Accidental Calorie Bombs.

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Mini brownie concrete at Freddy's Steakburger - 840 calories. How do they even do that?!? :o

That's just cruel...it's got 'mini' in the name...hate to see what the "regular" one would have been if they offered it.

For me, it's Mexican food (restaurants)...even trying to eat good, I'm usually at my daily allowance for just about any meal out (1200-1300+), when I'm eating at a deficit. However, the last restaurant I went to, I had paddleboarded for a few hours beforehand, so I had a HUGE burn deficit (700-900), so I think I broke even for the day.

Pretty much eating just about anything out is a calorie bomb for me, but I try to plan accordingly. I love when I can make something similar at home for about 1/2 the calories.

Oh, one of the big surprises when I started counting calories was Ginger Ale...190 calories and 51 carbs for a 16+ oz bottle. You mean I switched from light beer at 95 calories a bottle to Ginger Ale to be healthier?! WTH?! No wonder I was gaining weight!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't often go to restaurants that have nutritional information available...I just work under the assumption that everything is somewhere between 800 - 1200 calories.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Cheesecake Factory... I used to get just the lettuce wrap appetizer for my meal, thinking it was a healthy option. This was before I counted calories. I was so irritated when I found out it was 1030 calories! For lettuce, cucumber, carrots, grilled chicken, and dipping sauces. I should have just gotten a slice of cheesecake.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just met with friends at Panera Bread, which I don't usually go to. I checked their menu for an afternoon dessert type thing and was surprised at how calorie dense their stuff was! I ended up just getting a tea for 0 calories sigh....

it's funny how subjective these things can be. i eat panera post workout a few times per month and i don't find it to be that bad considering the amount of food i get. i usually get a whole tuna sandwich, a cup of tomato soup and a bag of chips at 870. i've actually pre-logged it for today already.

She was looking at the desserts, which are eeeeevil. I can testify, having just eaten the debbil itself, a cinnamon crunch bagel with honey-walnut cream cheese (a modest 570 calories). It made me very happy.

Their meals are definitely much more reasonable: Last night I had the pick two with tomato soup and the Green Goddess salad with chicken, for 470 calories (baguette ruins that but I just can't say no to a baguette). I get the bagel with the 99-cent bakery item add-on and just discipline myself to save it for the next day.

Nowhere near as bad as one of my all-time favorite bombs, the bacon-guac burger at Red Robin, for 1000-ish calories of pure deliciousness.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Almost any salad dressing at a restaurant. At the Wood Ranch BBQ their caesar salad is about 300 calories and then with dressing it's almost 1000. Crazy. I ate shrimp and rice instead.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Panera desserts were definitely created by the devil! The last time I was there I did the pick two for lunch: tomato soup and half a steak-and-white-cheddar panini, plus an irresistable baguette, was 980 calories. I bought two pastries to take home for later, figuring it would be bad but it couldn't possibly be equal to another lunch or anything, right? WRONG! One cheese danish + one chocolate chip cookie + 840 calories.

(Definitely the devil.)

Oh, and I'm sure we all remember the tear that rolled down our cheeks the first time we weighed peanut butter.
    I only learned about a month ago how traitorous peanut butter is. My tear hasn't dried yet.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Almost any salad dressing at a restaurant. At the Wood Ranch BBQ their caesar salad is about 300 calories and then with dressing it's almost 1000. Crazy. I ate shrimp and rice instead.

Good point! Salads are horrible at most restaurants. I went with a friend to Applebees. We split an appetizer, which I knew would be bad, so I got the Southwest Salad with Beef for my meal. Glad I only ate 1/2 of it and brought the rest home...it was over 1500 calories! I probably would have done better just getting a burger!
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Homemade chocolate chip cookies, regular teaspoon drop size. I had 9 the night of baking and logged over 700 calories from it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Just met with friends at Panera Bread, which I don't usually go to. I checked their menu for an afternoon dessert type thing and was surprised at how calorie dense their stuff was! I ended up just getting a tea for 0 calories sigh....

it's funny how subjective these things can be. i eat panera post workout a few times per month and i don't find it to be that bad considering the amount of food i get. i usually get a whole tuna sandwich, a cup of tomato soup and a bag of chips at 870. i've actually pre-logged it for today already.

It was an unexpected outing, after I had already pre-planned my calories for the day, so I wasn't going for a meal, but more of a 'coffee time' :) I wanted to get a cookie or muffin, until I realized how calorie dense they were. So I just stared longingly at my kid's muffin tops and enjoyed my tea lol. I calorie cycle and eat less calories during the week (today, for example is around 1,200 calories), so I can have higher calorie weekends (yesterday, for example was pushing 3,000). I just couldn't justify it (darn it!).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Moxie's Salted Caramel and Pecan Cheesecake. I knew it would be high cal. 1160 for the whole thing (it is only about 3 inches in diameter). Unbelievable.

@hollyrayburn Thanks for starting this. Great idea!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Panera desserts were definitely created by the devil! The last time I was there I did the pick two for lunch: tomato soup and half a steak-and-white-cheddar panini, plus an irresistable baguette, was 980 calories. I bought two pastries to take home for later, figuring it would be bad but it couldn't possibly be equal to another lunch or anything, right? WRONG! One cheese danish + one chocolate chip cookie + 840 calories.

(Definitely the devil.)

Oh, and I'm sure we all remember the tear that rolled down our cheeks the first time we weighed peanut butter.
    I only learned about a month ago how traitorous peanut butter is. My tear hasn't dried yet.

I cry about peanut butter. Every. Damn. Day.
  • freedomofnow
    freedomofnow Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    2,500 mg in the French Dip sub at Arby's. I don't watch my sodium, but that's CRAZY. Automatic water retention/bloat/extra two pounds on the scale for three days = not worth it.

That is crazy levels indeed. I'm a huge fan of smoked/salted meat, and these last days I found a ham that's delicious but 250 grams of it has like 3k mg of sodium.. I didn't realize it made you retain that much water.. That would explain the bloat aswell.

Also, agreed on the peanut butter and spaghetti. I had at least double the portions of both as normal before I started weighing stuff. Now I know better. :p
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Cheesecake Factory... I used to get just the lettuce wrap appetizer for my meal, thinking it was a healthy option. This was before I counted calories. I was so irritated when I found out it was 1030 calories! For lettuce, cucumber, carrots, grilled chicken, and dipping sauces. I should have just gotten a slice of cheesecake.

I eat dessert for my meal in those cases! :p
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    PriceK01 wrote: »
    Creme Brûlée martinis :open_mouth: I knew they were bad, but even worse than the splurge dinner I had??

True story, I once went to LA for a 4 day meeting and had creme brulee for dessert with every meal. I couldn't fit into the same pants I'd flown out there in. FOUR days later.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bagels. I weigh it, then log it... hello 440 calories. Sigh.

Every single dessert in every single restaurant really (or homemade, obviously). I ordered the 350 calories brownie at Applebee's one day... what a joke. It was gone in 3 bites.

I eat dessert for my meal in those cases! :p

That's where having blood sugar issues has been making me extremely unhappy lately... I feel like total crap if I do that now. Finally going to the doctor tomorrow to get to the bottom of this and I'm scared. I really miss the times when I could get away with a croissant or a piece of cake for breakfast. Really sucks when you have a sweet tooth.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ooh, hubby and I split a Great Wall of Chocolate piece of cake from PF Changs Friday night. Yep, that bad boy was 1550 calories. 775 calories for just me. Good thing I had banked calories for the week.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Homemade chocolate chip cookies, regular teaspoon drop size. I had 9 the night of baking and logged over 700 calories from it.

Yeah, my chocolate chip cookie recipe is about 115 per cookie. Oddly enough, when I make a double batch, they end up being 78 calories each (they end up smaller when I make a double, no idea why as I don't do it on purpose lol).
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a small peanut butter cup blizzard? That son of a gun is like 530 calories!