Accidental Calorie Bombs.

Options

Replies

• emilygduran
    emilygduran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Applebees salads are no joke! If I'm going there I get a yummy burger with broccoli as my side, it's the same as or less than, calorie wise. If I'm eating over 1000 cals it better be worth it lol.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a small peanut butter cup blizzard? That son of a gun is like 530 calories!
    I pretty much stick to mini Blizzards now. :s
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I made a cake for my mum's birthday with fifteen thousand calories in it one year.

I've probably done similar other times, but that time, I actually counted it up.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Applebees Fiesta Lime Chicken. It's a trap. Don't do it.

I didn't think a grilled chicken breast with some cheese melted on top, a handful of tortila strips and a side of rice would be that bad. It was 1189 calories!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Some kind of chocolate shake at Steak'n'Shake - I forget which one. I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't realize it was going to be 847 or 886 or whatever the heck it was. You'd think you'd be able to see the calories swimming backstroke in the cup, at that level!

Fatburger strawberry milkshake, made with real ice cream - they are stupendous and I love them, but at 970 calories I nearly fainted with shock the last time I had one!

Have to second what others are saying about restaurant salads too - we went out for dinner last night and I was checking out the nutritional info online beforehand. Most of their entree-sized salads were over 1000 calories! I had a steak, potato wedges, veggies AND coffee with cream for under 900, and I bet it all filled me up way more than a salad would have...

(To my wallet's distress, steak is becoming my go-to meal at restaurants because I know it'll be very filling and relatively low in calories. :) )
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm sure we all remember the tear that rolled down our cheeks the first time we weighed peanut butter.

I had just bought a kilo tub of almond butter. My favourite "healthy" snack was toast with a thin layer of coconut manna and almond butter.

And I hadn't been able to work out why I was piling on the pounds.... ;)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I used to order a grilled cheese sandwich and cup of tomato soup at Perkins.
    The grilled cheese sandwich: 600 calories
    The cup (10 oz) of soup is 410 calories and it's half cream and no, you can't order it made with water.
    1000 calories for a simple sandwich and tomato soup.
    Gah. Blergh.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Even burgers at McDonald's man. Something that takes 2 seconds to eat and is not filling one bit = 440-550 calories. WTF!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Skyline Chili's vegetarian black beans and rice deluxe burrito. It's a tortilla with the BB&R inside, sprinkled with shredded cheese, with shredded lettuce and tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream on it. 690 calories! Just a bowl of the BB&R is 400 calories. How is BB&R 400 cals?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Skyline Chili's vegetarian black beans and rice deluxe burrito. It's a tortilla with the BB&R inside, sprinkled with shredded cheese, with shredded lettuce and tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream on it. 690 calories! Just a bowl of the BB&R is 400 calories. How is BB&R 400 cals?

Oh easy. I made some black beans and rice with no fat added, and it's basically 1 calorie per gram. If I have half a bowl, it's around 200 calories... and again, no fat added. At least it's filling for the calories though!
    PennWalker wrote: »
    I used to order a grilled cheese sandwich and cup of tomato soup at Perkins.
    The grilled cheese sandwich: 600 calories
    The cup (10 oz) of soup is 410 calories and it's half cream and no, you can't order it made with water.
    1000 calories for a simple sandwich and tomato soup.
    Gah. Blergh.

Haha yeah. I love grilled cheese sandwiches but even when I make my own and use spray butter, it's often over 500 calories. And soups, unless it's chicken noodle or something... hard to fit in too. So much cream.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Twas no accident, but this morning's Lender's Blueberry Bagel. 220 Calories. Normally, I only do 1/2 of one, but I worked out on a fasted stomach from 0315-0530 before work, so I was famished. At least I "earned" it during treadmill time. Lol.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Even burgers at McDonald's man. Something that takes 2 seconds to eat and is not filling one bit = 440-550 calories. WTF!
    According to their website, one regular McDonald's hamburger is only 250 calories (a cheeseburger is 300). I haven't gone to McD's since September, but there's one on the way home from my dog's daycare and I used to go several times a month: my usual was two hamburgers and 4 chicken nuggets, which is 670 calories. What surprised me is that a Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese is worse than a Big Mac: 770 cal vs 540 cal!! :open_mouth:

• Francl27
    Options
    According to their website, one regular McDonald's hamburger is only 250 calories (a cheeseburger is 300). I haven't gone to McD's since September, but there's one on the way home from my dog's daycare and I used to go several times a month: my usual was two hamburgers and 4 chicken nuggets, which is 670 calories. What surprised me is that a Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese is worse than a Big Mac: 770 cal vs 540 cal!! :open_mouth:

Yeah I meant the bigger burgers, not the small ones. Even then though... 250/300 calories in 2 bites, and not filling at all. I don't know how they manage to get so many calories in them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Yeah I meant the bigger burgers, not the small ones. Even then though... 250/300 calories in 2 bites, and not filling at all. I don't know how they manage to get so many calories in them.

Most of the calories are in the bun.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've never had this issue at a restaurant, everything is what I expect. Also I don't go to chains often so sometimes ignorance is bliss, :p
    But for me, nuts. I mean, I knew they had a lot of calories but in the past I would always mindlessly grab them thinking they were all healthy and wonder why I wasn't losing weight, ha.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I've never had this issue at a restaurant, everything is what I expect. Also I don't go to chains often so sometimes ignorance is bliss, :p
    But for me, nuts. I mean, I knew they had a lot of calories but in the past I would always mindlessly grab them thinking they were all healthy and wonder why I wasn't losing weight, ha.

I could eat a whole can of nuts. Seriously. Which is why, when I want them, I go to the bulk section, and buy no more than two ounces. *sad face*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't care for most fast food burgers (restaurant burgers make me sad in general since I can do one at home for so many fewer calories that I normally like as well or more, although there are some that do think are worth it and will have occasionally). However, I always have found them plenty filling. Last time I had a fast food burger was last summer on the way back from Wisconsin after a hilly bike ride--road trips are when I do fast food--and I stopped at Culver's and had a single (390 calories) with small fries and found it filling. (The fries are the calorie bomb, IMO, but I like them enough on occasion to fit them in.)

For me, maybe caramel popcorn. I mean, I kind of knew, but someone gave my office a big bunch of it last year and I ate it like crazy. Then I was stuck in O'Hare for hours and decided to go buy some caramel popcorn at Nuts on Clark and actually looked at the calories and, sigh, couldn't bring myself to buy it. Sticking to regular popcorn spritzed with some olive oil and with salt only at home.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh man, fries. I miss fries. :(