Accidental Calorie Bombs.

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Oh, yea, speaking of who eats half...Stouffer's Mac and Cheese, regular sized tray (12oz)...box says 320 calories, until you look closely and realize there are 2 servings per box...it's ONE small tray of mac and cheese...so, that means when I eat the whole thing it's really 640 calories! Argh...always look at the number of servings!! But it's so disheartening sometimes. :/
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Costco pizza bought by my gaming group. Plain cheese pizza, can't be that bad, right? 700+ calories and it wasn't even good!!! :s
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Just think, we used to eat these things every day, sometimes multiple servings. Eesh! Knowledge IS power!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've seen a lot of things about Panera. While their pastries are horrible, if you want something delicious and low calorie....the turkey cranberry flatbread. ~310 calories, full of flavor and protein, and it is delicious and filling!
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had a strawberry superfood bowl at Juice Press yesterday and it was 660 calories! I was so bummed.
  • islandnugget
    islandnugget Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PF Chang's....I used to order their hot and sour soup all the time, until I discovered that one bowl has over 9,000 mg of sodium!! Why???? I mean, I know this type of food has a high sodium content anyway, but that's just ridiculous. Haven't touched it since.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    PF Chang's....I used to order their hot and sour soup all the time, until I discovered that one bowl has over 9,000 mg of sodium!! Why???? I mean, I know this type of food has a high sodium content anyway, but that's just ridiculous. Haven't touched it since.

That's super high but I think the big bowls are also meant to be split amongst the table so depending on how many cups you have, it's not unlike any other Chinese dish.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    :o:s I just had to go look.

Plenty of calorie bombs on their menu but that sodium is insane.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I have the ingredients in MFP recipes, but I will have to ask mom for the steps. Preparation is a little bit involved.

ETA:
    Who knew! She got it from the internet and conveniently there is a version of that website in English! No need for me to write the whole thing! The only changes she made was dry-roast the ground hazelnuts, use dark chocolate, increase the amount of chocolate in the mousse, and use chocolate shavings over the glaze.
    http://videoculinary.com/recipe/daniella-torte/

Don't click the link, don't click the link, don't click th................

Dammit. I clicked.

Yep, I fell for it too.

That might just have to be my Christmas cake now...!

@amusedmonkey Is it possible to freeze this, do you know? I'm not sure if my husband would eat it (although my son probably will), and I'd rather not have to finish it in a couple of days! :)

P.S. I love that you say the 'only' changes your mum makes is to basically add a ton more chocolate...! ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I have the ingredients in MFP recipes, but I will have to ask mom for the steps. Preparation is a little bit involved.

ETA:
    Who knew! She got it from the internet and conveniently there is a version of that website in English! No need for me to write the whole thing! The only changes she made was dry-roast the ground hazelnuts, use dark chocolate, increase the amount of chocolate in the mousse, and use chocolate shavings over the glaze.
    http://videoculinary.com/recipe/daniella-torte/

Don't click the link, don't click the link, don't click th................

Dammit. I clicked.

Yep, I fell for it too.

That might just have to be my Christmas cake now...!

@amusedmonkey Is it possible to freeze this, do you know? I'm not sure if my husband would eat it (although my son probably will), and I'd rather not have to finish it in a couple of days! :)

P.S. I love that you say the 'only' changes your mum makes is to basically add a ton more chocolate...! ;)

I'm not sure. I have not tried. We usually have it in the fridge and finish it within a couple of days. It has gelatine, so I'm not sure how freezing would affect it. It may cause it to fall apart in chunks and have a weird texture once defrosted.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    A cupcake I had a few months ago....when I looked it up to log it it was 780 cals. Needless to say I didn't eat dinner.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How about things you thought would be healthy and low calorie? Yogurt and granola with a banana on the side. That was close to 500 calories twice a day.
    The thing with restaurants is that I expect high calorie but I tend to be surprised by how big a portion I'm being served. I kind of wish I could order a child size portion of an entrée without it being a big fuss.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    How about things you thought would be healthy and low calorie? Yogurt and granola with a banana on the side. That was close to 500 calories twice a day.
    The thing with restaurants is that I expect high calorie but I tend to be surprised by how big a portion I'm being served. I kind of wish I could order a child size portion of an entrée without it being a big fuss.

Yes please. Most of the items on kids' menus are what a "normal" portion is supposed to be. Bonus: the foods are typically foods I want to eat without all the extras the adults' servings get. I haven't tried ordering from the kids' menu after I tried to do so in Disney World and got told I couldn't because I was too old.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

High calorie doesn't necessarily mean "unhealthy" and low calorie doesn't necessarily mean "healthy"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Granola is way high cal. There is some "paleo granola" a local place sells that (despite the name) is delicious and I wish I could eat it, but it's like 170 calories per serving but the servings are tiny (10 per not that large a bag) and I could easily polish off half a bag. Of course it's largely nuts and seeds. Not surprising, since I knew granola was high and theirs would be more focused on the even more high cal items, but still.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love ThinkThin high protein bars because they have little-to-no sugar (I'm a diabetic) and 20g of protein but are still edible, but logging them always makes me a little sad because a 2-oz bar of my favorite flavor has 230 calories. They tend to be my afternoon snack: I eat half of my daily calories at breakfast and lunch, so I always feel like I'm doing so well and can have a big dinner until I log that stupid bar. ;)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I order kids' meals quite a bit. It helps that I have a 12 year old so it kind of looks normal. We do Chipotle quite a bit and I get the kids chicken quesadilla with pinto beans, rice, and fajita veggies. It's probably a little different in a sit-down restaurant situation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Places are becoming less fussy about strict age limits. I order off the senior menu sometimes and have never gotten flack. I haven't tried ordering from the kids menu though.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My great aunt, who was in her 70s and had small appetite, routinely went to restaurants and ordered "half" portions. She never was refused and I guess most of them will do it but not advertise it.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Bisquits. Three tiny ones, so yummy, went to log them, 250 cal each!