GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    TMK0214 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You are getting very defensive and yet you are providing vague answers and/or avoiding questions. You got some advice you wanted to hear but there is other good information that has been shared that you're ignoring.

Let's try to be more specific.

Have you calculated your TDEE? If so, what is it?
    How much weight are you trying to lose total?
    What rate of loss did you select?
    What calorie goal did MFP provide you?
    If you could lose weight while eating what you consider "normal" food, would you want that?

Im simply responding to some of the comments that are very unnecessary. Like saying "genius" and "physics defying" like come on now, who knows if my MFP calorie goal was right or wrong, I was only writing what had happened last time. But anyways, my TDEE is 3760, I'm trying to lose at least 100 pounds. I selected 2lbs a week. And MFP gave me 2900 calories at the beginning but now that I took off the setting "very active" since I was told that doesn't include exercise, It went down to 2300 calories.

What people were responding to were your claims that if you ate "normal" foods, ie those with carbs, you gained weight. People (myself included) have been trying to make sure you understand that the basic energy balance of CICO means that if you eat less total calories than you burn, then you will lose weight, regardless of the types of foods, carbs or no carbs. It sounded like you said that if you ate your "diet foods" you could eat more than your TDEE and still lose, but eating any "normal" foods in a deficit caused you to gain. That's where the "physics defying" comments came in because that's simply not possible. Do you understand and agree?

Now back to the TDEE, that sounds REALLY high where did that number come from? If your TDEE was 3760 cals and you have only been eating 700 cals/day you are at a 3000 calorie deficit every single day and you'd be losing close to 1 lb/day. Even if it were possible, (and I frankly don't think your TDEE is that high I think it must be miscalculated somehow) it is certainly not sustainable.

I know you came in here looking for specific advice pertaining to eating more calories because you know the low intake isn't healthy, and that's good. But there is a lot of misinformation floating around, pseudoscience and woo and demonizing of certain foods and the people who have been responding are trying to make sure you understand the actual science and the big picture, not just looking at what you want to believe works best for you right now. Because so many of us have been there, we were convinced we had to do things a certain way or that our bodies were different or we couldn't lose if we ate certain things. Finally setting aside all those misconceptions and understanding the big picture is what finally enabled many to be able to establish long term success.

So I type in my age, weight, height etc and I tell you exactly what the website told me, and somehow once again it's miscalculated. Well if everything is just miscalculated just because people don't believe that the number is so high, i don't know what else to answer with. People ask me about calories I tell them what the goal says and it's "WRONG" well since different websites and MFP is wrong about my calorie goal, can someone please enlighten me about my calorie goal. But I understand that eating low carb isn't realistic for the rest of my life, I am doing this till I get the first 50 pounds or so off, and then I'm slowly going to introduce more healthy carbs into my life. Never will I go over 300g or so, but even 100-200 is enough once I hit a weight that I feel comfortable with.

What is your height and current weight? Perhaps we can help with your confusion.

I'm 5'11 and 345 lbs. Trying to get back to my pre pregnancy weight which was 240-250lbs, and of course after I get down to 250, I'm aiming for 170lbs.

Your TDEE (from website below) is 2863 for sedentary, 3280 for lightly active, 3698 for moderately active.....no way you workout for 5 hours a week on 900 calories a day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

So eating 1800 calories for 7 days a week (no exercise) gives you a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. That's a weekly weight loss of 2 pounds. That would be a healthy range for you.

Eat enough fuel for basic bodily function (BMR) and helps you sustain a diet long term. At 345 you have a long road ahead of you. 1800 gives you enough to have a treat every day. Learn healthy portions for your regular foods. That's how we learn how to maintain. Our diets while losing weight should have something in common with our diets while maintaining.

900 calories is going to get old really quickly. People that eat this low regularly have help from medical professionals (vitamin shots, etc). I you aren't eating enough to fuel your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc (on a regular basis) you are asking for health problems.

I go to the gym every day for about 1-3 hours depending on how much time I have because I still have my child at home, and last week I lost 9 pounds in 2 days which I know was probably water weight, either way I know 900 calories will get old, I'm NOT trying to eat only 900 calories that's why I asked for help with bringing them up, because like I've stated before.. I know that it is unhealthy especially for my body type. I want to keep it between 1200-1500

From what TeaBea posted, that's too aggressive a goal, given your activity levels.

You should be eating at least 1800.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    You are getting very defensive and yet you are providing vague answers and/or avoiding questions. You got some advice you wanted to hear but there is other good information that has been shared that you're ignoring.

If you could lose weight while eating what you consider "normal" food, would you want that?

Im simply responding to some of the comments that are very unnecessary. Like saying "genius" and "physics defying" like come on now, who knows if my MFP calorie goal was right or wrong, I was only writing what had happened last time. But anyways, my TDEE is 3760, I'm trying to lose at least 100 pounds. I selected 2lbs a week. And MFP gave me 2900 calories at the beginning but now that I took off the setting "very active" since I was told that doesn't include exercise, It went down to 2300 calories.

What people were responding to were your claims that if you ate "normal" foods, ie those with carbs, you gained weight. People (myself included) have been trying to make sure you understand that the basic energy balance of CICO means that if you eat less total calories than you burn, then you will lose weight, regardless of the types of foods, carbs or no carbs. It sounded like you said that if you ate your "diet foods" you could eat more than your TDEE and still lose, but eating any "normal" foods in a deficit caused you to gain. That's where the "physics defying" comments came in because that's simply not possible. Do you understand and agree?

Now back to the TDEE, that sounds REALLY high where did that number come from? If your TDEE was 3760 cals and you have only been eating 700 cals/day you are at a 3000 calorie deficit every single day and you'd be losing close to 1 lb/day. Even if it were possible, (and I frankly don't think your TDEE is that high I think it must be miscalculated somehow) it is certainly not sustainable.

I know you came in here looking for specific advice pertaining to eating more calories because you know the low intake isn't healthy, and that's good. But there is a lot of misinformation floating around, pseudoscience and woo and demonizing of certain foods and the people who have been responding are trying to make sure you understand the actual science and the big picture, not just looking at what you want to believe works best for you right now. Because so many of us have been there, we were convinced we had to do things a certain way or that our bodies were different or we couldn't lose if we ate certain things. Finally setting aside all those misconceptions and understanding the big picture is what finally enabled many to be able to establish long term success.

So I type in my age, weight, height etc and I tell you exactly what the website told me, and somehow once again it's miscalculated. Well if everything is just miscalculated just because people don't believe that the number is so high, i don't know what else to answer with. People ask me about calories I tell them what the goal says and it's "WRONG" well since different websites and MFP is wrong about my calorie goal, can someone please enlighten me about my calorie goal. But I understand that eating low carb isn't realistic for the rest of my life, I am doing this till I get the first 50 pounds or so off, and then I'm slowly going to introduce more healthy carbs into my life. Never will I go over 300g or so, but even 100-200 is enough once I hit a weight that I feel comfortable with.

What is your height and current weight? Perhaps we can help with your confusion.

I'm 5'11 and 345 lbs. Trying to get back to my pre pregnancy weight which was 240-250lbs, and of course after I get down to 250, I'm aiming for 170lbs.

Your TDEE (from website below) is 2863 for sedentary, 3280 for lightly active, 3698 for moderately active.....no way you workout for 5 hours a week on 900 calories a day.

So eating 1800 calories for 7 days a week (no exercise) gives you a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. That's a weekly weight loss of 2 pounds. That would be a healthy range for you.

Eat enough fuel for basic bodily function (BMR) and helps you sustain a diet long term. At 345 you have a long road ahead of you. 1800 gives you enough to have a treat every day. Learn healthy portions for your regular foods. That's how we learn how to maintain. Our diets while losing weight should have something in common with our diets while maintaining.

900 calories is going to get old really quickly. People that eat this low regularly have help from medical professionals (vitamin shots, etc). I you aren't eating enough to fuel your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc (on a regular basis) you are asking for health problems.

I go to the gym every day for about 1-3 hours depending on how much time I have because I still have my child at home, and last week I lost 9 pounds in 2 days which I know was probably water weight, either way I know 900 calories will get old, I'm NOT trying to eat only 900 calories that's why I asked for help with bringing them up, because like I've stated before.. I know that it is unhealthy especially for my body type. I want to keep it between 1200-1500

the thing is at your weight you can eat more and still lose weight. what happens if you eat say 1200-1500 now,and say you lose 50 lbs and you adjust your calorie goal(mfp suggests you do it every 10lbs or so) to fit your new weight,where are you going to go calorie wise if only eating say 1200? you cant eat lower than that. right now you should be eating as much as you can and still be losing weight. too much of a deficit is not going to be sustainable or healthy. sure in the beginning for you it may be ok to lose a little faster,but 2lbs a week is about right,eventually you are going to have to drop that to 1 or 1.5 lbs,and then eventually down to .5 if you still have some weight to lose by then. faster is not always better or healthier. if you want to eat low carb thats fine too.
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member

From what TeaBea posted, that's too aggressive a goal, given your activity levels.

You should be eating at least 1800.

Well after I got some advice earlier, I added more calories and I currently have 1600, I just added more oils and butter, and made cream cheese pancakes which I can manage to eat even after being full. If my body still needs more, I'll just drink the rest like someone suggested earlier.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Just curious, since you work at a restaurant. Any chance that you might be unconsciously snacking throughout the day, and not realizing or logging it?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Carbs are not bad. They will not make youfator stop you losing weight. When you are inon a low carb diet you carry a little less water than if you are eating carbs. That means when you transition into low carb, your weight drops by a few pounds, and when you go back to eating carbs, it goes back up again. That is not fat, it is water.. Eating carbs or not eating carbs will not affect your weight loss over time. The only thing which affects weight loss over time is how much you eat (calories).

You are in a very common quandary, you've been fed a lot of diet myths about "good" and "bad" foods, low carb eating being "healthy" eating and so on. All low carb is is a way to control your appetite and help you eat less. If you're getting full while undereating, low carb may not be for you. Carbs are a good source of energy and adding them back to your diet in moderation will help you meet your goals. Yes, your weight will spike temporarily as you take on more water, but if you stick to your calorie goal it will start to go down again.

You say you "know what works", but having to diet repeatedly to lose the same weight over and over means your method is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Try a different approach this time. Eat "normally", but in moderation, accept it will take time to lose weight and concentrate on how you're going to eat to maintain your weight loss forever - not lose it quickly with extreme methods and then go back to your old habits and gain it back again.

I have tried eating "normal" and working out, it doesn't really do anything to my weight, I either gain or stay the same which is not what i am trying to do. And the reason I keep having to do this is not really because of this "low carb" thing, it's more me getting lazy and having stuff to do to where I don't feel like working out, and me having gained 70+ pounds during my pregnancy which I am now trying to lose. If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work, just looking to eat more calories that is all

A few more thoughts for consideration and I'm out. ;) When you were eating your "normal" food choices, were you scrupulously weighing & logging everything you ate? Do you know how to properly log grains & pasta (many don't)? Were you still using the 2300 calorie allowance, because frankly that sounds very high to me for anyone who isn't morbidly obese or very active? Could your activity level be set too high? How long did these experiments last? Because anything less than a month or two would not have been an accurate reflection or success/failure, and if you were adding workouts to your routine at the same time, they cause a water weight spike as your body retains water for muscle repair.

"If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work." Well, of course it will. Anyone could say that about any diet. But long term commitment to low-carb takes a special soul, IMO. And I'd hate to see you lose a bunch, grow weary of that way of eating, start over-indulging in "normal" foods, and then have to do this again. Wish you the best! :)

No like I have said before, when I was eating "normal" I was not weighing my food, only eyeballing it and eating very very small portions. And when I was doing it my calorie goal was like 2000. And I used to always go over it by a little but still kept on losing weight, I was on the diet for about 6 months. And my calories are actually set to 2900 right now because of my height and weight. And I have my activity level set to "active" because I go to the gym daily for about 2 hours. And thank you, I'm hoping I won't have to do it again either.

OK, this is really the last time, but I have to point this out. "I have my activity level set to active because I go to the gym daily." Your activity level is not meant to include exercise. Any calorie allowance you have received at this setting is woefully inflated.

And I just have to- you were eyeballing your portions and going over your calorie allowance and "still kept on losing weight", but you have asserted just the opposite several times. Please, OP- you can do this. But you need to educate yourself and take a balanced approach.

Either you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong... I was eyeballing my portions when I WASNT on a diet. Still kept gaining or It stayed the same.. And when I was on a diet last year till beginning of this year, I was eating more than my calorie goal and kept losing weight..

How were you tracking your calories when this physics-defying feat happened?

Because MFP calorie goals aren't always accurate.. smart *kitten*. I'm annoyed by some of these comments

Wow...and you want people to help you?!?

They're not helping anymore! I already got a few helpful comments and took the advice, all the "smart" comments aren't needed. How is questioning me in THAT way being helpful ? You know they're being sarcastic right.

I do but what you are saying is not making any sense so I can see where they are coming from and you are being insulting.

How am I not making any sense? My calories are too low I wanted to know a few tricks to get that number up without adding carbs. A few helpful tips I got were drink your calories and add butter, and I did that and it worked good. I only said that in the past, when MFP gave me a calorie goal, I used to be over it and managed to still lose weight.. that is all, don't see where that doesn't make any sense. Maybe the calories weren't accurate, who knows.

Um...eat more food?!? Like others have said...carbs aren't bad and they don't make you fat. Too many calories do.

I don't WANT to eat MORE food because I'm already full with those 900 calories of food like I've stated before, I'm trying to stop the habit of eating after I'm already full, so that's really bad advice

Like I said, this seems worrisome, and I would highly advice going to a doctor and trying to see a dietitian to talk about what a good healthy diet is. It could just be dieter's honeymoon, but you shouldn't feel "stuffed" or unable to eat more in that case, and being resistant to eating a reasonable number of calories (especially if you are exercising 2 hours a day and over 300 lbs) seems really troubling. It could be psychological. Or, if you are really gaining on what you think is really low calories just from eating some noodles, you could be eating many more calories than you think.

Or -- and this is the less troubling explanation -- you could be out of touch with hunger signals and thinking you should only eat if really hunger/craving (especially if that was a problem pre low carb) and if so you need to learn to eat appropriately.

In any case, the answer is eat more food. If necessary, eat different food, specifically (if you want to keep doing low carb) more fat.

You claim to be eating 900 calories with a teaspoon of oil, broccoli and chicken. Eat chicken with skin and dark meal or other kinds of meat, add more fat, add some full fat dairy or avocado, eat some nuts and seeds, eat nut butter on celery, stuff like that. Join the low carb group and ask about what they eat.
  • TMK0214
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Just curious, since you work at a restaurant. Any chance that you might be unconsciously snacking throughout the day, and not realizing or logging it?

No I don't eat while at work, and when I do go on break I go to my house since I live down the street and have my meals prepped
  • TMK0214
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carbs are not bad. They will not make youfator stop you losing weight. When you are inon a low carb diet you carry a little less water than if you are eating carbs. That means when you transition into low carb, your weight drops by a few pounds, and when you go back to eating carbs, it goes back up again. That is not fat, it is water.. Eating carbs or not eating carbs will not affect your weight loss over time. The only thing which affects weight loss over time is how much you eat (calories).

You are in a very common quandary, you've been fed a lot of diet myths about "good" and "bad" foods, low carb eating being "healthy" eating and so on. All low carb is is a way to control your appetite and help you eat less. If you're getting full while undereating, low carb may not be for you. Carbs are a good source of energy and adding them back to your diet in moderation will help you meet your goals. Yes, your weight will spike temporarily as you take on more water, but if you stick to your calorie goal it will start to go down again.

You say you "know what works", but having to diet repeatedly to lose the same weight over and over means your method is not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Try a different approach this time. Eat "normally", but in moderation, accept it will take time to lose weight and concentrate on how you're going to eat to maintain your weight loss forever - not lose it quickly with extreme methods and then go back to your old habits and gain it back again.

I have tried eating "normal" and working out, it doesn't really do anything to my weight, I either gain or stay the same which is not what i am trying to do. And the reason I keep having to do this is not really because of this "low carb" thing, it's more me getting lazy and having stuff to do to where I don't feel like working out, and me having gained 70+ pounds during my pregnancy which I am now trying to lose. If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work, just looking to eat more calories that is all

A few more thoughts for consideration and I'm out. ;) When you were eating your "normal" food choices, were you scrupulously weighing & logging everything you ate? Do you know how to properly log grains & pasta (many don't)? Were you still using the 2300 calorie allowance, because frankly that sounds very high to me for anyone who isn't morbidly obese or very active? Could your activity level be set too high? How long did these experiments last? Because anything less than a month or two would not have been an accurate reflection or success/failure, and if you were adding workouts to your routine at the same time, they cause a water weight spike as your body retains water for muscle repair.

"If I actually stick with this diet and stay motivated I'm 100% sure that it'll work." Well, of course it will. Anyone could say that about any diet. But long term commitment to low-carb takes a special soul, IMO. And I'd hate to see you lose a bunch, grow weary of that way of eating, start over-indulging in "normal" foods, and then have to do this again. Wish you the best! :)

No like I have said before, when I was eating "normal" I was not weighing my food, only eyeballing it and eating very very small portions. And when I was doing it my calorie goal was like 2000. And I used to always go over it by a little but still kept on losing weight, I was on the diet for about 6 months. And my calories are actually set to 2900 right now because of my height and weight. And I have my activity level set to "active" because I go to the gym daily for about 2 hours. And thank you, I'm hoping I won't have to do it again either.

OK, this is really the last time, but I have to point this out. "I have my activity level set to active because I go to the gym daily." Your activity level is not meant to include exercise. Any calorie allowance you have received at this setting is woefully inflated.

And I just have to- you were eyeballing your portions and going over your calorie allowance and "still kept on losing weight", but you have asserted just the opposite several times. Please, OP- you can do this. But you need to educate yourself and take a balanced approach.

Either you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong... I was eyeballing my portions when I WASNT on a diet. Still kept gaining or It stayed the same.. And when I was on a diet last year till beginning of this year, I was eating more than my calorie goal and kept losing weight..

How were you tracking your calories when this physics-defying feat happened?

Because MFP calorie goals aren't always accurate.. smart *kitten*. I'm annoyed by some of these comments

Wow...and you want people to help you?!?

They're not helping anymore! I already got a few helpful comments and took the advice, all the "smart" comments aren't needed. How is questioning me in THAT way being helpful ? You know they're being sarcastic right.

I do but what you are saying is not making any sense so I can see where they are coming from and you are being insulting.

How am I not making any sense? My calories are too low I wanted to know a few tricks to get that number up without adding carbs. A few helpful tips I got were drink your calories and add butter, and I did that and it worked good. I only said that in the past, when MFP gave me a calorie goal, I used to be over it and managed to still lose weight.. that is all, don't see where that doesn't make any sense. Maybe the calories weren't accurate, who knows.

Um...eat more food?!? Like others have said...carbs aren't bad and they don't make you fat. Too many calories do.

I don't WANT to eat MORE food because I'm already full with those 900 calories of food like I've stated before, I'm trying to stop the habit of eating after I'm already full, so that's really bad advice

Like I said, this seems worrisome, and I would highly advice going to a doctor and trying to see a dietitian to talk about what a good healthy diet is. It could just be dieter's honeymoon, but you shouldn't feel "stuffed" or unable to eat more in that case, and being resistant to eating a reasonable number of calories (especially if you are exercising 2 hours a day and over 300 lbs) seems really troubling. It could be psychological. Or, if you are really gaining on what you think is really low calories just from eating some noodles, you could be eating many more calories than you think.

Or -- and this is the less troubling explanation -- you could be out of touch with hunger signals and thinking you should only eat if really hunger/craving (especially if that was a problem pre low carb) and if so you need to learn to eat appropriately.

In any case, the answer is eat more food. If necessary, eat different food, specifically (if you want to keep doing low carb) more fat.

You claim to be eating 900 calories with a teaspoon of oil, broccoli and chicken. Eat chicken with skin and dark meal or other kinds of meat, add more fat, add some full fat dairy or avocado, eat some nuts and seeds, eat nut butter on celery, stuff like that. Join the low carb group and ask about what they eat.

That's what I started doing today, adding more oils, butter and things like that, it got me up from 900 to 1600 and I also made some cream cheese pancakes which were high in calories
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If literally all you are eating is chicken and broccoli, and chicken and asparagus (with some butter or oil) the reason you get full after only 900 calories could be that you are sick of it.

I once did a week juice fast and was probably getting less than 900 calories per day, yet feeling full, because I was so sick of (tired of/bored with) what I was eating.

If you want to stick to low carb, why not join the low carb group and get some suggestions for more interesting recipes that will help you eat more? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • TMK0214

the thing is at your weight you can eat more and still lose weight. what happens if you eat say 1200-1500 now,and say you lose 50 lbs and you adjust your calorie goal(mfp suggests you do it every 10lbs or so) to fit your new weight,where are you going to go calorie wise if only eating say 1200? you cant eat lower than that. right now you should be eating as much as you can and still be losing weight. too much of a deficit is not going to be sustainable or healthy. sure in the beginning for you it may be ok to lose a little faster,but 2lbs a week is about right,eventually you are going to have to drop that to 1 or 1.5 lbs,and then eventually down to .5 if you still have some weight to lose by then. faster is not always better or healthier. if you want to eat low carb thats fine too.

It just seems that the suggested 2000+ and some cases even 3000 calories, seems SUPER high! I'm probably gonna try to stick to about 1800-2000 calories then. Since I eat a lot of veggies with my food they fill me up so quickly, and then all the butter and oil I add to it fills me up too. Today I reached over 1500 so I guess that's a good start. Like I said I don't have a problem eating more calories, that's what I want to do. What ever is healthy and still makes me lose weight is fine with me.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

It just seems that the suggested 2000+ and some cases even 3000 calories, seems SUPER high! I'm probably gonna try to stick to about 1800-2000 calories then. Since I eat a lot of veggies with my food they fill me up so quickly, and then all the butter and oil I add to it fills me up too. Today I reached over 1500 so I guess that's a good start. Like I said I don't have a problem eating more calories, that's what I want to do. What ever is healthy and still makes me lose weight is fine with me.

The calories you can eat now and still remain in an overall deficit are going to be high because of your current weight. As you lose weight, you will need to adjust your calories, and you won't be able to eat as much and still remain in a deficit (assuming your activity level stays what it is now). Losing weight too quickly puts you at the risk of losing muscle mass in addition to fat; that's another reason people are encouraging you to go ahead and eat 1800 to 2000 calories (counted accurately - food scale) for now. Like I said, at some point, you're going to have to revise that number downward, once you've lost some weight.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Eleonora91 wrote: »
    It's quite unlikely that your calorie intake is so low if you're even adding high-calorie seasonings such as olive oil and butter. 1 table spoon of olive oil has around 90-110 kcals depending on how many grams of oil you can fit in the volume of your table spoon (around 10-13g though), and 15g of butter have around 115 kcals. So each of them will make up for 10% of a 1000-kcal diet. Maybe you could try to open your diary so that everyone can give ideas on how to increase your calorie intake?

How do I open my diary? Most of the foods (not all) are in German since I'm in Germany so I don't know how much that will help but I don't mind posting it. And the reason olive oil doesn't take up much of my calories because I only use one teaspoon. And I barely use 15g of butter. Maybe about 5g, but since people gave me some advice on here I have started using more butter to add calories and fat.

You should be able to change your settings and open your diary to everyone on MFP. So we could give you tips on how to increase your servings in order to get more calories :) for example, eating a table spoon of olive oil and a reasonable serving of butter of 15g! that should add up quite fast!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

yep try that for awhile say a month or 2. then if you arent losing then you can drop it say 100 calories. but you should be losing something eating that much. when I first started out I was 209 and lost eating 2000 or a little more.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Hey everybody.
    So my calorie goal on here is about 2300. But after I get done logging all of my food at the end of the day I'm always between 700-900 calories. I'm trying to eat very healthy, I eat chicken, asparagus, broccoli I also add butter, olive oil etc. and I'm super full after my meals, yet I can't make it past 900 calories what am I doing wrong?!

The bolded part is often the problem when people complain that they are eating too few calories. Healthy, is not a food or ingredient but a diet (in the true sense of the word - what you eat). So healthy will be balanced, including P/F/C and at an appropriate level for your activity.

I love this post/sentence... I would tweak it just slightly to say: "Healhty is not a food, or ingredient, but an overall diet (in the true sense of the word - what you eat). So a healthy diet will be balanced, including P/F/C, does not need to exclude any particular foods, and is at an appropriate calorie level for your activity and goals".

I think that's a good addition :)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Just want to add that appetite is not necessarily a good indicator of caloric needs. Feeling full after 900 calories doesn't mean your body only needs 900 calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I'm not going to read all the arguments and opinions but I will add that to get up to 345lbs, you consumed more calories than you burned for a long period of time.

1) Don't expect to lose weight over night
    2) You are not full on 900 calories
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I once read on here "Whoever eats the most and still loses weight wins." I fully subscribe to that theory, after 100 pounds down.