"You can lose weight without working out". YES. But...

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I dont exercize, iv lost 54lbs. I walk to the shops and walk the dog, look after my toddler and work....I.dont really stop all day. So theres no chance in hell im getting up at 4am to do a run or wasting precious evenings at the gym when I dont need to. U dont need exercize to lose weight or to be healthy.

"I don't exercize"
    but
    "I walk to the shops and walk the dog"

So you do exercise...............

I think people are defining the term exercise differently. To me-walking the dog, walking while doing errands etc is just being active in your every day life and not 'exercise' per se.

But for some very sedentary people (whether by choice or physical limitations) what you consider normal *would* constitute exercise for them. ;)
    My take from what that poster said is that walking her dog isn't "exercise" because she does it everyday and doesn't have to put on special clothes and drive to a gym. And I'm sure if she logged that as exercise, certain MFPers would ride her for it.

Just to point out, many here would say that poster should include anything she does every day in her daily activity setting (ie: lightly active) rather than separately log walking the dog. Me, I walk 10 hours a day and have my activity set to moderately active. Yes, all that walking is exercise, but I do it daily and include it in my activity setting. I do walking videos 3-4 times a week and log those as exercise.

General comment - if people don't want to exercise, they don't need to. It doesn't make them less healthy or care less about their health. It just means they don't exercise.

All reputable medical organizations would disagree with your general comment.

I'm quite sure most medical organizations would count being active and walking as good enough though. Don't know about walking the dog... but I guess it depends on the dog. Mine doesn't really stop a lot (he will only pee and poop in our backyard), so I can still walk pretty fast with him, but he hates other dogs, so I usually don't walk him anyway (not relaxing at all when he spazzes out every time he gets barked at).

I definitely want my next dog to be a good walking/hiking dog though.

This is what the US CDC recommends as a minimal levels of exercise. Walking the dog at a brisk pace would count toward the recommendation.

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/

For Important Health Benefits
    Adults need at least:

walking 2 hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., brisk walking) every week and
    - weight trainingmuscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

OR

jogging 1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., jogging or running) every week and
    -strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

OR

An equivalent mix of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity and
    -strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

About 20% of US adults meet the minimum guidelines:
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0502-physical-activity.html
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I went in search of...What defines brisk walking. It varied but this was the most common that I found.

Brisk/moderate walking - 3.0 to 4.5

Or

At least 100 steps per minute.

I usually average 3.5 on my walks. I average 2200 steps per mile. Last week I curious so I tested myself. The block around my apartment complex is 1/2 mile. I took me 15 mins. to walk it twice. Approx. 2200 steps so that put me at 150 steps per minute.

I think that sometimes we over estimate our level of exertion...I know that I do at times.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    In for dogs...
    What kind is that?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    This thread is really making me want a dog, darn it!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Hah. We've converted a crazy cat lady.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Cats can be trained on leashes! Lol
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    In for dogs...
    What kind is that?

Morkie (half Yorkie, half Maltese)
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure my cats would murder me in my sleep if I tried it lol. Since we started getting snow they refuse to even go outside and they're supposed to be mostly outdoor cats :p
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Hah. We've converted a crazy cat lady.

Almost! We've had really bad luck with dogs (2 of my kids have physical scars to prove it sigh....). So I'm now firmly on team 'cat', but all of these pictures are making me want a puppy.... darn you all lol.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure my cats would murder me in my sleep if I tried it lol. Since we started getting snow they refuse to even go outside and they're supposed to be mostly outdoor cats :p

I here you! Murderous! I didn't want you to feel left out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Jackson Galaxy has recommended a harness for some cats, and even though my two are well-behaved I've long considered getting one. Mostly so I can safely walk them around my roof deck, though, as I don't trust them out there now, as cats can do crazy things. I think there are too many dogs (and people) in my neighborhood to actually take a kitty for a walk, but certainly not until the weather improves anyway. (All the local dogs seem to have little booties for going outside -- apparently not so much because of the ice and snow, as because the salt is hard on them. My neighbors have a standard poodle and a miniature, and it's funny because the little one seems okay with the weather, whereas the big one leaps back indoors as if going outside was a torment.)

I will say again that I am loving the dog photos!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    This wasnt done on purpose, but we used to put our shih-tzu Emma who's in my previous pic, in the pram when she got too old and slow to walk far when we walked the other dogs, and our cat Archie jumped in the pram as soon as soon as we got it out, so he came along too! People must have thought we were mad, walking a dog AND a cat in a damn stroller :lol:

My worst was having a small terrier in a backpack. She liked to get out for a walk but was pretty old at the time and couldn't go far. So I'd just walk around and she'd look around at things.

Worst part about pets is when they leave us.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This wasnt done on purpose, but we used to put our shih-tzu Emma who's in my previous pic, in the pram when she got too old and slow to walk far when we walked the other dogs, and our cat Archie jumped in the pram as soon as soon as we got it out, so he came along too! People must have thought we were mad, walking a dog AND a cat in a damn stroller :lol:

My worst was having a small terrier in a backpack. She liked to get out for a walk but was pretty old at the time and couldn't go far. So I'd just walk around and she'd look around at things.

Worst part about pets is when they leave us.

Yes, after my current dog leaves us i would have to think long and hard about getting another one.. They truly do break your heart when they leave us :cry:

As for the backpack thing, i think that's an awesome idea! I considered getting one of those front facing baby slings for Emma, she would have loved it, but i never got around to doing it. She still loved going for walks toward the end, but after 5 minutes she stood still like a stubborn little baby goat and tried turning around to go home lol