Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The complexity of weight loss

Options
123457»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Azdak fair point. I have indeed reintroduced syrup but at a much smaller quantity. Like a tablespoon.

Good. I was about to report you.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    So, there was a piece last night on fo25Boston about exactly this topic. I can't find the video segment yet, but it was like watching one of the debates here play out live. I'm guessing this is the piece the video played off of.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/mgh-treating-obesity-like-a-disease-could-improve-weight-loss-strategies/481166915
    In the last few years the view of what causes obesity and how best to treat it has changed. Bottom line: for some overweight people calories in vs. calories out is not the only answer.

The doctors and staff at MGH are now treating obesity and being overweight as a disease.

"If you had any other disease process, you would likely not blame yourself for that disease. So if you got breast cancer you wouldn't say oh my goodness this is my fault," said Dr. Fatima Cody Stanford, who practices obesity medicine at MGH Weight Center.
    The link for the MGH Weight Center wouldn't open for me, and there's not much to what I linked other than the bolded above.

The whole thing gave the impression that they're really going after this, and one person interviewed all but stated that if you're overweight and doing CICO, you'll probably fail.

I just thought it interesting hearing it on TV.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    So, there was a piece last night on fo25Boston about exactly this topic. I can't find the video segment yet, but it was like watching one of the debates here play out live. I'm guessing this is the piece the video played off of.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/mgh-treating-obesity-like-a-disease-could-improve-weight-loss-strategies/481166915
    In the last few years the view of what causes obesity and how best to treat it has changed. Bottom line: for some overweight people calories in vs. calories out is not the only answer.

The doctors and staff at MGH are now treating obesity and being overweight as a disease.

"If you had any other disease process, you would likely not blame yourself for that disease. So if you got breast cancer you wouldn't say oh my goodness this is my fault," said Dr. Fatima Cody Stanford, who practices obesity medicine at MGH Weight Center.
    The link for the MGH Weight Center wouldn't open for me, and there's not much to what I linked other than the bolded above.

The whole thing gave the impression that they're really going after this, and one person interviewed all but stated that if you're overweight and doing CICO, you'll probably fail.

Momentarily hijacking the thread, and pulling a quote from the article @Cylphin60 quoted:

I did get breast cancer, and after learning more about it, I did say something close: That my behavior had materially increased the likelihood that I'd get breast cancer. Obesity, lack of exercise, and regular heavier alcohol consumption (as in 2-3 drinks most days) are all factors that increase risk, and I did them. Maybe not 100% my own fault, but I probably contributed.

Nothing is our own darn fault? Jeesh.

We are Just Helpless, have no personal influence/power over anything, and need well-compensated experts to change our lives for us? Mmm-hmm. Sure.

Sorry for the hijack. But it was a stupid freakin' analogy by Doc Stanford. Ticked me off.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Momentarily hijacking the thread, and pulling a quote from the article @Cylphin60 quoted:

I did get breast cancer, and after learning more about it, I did say something close: That my behavior had materially increased the likelihood that I'd get breast cancer. Obesity, lack of exercise, and regular heavier alcohol consumption (as in 2-3 drinks most days) are all factors that increase risk, and I did them. Maybe not 100% my own fault, but I probably contributed.

Nothing is our own darn fault? Jeesh.

We are Just Helpless, have no personal influence/power over anything, and need well-compensated experts to change our lives for us? Mmm-hmm. Sure.

Sorry for the hijack. But it was a stupid freakin' analogy by Doc Stanford. Ticked me off.

@AnnPT77 - I don't think it's a hijack at all. I had much the same reaction as you. I just didn't say it. :)