You know you're old when...

Options

Replies

• SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    When you go to your brother's wedding and at the rehearsal ask him, "Who is that super hot (young) guy?" and your brother says it's the baby brother of the best man... and you realize the last time you saw him was when he was a new born baby and you changed his diaper while babysitting him and his siblings... about 20 years ago. :sad:
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, when 24 was still on TV, I mentioned to a co-worker that Rick Schroder signed on for a season. The conversation that ensued:

Co-worker: "Who's Rick Schroder?"
    Me: "He was the kid on Silver Spoons."
    Co-worker: "Was that a western?"
    Me: "How old do you think I am?" (btw, I was only like 4-5 years older than her, but that sure made me feel older!)
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You had a typewriter at university. Sigh...
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When the latest NFL draft picks are young enough to be your child.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    When you realize you've been out of highschool for four years.hollly efff.

4? ...I'm a little closer to a decade...haha

3 decades here!! Yea...I'm old!
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When your kids look at your old LPs and ask what they are...

The same as above with VHS tapes, diskettes, and the first Mario brothers game for nintendo
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When I had to explain to a co-worker what the Challenger disaster was, and the fact she couldn't name the 4 Beatles.....

That doesn't make her old. That makes her... uneducated.

When the kids you babysat for when they were babies are having babies of their own.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

4? ...I'm a little closer to a decade...haha

I'm over 4 decades. Geez.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

The same as above with VHS tapes, diskettes, and the first Mario brothers game for nintendo

My 17yo son W, who has a taste for rock n' roll music of the 70's, recently bought a turn-table. My husband offered to let my son go through his collection of LP's from back in the day. W made a day of it and went home with about 3 doz albums. He posted about on FB and said "my stepdad gave me a bunch of albums, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and some band called "Nazareth". Got a kick outta that!
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    1. When some young whippersnapper gives you the senior citizen discount at a store and you know you don't qualify for it based on age.

2. When you use the word whippersnapper.

3. When you say something and you look around for your parents and realize it was coming out of your mouth.

4. The first time you say 'GET OFF MY LAWN".
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am only 27 but I realised that I am old when the radio station I've been listening to for years played a song that made me say out loud 'wtf is that *kitten*?' and I had to turn it off. It was some really, really, exceptionally stupid 'song' that just kept repeating 'bubble butt' over and over again. O_O The feck?

So yeah, I am old now.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    ...when some of the people responding to the "you know you're old when" topic are young enough to be your children!
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options

My 17yo son W, who has a taste for rock n' roll music of the 70's, recently bought a turn-table. My husband offered to let my son go through his collection of LP's from back in the day. W made a day of it and went home with about 3 doz albums. He posted about on FB and said "my stepdad gave me a bunch of albums, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and some band called "Nazareth". Got a kick outta that!

My kids (11 y.o. twins) were fascinated by my LPs and how they worked. "How did you get music in the car then?" my son said. :) I ended up taking them to my dads house so they could hear some of the albums on his turntable. It was great to see that!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    1. When some young whippersnapper gives you the senior citizen discount at a store and you know you don't qualify for it based on age.

2. When you use the word whippersnapper.

3. When you say something and you look around for your parents and realize it was coming out of your mouth.

4. The first time you say 'GET OFF MY LAWN".

Hahaha! I've been calling young people "whippersnappers" since high school.

I'm also always peering through my blinds and mumbling at my neighbors' children when they're being loud and playing in my yard.

The other day my fiance and I were driving down the interstate and there was a car with some kids (ages 18 - 19ish) and I said "Let's get passed this car... I don't trust those hooligans." So yeah... being old isn't just about age I guess ;)
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When you start to use yellow sticky cards for 'all I need to do tomorrow', when kids are annoying you and the radio is always bit to loud
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When you turn on the popular music station and are like "what is this noise?"

I'm only 25 but I find myself wondering what is going on with music today. Also, i have noticed a lot of music i grew up on the "lunchtime throwback". When they start referring to my music as "classics" I am truly felling old.
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    When you get that first dreaded invitation to join AARP. Which means my son is old at the age of 20 because he got an invitation at teh age of 20. Ooops.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    When all your nieces & nephews, who you swore was just knee high, are now taller than you, dating, & about to graduate high school.

When Nirvana is now considered "Classic Rock."

When you make an 80s movie reference & nobody gets it. :frown:
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    When you're buying a video game and the clerk assumes it's for your kid ....
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

LOL I was "out of high school for four years" 31 years ago