Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I just stopped drinking alcohol. We will see how long it lasts...
    Anyway, I want to get lean. I know WHAT to eat but not what NOT to eat.
    Any suggestions as to what NOT to eat so I can eliminate it from my diet and thoughts?
    Thanks!

What NOT to eat are extra calories. So eat what you prefer for your calories. As others mentioned above, make sure you get enough protein.

Figure out your TDEE based on activity level and subtract 250 calories a day for 1/2 pound loss a week or subtract 500 calories ftom TDEE to lose a pound a week and don't eat back calories.

Or you can use MFP calculations which is NEAT and eat back exercise calories (most only eat back 1/2). But all of these are estimates and will need tweaking. Be patient and eat what is sustainable for you!
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

Besides above, I won't eliminate anything else.

yea, I ate all those things, lost 50 pounds, and got to sub 15% body fat....I must be a freak of nature...

Not at all! It's just that your way isn't THE ONLY WAY! Your way worked for you and it would work for many others. But it might not work for someone else. So you don't need to blast anyone else's opinions in order to validate your own.

i ate in a calorie deficit, that works for everyone.

There's more to dieting/building muscle/losing fat/getting lean than simple math. That's what you don't seem to get.

Way to move the goal posts as we were only talking about weight loss..so here is a little refresher...

Calorie deficit for straight weight loss; macro micro adherence + structured lifting program for body comp goals....

Even getting lean and muscle building is still simple math. Lean mass in pounds * 0.8 = grams of protein for good muscle building/retention potential.

What I was getting at was the human factor. Read all the posts and think about what everyone is saying. I can say for me that some foods can trigger binge eating in moments of weakness. I know the math - that's the easy part. Everyone should learn the math and you've provided some good information. We need to understand the math but we also need a plan to execute and succeed. I've replaced some of my trigger foods with others that are a fraction of the calories and avoid other foods. I don't see what's so wrong about that. I like my plan and it works for me but I can't help but feel some people won't be happy until I go back to eating Krusteez pancakes smothered in maple syrup instead of my protein-packed whole grain Kodiak Cakes with berry syrup (delicious, by the way).

Anyway, you and ndj1979 are correct and provide good information so I don't mean to be adversarial. Just pointing out my personal opinions and ideas that work for me that MAY help someone else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Don't eat spoiled or rotten food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It's ok lol I had a McRib meal last night and didn't gain 5lbs but now I want vanilla ice cream.
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    My take away from this thread: Lots of bro/sis gender confusion, and the silica packets I ate won't poison me.

:)
    also...
    Chocolate ice cream can only be eaten 2x weekly, a small french fry once in a while only because they don't don't contain sugar or chemicals..

damn, I did it again! :'(

I'm screwed guys - I had vanilla ice cream last night. TWICE! :(

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    It's ok lol I had a McRib meal last night and didn't gain 5lbs but now I want vanilla ice cream.
    My take away from this thread: Lots of bro/sis gender confusion, and the silica packets I ate won't poison me.

also...
    Chocolate ice cream can only be eaten 2x weekly, a small french fry once in a while only because they don't don't contain sugar or chemicals..

But could you have lost even more weight if you wouldn't have (assuming your trying to lose weight)?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

also...

But could you have lost even more weight if you wouldn't have (assuming your trying to lose weight)?

Losing as much weight as fast as possible is rarely a healthy goal for body or mind.

If that logic held true then everyone would be engaging in VLCD and not enjoying any treats in moderation. That's not physically or mentally healthy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My final time was a binge on celery. I wanted a candy bar and instead made a "healthy" choice to eat a piece of celery instead and kept eating celery til I vomited, that was it no more limiting food. Now it's everything in moderation.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    To be honest no. When I limit myself I end up binge eating and being miserable. I gained 20lbs when I was trying to lose 10lbs because I would limit then binge, it was an unpleasant cycle.

blambo61 wrote: »

also...

I'm glad you recognize that now. Being overly restrictive has only ever led me to failure, and then feeling worse about myself.

Oh gosh, it took me forever to learn to moderate ice cream (still have difficult days). But something about giving myself permission to let go of all the restrictions and BS that I had convinced myself was necessary to be healthy, I started feeling an emotional weight lift. It actually made it easier to stick with the calorie restriction because I knew that if I wanted a cookie or a beer, I could have it. If it took me over calories for that one day, that's fine because I was on track the rest of the week.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It's a funny thing - when I moderate my food intake properly, my worst fears regarding weight gain never happen, and I still get to enjoy what I want. :)
    This discussion is funny. In spite of everything I've learned and read about foods since deciding to get healthy, the only thing that has really changed is the quantity I eat any given day, not whether the food is processed or not, by any definition.

And why the heck am I suddenly craving Twinkies at 9 in the bloody morning!?

Maybe it's all this banana talk? The original Twinkies introduced in the 1930s were filled with banana cream. They had to be switched to vanilla cream when bananas became rationed during World War II.
    I never knew that! Now that I do, here's where it's going - my daughter made the most incredible banana/cream cheese filling for cream puffs over Christmas. I'm going to suck the filling out of a twinkie with a straw and replace it with her filling.

Oh yeah o:)B):p
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    It's a funny thing - when I moderate my food intake properly, my worst fears regarding weight gain never happen, and I still get to enjoy what I want. :)
    This discussion is funny. In spite of everything I've learned and read about foods since deciding to get healthy, the only thing that has really changed is the quantity I eat any given day, not whether the food is processed or not, by any definition.

Maybe it's all this banana talk? The original Twinkies introduced in the 1930s were filled with banana cream. They had to be switched to vanilla cream when bananas became rationed during World War II.
    I never knew that! Now that I do, here's where it's going - my daughter made the most incredible banana/cream cheese filling for cream puffs over Christmas. I'm going to suck the filling out of a twinkie with a straw and replace it with her filling.

Sounds awesome. :smiley:
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Sounds awesome. :smiley:

It is, and dangerous as well. My wife, and my youngest - these two women can take chalk and water and make a AAA dessert out of it lol. <3