Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

Besides above, I won't eliminate anything else.

I lost that same amount of weight and never gave any of those things up. Well other than sugary soda, I wasn't drinking those to begin with.

I'm always perplexed why pizza gets such a bad rap. Depending on the toppings, it can be a macro balanced meal, especially if one eats salad with a couple of slices. Really not hard to work that in on a regular basis if it's something you enjoy.

Surely you gave up on something, else you would not give up calories and gave up weight, right?

Going for pizza, I will not restrict the pleasure of a Domino's Pizza by restricting its content, IMHO I prefer just to pass until I go for maintenance regime (still 10 kilos away).

Personally, I think it's odd that people see Dominos as good pizza. I think the kind of pizza winogelato is (possibly) talking about is much tastier. I never ate Dominos before losing and don't now -- I do love a thin crust pizza with a variety of vegetables and sometimes some proscuitto or an egg, etc., from an Italian place, and I also occasionally enjoy a local delivery place or an occasional Chicago style (not big on sausage or pepperoni, always like spinach and mushrooms and olives, etc.).

Not saying my taste is better than yours or that Dominos can't be enjoyed within the context of a nutritious diet (of course it can), but assuming what "pizza" involves or that eating some other kind of pizza is a sacrifice (or restricting pleasure) is wrong.

Similarly, I usually prefer eating some salad and less pizza (and having more pizza for later). I get having some meals that you just want to eat in an unrestricted way and so eating less often, though -- I'm like this about Indian food. (I still wouldn't tell OP or anyone else not to eat Indian when dieting, though, as that would be ridiculous -- no reason to assume my reasons would apply to others, and besides if you exercise or plan it's possible to fit in occasional indulgent days even when losing. Probably makes maintenance easier by learning to do that and not thinking how you eat on maintenance is totally different.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

I lost that same amount of weight and never gave any of those things up. Well other than sugary soda, I wasn't drinking those to begin with.

I'm always perplexed why pizza gets such a bad rap. Depending on the toppings, it can be a macro balanced meal, especially if one eats salad with a couple of slices. Really not hard to work that in on a regular basis if it's something you enjoy.

Surely you gave up on something, else you would not give up calories and gave up weight, right?

Going for pizza, I will not restrict the pleasure of a Domino's Pizza by restricting its content, IMHO I prefer just to pass until I go for maintenance regime (still 10 kilos away).

No, I took the approach of not giving up any specific foods that I loved when I started here almost four years ago. I cut down on the frequency of consumption of some foods, I cut back on portion sizes, there are some foods that I look at and think "that's not worth the calories, I'm going to skip that", and there are some foods I think "I'd love to have that but I don't have room for it today, I'm going to work it in later this week". But I still eat things like bakery treats, pizza, fast food, ice cream, and wine/beer... so no I would say I didn't give up anything.

I do still eat Dominos pizza though it isn't my favorite, my kids like it and it's easy. Even if I eat sausage pizza with the kids, I can fit in two slices and some Parmesan bites with a salad I make myself and be under 800 cals. I actually prefer a Naples style margherita pizza or one that I make at home with pesto instead of tomato sauce, grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, red peppers and feta cheese. It's actually pretty calorific but quite tasty.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    Don't eat cake, ice cream, maple syrup, candy, donuts, potato chips, cookies, juices, bagels and stay away from sodas. :wink:

This. Sugar makes you hungrier cause you get an insulin spike and then your blood sugar drops and you get hungry again. If you count your cals and have a deficit that will work but that will be much harder if you eat sugar IMO.

Perhaps if you were building a diet exclusively from these things that would be a concern, but when I eat these foods it is usually in combination with other things so this purported insulin spike either doesn't happen or I seem to be not significantly impacted by this imminent hunger.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Don't eat cake, ice cream, maple syrup, candy, donuts, potato chips, cookies, juices, bagels and stay away from sodas. :wink:

This. Sugar makes you hungrier cause you get an insulin spike and then your blood sugar drops and you get hungry again. If you count your cals and have a deficit that will work but that will be much harder if you eat sugar IMO.

Perhaps if you were building a diet exclusively from these things that would be a concern, but when I eat these foods it is usually in combination with other things so this purported insulin spike either doesn't happen or I seem to be not significantly impacted by this imminent hunger.

I do IF and I've eaten sugar at the end of my meal time and have lost weight doing that. Recently I've been struggling with gout and gave up sugar to see if that would help and it has helped a lot I believe (better in a couple of days after a month long attack) and I lost 2-lbs over the Christmas Holiday even though I ate a lot but didn't have any straight sugary stuff whatsoever (I tried this starting just before Christmas). That loss tells me that my eating sugar might have been slowing my weight loss down. I don't think it was just getting rid of extra cals because I ate a lot of cheese instead and put down a lot of cals. I'm going to keep experimenting and see what happens.

The sugar causing hunger isn't a thing if I eat it at the end of the day after my meals. If I eat something sugary for breakfast or cheat on my fasting, it definitely will cause a lot of hunger that way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

are you avoiding protein too becuase insulin spikes?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    - Pizza

yea, I ate all those things, lost 50 pounds, and got to sub 15% body fat....I must be a freak of nature...

Not at all! It's just that your way isn't THE ONLY WAY! Your way worked for you and it would work for many others. But it might not work for someone else. So you don't need to blast anyone else's opinions in order to validate your own.

i ate in a calorie deficit, that works for everyone.

• ndj1979
    Options
    - Pizza

she gave up eating over maintenance....not sure why that is so hard to understand.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I do IF and I've eaten sugar at the end of my meal time and have lost weight doing that. Recently I've been struggling with gout and gave up sugar to see if that would help and it has helped a lot I believe (better in a couple of days after a month long attack) and I lost 2-lbs over the Christmas Holiday even though I ate a lot but didn't have any straight sugary stuff whatsoever (I tried this starting just before Christmas). That loss tells me that my eating sugar might have been slowing my weight loss down. I don't think it was just getting rid of extra cals because I ate a lot of cheese instead and put down a lot of cals. I'm going to keep experimenting and see what happens.

The sugar causing hunger isn't a thing if I eat it at the end of the day after my meals. If I eat something sugary for breakfast or cheat on my fasting, it definitely will cause a lot of hunger that way.

It doesn't matter what I eat, but if I eat breakfast early (near when I get up at 5:00), I'm ALWAYS more hungry throughout the day than if I hold off breakfast until 9:30 or so. I think it's more the fast than the sugar.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I said personally... what works for me might work for others. And I don't look up the ingredients for natural foods i.e. fruits.

I'm with you. What you've seen is why I wouldn't get into trying to define "processed" or "overly processed" foods earlier - everyone knows what you mean but some come with off the wall nonsense to try and discredit what you say. It's up to each of us to read through all the condescension and sarcasm to find what works for each of us. In the end we all make our own decisions anyway.
  • wanzik
    Options

Yup. MO too. :wink:
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I don't know anything about gout and how sugar may contribute to those symptoms. I would say though that your medical condition and the impact of sugar on that is different than saying that sugar is bad for everyone and that everyone should cut out the things listed above. The logic you use about feeling hungry is largely an individual thing, as I and I'm sure many others do not have that same experience, yet the way it was written saying "sugar makes you hungrier" seems to imply that is a universal truth.

I'm also curious about your weight loss over the holidays and your belief that not consuming sugar had something to do with that. Were you tracking calories during that time? And you are saying this is the same amount of calories in total just with less sugar, resulting in a 1-2 lb loss? I'm seeing a lot of scale fluctuation this week which is normal for weeks of indulgence followed by trying to get back on track, is it possible that what you're seeing is loss of water weight or some other normal fluctuation and not directly attributed to change in sugar consumption?
  • jbcisney
    jbcisney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Avoid the fast food stuff or use it as a treat once in a while. Other than that, eat what you like while staying within goals. Keep an eye on your nutrition though.
  • wanzik
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    - Pizza

yea, I ate all those things, lost 50 pounds, and got to sub 15% body fat....I must be a freak of nature...

Not at all! It's just that your way isn't THE ONLY WAY! Your way worked for you and it would work for many others. But it might not work for someone else. So you don't need to blast anyone else's opinions in order to validate your own.

That's the point.

When you (not specifically you, but all saying "don't eat this" in answer to the question) purport to tell others what NOT to eat (the topic of the thread) aren't you inherently telling them what to do and NOT simply talking about what worked for you (which is individual). The thread topic asked for that, so IMO the correct answer is that no one else can tell her what not to eat.

There are tons of things I never eat (Domino's pizza, as noted above), because for me they aren't tasty or aren't ever worth the calories. I'd never tell OP not to eat them, because why should I assume my reasons would apply for her? Also, I don't tell myself I don't eat them, I just never want to -- if all of a sudden they seemed worth the calories for some reason, I would.

I respect your opinion. MO was a little different in that I decided to throw out a few suggestions. IMO neither one of us is wrong.
  • wanzik
    Options
    - Pizza

i ate in a calorie deficit, that works for everyone.

There's more to dieting/building muscle/losing fat/getting lean than simple math. That's what you don't seem to get.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what I eat, but if I eat breakfast early (near when I get up at 5:00), I'm ALWAYS more hungry throughout the day than if I hold off breakfast until 9:30 or so. I think it's more the fast than the sugar.

People are really individual on this. Some find breakfast makes them hungrier, some find it makes them less hungry. For me I've experimented and it seems to make no difference.

When I first started I found that eating lots of protein (30 g+) at breakfast made me less hungry than otherwise, but after I lost weight and was into my new habits I found it made no difference, so even there it might have been mental. (I do find that eating a muffin or something is lots of cals and no more value than eating nothing, so I avoid that. But I would anyway, since for me the point of breakfast -- in addition to it tasting good -- is an opportunity to get in some nutrition.)
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Beets. Don't eat beets.

Don't forget bears and Battlestar Gallactica.

No. Eat bears. Eat them raw.