what NOT to eat

Options

Replies

• CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

Besides above, I won't eliminate anything else.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

Besides above, I won't eliminate anything else.

I lost that same amount of weight and never gave any of those things up. Well other than sugary soda, I wasn't drinking those to begin with.

I'm always perplexed why pizza gets such a bad rap. Depending on the toppings, it can be a macro balanced meal, especially if one eats salad with a couple of slices. Really not hard to work that in on a regular basis if it's something you enjoy.

Again, as we already covered, everyone is different.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your diet should consist of unprocessed foods.
    Why? So many "healthy" foods are processed, including the jasmine rice you mentioned.
    Bread, baked goods, pasta, cereal, regular soda, liquor, and desserts must be cut out entirely until get a grasp on how to incorporate cheat meals and days into your plan without reverting back to old habits.
    Why?

I incorporate these every day and and have lost a significant amount of weight. If you stick around for a while, you'll notice the majority of mfp-ers eat a balanced diet with their favorite foods in moderation. A healthy attitude towards food in general is a healthy approach to weight loss. Cutting out foods can actually cause some to develop orthorexia.

I hate cheat meals and cheat days. I can easily undo my weekly deficit with those. I'd rather incorporate my favorites daily and NOT go over my calorie goal. I only have 4-5 IDGAF days a year where I won't count calories.

Weight loss is ALL about calories, more specifically, having the right energy (CICO) balance, and nothing about the type of food you eat. Moderating all foods that one enjoys is a perfectly valid way to lose weight.

The recommendation of cutting out foods and food groups to someone who is already stressed about weight loss in general is a sure way to stress someone out further. Weight loss is stressful enough already without having to throw rules and guidelines at it.

because everyone knows that processed foods contain magical properties that make you gain weight, even if you are in calorie deficit.

Not everyone apparently but some people know that overly processed foods have most of whatever nutritional value they once had destroyed during the processing and that it will be for difficult to feel full for long after eating, increasing your chances of craving even more. For some people these foods trigger some people's brains to eat even more, much like an alcoholic can't stop at one or two drinks.

If you can handle eating highly processed foods, fine. Great! Good for you! Realize not everyone is the same and some people actually do need to avoid these things if they want to reach their goals. And it's not a big deal to do it.

how are you defining processed and highly processed?

If I have canned vegetables is that bad because processed or good because vegetables?

I said "highly processed" in order to avoid this inevitable question. I wouldn't consider canned vegetables "highly processed" but I would also say fresh is better. Call it my opinion.

ok, how are you defining "highly processed"...

how exactly is a fresh green bean better than a canned green bean?

LOL! Do your own research. I'm not arguing today. :smile:

you are the one making the argument, not me. I will put that down as "don't know"...
  • wanzik
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Your diet should consist of unprocessed foods.
    Why? So many "healthy" foods are processed, including the jasmine rice you mentioned.
    Bread, baked goods, pasta, cereal, regular soda, liquor, and desserts must be cut out entirely until get a grasp on how to incorporate cheat meals and days into your plan without reverting back to old habits.
    Why?

I incorporate these every day and and have lost a significant amount of weight. If you stick around for a while, you'll notice the majority of mfp-ers eat a balanced diet with their favorite foods in moderation. A healthy attitude towards food in general is a healthy approach to weight loss. Cutting out foods can actually cause some to develop orthorexia.

I hate cheat meals and cheat days. I can easily undo my weekly deficit with those. I'd rather incorporate my favorites daily and NOT go over my calorie goal. I only have 4-5 IDGAF days a year where I won't count calories.

Weight loss is ALL about calories, more specifically, having the right energy (CICO) balance, and nothing about the type of food you eat. Moderating all foods that one enjoys is a perfectly valid way to lose weight.

The recommendation of cutting out foods and food groups to someone who is already stressed about weight loss in general is a sure way to stress someone out further. Weight loss is stressful enough already without having to throw rules and guidelines at it.

because everyone knows that processed foods contain magical properties that make you gain weight, even if you are in calorie deficit.

Not everyone apparently but some people know that overly processed foods have most of whatever nutritional value they once had destroyed during the processing and that it will be for difficult to feel full for long after eating, increasing your chances of craving even more. For some people these foods trigger some people's brains to eat even more, much like an alcoholic can't stop at one or two drinks.

If you can handle eating highly processed foods, fine. Great! Good for you! Realize not everyone is the same and some people actually do need to avoid these things if they want to reach their goals. And it's not a big deal to do it.

how are you defining processed and highly processed?

If I have canned vegetables is that bad because processed or good because vegetables?

I said "highly processed" in order to avoid this inevitable question. I wouldn't consider canned vegetables "highly processed" but I would also say fresh is better. Call it my opinion.

ok, how are you defining "highly processed"...

how exactly is a fresh green bean better than a canned green bean?

LOL! Do your own research. I'm not arguing today. :smile:

you are the one making the argument, not me. I will put that down as "don't know"...

Ok.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I can and do eat a huge variety of foods, but I'm also of the mind that I need to change that. While I like the "can eat anything" mindset and the healthy relationship with food that it implies, I also need to temper that with "Should I eat anything?" at times.

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Annisette toast? The whole package goes, along with a quart of milk.
    Pancakes? Heh...

With due respect some of you long time mfpers aren't taking into account the fact that some of your audience will not have the same healthy relationship with food that you do. And it might be easy to become a bit blase' about it because you may not see that person you're chatting with go into a tailspin over a bowl of ice cream.

I take full 100% responsibility for what I do, and what I put into my own body, but with that said, I also know certain items will be very difficult for me to eat in moderation, extremely difficult at times.

I <3 you folks, seriously - just reading much of what's posted here has helped me change almost everything regarding my eating and physical fitness, but I do think simple things like that are tossed out a little too nonchalantly sometimes...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eat EVERYTHING you love, as long as there is calorie deficit you will lose. Simple.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I can and do eat a huge variety of foods, but I'm also of the mind that I need to change that. While I like the "can eat anything" mindset and the healthy relationship with food that it implies, I also need to temper that with "Should I eat anything?" at times.

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

With due respect some of you long time mfpers aren't taking into account the fact that some of your audience will not have the same healthy relationship with food that you do. And it might be easy to become a bit blase' about it because you may not see that person you're chatting with go into a tailspin over a bowl of ice cream.

I take full 100% responsibility for what I do, and what I put into my own body, but with that said, I also know certain items will be very difficult for me to eat in moderation, extremely difficult at times.

I <3 you folks, seriously - just reading much of what's posted here has helped me change almost everything regarding my eating and physical fitness, but I do think simple things like that are tossed out a little too nonchalantly sometimes...

I didn't have a particularly healthy relationship with food when I adopted the approach of moderation. The idea that I could eat pizza or cake sometimes and that it wasn't a "bad" food or an indicator that I lacked self-control or that I would never be thin was part of what helped me develop the relationship I have with food today, where I can say "no" to cake or have a slice or two of pizza.

I've hidden food, eaten in secret, lied about it, tried multiple crash diets, passed out from lack of calories. Not saying everyone in this conversation has my history, but the idea that everyone who says "Hey, you don't have to quit eating pizza to lose weight" has a 100% rosy history with food and has always been at their ideal weight just isn't accurate.

I'm not sure how that came across from my post, but painting that picture wasn't my intention at all. I'm still (1 year in) developing that relationship as well. What I wanted to highlight was that some folks may take that statement as an endorsement to not be quite as guarded as they would otherwise in their food choices and portions. I hope that clears what I meant up some.
  • wanzik
    Options

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

Great post! :star:
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bell peppers. That's about it.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I didn't have a particularly healthy relationship with food when I adopted the approach of moderation. The idea that I could eat pizza or cake sometimes and that it wasn't a "bad" food or an indicator that I lacked self-control or that I would never be thin was part of what helped me develop the relationship I have with food today, where I can say "no" to cake or have a slice or two of pizza.

I've hidden food, eaten in secret, lied about it, tried multiple crash diets, passed out from lack of calories. Not saying everyone in this conversation has my history, but the idea that everyone who says "Hey, you don't have to quit eating pizza to lose weight" has a 100% rosy history with food and has always been at their ideal weight just isn't accurate.

I respect what your saying, but you can't lump us all into one group. I'm a long time MFP'r and a successful weight loss person, but..... I still struggle with having a healthy relationship with food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »

Pizza? I'll eat it - ALL
    Pancakes? Heh...

I respect what your saying, but you can't lump us all into one group. I'm a long time MFP'r and a successful weight loss person, but..... I still struggle with having a healthy relationship with food.

I'm specifically trying *not* to lump everyone into one group and I'm sorry that what I wrote came across as if I was.