Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Cool that you started this:

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate
    poutine - "who the *kitten* puts cheese curds on fries???"
    double-double (coffee with double sugar, double cream)
    Timmy's - Dunkin' Doughnuts

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more with this list...

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol. Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

Personally I'm a Large black coffee kinda guy, but, every morning my wife gets a Double Double when we go to Tim Hortons. There is 1 Dunkin' near me (not close enough to walk to) and 5 Timmys within a bike ride to my house.

We also have a poutine restaurant downtown that is extremely popular.

Am I living in some kind of weird Canadian version of the US and nobody told me? :o

Yes. If you call soft drinks "pop", have Tim Horton's near you and eat poutine, you might as well be in Canada. :)

I was born and raised in Southern California - soft drinks are "soda", there's not a Tim Horton's anywhere to be found and I'd never even heard of poutine (or cheese curds, for that matter) until I visited Michigan for the first time. And a "Double Double" isn't a coffee drink, it's a burger from In-n-Out Burger.

Well now, we need to know his stance on beer and maple syrup before declaring him Canadian. Oh, and if he rides his Polar bear to work.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol. Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

Personally I'm a Large black coffee kinda guy, but, every morning my wife gets a Double Double when we go to Tim Hortons. There is 1 Dunkin' near me (not close enough to walk to) and 5 Timmys within a bike ride to my house.

Am I living in some kind of weird Canadian version of the US and nobody told me? :o

Yes. If you call soft drinks "pop", have Tim Horton's near you and eat poutine, you might as well be in Canada. :)

I was born and raised in Southern California - soft drinks are "soda", there's not a Tim Horton's anywhere to be found and I'd never even heard of poutine (or cheese curds, for that matter) until I visited Michigan for the first time. And a "Double Double" isn't a coffee drink, it's a burger from In-n-Out Burger.

Well now, we need to know his stance on beer and maple syrup before declaring him Canadian. Oh, and if he rides his Polar bear to work.

I haven't seen him apologize for anything yet either. So there's that to consider.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    A researcher, while at North Carolina State University, conducted a survey of 122 questions on how Americans pronounced or used different words. The researcher's website is no longer accessible on the web, but the following links have the a) list of questions with a link to maps and detailed statistics and b) a link to the Ny Times which published the survey questions from 2013.

a) https://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

b) http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0 {this link may require a subscription, I've got one so it works for me}

I love this quiz. When I did the long form one it told me most like Des Moines, I think. I just took the shorter version and got this (the darkest red is the closest and blue least similar -- I guess I'm not from the southeast!).

Short form is here: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

e4f1ww0kmd8f.png
    map.png 261.8K
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I haven't seen him apologize for anything yet either. So there's that to consider.

Well, there might be home for him yet then. Sorry! :laugh:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I truly admire those of you who can lose weight and live in America. I've seen your portions sizes, cheap food prices, amazing fast food restaurants and the fact that you add peanut butter to just about everything. I can say with all certainty that i'd blow up to whale size in short order if i moved over there. I'd be like a kid in a candy store!

The amount of cheap, healthy food is astronomical. I think it's easier to eat healthier/lower cal there than here - there's more easy to grab options, it'd just be about having control to know you don't need to eat everything in a day

Definitely cheaper there. I've seen threads where people compare their grocery $$$, and so many people can feed a family of 4 or 5 per week for what i spend on just my husband and myself. I've been especially frugal over the last few months and still the majority of our money goes on food! It's just too damn expensive here :( And lets not get started on the cost petrol... :rage:

I got petrol for 115c yesterday (after my 4c off)... Most places have been 130-140 usually over the past few weeks, with the odd few having cheap days..

Blimey, good deal! I just filled up, and it was 1.42 a litre.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    I truly admire those of you who can lose weight and live in America. I've seen your portions sizes, cheap food prices, amazing fast food restaurants and the fact that you add peanut butter to just about everything. I can say with all certainty that i'd blow up to whale size in short order if i moved over there. I'd be like a kid in a candy store!

The amount of cheap, healthy food is astronomical. I think it's easier to eat healthier/lower cal there than here - there's more easy to grab options, it'd just be about having control to know you don't need to eat everything in a day

Definitely cheaper there. I've seen threads where people compare their grocery $$$, and so many people can feed a family of 4 or 5 per week for what i spend on just my husband and myself. I've been especially frugal over the last few months and still the majority of our money goes on food! It's just too damn expensive here :( And lets not get started on the cost petrol... :rage:

I got petrol for 115c yesterday (after my 4c off)... Most places have been 130-140 usually over the past few weeks, with the odd few having cheap days..

I know you got gas, but I have no idea how much you paid or if it was a lot or not. The last time I filled up gas was $2.09/gallon. I got about $30 worth.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    5n00py wrote: »

.....Then there's: kgs/lbs. centimetres/inches/feet. Kms/miles. Grams/ounces. Litres/gallons.

That's it for now, my brain needs a rest lol

Apart from metric used around most of the world, the US redefined the measures of what used to be called Imperial.

e.g. 1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609 litres whereas 1 US Gallon only = 3.78541 litres,

An (Imperial) ton does not equal a (US) ton, and neither of them equal a metric tonne. Ton and tonne are pronounced the same, so when someone says "ton(ne)", there's 3 possibilities of how much weight is meant.

Then there's fluid ounces, tablespoons, cups, pints, teaspoons also all different..... If you don't know if the recipe you've been given is using US measures or Imperial measures, you may very well waste a lot of ingredients on something that is not at all what the recipe describes!

A Billion used to be 1 million x 1 million, but is now redefined as 1 thousand x 1 million, similarly Trillion is what used to be Billion.

A kilobyte is actually 1,024 bytes, but it is now "popularly" deemed to be only 1,000 bytes (Even Google's convert tool has it wrong!)..... Similarly, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte are also all shrunk. It seems peculiar that data measures in computing (most of which is designed in the US) have been morphed in a pseudo metric system, but all the old feet, inches, gallon measures are still firmly in place in the same country.

Only US do dates 'mm/dd/yyyy'....... 9/11 is actually the 11th of September and not the 9th of November as the rest of the world would expect.

And then there's the spelling! Apart from the US redefining "English", textspeak and common usage are morphing and redefining the language into who knows what in another few generations.

Great post. One note

Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes... the definition is platform and vendor specific. On IBM mainframe, I Series the standard is 1024x1024, Unix and other platforms use 1000x1000. Even within the family you can find different definitions. A real pain.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options

My husband and I did a 6-week trip through the US in 2012.

I gained about 10 lbs!

• Machka9
    Options
    Yeah the dates always confuse me. Is 1/3/2017 the 1st of March, or the 3rd of January. Here it would be the 1st of march.
    There have been many times that I've filled out my birth date on some computer program, and it wont accept it and keeps spitting back wrong birth date number!!!! My birthday is 27/3, not 3/27 oi oi oi what a pain lol

Dates are something I still struggle with here.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Here in Calgary, Canada (our oil and gas hub - like a Texas) gas was $1.08 / L today at most pumps.... I am guessing it is cheaper than many parts of Canada.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Here in Calgary, Canada (our oil and gas hub - like a Texas) gas was $1.08 / L today at most pumps.... I am guessing it is cheaper than many parts of Canada.

Not bad, I thought your petrol would have been cheaper. And thank you for talking in Litres.. I think 1 gallon is around 3.5L
  • Machka9
    Options

Not bad, I thought your petrol would have been cheaper. And thank you for talking in Litres.. I think 1 gallon is around 3.5L

Fuel is in litres in Canada. :)

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

111.8 right now down from 117.3 last week here in cape Breton, ns
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I know you got gas, but I have no idea how much you paid or if it was a lot or not. The last time I filled up gas was $2.09/gallon. I got about $30 worth.

petrol (gas) is bought in litres (3.5L = 1 gallon). At the price I paid, it's about 90c US a litre, so 1 gallon is about $3.15 - that's cheap for petrol at the moment!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How did we get on the price of gas? I want to know how much the price in other countries is made up of taxes.

https://goo.gl/images/i1jw6r
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

petrol (gas) is bought in litres (3.5L = 1 gallon). At the price I paid, it's about 90c US a litre, so 1 gallon is about $3.15 - that's cheap for petrol at the moment!!

It's about $2.75/gallon near me, but that's usually higher than much of the US (location matters).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Price varies in Australia too.
    dearer in rural areas.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

Well, I guess you can call me Canadian then, because my beer of choice is Labatt Blue Light...
    Labatt even has their US headquarters here.

And once a year we go to a farm that makes fresh maple syrup for all you can eat pancakes.

But no polar bears on the roads here lol. :p
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

Nope, I am in NC (from FL) and I do not use the term pop ever. I say soda, or use the word coke in a general way.

I have never heard of using the word "Coke" for all soft drinks. That seems so weird to me. It would be like calling all fast food restaurants "McDonalds".
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Haha love this thread! So bum is called fanny in America ?? Haha sorry I'm confused !! In U.K. Spite is a brand of lemonade with lime