Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    To get us back on track... :)

"Broiling" is something I was thinking about last night. It wasn't a word I was familiar with before emigrating, and due to the similarity with the word "boiling" I figured it meant the same thing. Good job I looked it up before I tried doing that with a recipe! Turns out that broiling is what I'd call grilling.

To me (a Brit), "grilling" is what you do under the grill of your oven, i.e. the top heating element, which is a broiler on this side of the Pond. Grilling to North Americans seems to refer almost exclusively to cooking on an outdoor grill (something they do even when it's below freezing in Canada!), which is what I'd refer to as "barbecuing".

To add to the confusion, a "grilled cheese sandwich" is not cooked under the grill/broiler (like a toasted cheese sandwich, which I used to make often in the UK), but is instead spread with butter on the outsides and cooked in a frying pan.

Which, by the way, is called a "skillet".

Argh!

Barbecue is a particular type of food. Slow cooked meat (either grilled (as in on a grill) or smoked) coated with (or dipped in) barbecue sauce. To barbecue is to prepare such food. Barbecuing can be a type of grilling but isn't always. Likewise, not all grilling is barbecuing (I.e. Burgers are not barbecue and thus they are grilled, not barbecued).

A barbecue can also be a gathering/party centered around preparing and eating barbecue. The same type of gathering which involves grilling non-barbecue food (burgers and hotdogs) is called grilling out.

I take BBQ very seriously.

And I use frying pan and skillet interchangeably.

See, it's all just WAY too complicated! "Grilling out" is also a whole new term for me...

And now I want a burger. Thanks a bunch, Carlos! ;)

Come on over!! We'll grill out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

"Broiling" is something I was thinking about last night. It wasn't a word I was familiar with before emigrating, and due to the similarity with the word "boiling" I figured it meant the same thing. Good job I looked it up before I tried doing that with a recipe! Turns out that broiling is what I'd call grilling.

To me (a Brit), "grilling" is what you do under the grill of your oven, i.e. the top heating element, which is a broiler on this side of the Pond. Grilling to North Americans seems to refer almost exclusively to cooking on an outdoor grill (something they do even when it's below freezing in Canada!), which is what I'd refer to as "barbecuing".

To add to the confusion, a "grilled cheese sandwich" is not cooked under the grill/broiler (like a toasted cheese sandwich, which I used to make often in the UK), but is instead spread with butter on the outsides and cooked in a frying pan.

Argh!

Barbecue is a particular type of food. Slow cooked meat (either grilled (as in on a grill) or smoked) coated with (or dipped in) barbecue sauce. To barbecue is to prepare such food. Barbecuing can be a type of grilling but isn't always. Likewise, not all grilling is barbecuing (I.e. Burgers are not barbecue and thus they are grilled, not barbecued).

A barbecue can also be a gathering/party centered around preparing and eating barbecue. The same type of gathering which involves grilling non-barbecue food (burgers and hotdogs) is called grilling out.

See, it's all just WAY too complicated! "Grilling out" is also a whole new term for me...

Just don't BBQ your burgers and hot dogs. :D

Which brings up a related question: Do Aussies really call it "the barbie", and if so, what exactly are they referring to? Is it what we'd call grilling, or are they slow cooking/smoking the meat?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Argh!

Which brings up a related question: Do Aussies really call it "the barbie", and if so, what exactly are they referring to? Is it what we'd call grilling, or are they slow cooking/smoking the meat?

Yep we shorten the word barbeque to Barbie. A barbecue or barbie just refers to cooking outside on an actual barbeque.

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Yep we shorten the word barbeque to Barbie. A barbecue or barbie just refers to cooking outside on an actual barbeque.

So when you "throw some shrimp on the barbie" you're actually grilling them and not barbecuing them, according to Carlos' definition?

I think I need to go and lie down. I'm too old for this... ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is what we call a Barbie, this is the one and only term for barbecue here.

sj94jne0jkng.jpg

jt65bog75x8h.jpg

The tray (below) between the hotplate and the oven is a grill. We use this to melt cheese on toasted cheese sandwiches.

3xo5edfew2ni.jpg
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

So when you "throw some shrimp on the barbie" you're actually grilling them and not barbecuing them, according to Carlos' definition?

@SueSueDio
    No Aussie would throw a "shrimp" on the barbie, we would chuck on some prawns :) They just used the word shrimp in that old Paul Hogan advert so the people in US would know what he was talking about.

The barbie is the thing you cook on (the actual cooking implement and I believe it's a matter of some pride in certain circles to have a 6 burner or ... oh I don't know, I think it's a blokey bigger-is-better thing). My husband claims that charcoal is the only way to barbeque, but then he's from South America so has a different perspective again.

Plus a barbie is also the social occasion when you invite people around for a meal - which will happen all over the country on Thursday next week (26 Jan) which is Australia day. I have a family member coming back from OS so we will have the rellies [relatives] round [to visit] for a barbie [grillout/cook out/meal].
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

@SueSueDio
    No Aussie would throw a "shrimp" on the barbie, we would chuck on some prawns :) They just used the word shrimp in that old Paul Hogan advert so the people in US would know what he was talking about.

That "shrimp on the barbie" thing is one of those irritating pet peeves for my husband. He's Australian, and every time he hears it, he mutters "Prawns. Prawns ... not shrimp." and rolls his eyes. :lol:

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

sj94jne0jkng.jpg

jt65bog75x8h.jpg

The tray (below) between the hotplate and the oven is a grill. We use this to melt cheese on toasted cheese sandwiches.

3xo5edfew2ni.jpg

Except.... I wouldn't use the grill to make a toasted cheese sandwich. I'd use it to make cheese on toast. I'd use a sandwich press to make a toasted cheese sandwich (or in a pan with a weight on top)
  • pebble4321
    Options

sj94jne0jkng.jpg

jt65bog75x8h.jpg

3xo5edfew2ni.jpg

Except.... I wouldn't use the grill to make a toasted cheese sandwich. I'd use it to make cheese on toast. I'd use a sandwich press to make a toasted cheese sandwich (or in a pan with a weight on top)

Same. Cheese on toast under the griller would be called... cheese on toast. A toasted sandwich would be squished/taosted in a press or the classic Breville toasted sandwich maker. Or, when I was a kid, it would have been put in the 1-bread-slice-sized round iron press with a long handle and cooked over the open fire, and called a jaffle.
  • pebble4321
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pebble4321 wrote: »

@SueSueDio

That "shrimp on the barbie" thing is one of those irritating pet peeves for my husband. He's Australian, and every time he hears it, he mutters "Prawns. Prawns ... not shrimp." and rolls his eyes. :lol:

Of course, he's right!
  • Carlos_421
    Options

sj94jne0jkng.jpg

jt65bog75x8h.jpg
    That is an image of food being grilled on a grill. The second image is the grill itself.

THIS is BBQ (barbecue):
    BBQ.jpg
    brown-sugar%C2%ADbourbon-sauce-ftr.jpg
    cr-bbq-pulled-pork-v1.jpg?crc=180400224
    p24_lesters_1.jpg
    catering-photo.jpg

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Cool that you started this:

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate
    poutine - "who the *kitten* puts cheese curds on fries???"
    double-double (coffee with double sugar, double cream)
    Timmy's - Dunkin' Doughnuts

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more with this list...

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol. Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

Personally I'm a Large black coffee kinda guy, but, every morning my wife gets a Double Double when we go to Tim Hortons. There is 1 Dunkin' near me (not close enough to walk to) and 5 Timmys within a bike ride to my house.

We also have a poutine restaurant downtown that is extremely popular.

Am I living in some kind of weird Canadian version of the US and nobody told me? :o
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol. Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

Personally I'm a Large black coffee kinda guy, but, every morning my wife gets a Double Double when we go to Tim Hortons. There is 1 Dunkin' near me (not close enough to walk to) and 5 Timmys within a bike ride to my house.

Am I living in some kind of weird Canadian version of the US and nobody told me? :o

You must be, because i've lived in 5 states from oregon to california, to texas, to montana, to louisiana and we have ALL called it soda.

And dunkin donuts is crap compared to krispy creme or shipley's.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

You must be, because i've lived in 5 states from oregon to california, to texas, to montana, to louisiana and we have ALL called it soda.

We had a Krispy Kreme here, but, Tim Hortons put them out of business lol.

Shipley's is something I have never heard of...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

We had a Krispy Kreme here, but, Tim Hortons put them out of business lol.

Shipley's is something I have never heard of...

in my area shipley's put them both out of business. :pensive:
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    fruoshea wrote: »
    Don't you call the flat work surface in a kitchen the benchtop, @Christine_72 ? Im the US, a bench is something one sits on at a park or a person has in his workshop/toolshed for woodworking or fixing things, lol.

Edit, the kitchen surface is a counter in the US, which I suppose makes zero sense for a name, too lol.

yup, we have a kitchen bench in aus :) we also call the thing you sit on in the park a bench...
    we also have a splash back, not a back splash....we have so much american tv (including reno/flip programs) so i keep mixing them up!!

we have scones in aus (and UK) - i'm sure they're biscuits in the US

lollies - sweets/candy
    mince - ground meat

On that note though one of the things that threw me when I moved to the UK (Swede here) was that mince pies have nothing to do with meat and that the 'mince meat' filling is actually a mix of currants/raisins etc.

Historically "mince meat" was a sweet concoction that DID contain meats. Sweetmeats (organ meats) if memory serves me.

And sweetmeats (more specifically sweetbread) for organs also makes no sense to me :) Why would you call it that? It sounds like a baked good, not some animal's intestines! ;)
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I believe you must live in the great lake area. Nobody calls soda "pop" around here.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I believe you must live in the great lake area. Nobody calls soda "pop" around here.

I do live in the great lakes area!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol.

It's well known that different areas of the US call pop/soda/coke different things. (I'm more a pop person, but flip back and forth between that and soda because I've lived a variety of places. Coke for everything is just weird and wrong, but I know people do it!) ;-)
    Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

I think she's making fun of our portion sizes.

You may be. I've never seen poutine in the US (not saying you can't get it) and I only see Timmys in the US when driving to Canada through MI and getting close to the border. (IMO both Timmys and DD are not that great and have weirdly lauded coffee, though.)

I also live walking distance to a great lake, btw.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Oklahoma all say "pop." I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can say for sure based on experience.
    Areas in the deep south (like Alabama) tend to call everything coke. "Would you like a coke?" "Sure." "What kind? We have Mt Dew, Sunkist, Dr Pepper or Pepsi." "So you don't have Coke?"
    I know the St. Louis area says Soda and I think maybe the New England states.

I have never seen poutine but I have been to Tim Hortons. We used to have one in the area but I think it's closed.
    I like Dunkin Donuts but there is no donut that even comes close to a fresh Krispy Kreme.
    Eating a Krispy Kreme is like eating a baby angel.