Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Ironically, Oklahoma is notorious for tornados due to it being mostly flat while there are also hardly any basements in the state because the water table is too high...due to it being mostly flat.

As for the toilet being in the bathroom, it just makes sense. You need the sink there to wash your hands, it's already a private space and it's logical to centrally locate all the plumbing.
    There is a trend with newer/nicer homes these days of having a "closet" of sorts for the toilet within the bathroom (I assume so that John can use the john without fumigating Martha while she showers).

And yes, if you are standing up with water pouring into you, you are taking a shower and not a bath. Taking a bath involves sitting/laying in standing water. Most bathrooms here have bathtubs with shower heads installed. A separate shower is mostly only used when space is at a premium or when it's a really nice bathroom complete with a whirlpool/garden tub (and perhaps a toilet closet).

Yes!!

The thing I really do not like about our separate toilet is that when I finish my business, I've got to go into another room to wash my hands. It might not really matter that much, but I was brought up to wash my hands immediately upon finishing and not to go wandering about the house first.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've seen way too many American horror movies, and if there's anything demonic or creepy happening, it'll be down in the basement! :wink:

I've never seen a house here that has one, or an Attic, which seems to be popular in American houses.

We didn't have a basement when we lived in Victoria, but we do now that we live in Tasmania. :)

Victoria is built on a big rock. ;) Most houses on the prairies have basements... unless you go too far north into the permafrost.

The State of Victoria ... Australia. :)

Oops! I was thinking Victoria, BC, Canada
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Oh my. I was working internationally and we were having a similar conversation about different word meanings. The looks on the girls faces when I used the phrase "sitting on your fanny watching the boob tube." It was all kinds of fun!

LOL Thank you Wikipedia, for explaining that Americans call boob tubes 'tube tops'

Actually, we used the term boob tube to refer to televisions.

As an austalian I also know a boob tube as a stretchy top with no straps and it is only recently with the American TV shows that Sandshoes are now known as Sneakers or Runners

Then there is
    footpath - sidewalk
    Lift- elevator
    And most Australians know the toilet as the Loo, the Bog, little boys/girls room LOL
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Ironically, Oklahoma is notorious for tornados due to it being mostly flat while there are also hardly any basements in the state because the water table is too high...due to it being mostly flat.

As for the toilet being in the bathroom, it just makes sense. You need the sink there to wash your hands, it's already a private space and it's logical to centrally locate all the plumbing.
    There is a trend with newer/nicer homes these days of having a "closet" of sorts for the toilet within the bathroom (I assume so that John can use the john without fumigating Martha while she showers).

And yes, if you are standing up with water pouring into you, you are taking a shower and not a bath. Taking a bath involves sitting/laying in standing water. Most bathrooms here have bathtubs with shower heads installed. A separate shower is mostly only used when space is at a premium or when it's a really nice bathroom complete with a whirlpool/garden tub (and perhaps a toilet closet).

Ooh, I must have a nice home.... we have a toilet with a separate door that opens out of the ensuite (master) bathroom. But we also have a stand alone toilet (not a "half bath, just a tiny room with the toilet in there) in the hall and then we walk a few steps to the other bathroom to wash our hands.
    I've learnt lots about US words for bathrooms watching US house hunters shows - I didn't know what half bath (toilet and handbasin) three quarter bath (toilet, handbasin, shower but no bath), full bath (all the stuff including a bath) were but now I'm much more educated! Oh, and I know a soaking tub from a jetted tub. I think we would call them a bath vs a spa.

I've also learnt that apparently the things that everyone desires in a house in the US are open concept living room/kitchen, hardwood floors, granite countertops and double basins in the master bath. Unless you want a tiny home but even then people still want baths half the time.
  • stationlouisa
    stationlouisa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've seen way too many American horror movies, and if there's anything demonic or creepy happening, it'll be down in the basement! :wink:

I've never seen a house here that has one, or an Attic, which seems to be popular in American houses.

Plenty of Australian houses have lofts though, which I consider the same thing. Many not liveable, but I think loft conversions are becoming more popular...

Loft is an English term Australians mostly just call it the Roof space or cavity
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Plenty of Australian houses have lofts though, which I consider the same thing. Many not liveable, but I think loft conversions are becoming more popular...

Loft is an English term Australians mostly just call it the Roof space or cavity

Perhaps it's a regional thing - I'm in WA I know plenty of people who call it a loft, and many building companies that build in WA advertise lofts/loft houses
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

Ooh, I must have a nice home.... we have a toilet with a separate door that opens out of the ensuite (master) bathroom. But we also have a stand alone toilet (not a "half bath, just a tiny room with the toilet in there) in the hall and then we walk a few steps to the other bathroom to wash our hands.
    I've learnt lots about US words for bathrooms watching US house hunters shows - I didn't know what half bath (toilet and handbasin) three quarter bath (toilet, handbasin, shower but no bath), full bath (all the stuff including a bath) were but now I'm much more educated! Oh, and I know a soaking tub from a jetted tub. I think we would call them a bath vs a spa.

I've also learnt that apparently the things that everyone desires in a house in the US are open concept living room/kitchen, hardwood floors, granite countertops and double basins in the master bath. Unless you want a tiny home but even then people still want baths half the time.

We must have a nice home too.... Our ensuite has a toilet with a door. Our other toilet is right next to the main bathroom aswell.

What do other places call the outback/bush? As in, desert areas, or areas that aren't forested, just heavily shrubbed? If you live in those areas here, youre living "in the bush" or "Out bush". We do have some forests/rainforests, but lots of "bush"
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Saw a reference to Master Bathroom earlier. My wife is British and calls it En Suite. Seems a french word for the two rooms together - bedroom and bathroom.

Of course one must be very careful about bath and shower. I've almost always taken my baths in a shower. British folk seem to take a "bath" lying or sitting in a bath(tub) and a "shower" standing in a shower enclosure.

Yeah I call a bathroom that is kinda joined to a bedroom an ensuite. Don't most Brits have the shower nozzle in the actual bath? You don't have a separate shower and bath?
    One thing i can't stand is when the toilet is in the bathroom, I lived in a unit that had that , drove me nuts!

Things are gradually changing. My first visit to Britain was nearly 29 years ago and there was no provision for a shower. Just lie there in that disgusting bathtub full of water. On subsequent visits, I saw shower nozzles being installed.

All my life I've lived in houses where the Master Bathroom had a tub but also equipped with a shower nozzle, and the other bathroom(s) in the house had only a shower instead of a tub.

And yes, for me the toilet has generally been in the bathroom. I've been to a few houses where the toilet was separate, but the sink to wash your hands was in the bathroom!!

Yep, it's the same here. The sink is in the bathroom and separate toilet.

Just an FYI for those of you who have the toilet/bathroom and toothbrushes in the same room. Make sure and have a secure airtight cover on your toothbrushes! I saw a show where they tested the toothbrush surface, and lets just say they may as well have cleaned their toilet with their toothbrushes :confounded:
    Actually, there have been some similar experiments where they tested toothbrushes or other surfaces rooms away and got same result.

It isn't the toothbrush and toilet in the bathroom problem - it is the reality of minuscule faecal particles being part of life.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    In California, when we hear "in the bush" we immediately think of Australia. I think we would just call it the desert or chaparral. Chaparral is what you see in a lot of old western movies.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Desert (mostly sand), wilderness, grassland (low shrubs etc.)

I also associate the term "in the bush" to Austrailia
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wifebeater.

Here in the UK, we call it a vest.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Wifebeater.

Here, a vest is a sweater/jacket without sleeves. An A-Frame Tee or "wife beater" is a ribbed, tank top style undershirt.
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    Wifebeater.

Here, a vest is a sweater/jacket without sleeves. An A-Frame Tee or "wife beater" is a ribbed, tank top style undershirt.

Exactly.

The sweater jacket thing without sleeves, we call a body warmer of a gilet
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I was thinking this. We lived in Oklahoma for a bit when I was a kid (my dad is in the oil industry) and then moved to Alaska. When in Oklahoma tornadoes were the scary thing and we didn't have a basement. Soon after we moved to AK there was an earthquake (pretty common) and my mom had no idea what to do (my dad was actually in AK part of his childhood as well as at the time of the big earthquake, but hadn't given her any advice), and she ran us down to the basement, which we had there. Not the thing to do, although usually nothing happens with an earthquake anyway.

Speaking of Alaska, "in the bush" is a term used there too, I think in the same way it is in Australia.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and there aren't a lot of basements around here. We do have storm cellars for when there is a tornado, but you wouldn't want to spend much time there. We don't have "the bush" here. But we do refer to areas out in the middle of nowhere as "the sticks".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options

We must have a nice home too.... Our ensuite has a toilet with a door. Our other toilet is right next to the main bathroom aswell.

What do other places call the outback/bush? As in, desert areas, or areas that aren't forested, just heavily shrubbed? If you live in those areas here, youre living "in the bush" or "Out bush". We do have some forests/rainforests, but lots of "bush"

Hereabouts (Michigan/US), if we're talking about where people live (but with bigger spaces between them), we'd say "out in the country". As in, "I live in the city, but my sister lives out in the country." "Rural area" is another, slightly more formal, term. If you're talking about (true) wilderness, or mountains, or desert, or something, you might say that instead. But any of those could be "out in the country" conversationally, too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I was working internationally and we were having a similar conversation about different word meanings. The looks on the girls faces when I used the phrase "sitting on your fanny watching the boob tube." It was all kinds of fun!

LOL Thank you Wikipedia, for explaining that Americans call boob tubes 'tube tops'

Actually, we used the term boob tube to refer to televisions.

As an austalian I also know a boob tube as a stretchy top with no straps and it is only recently with the American TV shows that Sandshoes are now known as Sneakers or Runners

Then there is
    footpath - sidewalk
    Lift- elevator
    And most Australians know the toilet as the Loo, the Bog, little boys/girls room LOL

We have both footpaths and sidewalks. Sidewalks are paved (usually concrete, sometimes asphalt, brick, etc.). Footpaths are not so much intentionally constructed as worn down by people walking in a particular place lots. (If you were out canoeing a river, you might expect to find a footpath on the bank, going around a rapids that some people would prefer not to paddle through, for example.)

The thing in between - groomed walking area that isn't paved, like gravel or sand - would maybe be a path or trail or something like that.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Red pop = Cream soda
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Hereabouts (Michigan/US), if we're talking about where people live (but with bigger spaces between them), we'd say "out in the country". As in, "I live in the city, but my sister lives out in the country." "Rural area" is another, slightly more formal, term. If you're talking about (true) wilderness, or mountains, or desert, or something, you might say that instead. But any of those could be "out in the country" conversationally, too.

To me, "out in the country" implies a rural area with a farming type feel. Corn fields, cows, barns and horses...
    "Out in the sticks" implies more of a backwoodsy setting.

I would also recognize "out in the bushes" as a variant of "out in the sticks."

ETA: go far enough out into the sticks and you'll end up "out in the boonies."
    (Also, boondocks or boonieville)
  • GrahamUK72
    Options
    I know Aussies call flip flops thongs :)