Women who drink

Options
1235»

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I love my nightly glass of red wine and I fit it in my cals/macros.
    I won't stop myself from a drink or two on weekends when I want to. I just make sure I don't over do it.

In fact, I have been drinking far less than I used to due to the fact that I have to be top shape the next morning to hit the gym =P
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to drink, I would also have a glass of water w/ a lemon slice also. Drink your drink, drink some water and repeat. Not only does it help with the hangover the next day, but it keeps you from knocking back so much alcohol (calories).
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Workout the day of, drink a TON of water, stick to vodka & plain soda (NO BEER) and COUNT THEM.
    Weightloss, not to over simplify is CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT- yes theres more to it, but basically, if you stay under calories even with the drinsk, you'll be fine.
    I know I drink- A LOT, and have still lost
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's fair to say it really screws up fat loss, but I don't think it's a myth either. Here's my understanding of it though some of the science types might want to clean this up some: when you consume alchohol, your body immediately gets to work metabolizing it instead of whatever else like fat, for example. So for the time period you have alcohol in your system, you essentially can't lose fat (or very much of it) - regardless of whether you are in a caloric deficit or not. How much this can impact your goals would seem to be affected by a lot of variables like how big of a caloric deficit you are in, how much alcohol you consume and how often, and probably varies by individiual too.

Anecdotally, it is clear that some people have great success losing weight and body fat while drinking - sometimes heavily. Other people seem to have more trouble with it.

Personally, I enjoy beer, wine, and the occaisional glass of whiskey. Most of my weight loss was done when I cut back quite a bit but I've been successfully maintaining/losing slightly while indulging once or twice a week

alcohol really screws up your fat loss. I can't recite the technical reasons but it's the way your body uses acohol for fuel (or doesnt rather) that is a double-whammy to fat loss.

I'm sure there are some experts who can chime in.

Not really. It has very significant effects on the body, but it doesn't "screw up" anything as far as caloric balance. This myth owes a lot to the fact that people tend to lose willpower and diet adherence when they are intoxicated, as well as the fact that when hungover, most people will crave energy dense (especially fatty) foods.

I'm no self-proclaimed expert but I drink a lot, eat a lot, read a lot and exercise a lot :)
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I'm worried about calories, I aim for mixed drinks with diet soda. The soda is zero calories so essentially I'm just get calories from the shot. Liquor seems to be anywhere from 60-100 calories (you can google specific ones).

I like:
    - diet 7up + southern comfort
    - diet coke + rum
    - diet coke + jack

Or sometimes I go for simple drinks with juice & no complicated ingredients if I get bored of soda all night. I find they're around 230-250 calories.
    - vodka cranberry
    - screw driver
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    The worst part about drinking is the bastardization of the bartending world. Sour mix? Garbage. It's all empty calories full of fake sugars and chemicals. Gross. I didn't even drink it when I wasn't bothering with calories or health. The juice mixers that you get at your run of the mill bar are crap. They're food coloring, HFCS, empty calories, etc. I'll put money on it that most of them are 10% or less. We should all know the dangers of soda drinks. Not to mention the articles coming out about how bad diet soda is for you. If you're going to do juice then grapefruit tends to be your best bet. I drink vodka, soda, grapefruit if I really need a flavor.

The darker the liquor the more calories it has is a decent rule of thumb that usually holds true.

The sugars in those fruit juices and mixers are also inducing those nasty hangovers. Same goes for drinking poor quality well liquor in quantities. If I'm watching the pennies and drinking well, I try not to have a lot. Those spirits are not pure, they're full of chemicals and sometimes they're not even what they claim to be. Some super cheap tequila brands aren't even made, at all, from agave. Nothin' wrong with well liquor, just in moderation.

The good thing about the craft cocktail part of the industry is by and large you know what you're getting if you're at a reputable bar. Quality ingredients, fresh squeezed, legitimate liquor brands.

Right, what am i going to drink tonight? I'm thinking wine.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not sure if any one has said this already, but vodka and club soda w/ lime ... I would drink this all the time and didn't even think about it being low cal or anything ... I just liked it becuse is kept me hydrated, which is key in preventing/minimizing hangovers (the club soda is basically carbonated water) and I'm not a fan of overly sweet mixed drinks ... then one day I was reading a SHAPE magazine (for sh*ts and giggles, because most of qhat they say is BS and hype) while I was getting a pedicure and saw a list of healthy, low cal drink options and vodka club was #1 with only 100 calories ... I also like red wine, it's about 120 calories per 6oz serving, but I drink it because I like the flavor ... It's useless to drink or eat something if you don't like it, I mean you should actually enjoy it ...
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm a lush. Drink low cal and responsibly. Dont get pregnant and enjoy life :)
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If I drink during the week I keep it within my cals. A couple times a month I take a night and go over, but am right back to it the next day. So far I'm still seeing losses. When I was in college I would binge drink 3 nights a week and eat like crap and still eventually lost 75 lbs. It can happen :)
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    lol @ don't get pregnant
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I drink on the weekends (with 4 kids, saves my sanity), and I have lost 50 lbs since Christmas. Biggest change for me was cutting out the beer. Very few, very far between. I stick with vodka and low cal chasers, like Wyler's tea mx. We don't really go to the bar much, and when we do, it's only for 1-2 drinks anyways. We just stay home and take shots, lol.
  • clairewortham12
    clairewortham12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I generally drink once a week and don't have a problem losing weight. I basically stopped the "glass or two of wine at night" drinking, and save it for the "sleeping on the bathroom floor" nights of drinking.

Love this! I've been debating on what would be best for me, quitting my "glass or two of wine at night" during the week or quitting weekends. I think this has been the best advice I've seen.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Diet soda+Alcohol. Stay away from high calorie mixers. Also, as fun as they are, keep in mind that the fancy fruity drinks always have the most calories! I had a pina colada from a restaurant that was 500 calories!!! FIVE HUNDRED!!! I just about had a heart attack lol.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i love my wine- typically 2-4 glasses 1-2x a week!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Drink low cal and responsibly. Dont get pregnant and enjoy life :)

I think this is my new life mantra lol.
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Vodka, soda and lime! My drink of choice since MFP ... cocktails have very little space in my calorie deficit day. :drinker: