Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    Is anyone watching the eclipse tomorrow (obviously I'm not!)

There was a full eclipse around where I live about, I don't know, 15 years ago? People made some kind of mega event out of it. While I was fascinated by the science, the actual act of watching it was slow and disappointing. There were too many clouds and it just does not look like fancy timelapse videos of it.
    In case I accidentally have time, I might watch one again, but I won't put any effort into being able to do so.

Where do you live :)

And yeah we've had one in my lifetime (25 years) where I live (uk).
    Don't really remember it though!

I live in Germany... but I am planning to move to UK next year, as my boyfriend is there. I am 5 years older than you, so we probably speak about the same eclipse. I researched it. I thought it was in the 21st century but I found out it must have been in August 1999.

Somehow now I feel a little old. :D

Haha yeah 1999 would have put me at 7years old :sweat_smile: so that would be about right
    That makes me feel old!!

Where abouts in the U.K. Are you moving to :)

Hopefully Cambridge. That's why I am so nervous about this application I did... I mean, for being 'locally bound' Cambridge has many choices for me, but still it is harder to find a nice position when I can't just search around the world. And I really want to do a postdoc.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Just for Saturday:
    * Water :# I thought I did but this morning my fingers are like little puffy sausages so obviously not enough!
    * Log every bite :)
    * Having difficult discussion with DH today about our dog. He is not doing well health-wise. :) Discussed this and at this point we are going to wait and watch a little bit. He does still eat and wag his tail, so we're going to watch how he progresses...
    * I slept too late to go fishing today, so I'm going to look for something soothing to my soul to do instead. Maybe today I will actually start a new quilt, or move my sewing area upstairs to the newly emptied old office room. Want a baby quilt, Bex? Private message me your address and I will make one for the new little one! It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be made with lots of love. :) I didn't do much today except relax. I have a feeling it will be the same today. I think I caught my granddaughter's cold. Not feeling well this weekend. Sore throat and headachy. Starting to cough. Not good!
    * Hug, kiss and love on my family. :)
    * Meditate with Calm :(
    * Journal :)

Today is going to be a quiet lazy day again. I'm not feeling good. Pretty sure I caught my granddaughter's cold. Coughing, headache, sore throat. I have 10 new providers coming for training tomorrow and I have to be able to teach/talk for 5 hours so today will be a day of rest.

Just for Sunday
    * Log every bite
    * Hydrate
    * Do at least one thing on my to-do list so I feel like I accomplished something this weekend
    * Do not log into work computer today
    * Rest. That's it. Just rest.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Here's a little fun question for you all! (I'm sure you will all find it hilarious)

I put my washing machine on a 2hr cycle.. now.. who can tell me what's wrong with this photo..

zl9lnpitzcoq.jpg

That is hilarious!!! Hopefully nothing needed a good wash, but just a good rinse! :lol:
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 Is that a detergent pack on the floor? Lol. I laughed really hard!!!
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JFT Saturday: Workout in morning before we leave for the day. ✅

JFT Sunday: Disassociate from the part of my brain that is pushing me to binge. I let it take over last night.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 Is that a detergent pack on the floor? Lol. I laughed really hard!!!

It is. I tend to just lob it in lol!
    It must've rolled out as I shut the door and it took me 1hr 50m to realise!!

Luckily I put oxi action powder in for stains and fabric softener so everything turned out okay!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    So I have a SV and a NSV! I'm 2.5lbs away from my first mini goal! AND my favorite pair of jeans that I havent been able to fit in properly in 2 years actually fits! Woohoo!

Yesss :D!!
  • HGSmith0920
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So I have a SV and a NSV! I'm 2.5lbs away from my first mini goal! AND my favorite pair of jeans that I havent been able to fit in properly in 2 years actually fits! Woohoo!

Yesss :D!!

And it's funny because I havent been exercising much...just getting some time pacing behind the teller line at work. I've been eating pretty well though...with the exception of a few days that I binged. I just never expected to lose that much so fast! I was 169 last week and I'm 167.4 right now! 165 is my first mini goal! The ultimate goal is 145. So I'm totally getting there!
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Ummm can someone please tell me what a fellowship is?

I go to a church where we have a fellowship committee. I belong to the committee (4 yr term) where we organize fun events for church and the public. BBQs, bowling events, Ice cream socials, we cater a golf fundraiser and so on. Funny, it came natural to me to join a group that has food at most of their events :smile:.

BUT, in the USA, I believe a fellow can be a doctor in training.

• Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

JosephineBowman, thinking of you and hoping you find peace everyday.

Drink 9 cups of water.
    Track everything.
    Meditate/rest 20 mins this afternoon. Use Calm App.
    Vacuum & clean car (so no gym). Wish we had some shade on our driveway.
    Walk the newly bathed dog in PM.
    Pack for Canada.
    Stop by Barnes & Noble w/gift cards to get DD activity books for 10-11 hr drive.
    Make list of foods that my parents won't have in house so I can shop the day after we arrive.
    10 pm bedtime.
    Walk/cycle everyday while in Canada.

This morning I didn't eat any of the cookies I baked last night. Had DH be my taste tester. I had a good amt of protein in my breakfast which I believed helped.

Remind myself that this is my journey. :smile:
  • skymningen
    Options
    Saragirl2 wrote: »
    Ummm can someone please tell me what a fellowship is?

I go to a church where we have a fellowship committee. I belong to the committee (4 yr term) where we organize fun events for church and the public. BBQs, bowling events, Ice cream socials, we cater a golf fundraiser and so on. Funny, it came natural to me to join a group that has food at most of their events :smile:.

BUT, in the USA, I believe a fellow can be a doctor in training.

Neither nor. It is a type of stipend, basically, for an academic position (usually a PhD or in my case a PostDoc).
    The correct explanation on wikipedia would be "A merit-based scholarship, or form of academic financial aid".
    You have to apply like you would for a job and there are also often some bonuses connected with it that you would not have on a stipend, to me it is like an intermediate of a stipend and a salaried job.
  • skymningen
    Options
    Let's see...
    1) Got to the gym. :)It was awesome. I was so fit today!
    2) Try to do 2 more runs of laundry. :|I did one.
    3) Eat a large salad with lamb. :)Yum!!
    4) Pre-cook for tomorrows lunch. :)
    5) Check the work stuff again, if it does finish in the afternoon, start running second part so I am all set tomorrow. :|It is still running... why does this always have to be slow when I am on a deadline?
    6) Work on my thesis and/or the book chapter :)Not too much, but I feel it was better quality work than yesterday.
    7)Don't touch the treat. :)Still there, ready for tomorrow.
    8) Don't feel overwhelmed. Just do not let it get to me. :) Managed. I was happy today. Did not think very much about tomorrow and the upcoming stressful week.

I actually did better now that I write it down than I thought during the day. Tomorrow... let's see. Tomorrow will be a problem.

1) Write something for the book chapter.
    2) Take pre-cut melon pieces to work. Do not forget in the morning!
    3) Take treat to work? I am not sure about that. If the result is bad, I might go home and sulk anyway.
    4) Go to the talk at 2 pm. And work after it from home.
    5) Take it as it will be. Do not stress out the whole day just because of something that might or might not happen.
    6) Have a lunch break, even though the schedule is tight.
  • HGSmith0920
    Options
    oud0az377l1n.jpg
    Sitting out on the back deck with my laptop and a beer! I'm actually ecstatic about this. It's been a while since I have been able to do this! Waiting on the DH to get home from work. I hope he sits outside with me and drinks a beer as well!
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The goals were --> watch calories (hmm, lunch was major so dinner was sparse) and drink water (still drinking, will take water to bed as I seemed to be in dire straits this morning when I hadn't eaten yet) and exercise (did that). Don't be late for church (check). Do the shot first thing without whining (yep). Drive out to cemetery and talk to my husband (placed a red dragonfly on grave this week). If it doesn't rain and the grass is dry, might ride around on mower (didn't do that but am fixing a place to put iris-that's when I thought blood sugar was too low). Think I was just dehydrated as I felt better with cold water almost immediately.
    MONDAY--
    No caloric excess --eat tuna salad, pico de gallo, and maybe that other peach over there!
    Exercise-- going to the pool and I will do some yardwork.
    Be precise with water-- goal 12 cups, thinking could be headed toward kidney trouble if I am dehydrated.
    Discuss eclipse but we will just look out window to observe. I don't trust the kid not to look.
    Do 3 lessons with boy online.

Thank you to those who shared sympathy regarding my husband. We are 9 months into this and I am less scared than I was but I am determined to keep his memory alive for our son. I just did not think he would leave us so soon and quickly.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »

✔House cleaning and organizing
    ✔Clean out closets
    ✔Laundry
    ✔Plan weekly meals
    ✔Run on elliptical
    ✔Day 1 (20s plank) on 28-Day Plank Challenge
    ❌Dinner by 7pm --> 8 pm✔
    ❌Bedtime by 10 pm--> 11 pm✔

• HGSmith0920
    Options
    1. Church at 9 :)
    2. Pick up groceries :)
    3. Go to Aldi's :D
    4. Wash dishes :)
    5. Food in crock for dinner :)Made chicken for wraps and sandwiches instead of a dinner but I used the cooked chicken to make some yummy wraps for dinner, so I guess that counts lol
    6. Laundry :)
    7. Clean living room :/
    8. Dinner and baseball with the DH :)
    9. Wind down by 930 :)Around there...though more like 10pm
    10. Bed by 1030 :*Probably a few minutes later. It's 10:28 and I still have to write my list for tomorrow and set my alarm!

Had a super relaxing day today! Had a really good time at church today. For about ten minutes of the service, we had a kind of "quiet time" where we just sat. We waited, listened and was just in the moment. It was amazing. The Pastor said some things here and there but it was just an awesome time of soaking. Lol. Had a great afternoon too! Picked up half my groceries from the store. Have to finish the other half tomorrow or Tuesday(probably Tuesday). Had some awesome me time out on my back deck with my laptop and a beer. The DH came home and sat out back with me and drank one of his own beers. It was nice to catch up on the day.

So anyway!
    JFT, 8/21/17

1. Log all food
    2. Keep in green
    3. Keep drawer balanced
    4. Ask for help if I need it
    5. Look for dress for Friday
    6. Make it through the day with a smile!
    7. Actually make dinner when I get home! No wraps or pizza!
    8. Spend time with the DH
    9. Wind down by 9:30
    10. Bed by 10:30

Have a great night everyone!
  • asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @josephinebowman:
    Thank you to those who shared sympathy regarding my husband. We are 9 months into this and I am less scared than I was but I am determined to keep his memory alive for our son. I just did not think he would leave us so soon and quickly.
    I am so sorry about your husband. My husband has been gone for ten years--the first two years were very hard; I was still working at a church job, so I had to get out of bed and keep going; also my 90-year old mother was living with us, so she was pleasant company and didn't need a lot of attention health-wise until later. Your placing a dragonfly on his grave reminds me that I have a red daylily that he bought at a farmer's market I have been meaning to place on his grave--he wasn't really much of a gardener, but he would go to flower shows to please me, and he loved the color red.!