Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Is apple and peanut butter an American thing? :grimace:

I guess! It's incredibly popular here. I had to stop eating it because I would go through a half a jar of peanut butter per apple. Lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Saturday:
    1. Test out bad knee with an hour of Zumba! Gym is open again! :smiley:
    2. DJing out of town tonight...try not to dance for more than an hour (salsa, bachata, cumbia) :)
    3. not tracking food today :)
    4. 10+ C water:)

Took Sunday "off" and spent time at my parents' place helping them with a bunch of things. Actually got in quite a bit of walking. They eat very healthily, but too high in carbs for me!

I am feeling extraordinarily unmotivated today. In addition to this, I am making a detailed list of other small things that need to be accomplished...maybe this will light a fire.

Monday:
    1. Plan and pre-track exercise for the week
    2. 60 minutes Zumba + warmup
    3. Do some gardening
    4. One self-care activity
    5. under 100G carbs
    6. under 1200 calories
    7. at least 8 freggies
    8. meal prep and salsa canning
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Is apple and peanut butter an American thing? :grimace:

Definitely. People in the US are obsessed with peanut butter. Not so much in the rest of the Americas, though you can certainly find peanuts and peanut products in most places.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Bex: Peanut butter on apple slices, peanut butter on celery, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, peanut butter on crackers, yum.....love peanut butter. But I stay away from it because I will eat it by the spoonful and not stop and it's so high in fat! LOL! :smile:
  • PrincesseAly23
    PrincesseAly23 Posts: 440 Member
    Options

DAY 12 (Sept 4th) goals:
    - Try to forget how miserable this weekend was (yes. Had a relatively good day)
    - Have 1 decent (happy/stressless) day - yes
    - Get back on the horse and find my inner willpower X
    - Stay in the green on cals. X
    - Stay under 100 carbs X
    - Drink water X
    - Prepare for work on Tues - kinda?
    - Create to-do list for the week to be ready for vacation - kinda
    - Do research so that I can get a new phone. Kinda

DAY 13 (Sept 5th) goals: Same as today's:
    - Get back on the horse and find my inner willpower
    - Stay in the green on cals
    - Stay under 100 carbs
    - Drink water
    - Get a new phone.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

JFT, 9/4/17

1. Log all food :)
    2. Stay in green :)
    3. Quiet time(read/meditate/pray) :)
    4. Yoga :)
    5. Check out HP challenges :)
    6. Get as many ^ done as possible :)Got two parts done. Gonna finish the rest tomorrow
    7. Prep dinner :)
    8. Look into Slow Cooker Brownie recipe :)Was yummy but screwed up the settings so the edges got kind of burned
    9. Enjoy yummy dinner :)Could have been better. I cooked the rice too long and forgot to add the salt. It turned out okay though
    10. Spend time with DH :)He watched sports while I read my book and at one point he fell asleep on my shoulder. It was adorable!
    11. Bed whenever :)About to turn in now

Have a great night everyone!

Had a great day! I love my days off! I have one tomorrow too! The DH came home in a rotten mood because the last half an hour of his work was terrible and then about an hour after he got home the cat clawed him because he was scared and that just set the DH off even more. So I went about settling the restive stallion that is my husband when he's angry. But he didn't break anything! He hasn't broken anything since the time he broke his phone and I didn't talk to him for three days. But the day got better and the evening as turned out very well! I got a bunch of chapters read in my book and am about to turn in in a good state of mind. Tomorrow may be different though. My mom and I are going to the psychiatrist and telling him that I want to stop taking my meds for personal reasons, including the desire to start trying to have kids. But I know that he won't be happy about it, and honestly, I'm a little nervous, but I have a great therapist who has the same set of beliefs that I do as well as the much more training. Lol. I trust her completely. She, my mom and DH will all be watching me closely to see if things start to go sideways for me and if they do, we will come up with a plan to get me back into maintenance mode.

So for tomorrow, JFT, 9/5/17

1. Log all food
    2. Keep in green
    3. Quiet time
    4. Yoga
    5. HP challenges
    6. Bike ride
    7. Dr appt
    8. Spend some time cleaning
    9. Clothes shopping
    10. Bed by 10:30

Have a great night everyone!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have to say something about the peanut butter thing... can someone please explain it to me? I hate very little foods, but peanut or almond butter I just can't stand. It tastes heavy and overly 'nutty' and a little... stale (?) to me. I have tried it over and over, because I thought if people love it so much, it must at least be edible normal food. But I can't. I am nearly tempted to get me another jar for another try (but there is only one brand here, so maybe that is bad?) but I don't want to throw food out. And I probably would.
    skymningen wrote: »
    1) Write sth for thesis :)
    2) Do not stress out on the first day ;)I stressed a little in the morning. Then I took one of this new lavender pills I got and got better. Lavender working? Placebo? Whatever. As long as it works.
    3) There IS a TO-DO list on the whiteboard. Stick to that. Do not come up with a new list, that is NOT how it works. :)
    4) Drink enough water :)

Today? I am not sure. I would normally go to the gym, but I think I am putting that off for tomorrow. TOM came and painfully.

1) Write sth for thesis
    2) Drink enough water
    3) Call parents in the evening
    4) Be a loving girlfriend, even though my uterus hurts.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I have to say something about the peanut butter thing... can someone please explain it to me? I hate very little foods, but peanut or almond butter I just can't stand. It tastes heavy and overly 'nutty' and a little... stale (?) to me. I have tried it over and over, because I thought if people love it so much, it must at least be edible normal food. But I can't. I am nearly tempted to get me another jar for another try (but there is only one brand here, so maybe that is bad?) but I don't want to throw food out. And I probably would.

Are you in the US?

The only commercial brand that I like is Adams. Even better is to go to a place that has a grinder and grind your own nut butters fresh, with no additives at all. You can do this at health food stores, Fred Meyer (Kroger), WinCo, etc.

A friend of mine was complaining about peanut butter in the US about six months ago...I could not figure out what she meant because I have lived in her home country (Ecuador) and nut butters there are like the healthy ones here. Then I accidentally got some Skippy and it dawned on me...that stuff is DISGUSTING.

• skymningen
    Options

Are you in the US?

The only commercial brand that I like is Adams. Even better is to go to a place that has a grinder and grind your own nut butters fresh, with no additives at all. You can do this at health food stores, Fred Meyer (Kroger), WinCo, etc.

A friend of mine was complaining about peanut butter in the US about six months ago...I could not figure out what she meant because I have lived in her home country (Ecuador) and nut butters there are like the healthy ones here. Then I accidentally got some Skippy and it dawned on me...that stuff is DISGUSTING.
    No, I am in Germany. We do have the healthy nut butters in health stores. That might be part of the trauma, because my mum had a phase where she bought mixed healthy nut butter and tried to 'sell' it to little me as something like Nutella. I refused to eat it again after the first try. So for me, the unsweetened ones are actually worse. Never tried those again. It tasted like too old nuts, as far as I remember. Dusty and slightly... not rotten, but off?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,091 Member
    Options
    I've seen banana and PB over here! In my first job!
    Someone asked for a banana and PB sandwich.. I had to go ask my manager :lol:
    And then when the company got taken over that was the first thing to go lol!

I'm not sure what the UK do wth PB. I normally have it on toast lol! Or just a normal sandwich

I couldn't imagine it on apple.

I think our "best" brand over here is Sunpat.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I looooooove peanut butter. I can't keep it in the flat as I would eat it from the jar without stopping. I do allow myself to take it to festivals though as you can keep it in a tent for four days without refrigeration - such a treat :smile:

I've never tried it with apple but I can see how that would be nice - it's the whole salty/sweet. My grandparents always used to eat apple with a bit of cheese - that's yum! (Particularly when you eat more cheese than apple)
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    Today was terrible diet wise. I was pretty good up until the interview - even ordering healthy food when I went to sit in a cafe for an hour at lunch to prep.

But the interview was weird and stressful. I'd been expecting to have an interesting chat about what the job would involve, what I know about policy (the area I'm trying to get into) and my ideas for the business (which I'd said I had lots of in my application).

But instead it was some weird competency interview where they just fired question after question at me - 'tell me about a time when you....' 'how would you deal with a situation where....' and my personal favourite: 'how do you deal with complexity and uncertainty?' (Like this *kitten* question?!)

It left me feeling like I have no idea what the job is ACTUALLY going to be and the impression that I do have is that it's going to be predominantly stakeholder management (i.e. manipulating obnoxious people into doing what you want) rather than having ideas/ analysing evidence, etc.

So what did I do? I ate. And drank. And went over my calories by 1000. Quite annoyed with myself now, I didn't even enjoy half of that 1000. That's going to take a lot of effort to burn off if I'm going to stick to my plan!

Oh well... back on track today!

So, yesterday's commitments -
    - Log everything I eat :smile:
    - No snacks except ryvita :'(
    - Be in the green :'(
    - Stay calm about interview - all I can do is my best :neutral: I stayed relatively calm beforehand, though I was fairly nervous
    - Focus on normal work this morning but don't get stressed about it - interview is the priority :smile:
    - Take 12.30-3 to prepare :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - Call mum (and sort out tax) :neutral: Called mum but didn't do the tax, again. Anyone would think I didn't want to do it...

Today's commitments -
    - Log everything I eat
    - No snacks except ryvita
    - No alcohol
    - Go to gym and burn 350 cals
    - Be in the green with 300 deficit

- 30 + minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Leave work by 5.30
    - Call mum (and sort out tax)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Did not observe my calorie goal yesterday. Went to pool for an hour. Did some lessons with son. Best to let it go as a not great day.
    Today, get back on track.
    Faithfully observe calorie content of food.
    Fit exercise in everywhere and go to pool with son-2:30ish, martial arts 4:30, heritage center 6ish. See if can find his shoes we left at pool yesterday.
    School for son-he has tests today and we need to do his major classes 2 lessons in each. Read a book to him and return things to library.
    Laundry, kitchen counter, and vacuum floor quickly. Saw spots on stairs so they need washing off--16 steps
    Food for day-hmm, biscuits and sausage for him/egg for me; mac/cheese for him/salad for me, pizza him/tuna salad and wasa bread for me. A plan! Off to get started on it all.
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    9/5/17
    September goals are:
    10day plus plank challenge :) 3 :) 4
    21 day plus yoga challenge:) 3 :) 4
    Heating healthy – cutting out as much sugar as possible :) 4
    Focus on lower belly fat loss
    Advocare 10 day challenge
    Uplifted spirit and personal growth :) 4
    Support – needed and given - SHAPE:) 4

@HGSmith0920 – Congrats on sleeping in and still achieving what you set out to for the day. I hate the cold weather and especially the gloomy days.
    @joan6630 – Nice NSV
    @azulvioleta6 – Carbs are my down fall too second to sugar. Great motivation list.
    @PrincesseAly23 – Sorry you had a bad weekend.
    @slittlemeister – They want to know you that is the first interview then the second when you get called back will
    be those other questions . Put yesterday behind you and start fresh.
    @josephinebowman – enjoy your time it goes so fast

I love peanut butter but really also like the all natural with honey called Bee’s Knees or something like that.
    I hope you all have a great day. Stay positive and keep on keeping on.
    Elaine
    213/211/199
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I like Skippy and Jif, but actually will eat any kind of peanut butter. I actually don't care for the healthy kind though. To me, that is too dry. I like it on almost anything! My husband eats it on toast with bacon! Ewwwww....

@slittlemeister They always ask those kinds of questions in the first interview. At least they do where I work. They ask everyone the exact sane questions, go through answers and narrow it down to the people they want to bring back for second interview usually. Hang in there! And you know what? If you don't get it, that just means there is a job you would like much better out there around the corner....

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just for Monday:
    1. <29g added sugar, <75g carbs, 100g protein ;) Did great until 11:00 pm when I got nauseous and ate like 4 granola bars!! Dammit!
    2. Grocery shop :)
    3. Prep and freeze NutriBullet ingredients in baggies for the week :)
    4. Take 500 more steps than yesterday :)
    5. Mix some essential oil blends for arthritic pain for DH (just learning about these) :) They actually worked!
    6. Take my measurements and update MFP :# Updated my weight. It's up again from last weigh in but down from Sunday so that's good?!
    7. Enjoy having the house to myself today since DH is up north scouting hunting land. Re-energize! :)
    8. Listen to my podcasts :)
    9. Gratitude journal / meditate/ prayers :)
    10. Bed unplugged by 9:00 and sleeping by 10:00 :(

Just for Tuesday
    1. <29 g added sugar, <75 carbs, increase protein
    2. Take 500 more steps than yesterday
    3. Listen to my podcasts
    4. Remain positive. Walk away from negativity at work.
    5. Stand more, sit less at my desk today.
    6. Send less emails; call or walk over by people for questions
    7. Do not stress or complain at work today
    8. Leave work by 4:30
    9. Good Start, Good End challenge. Come up with morning and end of day routines and try them for one week for a less stressful start and end to my days.
    10. Meditation walk tonight
    11. Gratitude journal today
    12. Unplug at 9:00 and sleep by 10:00.

Life is all about choices. I can choose to be happy and positive today, or I can choose to get annoyed and negative. Today, I choose to smile. :mrgreen:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options

2) Do not stress out on the first day ;)I stressed a little in the morning. Then I took one of this new lavender pills I got and got better. Lavender working? Placebo? Whatever. As long as it works.

Lavender is an awesome natural stress reliever! I diffuse it next to the couch for about an hour at night before bed, and I have some that I put a drop on each of my wrists and on my chest over my heart and it helps me get so nice and calm I fall asleep much easier. I'm glad it's working for you! I started using it about one week ago, myself!
  • skymningen
    Options

Lavender is an awesome natural stress reliever! I diffuse it next to the couch for about an hour at night before bed, and I have some that I put a drop on each of my wrists and on my chest over my heart and it helps me get so nice and calm I fall asleep much easier. I'm glad it's working for you! I started using it about one week ago, myself!
    I also have a pillow spray which includes lavender and a little roll-on stick with lavender oil. I have used them for bedtime for years and love it. I just wasn't too sure about literally eating the stuff. But it seems to work great. I had another this morning, I am not unusually tired (I expected it to somehow trigger "sleepy time") but I am very calm during a really stressful day of work. Now the only downside is, that I would like to be just naturally calmer, without relying on taking this stuff every day. We will see.

• bookmeister86
    Options

Haha, lavender makes me stressed. I got super stressed when preparing for my final exams at university and couldn't sleep well so tried putting lavender oil on my pillow. Unfortunately it didn't work - I was still stressed and unable to sleep - and now every time I smell lavender it takes me back to that awful time... :smiley:
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    @mepeiffer @OConnell5483 Thanks - they aren't going to get any more technical in the second round though. I asked what that would entail and they said that if they do have a second round - and they might not - it would be more informal and to test 'team fit'. Which leaves me thinking - where is the bit where you test what I actually know/ whether or not I can think?!