Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    :star: Merry Christmas :star:
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to hop on here to tell you all Merry Christmas!

It's been a busy few days, but oh what a wonderful Christmas it was with all our kids and grandkids! We even got to play with our 9-month-old twin great-grandsons! So much fun. The timing was wonderful. Everyone came and went throughout the day which gave us all time for some one-on-one time with each of the kids/grandkids. Good food, good fun, and a LOT of laughter yesterday. Christmas Day today was quiet and laid back. We do Christmas Eve at our house for everyone and they all go to their in-laws on Christmas Day. We watch movies, nap and eat leftovers.

I did pretty good food-wise. I didn't journal at all, but I was mindful of how much I ate and careful not to go overboard. I had some cookies and breads so I wouldn't feel deprived, but I didn't have too many of them.

Tomorrow I go back to work. I usually take time off around the holidays but I don't have vacation at my new job yet. As much as I love Christmas, I have to admit that I'm looking forward to getting back to a normal routine. So many weeks of preparation, running around, shopping, baking, wrapping, cleaning... it'll be nice to get into my new routine with the new job, new hours, etc.

Again, Merry Christmas my MFP friends! I truly am grateful for every one of you. <3

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a great Christmas!
    The kids absolutely loved it!
    First year my eldest fully understood the whole Santa thing and she was up at 7.30 unable to contain her excitement!

Unfortunately she had to wait until her dad got up 45 mins later. So she played in her room whilst we had a cup of tea and woke up properly before tackling the MOUNTAIN of presents!

The rest of the day was pretty chilled! Movies on for the kids and I did the whole Xmas dinner by myself! And it was so nice lol!
    Got a bit grumpy around their bedtime, I was very tired and just wanted to sit and do nothing so put the girls to bed early and watched a film with OH.

Oh and the cheeky bugger had been lying to me for months!! A package came through 2 months ago from O2 and I wasn’t supposed to see it! It was a tablet! And my partner had told me that it was for our daughter at Christmas and I actually fell for it! And I said “oh let’s set it up so she can just turn it on and play on the day!” We spent like 2 hours setting it up and getting games on it for her.

It was for me. The whole time. Lol. I was so confused when I unwrapped it!
    Fortunately my partner had wiped it and factory reset it so I didn’t have to mess around deleting hundreds of kids games haha

Anyway it’s good to hear from some of you and that you’ve had a lovely Christmas! Can’t wait to hear about everyone else’s!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,198 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So glad to hear about you guy's Christmas! It sounds like everyone had a great time. @Bex -- I love how you were surprised with the tablet! Thats so funny!

We had a wonderful time, and we so very fortunate with the weather. We saw our son and grandsons, and our soon to be ex-DIL even came over while the kids opened their gifts. It is so nice that she and my son have a good relationship for the kids. But I have to say .... my son seems so much happier now that they are separated. They say the divorce is mutual, so I will never know the details, and don't care to know. The divorce will not happen for 6 months, but they have filed fot it. I just want them to be happy, which they seem to be.

We drove home on Christmas eve day, and were glad we did. We had snow all the way, but it was not sticking to the roads. But ... our son said they got 6" of snow, and still snowing. So while it was hard to leave, nice to be home.

We went to to a neighbors house for a xmas eve party, went to midnight mass, and our daughter was with us, and had a nice quiet Christmas at home, just the 3 of us. So it was a very special, blessed christmas, and so very much to be thankful for, and look forward to what the next year brings

Today, my hubby is going to a cardiologist, so hoping for good news. He does get short of breath, and I think he is very worried that he will need heart surgery. Not sure if they will do a stress test today or not, so please say a prayer. Heart disease runs is his family, so I'm glad I finally convinced him to see someone.

Hope you all have a great day. I am so afraid to get on the scale
    may wait a few days before facing the awful truth!
  • jschoenfeld01
    jschoenfeld01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody! I just stumbled on this thread and loving the positivity! Will this be continued in 2018? I would love to jump in if it’s ok. I’ve not been tracking by my food this entire year, not been exercising as a I should and I’ve gone up in weight and feel like I have to do so much to get it off. I know I need to break it down into manageable goals, and Just for Today goals are definitely way more manageable!
    JFT Tuesday 1/26
    1. Drink 8 glasses of water
    2. Track what I eat with no judgement. Step 1 is to just write it down, right?
    3. Journal
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    JFT Monday Christmas day
    1. Water :)
    2. Keep hands out of extras :|
    3. Brush and floss :)
    4. Bed by 10:30 :)

JFT Tuesday
    1. Water
    2. Daughter's for family Christmas
    3. Keep hands out of extras
    4. Brush and floss
    5. Bed by 10:30
    2. Track what I eat with no judgement. Step 1 is to just write it down, right?

Welcome and yup, just write it down. :smile: Good starting place.

@joan6630 Welcome home. It sounds like you had a great time. Question.... Will a new 2018 thread be starting or just lengthen this one?

It reads like there were some lovely Christmases had by all. :smiley:
  • mytime6630
    edited December 2017
    Options

@joan6630 Welcome home. It sounds like you had a great time. Question.... Will a new 2018 thread be starting or just lengthen this one?

Yes, I definitely want to continue doing this!! I have at least 20 pounds yet I want to get off. So here is my question --- should I start a NEW thread for the year 2018??? If I do, will you guys move over to that one??? I don't want to lose anyone, but for me, I like fresh starts.

so if you guys promise to all come over, come January 1st I'll start a new thread. Otherwise, we can just continue this one. But I love all the posters on this thread, and don't want to lose anyone, while we also want to attract and help more people!
  • mytime6630
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My jft today is simple
    1. no sugar. Throw away the left over cookies, gooy butter cake, popcorn balls, turtle pie, fudge!! Geez, no wonder the scale is up!!!
    2. drink water
    3. log all food
    4. get back on here - be accountable!!

I've decided NOT to weight myself until Dec 31, and start the new year fresh, but hoping to watch it this week, and hopefully the scale will be nice to me!

But .... tomorrow is hubbys birthday, so that is eating out. And we have 3 parties we are going to, not to mention that New Years Eve is the 45th year anniversary of when I met my husband!! Yes .... me met on a blind date on New Years eve, in 1973!!!!

So I know this week again will be hard, but I am going to try my hardest to eat smart!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Options
    @joan6630
    I’m SO glad you’re back! I’ve missed you loads!

I’m glad youve had a lovely time over Xmas!
    I will most certainly be moving across to a new thread if you make one. And if it helps I will continue to redirect people for as long as needed from this thread to the new one!

1973!
    Is it weird to think at that time I was 19 years away from being born :lol:
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    1973!
    Is it weird to think at that time I was 19 years away from being born :lol:

AHH ....... now you stop rubbing it in how old I am LOL!!!!!! Really - was this 19 years before you were born! Gosh, now I do feel really old (but I guess to a 20s something young person, I AM old!!!! :s ). But hey, I guess it beats the alternative --- I am still here!!! :D
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    Tuesday 12/26 = Last day of vacation for hubby & myself. Time to recap and start logging again.

Recap Christmas Eve 12/24
    1) Drink > 10c water / leftovers for lunch / log food including treats...maybe = 10c water & net calories red :p
    2) Make stollen (another tradition) = Done...gifts for Mom & Dad and family celebration, one for home :smiley:
    3) Beef noodle casserole for supper = Done...easy supper after evening service, from guilt-free cookbook, to make up for treats :smiley:
    4) Candlelight service with hubby = Feeling so blessed :smiley:
    5) Pack presents for travel = Done :smile:

Recap Christmas Day 12/25 - No logging for me :smiley:
    1) Choir sings 9:00 service :smiley:
    2) Family celebration at youngest brother's house <3:smiley:

JFT 12/26 - Since today's high temp will be below zero degrees & there's a wind chill advisory until W noon, hubby and I have decided to stay in and have relaxing day at home. Plan for Garden of Lights this evening is off, event canceled, just too cold.
    1) Drink > 12c water...yesterday really got dehydrated, but definitely enjoyed eggnog with rum and tasting multiple wines
    2) Too lazy to cook / leftovers today / log food again / net calories w/i 100 green
    3) Freeze cookies & treats gifted to us, so we don't eat them all this week

For some reason, MFP has my logging streak extended, although I didn't log anything yesterday, or post or check the community or messages. Maybe because I leave the app open on my phone all the time, MFP thought I was logged in? No clue.
  • bcTRAI
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    @joan6630 Question.... Will a new 2018 thread be starting or just lengthen this one?

Yes, I definitely want to continue doing this!! I have at least 20 pounds yet I want to get off. So here is my question --- should I start a NEW thread for the year 2018??? If I do, will you guys move over to that one???

I will definitely stick with the group regardless of new or existing thread. I agree that fresh starts feel good and having 2018 on the title might help attract newcomers.

In addition WHEN we're all where we want to be weight wise can't we continue? Maintenance support? :p
  • mytime6630
    Options
    In addition WHEN we're all where we want to be weight wise can't we continue? Maintenance support? :p

DEFINITELY!!!!! Maintenance is the hardest part!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    laurstroh wrote: »
    You all are awesome! Will there be a 2018 thread? I'd love to join. I need a support group!

YES!!! Please join us - love to see you again!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    JFT Wednesday
    1. Gym at 12:30 for strength class. Treadmill to 10k. Aim for 3-minute runs at 7 m/h.
    2. Prelog food. Eat only what's already been logged into MFP. Stay within calorie goal.
    3. Daily practice: Duolingo. Run lines. Play scales on the piano.
    4. Get in touch with B and see about making plans to get together.
    5. Grade late work from the end of the semester.
    6. Request unofficial transcript.
    7. Call Disney to add a person to a dining reservation.
    8. Put dishes away. Do a load of laundry. Put laundry away.
    9. Teeth flossed/rinsed/brushed; in bed by 10:00.

Scale goals
    Dec 1 weigh-in: 176.6
    Jan 1 goal: 169.6 - 7 lbs, should be ~1.5/week

Today: 181.6

YOWZA. So I think most of that is probably water weight, but it's definitely discouraging. The thing is, I've trimmed up a LOT, and I've got some definition in my arms and shoulders that I'm really enjoying. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but the thing is, I need to make sure that I don't let that become a distraction and start backsliding.

@cschmitz110515 - I think MFP marks you as 'logged in' even if you don't post anything. Like if I read my dash or surf the forums, I'm logged in. But also if you have the app open it'll count that as being logged in (because it thinks you're reading your dash). I think that's true even if it's running in the background.

@joan6630 - Yes I would love a new thread for 2018!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    @joan6630 I will absolutely follow you to a new thread. It will be my third JFT thread! I used to post on your original thread.

And I love that we will stay on here as motivation when we all hit our goals too. I've grown to look forward to hearing from each of you every day! :smile:
  • bcTRAI
    Options
    JFT Tuesday
    1. Water :|
    2. Daughter's for family Christmas :) lovely time
    3. Keep hands out of extras :| mostly
    4. Brush and floss :)
    5. Bed by 10:30 :)

JFT Wednesday
    1. Water