• fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Cheetos
    Chips
    40 cream puffs
    Tea
    Water

That is not a birthday party. It's what we call a money swindling ponzi scheme. A 75$ party and gifts valued at at least 500$ considering your gift alone was close to 100 bucks.

I have zero respect for people who throw parties expecting gifts and investing very little.

It was the cheapest party I've ever been to.
    Are you all in grad school?

Or is the hostess a person with a job and family??

That really is a sad party. How old is the hostess?

It was a family party. The hostess was turning 60. Has a husband and 2 daughters.

I bet they didn't even hire a dj to perform and probably made you park down the street and walk because there was no valet.

*kitten* old people

did they have plastic over the sofas? Were they wearing polyester suits?

Nope. But they did have people sit in the garage in the cold since they didn't have enough soace for 40 people.

This story is getting more elaborate by the minute, and frankly at this point I'm not sure I believe it was this extreme. If she had people sitting in a cold garage and if every one of her moves was so lame, such as putting the cake away after offering everyone only a small piece, etc, etc, then why would her rude question to you (please have some other food as well) have been the most noteworthy, postworthy thing? It was the only thing that you initially mentioned. And how does someone with such wretched social skills manage to get 40 people over to her birthday party?

Just saying.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    No one asked the important question here...where the cream puffs good or just the cheap ready whip kind?

I am guessing since they had to sit in the cold garage with out a dj, they were the cheap ones.

Wait!!! Without a dj? No music at this party either? Nah..I would not have lasted 10 minutes in there. As soon as I ate the last cream puff I'd been out!!
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    @PersianKitty94 They seem like not very nice people . Life is to short to be dealing with cream puff haters . You eat til your hearts content and fu£k the begrudgers .
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I would take my gift back, imply that it was very expensive, and demand the rest of the plate for it.

I got them two 50 dollar gift cards. After such incident, decided to take out one of the cards.

Haha I love it.
    I would have assumed they had an extra stash that they would replenish the depleting pile. Not your fault.

I had that happen to me once when I grabbed a few ice cubes (ok maybe 6 or 7 cause I like ice in my drink..lots of it). I mean really, if you are hosting a party, grab a few bags of ice! Or pre-warn us that this little pail is all you got.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Cheetos
    Chips
    40 cream puffs
    Tea
    Water

That is not a birthday party. It's what we call a money swindling ponzi scheme. A 75$ party and gifts valued at at least 500$ considering your gift alone was close to 100 bucks.

I have zero respect for people who throw parties expecting gifts and investing very little.

It was a family party. The hostess was turning 60. Has a husband and 2 daughters.

I bet they didn't even hire a dj to perform and probably made you park down the street and walk because there was no valet.

*kitten* old people

Nope. But they did have people sit in the garage in the cold since they didn't have enough soace for 40 people.
    This thread has been rampaged by comments which don't empathize with you.

Being asked to eat less at a party is very insulting and the trauma lasts a long time.

When I was 8, there was a big family party and my family is one with lots of cousins. This other cousin was 8 as well, our mothers are sisters. At a family party, we were eating and the other aunt (another of mom's sisters) and the hostess, she flatly told us she cannot give more of a certain pastry as there wasn't enough left and both of us were ashamed.

Hours later were were playing in the house and we ran into the kitchen and our other cousin (the hostess' son) and older boy was eating a bowl full of the same pastries our aunt refused to give us.

It left a mark and that is the first thing I remember of my aunt when I think of her today.

You didn't deserve it. You should actually have told the host to eff off. It's a sad party. They should just have gone to the Japanese buffet by themselves and not had any party at all.

It's not the first time I've experienced this from this family. They do stuff like this all the time. They come to our parties and eat lot. Plates of food. And at the end of the night, they'd tell my mom the food was terrible and disgusting. I feel that they just enjoy being rude.

If you went to the party knowing this...it is completely on you. Simple as that.

Cuz they're family. But that's done. I've told my mom to never invite them over ever again. I've said this for over a year and still it continues.
  • amandapleighse2
    amandapleighse2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i think it's very rude. Se invited you. She should have at least make sure there was enough food for everyone, or made a byocp rule hell.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Cheetos
    Chips
    40 cream puffs
    Tea
    Water

*kitten* old people

This story is getting more elaborate by the minute, and frankly at this point I'm not sure I believe it was this extreme. If she had people sitting in a cold garage and if every one of her moves was so lame, such as putting the cake away after offering everyone only a small piece, etc, etc, then why would her rude question to you (please have some other food as well) have been the most noteworthy, postworthy thing? It was the only thing that you initially mentioned. And how does someone with such wretched social skills manage to get 40 people over to her birthday party?

Just saying.

Hmm this makes sense. I don't even know 40 people

I think I know ten people and seven of them are my family and kids including me.

I've only got a family of five. But do I really even know them?

you don't know someone until you know how many cream puffs they can eat at a party

Very true . I heard stories of someone eating 100 cream puffs at a family get together . Maybe it's just a legend but stranger things have happened haha
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    @PersianKitty94
    Were they Indian? :p

Just asking to confirm my suspicions. For ethnic science.

Persians. I'm persian myself.
    Ok that makes me feel better a little bit ;)

But I have had a lot of this happen with my friends who are desi. Some of them take home big paychecks and throw the shittiest of parties. I have stopped hanging out with them. They message me and tell me how much I am missed.... if you are not putting any effort, I'm not gonna bother.

You need to stop inviting them to your events. Cut them loose.

See, you actually believe there are people out there like this. They actually do exist. You have to know them to know how they are.
  • PersianKitty94
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    No one asked the important question here...where the cream puffs good or just the cheap ready whip kind?

I am guessing since they had to sit in the cold garage with out a dj, they were the cheap ones.

Wait!!! Without a dj? No music at this party either? Nah..I would not have lasted 10 minutes in there. As soon as I ate the last cream puff I'd been out!!

There was music on the stero.