When you have 814 calories left and less than 2 hours left in your logging day...

Options

Replies

• SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    At any rate, I'm not convinced that the temporal placement of food relative someone's sleep cycle is important provided that they are able to adhere to a reasonable diet and get adequate sleep.

So; sleep is one thing, but if you read those papers you'll see that the contention is that it's activating the digestive gene late at night, which effectively blocks other genes from activating through the night, meaning that even though you got eight hours of sleep in, the actual benefit of that sleep to your body could be impacted by digesting large amounts of calories post 8PM.

There is more than enough evidence out there indicating increased risk of a ton of different ailments, and even in regards to weight loss, sure, it really doesn't matter what you do so long as you're in deficit, you'll lose weight, however sticking to a rigid diet structure when you're not feeling fully rested? Ask most nutritionists, it's at times of higher stress and/or lower volumes of sleep that people "fall off the wagon"
    Additionally, if you can't lose weight and you are obese we know really damn well that this increases the risk for negative health outcomes and so the priority should be weight loss under this condition.

This is precisely why I would absolutely recommend whichever meal timing maximizes adherence to a hypocaloric diet. Because successfully losing weight is overwhelmingly likely to improve the quality of life and reduce health risks in obese people and this is hardly disputable.

Actually, this is quite disputable.

The priority should be building pillars of health that will assist in the normalisation of your nutrients, your sleeping patterns, your blood levels and your weight. It just so happens that generally following a stricter diet, exercising and taking vitamins during that period tends to balance out most of the above, leading to better overall health.

There are some males that carry 30-35% bodyfat that would return blood work, nutrients, echocardiogram ratings and oxygen saturation levels that would indicate despite being obese, they're at much lower health risk than most 15-25% bodyfat males; with exception to the fact that the added weight will cause joint impact and also likely impact their sleeping patterns (sleep apnea, etcetera).

Likewise, there are endless cases of body builders (both those taking steroids and those not) who have body fat in a health range (15-25%) who have much higher prevalence of heart disease due to their diets ( excess protein, excess insulin levels, excess sugars)

I get the feeling this place has become a little too psycho about CICO personally.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    At any rate, I'm not convinced that the temporal placement of food relative someone's sleep cycle is important provided that they are able to adhere to a reasonable diet and get adequate sleep.

So; sleep is one thing, but if you read those papers you'll see that the contention is that it's activating the digestive gene late at night, which effectively blocks other genes from activating through the night, meaning that even though you got eight hours of sleep in, the actual benefit of that sleep to your body could be impacted by digesting large amounts of calories post 8PM.

There is more than enough evidence out there indicating increased risk of a ton of different ailments, and even in regards to weight loss, sure, it really doesn't matter what you do so long as you're in deficit, you'll lose weight, however sticking to a rigid diet structure when you're not feeling fully rested? Ask most nutritionists, it's at times of higher stress and/or lower volumes of sleep that people "fall off the wagon"
    Additionally, if you can't lose weight and you are obese we know really damn well that this increases the risk for negative health outcomes and so the priority should be weight loss under this condition.

This is precisely why I would absolutely recommend whichever meal timing maximizes adherence to a hypocaloric diet. Because successfully losing weight is overwhelmingly likely to improve the quality of life and reduce health risks in obese people and this is hardly disputable.

Actually, this is quite disputable.

The priority should be building pillars of health that will assist in the normalisation of your nutrients, your sleeping patterns, your blood levels and your weight. It just so happens that generally following a stricter diet, exercising and taking vitamins during that period tends to balance out most of the above, leading to better overall health.

There are some males that carry 30-35% bodyfat that would return blood work, nutrients, echocardiogram ratings and oxygen saturation levels that would indicate despite being obese, they're at much lower health risk than most 15-25% bodyfat males; with exception to the fact that the added weight will cause joint impact and also likely impact their sleeping patterns (sleep apnea, etcetera).

Likewise, there are endless cases of body builders (both those taking steroids and those not) who have body fat in a health range (15-25%) who have much higher prevalence of heart disease due to their diets ( excess protein, excess insulin levels, excess sugars)

I get the feeling this place has become a little too psycho about CICO personally.

Yes there healthy obese people and I'm not suggesting otherwise. I'm suggesting that obesity increases the risk for negative health outcomes most of the time and going from obese to not obese will very often improve health markers.

Pointing out the existence of obese people with good health markers (which do exist) and lean people with poor health markers (which also exist) does not at all invalidate the general statement that obesity often increases the risk for negative health outcomes and that typically weight loss improves health outcomes.

I don't think your counterexamples dispute that.

• SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Yes there healthy obese people and I'm not suggesting otherwise. I'm suggesting that obesity increases the risk for negative health outcomes most of the time and going from obese to not obese will very often improve health markers.

I don't disagree, but that's for the reasons I state above, generally obese people aren't paying attention to the nutrients in their body, nor are they exercising, nor are they following a balanced diet.

The usual one you hear is "Being obese puts you at a much higher risk of diabetes" but it isn't actually your fat percentage that does this, it's the fact that to generate that fat percentage you've likely been inhaling too much sugar, too much fat, not enough water and no exercise to help regulate your insulin.

With body fat, It's one of those correlation != causation
  • SymbolismNZ
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pointing out the existence of obese people with good health markers (which do exist) and lean people with poor health markers (which also exist) does not at all invalidate the general statement that obesity often increases the risk for negative health outcomes and that typically weight loss improves health outcomes.

I don't think your counterexamples dispute that.

The point it disputes is that weight loss itself isn't the primary factor people should focus on, if you're solely focused on weight loss (as I've been guilty of in the past), then you'll do everything in your power to cut calories and burn calories at the same time ( an extreme example, consuming 1000-1200 a day, while running 8-10KM most days )

Sure, you'll lose weight... you'll also faint frequently, you'll screw up your micronutrients to a level that will take six to twelve months to recover from, you'll place enormous strain on your heart, you'll severely screw your circulation system, you'll go into massive atrophy of any muscle group that doesn't have any exercise, and minor atrophy even in those that do.

What you should be focusing on is building those key pillars of health, i.e eating a diet that allows you to sustain your body, balancing your nutrient levels, building better oxygen saturation, getting enough sleep through the day, getting a decent amount of exercise, ensuring you remain sufficiently hydrated.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    @SymbolismNZ I finally got around to reading all of your thread-jacking arguing about meal timing apparently posts and would like to reiterate the facts relevant to my post about high calorie snack ideas. As mentioned earlier, the post was made at 4 PM. I was getting ideas for snacks to eat between 4 PM and 6 PM before I start my new tracking day at 6 PM. As this post is two days old I will fill you in on the details. I ate most of my remaining calories before 6 PM and concluded my 24 hour tracking period, then ate my dinner at 6 PM. How anything you have posted has anything to do with this I do not know.

The conversation brewed before you made that clarification; your original post didn't include the detail that you were talking about your tracking day (i.e 800 calories before 6PM ) and by the time that you did make that clarification, people had already begun the discussion around whether the time in which you ate food had any impact on your health.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why the assumption that because you took an unhealthy approach, that everyone else is too? If you spent time reading these boards you would see that while the vast majority talk about CICO as the immutable energy balance that drives weight loss, most here advocate a modest calorie deficit and a primarily nutrient dense diet. Saying CICO is all that matters for weight loss is not a directive to ignore nutrition. I'm not sure why you seem to think these things are mutually exclusive?

The fact remains that for countless people who come to this site, simply losing weight to get to a healthy BMI will have a dramatic impact on risk for obesity related diseases. And in the meantime, many of those people also find their way to better nutrition and physical fitness as well.

As per any assumption, it's based on the generalisation that many overweight people want the "Lose fat fast!" routine that they're promised in infomercials and websites, you know, what most of the diet industry bases its success around.

In this case, there was a long chain discussion around how eating just before bed didn't have any health impacts, when there is plenty of evidence suggesting it does - that's a good example of CICO trumping nutrition and health here.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I just want to say how grossed out I am by people who keep suggesting peanut butter by itself. I usually can't even stand it on a sandwich. lol. Yuck. I vote a giant bag of chips, pizza or a pint of ice cream for times like this.

Right? How does anyone eat straight peanut butter? If I go overboard with the PB on bread I feel as though I'll never be able to chew it, like I'm slowly drowning in peanut butter sandwich. I do need to have a pizza night very soon. I've had pizza every week since I've began tracking.

I would love to have a big spoonful of peanut butter every single day. But pizza? I try to eat it as seldom as possible. Just not a fan. I think I read once that only 6% of Americans dislike pizza.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just want to say how grossed out I am by people who keep suggesting peanut butter by itself. I usually can't even stand it on a sandwich. lol. Yuck. I vote a giant bag of chips, pizza or a pint of ice cream for times like this.

Right? How does anyone eat straight peanut butter? If I go overboard with the PB on bread I feel as though I'll never be able to chew it, like I'm slowly drowning in peanut butter sandwich.

I don't even like peanut butter on bread much, but I cannot see how people find a spoonful of it enjoyable. I don't really like the texture of nut butters at all.

I know this is heresy to most! ;-)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Yes! I thought I must be some kind of freak because I can't stand peanut butter! I'm trying to gain weight and people are always suggesting it as a way of bumping up calories. It's disgusting even in a sandwich and even more so by itself! Yuk
  • biglouie7504
    biglouie7504 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I ate all the Babybell cheeses in the house. What's next?

Eat heartier healthy foods called fillers like beef jerky, steak and salad,oatmeal,eggs,peanut butter,nuts those foods will keep you full for longer periods of time so you dont eat all your cheeses in one sitting:)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Right? How does anyone eat straight peanut butter? If I go overboard with the PB on bread I feel as though I'll never be able to chew it, like I'm slowly drowning in peanut butter sandwich. I do need to have a pizza night very soon. I've had pizza every week since I've began tracking.

Slowly, like it's my *kitten* (yes, I typed that) and I'm gonna own that sucker. I love peanut butter and I can't keep it in the house. I put the spoon in the jar and savor the experience. It's dirty, dirty magic.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I usually throw together a sandwich when I've got a lot of calories to make up for, but I'm also not that into sweet things, these days.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If it's a one off I would not force myself to eat more and enjoy the potential 0.2lbs of fat loss that you will glean from it.

If you were actually asking for food ideas to fill 800 calories then my vote is for ice cream.................