Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, does anyone here use any no-sugar sweetener, and if so what is your favorite? I'm trying to decide what kind I want to use to try some keto baking and I'm probably going to take a crack at stevia, but I wanted some other opinions if y'all have em!

I like Splenda.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, does anyone here use any no-sugar sweetener, and if so what is your favorite? I'm trying to decide what kind I want to use to try some keto baking and I'm probably going to take a crack at stevia, but I wanted some other opinions if y'all have em!

I really like erythritol. I don't notice any weird aftertaste and it has a glycemic index of ZERO. No effect on blood sugar whatsoever. It also doesn't cause me any weird intestinal discomfort. I buy bags of it on Amazon (Swerve is a common brand, or you can just buy bags of Erythritol) and use it for baking. It comes in granulated and powdered - powdered is perfect for baking low-carb desserts.
  • Illy_Mooncat
    Illy_Mooncat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @toxikon I've heard about erythrythol too. What's the price like on Amazon?
  • toxikon
    Options
    @toxikon I've heard about erythrythol too. What's the price like on Amazon?

I've bought this one a few times: http://a.co/iO4qtxQ
    $10 for a pound. It's granular though.

I bake maybe once a week so it usually lasts quite a while for me.

It looks like Swerve Confectioners is around $10 for 12oz, so a little pricier.
  • Illy_Mooncat
    Illy_Mooncat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

Hmmm thank you! I might give it a try. I just see so many cool recipes and they have to have a sweetener!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of recipe you're going to use the sweetener in, because they act in different ways and sometimes you need one that acts like real sugar... I read an article about it a while back but don't recall where it was now! I'm sure you could Google it, though. :) (Sorry, not much help, I know! But I just wanted to mention that.)
  • toxikon
    edited June 2017
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

Hmmm thank you! I might give it a try. I just see so many cool recipes and they have to have a sweetener!

There's a great low-carb recipe website called www.ibreatheimhungry.com. She has amazing dessert recipes that mainly use erythritol.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Quick product review - the Ben and Jerry's Americone Dream Slice is very good. The chocolate coating is quality and the ice cream is of course excellent. http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/ice-cream-novelties
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I finally gave in and added Halo Top to my grocery order, Peanut Butter Cup and Salted Caramel. We'll see... :p

Oh, and Oat of this Swirled Ben and Jerry's. I loved their Oatmeal Cookie. I'm hoping this will be close!
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I finally gave in and added Halo Top to my grocery order, Peanut Butter Cup and Salted Caramel. We'll see... :p

Oh, and Oat of this Swirled Ben and Jerry's. I loved their Oatmeal Cookie. I'm hoping this will be close!

I decided last week to give Halo Top another try after seeing a ton of flavors in the grocery store that weren't there before. The two I picked up? Peanut Butter Cup and Salted Caramel. :D I definitely enjoyed the PB Cup. The salted caramel is okay. Better than the other flavors I had tried but still not quite as satisfying as real ice cream for me.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

I decided last week to give Halo Top another try after seeing a ton of flavors in the grocery store that weren't there before. The two I picked up? Peanut Butter Cup and Salted Caramel. :D I definitely enjoyed the PB Cup. The salted caramel is okay. Better than the other flavors I had tried but still not quite as satisfying as real ice cream for me.

This is my concern. I <3 ice cream.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I tried Halo Top mint chip first and HATED it! The texture was awful and it tasted horribly fake to me. When my local Wal-Mart started carrying Halo Top, I decided to give it another try and bought salted caramel. To my surprise, it was really good! The texture was much better and I liked the flavor. I don't know if my first pint was just a bad batch, or mishandled somewhere along the way, or if mint chip is just gross to me (I haven't convinced myself to try it again), but I'm really glad I gave Halo Top another shot!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I tried Halo Top mint chip first and HATED it! The texture was awful and it tasted horribly fake to me. When my local Wal-Mart started carrying Halo Top, I decided to give it another try and bought salted caramel. To my surprise, it was really good! The texture was much better and I liked the flavor. I don't know if my first pint was just a bad batch, or mishandled somewhere along the way, or if mint chip is just gross to me (I haven't convinced myself to try it again), but I'm really glad I gave Halo Top another shot!

I don't like mint choc chip ice cream normally, so I passed on that HT flavor. Extra glad I did now!
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It tastes better than regular ice cream to me. Regular ice cream always tasted too sweet for me.
    So far I had chocolate, birthday cake, salted caramel and chocolate chip cookie dough. All winners.
    Thankfully my local rinky dink Key Food ethnic supermarket sells them for 3 bucks a pint. Regular price.

Gah! It was $4.68 for me, I think. I'm definitely hiding it from the hubby and kid.

B&J's was on sale for $3.48 a pint, though. Maybe I should have just gone all B&J's! :p
  • pinuplove
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I don't like mint choc chip ice cream normally, so I passed on that HT flavor. Extra glad I did now!

See I do like mint chocolate chip, which I thought maybe was my problem - accept no substitutes! I've seen other people here list that flavor as their top one or two choice, so obviously not everyone finds it yucky.

$3/pint is a killer price!! I wish I could find it for that here.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It tastes better than regular ice cream to me. Regular ice cream always tasted too sweet for me.
    So far I had chocolate, birthday cake, salted caramel and chocolate chip cookie dough. All winners.
    Thankfully my local rinky dink Key Food ethnic supermarket sells them for 3 bucks a pint. Regular price.

Gah! It was $4.68 for me, I think. I'm definitely hiding it from the hubby and kid.

B&J's was on sale for $3.48 a pint, though. Maybe I should have just gone all B&J's! :p

Some Costcos(not mine :grumble: ) have them for $11 for 4.
    Regular ice cream is always on sale and cheap around here. I have a bunch of pints of regular ice cream I'm just not gonna eat and prolly give to the kids.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Try Enlightened if you guys see it! Its even better. I like Halo Top but I LOVE Enlightened!
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Try Enlightened if you guys see it! Its even better. I like Halo Top but I LOVE Enlightened!

I keep looking for it but my local store only stocks the bars :disappointed: Maybe I'll give them a try!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love the mint chip halo top. It's still my go-to. I loathe the cookies and cream. Tastes like chemicals. I also like the PB and salted caramel.