Options
14567810»

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Fun Fact: burying a good point in a pile of condescension will mute the point pretty quickly.

TIL: If I chose to spend some discretionary money on fitness equipment last year, but have a lower income this year, I'm a sheep.

First point - spot on. I think someone else mentioned "know your audience" is a cricitical point as well. The people responding here are largely very successful, motivated people who fully understand it is "eat less and move more" that is responsible for our success, not gym clothes or gadgets. But the animosity and condescension toward people who do like spending some of their own money on things like new clothes or new equipment is wholly unwarranted and frankly surprising .

This is pretty much spot on.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!
    @K3rB3ar89 oh no you didn't....I stopped reading right here do not go after mah spaghetti girl ...we will fight! >:)

To the OPs point, just about everything that's been named in this thread that are nice to haves/must haves (some I'm in agreement with) are aids to get fit.

Although health markers will almost certainly improve with weight loss alone, you don't have to get fit to lose weight. I personally think they go nicely together, but if I "Only" focused on weight loss without the fitness I would not need the shoes/gym memberships/fitbits/thing to hold the girls up ( That would look funny on my hairy self) and all the other niceties that make getting fit easier.

She specifically cited the "diet industry" not the fitness industry.

I'm done. Come at me. :p

Before I lost weight, I spent a lot of money on nail polish and all things manicure related.

Then my nails went to crap because psoriasis got to them and my doctor told me I couldn't wear nail polish any more.

The psoriatic arthritis was also why I started exercising. It was also why I needed really good shoes, because my joints are terrible. Because my joints are terrible, I decided I needed to lose weight.

When the weather got cold and the cold didn't play nicely with my joints, I joined a gym. They told me about MFP. I read the forums, and heard of the wonders of a food scale. I already thought I was eating a proper number of calories and the scale wasn't moving, so I got a food scale.

Good. Investment.

Can you see where this is going?
    I do. I have read an awful lot of your posts since being here, and am aware of some of the challenges you've overcome, which makes me less inclined to "argue" with you - not because of your challenges, but because of how you conduct yourself in spite of them - I have immense respect for you. With that said, I'll continue below.
    None of this was me being "blinded" by the fitness industry, and this is where the OP is misguided (at best) in her thinking. None of us are automatons being led by the nose unwittingly in our endeavors to become better versions of ourselves here.
    I understand this. I've stated many times myself the value of reading, learning, examining and exploring to find out what works in general as well as for each individual. But the key phrase in what I just quoted is "Fitness industry".

The OP very specifically stated "The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed"

Now, isn't this forum loaded to the gills with threads and posts about garbage the Diet industry is foisting on the public? I may be wrong, and the OP will have to clear this up if I am, but she posted about "weight loss" not "fitness" The two are not synonymous with each other, in as much as they are certainly in bed with each other.

In light of that and looking strictly at the idea, and not the OP, would you still say we cannot lose weight without the toys?

Dunno - maybe I'm the one who's confused here lol.
    We sign up here, we find out about new things, we consider, we evaluate, we invest. In ourselves.

My Fitbit, my food scale, my running shoes, my treadmill, my weight bench, my adjustable dumbbells? They are investments in my commitment to healthy habits.

I made thoughtful, deliberate choices regarding them all, and researched each purchase.
    There's no dispute from me here. I've strived to do the same, and do enjoy and use my toys. :)

I think the original message is Getting lost in the butthurt outrage so many people seem to feel when their choices are critisized. My message is "you don't need all the gadgets and supplements to lose weight, and buying them will not make you lose weight, burning more calories than you consume will". Lots of fat people with closets full of equipment and gadgets they never use. Just look at Craigslist. In 2 years you'll be able to get a fit bit at the thrift store or garage sale for 10 bucks.

I think the message might be a little 'lost' because you're largely preaching to the choir. A vast number of people here know that the Fitbit won't make you skinny and that you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. So rather than it being a revelation or an education, a lot of people are going "yeah... and?" and then, because they are succeeding/successful/educated/all of the above are pointing out how the gadgets CAN be helpful, just not in a vacuum.

I think it's a picking your audience problem more than anything.

[proud FitBit owner who just got a gym membership, is 80lbs down and going for a black belt this year]

Black belt in what discipline?

Taekwondo. It's what got me started on this whole shebang 2 years ago. I started it and wanted to be smaller, faster and healthier for it, with more stamina.

You can get a black belt in 2 years in TKD?

hmmm...my son is going for his blue this spring...2 years into BJJ...
    Karate is a 10 year endeavour as well...interesting.

BJJ is weird that way. Reaaaallllly depends on the teacher and school. Getting a blue belt from John Danahar is much different than small town MC Dojo. Also, some people are just phenoms and progress quickly. In our club the "average" to get to blue is 4 years. That's steady 3-4 classes a week attendance. But...a blue belt from our club can walk into the best BJJ gyms in the world and hold pace with the blues there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!
    @K3rB3ar89 oh no you didn't....I stopped reading right here do not go after mah spaghetti girl ...we will fight! >:)

To the OPs point, just about everything that's been named in this thread that are nice to haves/must haves (some I'm in agreement with) are aids to get fit.

Although health markers will almost certainly improve with weight loss alone, you don't have to get fit to lose weight. I personally think they go nicely together, but if I "Only" focused on weight loss without the fitness I would not need the shoes/gym memberships/fitbits/thing to hold the girls up ( That would look funny on my hairy self) and all the other niceties that make getting fit easier.

Before I lost weight, I spent a lot of money on nail polish and all things manicure related.

Then my nails went to crap because psoriasis got to them and my doctor told me I couldn't wear nail polish any more.

The psoriatic arthritis was also why I started exercising. It was also why I needed really good shoes, because my joints are terrible. Because my joints are terrible, I decided I needed to lose weight.

When the weather got cold and the cold didn't play nicely with my joints, I joined a gym. They told me about MFP. I read the forums, and heard of the wonders of a food scale. I already thought I was eating a proper number of calories and the scale wasn't moving, so I got a food scale.

Good. Investment.

I do. I have read an awful lot of your posts since being here, and am aware of some of the challenges you've overcome, which makes me less inclined to "argue" with you - not because of your challenges, but because of how you conduct yourself in spite of them - I have immense respect for you. With that said, I'll continue below.
    None of this was me being "blinded" by the fitness industry, and this is where the OP is misguided (at best) in her thinking. None of us are automatons being led by the nose unwittingly in our endeavors to become better versions of ourselves here.
    I understand this. I've stated many times myself the value of reading, learning, examining and exploring to find out what works in general as well as for each individual. But the key phrase in what I just quoted is "Fitness industry".

The OP very specifically stated "The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed"

Now, isn't this forum loaded to the gills with threads and posts about garbage the Diet industry is foisting on the public? I may be wrong, and the OP will have to clear this up if I am, but she posted about "weight loss" not "fitness" The two are not synonymous with each other, in as much as they are certainly in bed with each other.

In light of that and looking strictly at the idea, and not the OP, would you still say we cannot lose weight without the toys?

We sign up here, we find out about new things, we consider, we evaluate, we invest. In ourselves.

My Fitbit, my food scale, my running shoes, my treadmill, my weight bench, my adjustable dumbbells? They are investments in my commitment to healthy habits.

I made thoughtful, deliberate choices regarding them all, and researched each purchase.
    There's no dispute from me here. I've strived to do the same, and do enjoy and use my toys. :)

I think the original message is Getting lost in the butthurt outrage so many people seem to feel when their choices are critisized. My message is "you don't need all the gadgets and supplements to lose weight, and buying them will not make you lose weight, burning more calories than you consume will". Lots of fat people with closets full of equipment and gadgets they never use. Just look at Craigslist. In 2 years you'll be able to get a fit bit at the thrift store or garage sale for 10 bucks.

I think the message might be a little 'lost' because you're largely preaching to the choir. A vast number of people here know that the Fitbit won't make you skinny and that you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. So rather than it being a revelation or an education, a lot of people are going "yeah... and?" and then, because they are succeeding/successful/educated/all of the above are pointing out how the gadgets CAN be helpful, just not in a vacuum.

[proud FitBit owner who just got a gym membership, is 80lbs down and going for a black belt this year]

Taekwondo. It's what got me started on this whole shebang 2 years ago. I started it and wanted to be smaller, faster and healthier for it, with more stamina.

BJJ is weird that way. Reaaaallllly depends on the teacher and school. Getting a blue belt from John Danahar is much different than small town MC Dojo. Also, some people are just phenoms and progress quickly. In our club the "average" to get to blue is 4 years. That's steady 3-4 classes a week attendance. But...a blue belt from our club can walk into the best BJJ gyms in the world and hold pace with the blues there.

Yah Joe Moreno I think is the one who does the belt test here...small town gym tho...but he goes 3-5x a week.

He as a white belt did a comp last summer came in 4th (no gi) and does well against other blue and purple belts from other gyms...I will be interested to see how this goes for him...

BTW nice hand wrap thing...lol...see we all buy stuff that makes life easier for our chosen goals.

But yes we all agree "diet industry" is full of crap.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Good. Investment.

Yah Joe Moreno I think is the one who does the belt test here...small town gym tho...but he goes 3-5x a week.

He as a white belt did a comp last summer came in 4th (no gi) and does well against other blue and purple belts from other gyms...I will be interested to see how this goes for him...

BTW nice hand wrap thing...lol...see we all buy stuff that makes life easier for our chosen goals.

But yes we all agree "diet industry" is full of crap.

No kidding! It sure is. :)