Fun fact...

Options

Replies

• showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Fun fact: When hippos are upset, their sweat turns red.

Getting out of here with your controversial hear say!!!
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have mixed emotions about this. The thing that started my weight loss was searching for elliptical machines last January, only to discover if I want one that will hold more than 250 lbs, I would need at least $500 more.

I'm broke af and I enjoyed the OP's post :)
    I was really happy when I found MFP and then discovering that it really is free instead of another money trap made me ecstatic.

I did spend $20 on a stability ball, $11 on a food scale, and spent $5 on weights I found at a yard sale, but it's good to know other people are successful without dropping lots of $$$
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Not one person has ever lost weight because they bought a fit bit, expensive workout clothes or trendy exercise equipment. If you need to lose weight, the only thing that works is to eat less and move more. The toys and expensive outfits..unnecessary. I'm sure this may be obvious to most..but it seems a reminder is in order. Weight loss does t have to cost you any money. Don't be a sheep. The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed. Nope. Move your *kitten* and eat less. That is all you need.

Unnecessary? Yes. But my money my choices.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP if you had focused your original post on supplements or fad diets and stated that these things were unnecessary for weight loss, and that the simple solution of eat less, move more is what more people should be focusing on rather than spending money chasing a quick fix peddles to them by the billion dollar weight loss industry... you would have gotten totally different responses.

Rather, you chose examples of tools and apparel which, while not necessary, are things that countless people do use with great success, even as basic motivation to do just what you said: eat less and move more. Then you doubled down on your derogatory condescending opinions by lambasting a young obese individual for whom it seems you have at least some health care association with which makes it even more offensive, if not an ethical violation. How many people just like the man you are so disgusted by, do you think started out the same way, found one little spark that they nurtured and fed until it grew into a great fiery passion for health and nutrition and self sustaining success? We see stories like this all the time, where one little thing motivates someone to change their life, lose weight once and for all, and then go on to try to motivate others and help them succeed.

Even your story about your own mother, you don't think there was an aha moment for her? It was a different time and it may not have been a FitBit but it might have been a Jane Fonda video or a special dress she wanted to wear, or maybe she just wanted to set a positive, inspiring example for her daughter. If in fact that was the case, it's a shame that didn't get passed down.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP if you had focused your original post on supplements or fad diets and stated that these things were unnecessary for weight loss, and that the simple solution of eat less, move more is what more people should be focusing on rather than spending money chasing a quick fix peddles to them by the billion dollar weight loss industry... you would have gotten totally different responses.

Rather, you chose examples of tools and apparel which, while not necessary, are things that countless people do use with great success, even as basic motivation to do just what you said: eat less and move more. Then you doubled down on your derogatory condescending opinions by lambasting a young obese individual for whom it seems you have at least some health care association with which makes it even more offensive, if not an ethical violation. How many people just like the man you are so disgusted by, do you think started out the same way, found one little spark that they nurtured and fed until it grew into a great fiery passion for health and nutrition and self sustaining success? We see stories like this all the time, where one little thing motivates someone to change their life, lose weight once and for all, and then go on to try to motivate others and help them succeed.

Even your story about your own mother, you don't think there was an aha moment for her? It was a different time and it may not have been a FitBit but it might have been a Jane Fonda video or a special dress she wanted to wear, or maybe she just wanted to set a positive, inspiring example for her daughter. If in fact that was the case, it's a shame that didn't get passed down.

I am not 100 percent getting some of this animosity from many (not just you). A good part of the initial post went right along with most many here believe. No, you don't have to completely change your diet to lose weight. You don't need a special grocery list; just eat less. No, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. No, you don't need a Fitbit or a gym. Isn't this what OP is saying?

I think the "don't be a sheep" comment did not go over well, and I understand that. But I don't understand the reversal on some of the key issues here.

ETA:. I also know things went downhill after the initial post. That often happens. I'm surprised by the reaction to the first post.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Fun Fact:

A lot of people buy Fitbits to track activity they're already getting and give them data because they're geeky that way.

OP may not know this.

I love being a geek!
  • kenneth_echo
    kenneth_echo Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Looking at the science side of it all, she is absolutely right. Calories in less then calories burnt your guaranteed to loose weight. You don't need anything she listed to do so and the industry is defitinly designed to make you think you need trash to succeed. It's funny because your like I totally need nice clothes to work out in the gym with my fit bit on after drinking a pre workout and getting ready for my post workout so I can go home and pop some other supplements... You could get a better workout naked in your backyard hammering a tire or throwing a rock.... It's all about motivation and if your motivation is to look good in the spandex cloths you buy right on. If a fit bit helps you stay on track cool. But the girl defitinly hit the nail on the head stating you don't need the extras... Although they can help create motivation for you which is the important part.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    Ugh dont even start! It was more a finger of speech then literal.. yall are too serious! Lol..

This typo made me laugh way harder than it should have! :p

This is the only finger of speech that's universally recognized:
    bsewpzsx4xkm.png

o:)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Fun Fact:

A lot of people buy Fitbits to track activity they're already getting and give them data because they're geeky that way.

OP may not know this.

I love being a geek!

I love being a fit geek! :)
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Fun Fact: burying a good point in a pile of condescension will mute the point pretty quickly.

TIL: If I chose to spend some discretionary money on fitness equipment last year, but have a lower income this year, I'm a sheep.

First point - spot on. I think someone else mentioned "know your audience" is a cricitical point as well. The people responding here are largely very successful, motivated people who fully understand it is "eat less and move more" that is responsible for our success, not gym clothes or gadgets. But the animosity and condescension toward people who do like spending some of their own money on things like new clothes or new equipment is wholly unwarranted and frankly surprising .
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I am not 100 percent getting some of this animosity from many (not just you). A good part of the initial post went right along with most many here believe. No, you don't have to completely change your diet to lose weight. You don't need a special grocery list; just eat less. No, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. No, you don't need a Fitbit or a gym. Isn't this what OP is saying?

I think the "don't be a sheep" comment did not go over well, and I understand that. But I don't understand the reversal on some of the key issues here.

ETA:. I also know things went downhill after the initial post. That often happens. I'm surprised by the reaction to the first post.

That was exactly my point. If the initial post had been focused more on the woo, bro science, or supplement angle the responses would have been very different, there would have been a lot of agreement. I think the particular focus on activity trackers, something that many of us do use and have found to be helpful tools for motivation, is what initially caused some to bristle. Then the derogatory comments calling people "sheep" is what put the initial post over the edge. From there it turned quite negative when the discussion turned toward harsh specific examples of morbidly obese individuals who play with their FitBit rather than just getting up and moving... and then later insulting posters who have responded by calling people special snowflakes, which is a strange insult and seems out of context.

exactly...it wasn't until about page 4 that she got to the supplements...

a lot of us here agree you don't need anything to lose weight just less food...you don't even have to move more...but it helps.

we are know and agree the "diet" industry is a big ole pile of crap....
    The fitness industry eh....gyms and fitness equipment when bought and used help aid in weight loss a lot of the time but mostly in getting fit and healthy.

all good stuff...

OP needed to know her audience better and not be a right fighter...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!
    @K3rB3ar89 oh no you didn't....I stopped reading right here do not go after mah spaghetti girl ...we will fight! >:)

To the OPs point, just about everything that's been named in this thread that are nice to haves/must haves (some I'm in agreement with) are aids to get fit.

Although health markers will almost certainly improve with weight loss alone, you don't have to get fit to lose weight. I personally think they go nicely together, but if I "Only" focused on weight loss without the fitness I would not need the shoes/gym memberships/fitbits/thing to hold the girls up ( That would look funny on my hairy self) and all the other niceties that make getting fit easier.

She specifically cited the "diet industry" not the fitness industry.

I'm done. Come at me. :p

Before I lost weight, I spent a lot of money on nail polish and all things manicure related.

Then my nails went to crap because psoriasis got to them and my doctor told me I couldn't wear nail polish any more.

The psoriatic arthritis was also why I started exercising. It was also why I needed really good shoes, because my joints are terrible. Because my joints are terrible, I decided I needed to lose weight.

When the weather got cold and the cold didn't play nicely with my joints, I joined a gym. They told me about MFP. I read the forums, and heard of the wonders of a food scale. I already thought I was eating a proper number of calories and the scale wasn't moving, so I got a food scale.

Good. Investment.

Can you see where this is going?
    I do. I have read an awful lot of your posts since being here, and am aware of some of the challenges you've overcome, which makes me less inclined to "argue" with you - not because of your challenges, but because of how you conduct yourself in spite of them - I have immense respect for you. With that said, I'll continue below.
    None of this was me being "blinded" by the fitness industry, and this is where the OP is misguided (at best) in her thinking. None of us are automatons being led by the nose unwittingly in our endeavors to become better versions of ourselves here.
    I understand this. I've stated many times myself the value of reading, learning, examining and exploring to find out what works in general as well as for each individual. But the key phrase in what I just quoted is "Fitness industry".

The OP very specifically stated "The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed"

Now, isn't this forum loaded to the gills with threads and posts about garbage the Diet industry is foisting on the public? I may be wrong, and the OP will have to clear this up if I am, but she posted about "weight loss" not "fitness" The two are not synonymous with each other, in as much as they are certainly in bed with each other.

In light of that and looking strictly at the idea, and not the OP, would you still say we cannot lose weight without the toys?

Dunno - maybe I'm the one who's confused here lol.
    We sign up here, we find out about new things, we consider, we evaluate, we invest. In ourselves.

My Fitbit, my food scale, my running shoes, my treadmill, my weight bench, my adjustable dumbbells? They are investments in my commitment to healthy habits.

I made thoughtful, deliberate choices regarding them all, and researched each purchase.
    There's no dispute from me here. I've strived to do the same, and do enjoy and use my toys. :)

I think the original message is Getting lost in the butthurt outrage so many people seem to feel when their choices are critisized. My message is "you don't need all the gadgets and supplements to lose weight, and buying them will not make you lose weight, burning more calories than you consume will". Lots of fat people with closets full of equipment and gadgets they never use. Just look at Craigslist. In 2 years you'll be able to get a fit bit at the thrift store or garage sale for 10 bucks.

I think the message might be a little 'lost' because you're largely preaching to the choir. A vast number of people here know that the Fitbit won't make you skinny and that you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. So rather than it being a revelation or an education, a lot of people are going "yeah... and?" and then, because they are succeeding/successful/educated/all of the above are pointing out how the gadgets CAN be helpful, just not in a vacuum.

I think it's a picking your audience problem more than anything.

[proud FitBit owner who just got a gym membership, is 80lbs down and going for a black belt this year]

Black belt in what discipline?

Taekwondo. It's what got me started on this whole shebang 2 years ago. I started it and wanted to be smaller, faster and healthier for it, with more stamina.

You can get a black belt in 2 years in TKD?

hmmm...my son is going for his blue this spring...2 years into BJJ...
    Karate is a 10 year endeavour as well...interesting.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow love a good thread, but the OP is true, CI/CO is what matters, but toy are fantastic way to keep me motivated. My fitbit, scales, mfp, spreadsheets, myvirtualmission, forums, all keep my interest and hopefully keep me going at this long enough for good habbits to form and become second nature...

Oops got to go, my fitbit is telling me I need to move around more
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    hookandy wrote: »
    Wow love a good thread, but the OP is true, CI/CO is what matters, but toy are fantastic way to keep me motivated. My fitbit, scales, mfp, spreadsheets, myvirtualmission, forums, all keep my interest and hopefully keep me going at this long enough for good habbits to form and become second nature...

The OP didn't say CI/CO is what matters. She said we must eat less and move more to lose weight.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    hookandy wrote: »

Most of the people here whole heartedly agree with that.