No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to balance the food you can eat with your calorie goal. A couple of steaks, veggies, and butter can put most people over their calorie limit for the day. Then you stand on the scale wondering what happened. Unless you are highly diabetic...sounds like you may want to get a second opinion. Good luck on your journey!
  • Sandtigress
    Sandtigress Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sugar didn't make you gain weight...EXCESS CALORIES DID!

Well yeah, obviously! Overeating sugar ;) Bash fat all you want, but I can tell you that I have never sat with a tub of butter, unable to put the utensil down because I just HAD to have another bite. Substitute butter with ice cream however, and you'll see where my weight problems come from.

If you re-read my post, I had nothing bad to say about restricting all calories and keeping sugar in your diet. It is (not-so-simple) physics of energy in, energy out (not-so-simple due to the variables that can change the rate (metabolism) of the individual's energy expenditure, but simple due to the easy to understand concept of what goes in, must come out) This was just my viewpoint on a type of diet that a lot of people seem misinformed about. I don't think many people just jump on the ketogenic diet without doing some research first. And the research predominantly states that it's hella good for my purposes.

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Nikspad wrote: »
    Are you following a Ketogenic diet ?

even on keto you get some carbs and you can use a sugar substitute like stevia
  • rpalmisano
    rpalmisano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is called L diet. Careful, it cannot be done for long periods as it damages your system!! Wake up people!!! A little carb makes your body organs function properly.
  • Sandtigress
    Sandtigress Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yup. It looks like we are in complete agreement, mr/mrs/ms LifeLongFoodLvr :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Bacon, always go with bacon

I have yet to find a sugar free bacon, maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you eat all the beef and pork you want I would think you would gain weight and your cholesterol would increase. You should talk to a dietician for dietary advice of this nature. MDs don't specialize in diets and it sounds like this doctor is giving general guidelines but if you eat the way you describe you can easily gain weight and have other health issues. If you eat to much of anything you will have negative side effects. There is nothing wrong with low carb if it's done correctly. Good luck

As a rule, carnivorous diets do not tend to lead to weight gain and high cholesterol. In most cases it is the opposite.

Of course if you eat too much food you will gain weight regardless.

I am not sure I would suggest that is a rule. I think it's a bit skewed since the people you are following that do it, are also into fitness.

Its like saying as a rule, plant-based are healthier people. But it's also correlated to the fact the many are paying attention to nutrition more and exercising more.
  • Jackie1002
    Jackie1002 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you heard of the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan? Research this! It is amazing!
    You eat healthy fats, healthy carbs, but you eat them separately. Also use stevia in place of sugar. I have lost 40# on it so far, and have 30# left to go. Check it out! It really works!! My husband is a diabetic and he has lost weight as well, and his blood sugars have levelled out, and we both have more energy and feel great!
    The first fat to you lose is belly fat!! Once you change how you eat with this plan, you lose the "wheat" belly. Check it out!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well yeah, obviously! Overeating sugar ;) Bash fat all you want, but I can tell you that I have never sat with a tub of butter, unable to put the utensil down because I just HAD to have another bite. Substitute butter with ice cream however, and you'll see where my weight problems come from.

If you re-read my post, I had nothing bad to say about restricting all calories and keeping sugar in your diet. It is (not-so-simple) physics of energy in, energy out (not-so-simple due to the variables that can change the rate (metabolism) of the individual's energy expenditure, but simple due to the easy to understand concept of what goes in, must come out) This was just my viewpoint on a type of diet that a lot of people seem misinformed about. I don't think many people just jump on the ketogenic diet without doing some research first. And the research predominantly states that it's hella good for my purposes.

I used to eat blocks of cheese. Hell, I still could. I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some good cheese.
  • Dia_DoesThis
    Dia_DoesThis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Add me I'm active on the app
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Wow some more info! Thank you. I know a lot of people want to say it's crazy and I thought so to in the beginning. I am not happy about no diet pop or crystal light but I promise you I have diet cream soda in my fridge 1 can a week is what I am allowing myself. If I can go longer I will and it's better than a can everyday.

Psulemon- leg cramps! I've noticed this the last couple of days and I truely thank you for that idea. I will seriously look into that weather it's a supplement or something more I eat to add to that.

Marm1962- no I have not found sugar free bacon and I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high. He said not to worry about the sugar because it's a natural sugar. So I try to allow little things. If it's really small in sugar from something natural I let it go as well with the carbs. If it's natural and not out of a box I let it go. As long as it's not high in carbs I do try to keep it low. Otherwise I would go crazy trying to figure out what I could eat.

Jackie1002- I will look up trim healthy mama eating plan. I'm always looking for something to read. Maybe it will have great tips to help me.

As any diet you have to plan and do what you can handle. It's always going to be a change. Last time I went on a diet I did the mfp way by calorie deficit. It worked well and I don't disagree with the deficit. I'm not over here eating pounds of bacon and expecting to loose weight. I take a package of bacon, cut it in half and cook then have 2 eggs for breakfast. Lunch could be a chicken salad made from home. Last nights dinner was taco salad made from home. I'm really looking for ideas on snacks and other recipes because I know I will get bored with what I know how to make. Someone suggested a piece of ham, light mayo, pickle and wrap it up and snack. Sounds good to me. So I do appreciate the help. I understand people don't like the diet choice I'm on. That's ok but please don't message me that my doctor is stupid and so am I. If you do that is just rude. Thanks again for the help even discussing the cramps helps for ideas. If I need to supplement then I need to look into it. All things I did not know
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Wow some more info! Thank you. I know a lot of people want to say it's crazy and I thought so to in the beginning. I am not happy about no diet pop or crystal light but I promise you I have diet cream soda in my fridge 1 can a week is what I am allowing myself. If I can go longer I will and it's better than a can everyday.

Psulemon- leg cramps! I've noticed this the last couple of days and I truely thank you for that idea. I will seriously look into that weather it's a supplement or something more I eat to add to that.

Marm1962- no I have not found sugar free bacon and I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high. He said not to worry about the sugar because it's a natural sugar. So I try to allow little things. If it's really small in sugar from something natural I let it go as well with the carbs. If it's natural and not out of a box I let it go. As long as it's not high in carbs I do try to keep it low. Otherwise I would go crazy trying to figure out what I could eat.

Jackie1002- I will look up trim healthy mama eating plan. I'm always looking for something to read. Maybe it will have great tips to help me.

As any diet you have to plan and do what you can handle. It's always going to be a change. Last time I went on a diet I did the mfp way by calorie deficit. It worked well and I don't disagree with the deficit. I'm not over here eating pounds of bacon and expecting to loose weight. I take a package of bacon, cut it in half and cook then have 2 eggs for breakfast. Lunch could be a chicken salad made from home. Last nights dinner was taco salad made from home. I'm really looking for ideas on snacks and other recipes because I know I will get bored with what I know how to make. Someone suggested a piece of ham, light mayo, pickle and wrap it up and snack. Sounds good to me. So I do appreciate the help. I understand people don't like the diet choice I'm on. That's ok but please don't message me that my doctor is stupid and so am I. If you do that is just rude. Thanks again for the help even discussing the cramps helps for ideas. If I need to supplement then I need to look into it. All things I did not know

Are you tracking calories? If so, are you also tracking sodium? You can increase salt intake first, to see if that improves the leg cramping; you can also eat a lot of dark leafy greens. If those don't work, then you might need supplementation.

Also, there is nothing wrong with diet soda. It will have no impact on your weight loss or health. In fact, if you enjoy it, you can keep it in your diet as it can help improve dietary compliance.

Also, I would like to add, if you are doing low carb, you want high fat and moderate protein (~.6-.8g per lb of weight - lower end is fine if you are overweight/obese and will want more as you approach a leaner state).

Also, if people are sending you private messages, please let us know. The admin's can address that nonsense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jeanieneni wrote: »
    Hi Microwoman, You are now on a ketogenic diet. Congratulations! Have a look at diet doctor.com for guidance and amazing recipes. Care MUST be taken on a low-carb diet to eat sufficient fats (for energy), and sufficient sodium (salt). Very low carb levels mean we flush a lot of excess fluids out of our system, thereby losing sodium. With insufficient sodium in the blood, we die. It's THAT important. Once you get a handle on this, you will love it. It's DELICIOUS. You CAN eat cream and butter, and olive oil. Yoghurt and cheese are fine, since the cultures used in making these products have already dealt with any carbs, leaving none for you! And BTW, above-ground vegetables have little carbs, and should be okay for you to eat.
    I wish you well, but DO THE RESEARCH for your health's sake. Jeanieneni

Ketogentic diets incorporate vegetables, most of the time.
    Above ground vegetables ARE carbs. They just have fewer than below ground vegetables. Vegetables are awesome.
    Dietdoctor.com recommends lots of them.

Ketogenic diets don't flush toxins.

But yes, do your research if you decide to do a ketogenic diet. Like, for example, the ones Dr. whats his name on the diet doctor site, recommends. No where does he recommend "no carbs".

OP: if you decide to follow a low carb or ketogenic diet, do your research. I would NOT recommend going from a standard American diet to "zero carb" with no transition, if ever. The dietdoctor website is a good place to learn. Note his "side effects" section.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have not been tracking calories yet or sodium. Mostly trying to change my style slowly but for the most part I'm doing ok with the transition. I will start tracking what I eat so I can gauge it better. I remember when I was on my last diet I craved salt a lot. So I better watch that if that is what can cause leg cramps. No one likes cramps! There is one person in particular that has messaged me twice and I know they are trolling on here so they will see this message. Nothing nasty just rude. If I could block them it would make me feel better.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Research like this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25007189

CONCLUSION: Trials show weight loss in the short-term irrespective of whether the diet is low CHO or balanced. There is probably little or no difference in weight loss and changes in cardiovascular risk factors up to two years of follow-up when overweight and obese adults, with or without type 2 diabetes, are randomised to low CHO diets and isoenergetic balanced weight loss diets.