No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    You all need to take it easy when someone is reaching out.

I think alot of people are just concerned. If a doctor says you can eat all the meat and vegetables you want but can't eat things that are white or off white that sends up red flags. Never in my life have I heard of any competent doctor recommending eating or not eating based on color, that is not something a medical professional would do. I asked my doctor this morning and it said it was probably an alternative medicine provider that gave the recommendations.

Hey, if it means not having to eat cauliflower...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar didn't make you gain weight...EXCESS CALORIES DID!

Well yeah, obviously! Overeating sugar ;) Bash fat all you want, but I can tell you that I have never sat with a tub of butter, unable to put the utensil down because I just HAD to have another bite. Substitute butter with ice cream however, and you'll see where my weight problems come from.

If you re-read my post, I had nothing bad to say about restricting all calories and keeping sugar in your diet. It is (not-so-simple) physics of energy in, energy out (not-so-simple due to the variables that can change the rate (metabolism) of the individual's energy expenditure, but simple due to the easy to understand concept of what goes in, must come out) This was just my viewpoint on a type of diet that a lot of people seem misinformed about. I don't think many people just jump on the ketogenic diet without doing some research first. And the research predominantly states that it's hella good for my purposes.
    Yes they do. Why? Because people will do just about anything for weight loss. People spend more time planning a vacation then they do researching diets on the internet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Indeed, and on this thread (and in MFP) we've seen people do it over and over.

IMO, no harm, though. Try it, see how it goes. Ideally get advice from people doing it successfully but don't close your mind to other sources of information (I get concerned that in the low carb group people are told it's the One True Way to lose and no other ways work, and some of the assertions made on this thread support that concern, such as that you can't lose from a calorie deficit. But for the most part I think people doing keto or LCHF may be enthusiastic because it works for them but not buy into the koolaid that it's right for everyone or the only correct way to diet. Whenever people claim one way is the only way, run away, IMO.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow a low carb diet to lose weight. Calories not carbs.
    If you find it easier to stickto a calorie deficit by lowering your carb intake then there are tons of low carb recipes out there. I wouldn't stick strictly to that diet list your doctor gave you.
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/45-budget-friendly-low-carb-recipes/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/low-carb/
    You can find food ideas on pinterest as well.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    scibba wrote: »
    have you heard of the NSNG way of eating (No Sugar No Grain) - it's not a 'low carb' diet - you basically don't eat sugars or grains (wheat, rice, pasta, flour, oats - etc).

It's Vinnie Tortorich, you should probably disclose that. He's a personal trainer with a popular diet book and podcast, not a nutrition expert.

Anyway, it usually is low carb and he seems to be all about HFLC these days (I don't listen to him much, admittedly, and I know he used to not be into keto -- I have listened to and enjoyed his discussions with Rich Roll and a variety of others since I love those kinds of podcasts when on a long run).
    Research grains and sugar and what they do to the body. It's not the food that makes us fat, it's hormones that are disrupted by the FOODs that we eat!

Sigh.

There's nothing credible saying that whole grains hurt you, unless you are celiac, of course. Giving them up can be an easy way to cut calories, depending on you, and as part of LCHF I think it makes sense. I do moderate carb and rarely eat grains simply because they aren't worth the calories to me most of the time. But that's different from claiming that they are bad for you or mess up your hormones.

As for sugar, a lot of Americans eat excessive sugar in the form of excessive low nutrient sweet stuff (often with high cals that are half from fat, however). But to focus on sugar is to target fruits, veg, and dairy too, when I've seen nothing credible (again) that such foods are harmful at all, in the context of a balanced diet. And that includes any amount of fruit and veg assuming you also get adequate protein and fat. If you want to cut them to do keto, fine, whatever, that works for some, but the idea that they are inherently bad for you is, IMO, an inaccurate and harmful claim.

I also see no reason why the solution to eating excessive added sugar is eating none. Seems odd. I get that some find it easier to moderate if they rarely eat something rather than trying to include non excessive amounts regularly, but that's different from claiming an occasional chocolate will ruin you or screw up your hormones. (Vinnie himself doesn't actually claim that, or didn't when I listened.)

No one said anything about fat so I'm ignoring that bit.
    For the person who said "This site is based on calorie reduction...with guidelines on nutritional macros (fiber, sodium, protein, etc.) to aim for...and promoting it in a SUSTAINABLE way." THAT Is a crazy diet.

calorie reduction is impossible to sustain.

That's absurd. All keto and NSNG and paleo and all the rest are, really, are ways to help sustain a calorie deficit or maintenance, and there's no evidence they work better in the long run than anything else.

do what works for you - after 6 years of calorie restriction and my weight constantly going up and down, I've done NSNG for over a year and lost and maintained weight. I have gone from using an inhaler for asthma almost daily for the last 30 years to a couple of times a week. Inflammation in my shoulder and knee are gone. I'm not sure, since I am a lax logger of food, but I probably get up over 2000 calories a day maybe a bit more. Never hungry - my resting heart rate is around 52 - my triglycerides this year were 24. The doctor said my cholesterol was 'stellar' - and to keep doing what I'm doing. It's not low carb since I eat fruits, nuts avocados. NSNG is absolutely NOT calorie restriction.

Vinnie's book was not a diet book, if you read it - you'd know.

• MNFitnessGal
    MNFitnessGal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sent you a message about my experience. I was on strict protein diet and lost 44 lbs. BUT my cholestrol skyrocketed and it gave me high blood pressure. Both were perfect before the diet. That was 1999 and I still can't get off the bp meds. The American Heart Assoc said that women should avoid high protein/high fat diets after 50 as it's hard on your heart (you don't look 50, but for those considering it, check out the study). I did drink diet pop ONLY and it still allowed me to drop 44 lbs so he's wrong about artificial sweetners. My suggestion is use some carbs, I think it's not healthy to avoid them 100%. I really hope you reconsider. I cringe at doctors who suggest this diet. It's a quick fix but not long lasting and can be very unhealthy. Maybe for some even worse.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Well yeah, obviously! Overeating sugar ;) Bash fat all you want, but I can tell you that I have never sat with a tub of butter, unable to put the utensil down because I just HAD to have another bite. Substitute butter with ice cream however, and you'll see where my weight problems come from.

If you re-read my post, I had nothing bad to say about restricting all calories and keeping sugar in your diet. It is (not-so-simple) physics of energy in, energy out (not-so-simple due to the variables that can change the rate (metabolism) of the individual's energy expenditure, but simple due to the easy to understand concept of what goes in, must come out) This was just my viewpoint on a type of diet that a lot of people seem misinformed about. I don't think many people just jump on the ketogenic diet without doing some research first. And the research predominantly states that it's hella good for my purposes.

The reason people don't sit down with a tub of butter and go to town is because butter doesn't taste good on it's on. It's great ON stuff, but is pretty gross on it it's own. Just like mustard. Love mustard on a sandwich but would never eat it on it's own. Or syrup. I put lots of syrup on my pancakes but I've never just guzzled a bottle of it (although I did once chug a whole bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup as part of an eating challenge).

Also, about half the calories in ice cream are from fat. Not sure why everyone thinks ice cream is basically all sugar.

Don't feel too bad my father would drink cans of Hershey chocolate syrup, he would just pop a hole in the top and drink. He was always skinny but had no teeth at the age of 50. So did you win the challenge?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

The reason people don't sit down with a tub of butter and go to town is because butter doesn't taste good on it's on. It's great ON stuff, but is pretty gross on it it's own. Just like mustard. Love mustard on a sandwich but would never eat it on it's own. Or syrup. I put lots of syrup on my pancakes but I've never just guzzled a bottle of it (although I did once chug a whole bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup as part of an eating challenge).

Also, about half the calories in ice cream are from fat. Not sure why everyone thinks ice cream is basically all sugar.

Don't feel too bad my father would drink cans of Hershey chocolate syrup, he would just pop a hole in the top and drink. He was always skinny but had no teeth at the age of 50. So did you win the challenge?

Oh I totally won. It was a group challenge where three teams of five people race to see who can eat an entire ice cream sundae the fastest...one ingredient at a time. First a half gallon of ice cream, then a bottle of chocolate syrup, then a can of whipped cream and finally a whole jar of cherries.
    The other teams took turns squirting chocolate into each player's mouth. I just twisted the lid off and chugged it.

This sounds like my kind of challenge.