No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I saw someone say I was probably long gone but I'm not. I'm still here reading the good and the bad. I'm choosing to read but I have kept my thoughts to myself. I'm taking in ideas and sites to look at and gaining some new friends along the way. I've been busy at work today so I've been getting pieces through the day. I logged my food for the first time today and I will have to go from there. Thank you for the help. I will continue to read as more posts pop up.

I'm so glad you're still here. And I hope you joined the low carb group. If that way of eating suits you, they can be much more helpful to you than your doctor's advice was! It's the general idea he gave you, but they can help you fine tune things.

Agree with this, OP.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

If I had to choose between giving up bacon forever and killing that poor sweet little adorable piggy myself.......hand me the knife, I'm hungry.

Bacon doesn't come from these pigs, that is a potbelly pig and they (as far as I know) are pet pigs and not butchering pigs
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This sounds AWEFUL! Why would you do this if you didnt have too? These diets are impossible to stick too.. goodluck tho!
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I tried low carb in the past I didn't feel good on it. It just wasn't for me. I did have a boyfriend who lost 50 pounds on Atkins and kept it off for a while. Following the MFP plan and having a balanced diet has worked really well for me so far. I have cut out a lot of refined carbs and table sugar, only because it makes it easier to stay within my calorie allowance. Just personal preference.

I'm down 18 pounds and counting, I'm not miserable eating this way and logging food on this site is very easy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sugar didn't make you gain weight...EXCESS CALORIES DID!

Well yeah, obviously! Overeating sugar ;) Bash fat all you want, but I can tell you that I have never sat with a tub of butter, unable to put the utensil down because I just HAD to have another bite. Substitute butter with ice cream however, and you'll see where my weight problems come from.

If you re-read my post, I had nothing bad to say about restricting all calories and keeping sugar in your diet. It is (not-so-simple) physics of energy in, energy out (not-so-simple due to the variables that can change the rate (metabolism) of the individual's energy expenditure, but simple due to the easy to understand concept of what goes in, must come out) This was just my viewpoint on a type of diet that a lot of people seem misinformed about. I don't think many people just jump on the ketogenic diet without doing some research first. And the research predominantly states that it's hella good for my purposes.

But you've sat down with a bag of sugar and a spoon and eaten the whole thing?

This^

Ice cream is NOT just carbs. It's a combination of ingredients (a recipe) and the macros are carbs, fat & protein.

My problem is I like "yummy" foods....so no, I don't see myself sitting down to a stick of butter.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My dietician has put me on something similar. I'm only allowed a total of 105g of carbs a day. And they have to be consumed in small 15g increments except lunch which is 30g.
    It is because I am insulin resistant, and have hypothyroidism. Making it very difficult to lose weight, even on a calorie deficit

I get 130 grams of carbohydrates daily (macro goal is set to 35% of 1,490 calories). Sometimes I eat all 130 grams, sometimes I'm shy of that. I have Hashi's with associated hypothyroidism and Type II diabetes. Are you taking your blood sugar? Just curious because 15 g/carb at a clip isn't a lot. I actually eat the vast majority of my carbs between 5 and 10 pm. The salad I'm eating right now (romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, whole fat mozzarella, and a hard-boiled egg) is about 10 grams of carbs. Just be careful about low blood sugar is what I'm saying, I suppose. Last Thursday I had a horrible incident after eating only a salad and then doing a 45 minute yoga session. It was not enough to sustain me and they had to bring me juice.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to point out that you most definitely can lose weight with hypothyroidism. My TSH is WAY OFF. Like they want it between 1 and 2 and we are having one heck of a time getting me lower than 30. I've lost about 36 lbs since I've been consistently logging in August 2016. In that time I've taken some breaks. I took about 2 weeks off (spread over the fall holidays) that I ate at maintenance. I think what you might mean is that hypothyroidism can throw off your BMR, in which case you will need to adjust your deficit. You will still lose if you adjust your calories around that, however.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is basically a Ketogenic, or high fat/low carb diet (HFLC). I've eaten this way for over a year and have lost over 30 lbs.
    This type of diet is good for those who have a lot of weight to lose. The fat consumed helps increase the feeling of satiety; allowing for decreased cravings and hunger.
    Mainstream nutrition generally doesn't agree with this type of diet, but it works.

i too had great results from this over a short period of time. i definitely recommend it.. but not forever since it can be hard on the heart

Okay - not forever. Because low carb will not be a lifestyle change for you please have a replacement plan in place before you get to maintenance.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    The paper he gave me states
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Rule of thumb white or sweet you can not have it

Meat- all I want: beef, pork, poultry, seafood, rabbit as much as I want.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Eggs- you can eat all the eggs, bacon and sausage you like

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

I think this sounds great! Ignore the naysayers. If you stick to this, you'll lose weight and feel great. Good luck!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

I think this sounds great! Ignore the naysayers. If you stick to this, you'll lose weight and feel great. Good luck!!

Not necessarily. If she stays on it as the doctor explained the diet to her without a set calorie goal, she may or may not be successful. Only time will tell.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

If I had to choose between giving up bacon forever and killing that poor sweet little adorable piggy myself.......hand me the knife, I'm hungry.

It needs a feed bag and a couple of year first....
  • kendahlj
    Options

Not necessarily. If she stays on it as the doctor explained the diet to her without a set calorie goal, she may or may not be successful. Only time will tell.

There has to be a reasonable amount of common sense with any new way of eating. The doctor basically suggested she cut out sweets and starchy foods. If she does this and eats reasonably the things on the list that are "okay," she'll feel great and lose weight. If it doesn't work in helping her lose weight (not every way of eating works for everyone), then no harm done and she can try something else. It's certainly not going to hurt her, like people on this thread have suggested.
  • kendahlj
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Goodness knows it's important to get those pesky lentils and fruit out of everyone's diet. They are such a scourge!

Why are you projecting false information? Nothing in her post said she couldn't eat lentils. In fact, she said she could eat beans (lumping them with vegetables). I don't necessarily think you need to cut out fruit, but if you're trying to lose weight you can safely eliminate it from your diet and introduce it slowly later if you want. You can get the vitamins and nutrients you get from fruit elsewhere.
  • whiskeykittentoo
    whiskeykittentoo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on LCHF (ketogenic) and only been on it for just over 2 weeks and already seeing results. I'm not hungry - I never have to count calories or starve myself - and I am losing body fat daily. dietdoctor.com has been a great asset in this for me. Feel free to add me if you want support and help.