Options
    I bet the OP is sorry she asked.
    Sometimes people just need to rant?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I get that but calling someone a 'meat head' (in what seemed to be a derogatory manner - but that might just be me reading into it) and putting down someone who is doing something perfectly acceptable when the OP didn't use proper gym etiquette is like saying 'I didn't get what I want. But I didn't ask for it'.

Yeah, fair enough - meathead is pretty derogatory.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    (I didn't quote anvil head but yeah what you said)

One does not squat unwrap then rewrap and belt up and squat again in under ten minutes. It's not happening with traditional wraps.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I get that but calling someone a 'meat head' (in what seemed to be a derogatory manner - but that might just be me reading into it) and putting down someone who is doing something perfectly acceptable when the OP didn't use proper gym etiquette is like saying 'I didn't get what I want. But I didn't ask for it'.

Yeah, fair enough - meathead is pretty derogatory.

That depends - some would take it as a compliment. :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I bet OP is sorry you called him a she.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What is GVT?

German Volume Training
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Just call me Donna, it's all good!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will complain about being called a she, I might upset JoRocks again. JoRocks, I don't recall saying that you don't have a life. Are you looking for a gold start sticker? The only thing that impressed me about your comment was that you take upwards of a 10 minute break between sets. I bet you are popular at the gym.....maybe you do that for attention, seems a little extreme. You definitely get the Participation Ribbon today!

Read her post again. Did she quote you as the person she was replying to?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will complain about being called a she, I might upset JoRocks again. JoRocks, I don't recall saying that you don't have a life. Are you looking for a gold start sticker? The only thing that impressed me about your comment was that you take upwards of a 10 minute break between sets. I bet you are popular at the gym.....maybe you do that for attention, seems a little extreme. You definitely get the Participation Ribbon today!

Do you know how taxing heavy lifts are to your CNS? You act like it's going to be easy peasy to recover from squatting a 1RM or pulling 2x bodyweight.

The rests are that long to allow for adequate recovery. Not resting enough and then going for a heavy lift is risking injury.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    This is an extremely sensitive group. I probably should not post anymore here. There are 4 squat stations at our gym. I think there is a difference in taking a 10 minute break in-between sets when there is only one station like the incline bench, versus 4 stations to squat at. Plus there are two squat machines which work fine for most people like me probably, should all four squat stations be taken by people taking 10 minute breaks for their 5-6 sets. I get it, almost an hour at one station. I just did not know that this was normal gym behavior. But now I know.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    This is an extremely sensitive group. I probably should not post anymore here. There are 4 squat stations at our gym. I think there is a difference in taking a 10 minute break in-between sets when there is only one station like the incline bench, versus 4 stations to squat at. Plus there are two squat machines which work fine for most people like me probably, should all four squat stations be taken by people taking 10 minute breaks for their 5-6 sets. I get it, almost an hour at one station. I just did not know that this was normal gym behavior. But now I know.

But you didn't ask to work in.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    To repeat everyone else, you should have asked to work in. I've been the equipment hog before. I was using the squat rack and another bar to work on my deadlifting form. After switching between the two twice someone asked if I was still using the the bar that I was deadlifting with. Since I already had the squat rack, I told him he could have it. I was only going to do one more deadlifting set anyway, so I just switched that out for a different move on the rack. It didn't ruin my session. It just changed it a little.

People can be very friendly and accommodating when given the chance. Also, you have to have patience for these kinds of situations. You're not the only one who wants the equipment and the gym can only afford and house so much equipment. Also, it's the beginning of the year, so everything is more packed.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

But you didn't ask to work in.

This. Asking to work in is considered normal gym behavior.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I bet OP is sorry you called him a she.

Oops. Busted

• comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Just call me Donna, it's all good!

My apologies B)

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    If you don't stick your arms to and "make room for yourself," no one will. Chances are, if you asked the guy to work-in this post would have become unnecessary. I'm a powerlifter and any set above 85% will get a adequate 5 minute rest from me, but if someone else needs to work, I am more than happy to share the equipment and share either my knowledge with that person, and assist them where necessary. Changing plates is no big deal.

I am more than happy to share, help, and pass on.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    No problem Comptoneliza!