Gym Hogs Vent

Options

Replies

• HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I read all the post and have been reading them from the beginning. I call it like I see it. Making it seem like the gym is a place you can tap someone on the shoulder and they kindly accommodate you is crap. That is why there are gyms like planet fitness advertising "Judgment Free Zone". Call me what you want.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is, people who are bent out of shape by what I said don't have to read this thread and comment. You choose to do so. And I appreciate your opinion. But if I get ripped I might do some ripping too, since I did not start this thread to start a hullabaloo. I did not jump in this thread and take it sideways, I started it. Sounds like it might be helping some people get over their bad days and let off some steam which is not a bad thing. Glad it helps some if that's the case. I take no offense.

At the end of the day, I think all of this came down to having an expectation that wasn't met. I hope you're able to embrace the idea that asking to work in, asking how many more sets someone has, and waiting by a machine or bench (without being that creepy hovering guy) are all perfectly acceptable in a gym setting. I suspect it will make your time at the gym much more enjoyable and you may even meet some cool people along the way, if that's important to you.

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Like I said, very sensitive group. Keep em coming, it's all good.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    I read all the post and have been reading them from the beginning. I call it like I see it. Making it seem like the gym is a place you can tap someone on the shoulder and they kindly accommodate you is crap. That is why there are gyms like planet fitness advertising "Judgment Free Zone". Call me what you want.

That's the judgiest gym out of all of them.

Lunk alarm?

No deadlifts?

No tank tops?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Like I said, very sensitive group. Keep em coming, it's all good.
    From what I'm reading, the only "sensitive" ones on this thread are those saying everyone at the gym is mean and they are too scared to approach someone and ask them a simple question.
    Everyone else is suggesting you nut up instead of crying because you had to wait for something.
    Are you done? Because I'd like to comment now. :D
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you forget the rest and push on. Your body your goals? Opinions are like *kitten* we all have one. I hope you have a better experience the next time you go to the gym.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I know rest times have been mentioned but for what it's worth:

If cutting your rest times short cause you to lift when you're not 100% ready, you are then reducing either the total number of repetitions done (lower total work done) or you are being forced to use a lower weight. Simply put, if you lift before you are ready to maximally perform, you are compromising work output.

Both of these are likely sub-optimal from a muscle growth standpoint and the latter is definitely sub-optimal from a strength standpoint.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25047853

For either strength OR hypertrophy, you should usually rest until you are ready to perform maximally on the next set.

Would lack of recovery time not also raise the risk of injury?

It can if fatigue is preventing proper technique. This is one reason why I'm generally not a fan of very high volumes on technically demanding lifts that have a higher injury risk.

Example: Doing high rep deadlifts with low rest in between doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Next time carry the shotgun with you, it will probably go further than the letter.

Honestly I would have asked to work in, but not everyone likes doing that, but the gym is a community. Unfortunately if you are lifting solo it is too easy to lose track of time. Because four to five minutes between sets is NOT normal no matter how heavy you lift. (Obviously he does not have a life outside of the gym to get back to.) Muscle grow based on the amount stress put on them, not the amount of rest between sets, so you would probably be doing him a favor pacing him.

3-5 minutes is pretty standard for power lifting and that is my rest range on heavier lifts as well...
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Get swole and strong and they'll vacate with a pee puddle trail behind them. JMHSAO
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    HA- who flagged my commentary- can you please point out where I violated terms/conditions?

I'd like to know. Seems like a not particularly aggressive post to be flagging- but I mean- what do I know. I only have one gold star- so I"m not the head of the class.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Snowflake did it...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Snowflake did it...
    Heh in the interest of not using names... I didn't say it But yeah. Lol /noshocked.

yes ghost flagger please point out to the where I violated terms and conditions.

Hurt feelings are not a flag able. Least not last time I checked.