I am so sick to death of this!!!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm a 234 lb guy tying to get to 200 lbs and I'm on a 1500 calorie diet, it that OK?

Doubt it.

Calculate your TDEE here. It already has a function to subtract the percentage that you want (at this point, I believe you want to subtract 20%) and will give you the calories you should eat in a day based on your height, weight, age, and activity level. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ 1500 calories is less than I'm eating and I'm a 188lb woman.

This is the daily calorie intake MFP calculated for me.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I'm a 234 lb guy tying to get to 200 lbs and I'm on a 1500 calorie diet, it that OK?

Doubt it.

Calculate your TDEE here. It already has a function to subtract the percentage that you want (at this point, I believe you want to subtract 20%) and will give you the calories you should eat in a day based on your height, weight, age, and activity level. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ 1500 calories is less than I'm eating and I'm a 188lb woman.

How much did you say you wanted to lose in a week? Being that close to your goal weight, you want to probably lose .5 lbs. You probably have that set to high. Also, this calculator has worked better for me as well as quite a few of my friends.
  • Project9
    Options

Doubt it.

How much did you say you wanted to lose in a week? Being that close to your goal weight, you want to probably lose .5 lbs. You probably have that set to high. Also, this calculator has worked better for me as well as quite a few of my friends.

I put 2 lbs per week as a goal. (17 week goal).
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options

Doubt it.

I put 2 lbs per week as a goal. (17 week goal).

That would be your problem. People who can lose 2 lbs per week are typically more overweight than you are. Right now, I want to lose 40-50 more lbs (you want to lose 34) and I can *realistically* lost 1 lb per week. You should set yours to .5. Also make sure your activity level is accurate. I would still suggest the other calculator, though.
  • Project9
    Options
    If I set my goal to 5 lbs a week, won't the calculator restrict my calories even more?

OK I see you said 0.5.............
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options
    If I set my goal to 5 lbs a week, won't the calculator restrict my calories even more?

Sorry, that was 0.5 I should have put the 0 in front.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Doubt it.

Why do people insist MFP has set their calorie goal? I don't even really have to look to know you set it for a 2 pounds a week. It's really a lot more sensible when you have a small amount to lose or even a large amount, to have a goal of one pound a week. There are a lot of reasons for this. But, the number one reason is so you don't get hangry and binge or say things to your loved ones that you wouldn't say normally, but you do because well low blood sugar or something. It's also a good way to make it easier to transition to maintaining and learning what you need to do everyday for the rest of your life to be healthy and keep reaching for new achievements like maybe running a 5k or something like that.
  • Project9
    Options

Doubt it.

Why do people insist MFP has set their calorie goal? I don't even really have to look to know you set it for a 2 pounds a week. It's really a lot more sensible when you have a small amount to lose or even a large amount, to have a goal of one pound a week. There are a lot of reasons for this. But, the number one reason is so you don't get hangry and binge or say things to your loved ones that you wouldn't say normally, but you do because well low blood sugar or something. It's also a good way to make it easier to transition to maintaining and learning what you need to do everyday for the rest of your life to be healthy and keep reaching for new achievements like maybe running a 5k or something like that.

Because this is the website I decided to use. Why the need to mix and match websites, isn't life complicated enough?
    If the other website is better, why are you here?
  • Project9
    Options
    O.K. I reset the goal for 1 lb per week.
    My categories: Calories........ Carbs......Fat........Protein..........Sodium......Sugar....is there any need to change them?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    This is some what relevant.

http://www.nature.com/news/calorie-restriction-falters-in-the-long-run-1.11297

It doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as they are the right kind and you have plenty of energy throughout the day.

this post is the perfect post to offer another "friday" gif as a response.
    Uh_wtf_gif.gif

so with that logic then, it doesnt matter how much gas you put in your car...as long as its the "right kind" of gas?

where is this magical energy going to come from?

so I can eat 5000 calories over maintenance a day and I will not gain as long as they are the "right" calories......would the right calories come from Unicorn meat and use pixie dust to season?

No, no, no - original post w/ the article link missed the point of the article.

The finding was that 'dieting' primates did not show increased longevity vs. primates that were not 'dieting'. I presume this means they were kept at maintenance, though it doesn't specify and I'm too lazy to look up the research paper. It also implies that the important factor in longevity is nutrition, and not how many calories you eat. However, as far as I can tell, they were only looking at primates in the normal weight range.

The reason this is important is that previous studies like this on worms, rats and one other on primates showed increased longevity under caloric restriction. However, the other one on primates was feeding poor diets (unlike the more recent study that fed a properly balanced diet) - lots of sugar, no antioxidant supplements, etc, and the thought is that the increased longevity is simply because they were eating a smaller amt of the crappy food, not that it was because they ate fewer calories.

So, news at 11 - researchers spend a couple of million dollars 'discovering' what everyone already knows. Eat good nutrition and you're likely to live longer. And this gets press at Nature. *headdesk*
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My categories: Calories........ Carbs......Fat........Protein..........Sodium......Sugar....is there any need to change them?

Protein - set to .8g per lb of body weight
    Fat - set to .35g per lb of body weight
    Carbs - let it fill the remainder
    Sodium, Sugar - remove from the tracker
  • Project9
    Options

set figures to body weight I am now or of the body weight I wish to be?

Actually I do see how to get rid of the categories, but I don't see how to reset the amounts
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Also, because you are only wanting to lose 16 lbs, you can get away with setting your deficit at 15% instead of 20%.

Aaaaaaaaand....that takes me to 1700.

Thank you all. Very much.
    Just a heads up... If you've been eating significantly less than 1700, you may want to consider gradually increasing your calories over the next couple of weeks instead of jumping up to that number overnight.

Either that, or be prepared to avoid the scale for a few weeks while your body gets used to eating that much after being a bit underfed for a while. I truly believe that you will have good results by adequately fueling your body, but it might not be immediate.

Also, you are awesome for asking for advice, listening to it with an open mind, and trying to figure out what you can do with the advice you were given and how to apply it.
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options
    Also, because you are only wanting to lose 16 lbs, you can get away with setting your deficit at 15% instead of 20%.

Aaaaaaaaand....that takes me to 1700.

Thank you all. Very much.
    Just a heads up... If you've been eating significantly less than 1700, you may want to consider gradually increasing your calories over the next couple of weeks instead of jumping up to that number overnight.

Either that, or be prepared to avoid the scale for a few weeks while your body gets used to eating that much after being a bit underfed for a while. I truly believe that you will have good results by adequately fueling your body, but it might not be immediate.

Also, you are awesome for asking for advice, listening to it with an open mind, and trying to figure out what you can do with the advice you were given and how to apply it.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that! I tended to lose weight when going from low calorie (1200-1300) to higher calorie (1600-1800) and I forgot that most people do the opposite.

The same goes for Project9. Either up the calories slowly or avoid the scale. I don't want hate mail from people in a few weeks about then gaining on my advice.
  • BenchPressingCats
    Options

set figures to body weight I am now or of the body weight I wish to be?

Actually I do see how to get rid of the categories, but I don't see how to reset the amounts

Go into "goals" and click on "custom setting" and there will be a drop down box with some percentages to choose from.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I believe to each his own, I kind of feel that the heavier you are you should start at a higher calorie level, so as you lose MFP can lower your calories as you go. I have also found that the method of eating on your goal calories for three days, and the next eat about 500 to 600 more than normal. I have had great success doing this. But maybe not try it until your weight loss stalls. It will give your metabolism a boost. Also, if this is working for you, and you are 100% sure that you are getting all of your vitamins, and you feel fine. Then hey, why change it? Good luck.