A text message I received...what do you think?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tell him to eff off. Then send him pics of you with someone else. I'll be your prop for the pic.

take this nice man up on his offer OP....
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    8 yrs??????

Do you have kids?

Is there a ring?

8yrs dating???????
  • gottennis_2
    gottennis_2 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OUCH!! Sounds like it is time for you to move on to better things in your life.
    Keep in mind you can't change a person like that!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, if he were a good PT or a good boyfriend he would realize the only way you are going to be happy with a lifestyle change where you are "working hard and staying toned" (or however he phrased that) is if it is what you want for you, not what he wants for you.

I am also not sure how I feel about "wanting a girlfriend I can be proud to show off". I value myself as more than some trophy to my husband, and I think he values me as more too or else I wouldn't have married him.

8 years is a long time, but some of this would really worry me.

~Best wishes
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Let me be blunt, he's as "deep as a teaspoon"

Is that what you really want?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    In all fairness though, it’s easy for everyone to say “I’d tell him to F-off” etc. but it’s not that cut and dry. 8 years is a long time and OP might be in love with this man. I would definitely have a conversation with him about how he hurt your feelings and how superficial his text was and go from there. It doesn't sound like he's worth your time but if you feel it's worth it, talk to him about how he made you feel.

Yeah @J_Surita3 just nailed it.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, the dude is hung up on being superficial. He views what he HAS as what defines success. Move on. The longer you stay, the more inadequate he'll make you feel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. Get out before he sucks the life out of you..and if you have a hard time leaving, he already has!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    aoibhs22 wrote: »
    I would love to hear your opinions on the following message.... I received this last night and I still haven't replied, cried a little and cant stop thinking about it.....

Of course you are important to me, how could you not be

But I want you to start putting more effort into training and getting into shape, as I am surrounded by people who are in shape and training hard all the time, and all these people have full time jobs too, and get tired but still do their training

so I'm used to seeing hard working, slim and toned girls all day, and want to be proud to show off my girlfriend as being just as hard working and in just as good of shape

Chat tomorrow

....And I'd like you to start putting more effort into learning how to treat a lady as I'm surrounded by true gentlemen and I'm used to seeing men who are not so vein and shallow. I want to be proud to show off my boyfriend as not being an arrogant prick.

We will NOT chat tomorrow.

Yeah, this. Verbatim. Please text him that and let us know what his response is.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    What if she was actually the one that sent that message to him? Think about that!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Ummm tell him to eat a bag of d!cks

They currently have these at Costco.

Your can find them between the produce and optical departments.
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    aoibhs22 wrote: »

>>> so I'm used to seeing hard working, slim and toned girls all day, and want to be proud to show off my girlfriend

Highlighted the real truth in his message. This is his issue, he wants a trophy not a relationship. And it sounds like he is trying to justify the possibility of his being unfaithful or for his own wandering eye. IMHO

My advice is confront him about it and then move on. I have been happily married for almost 30 years now, my husband has loved me & cherished me no matter what the scale said. Unconditional love is what to look for in a possible mate, not someone you have to seek constant approval from... because there will always be someone younger, prettier, etc. and this only INCREASES as years go by. Your love for one another should get sweeter, and more wonderful with time... feeling shamed or judged by your spouse will dampen that unity. We're called to encourage one another daily.

My one question is does he have any sisters? The reason I ask is that if he doesn't, he may just need some gentle correcting on the proper way to encourage a woman... but honestly, it doesn't really sound like encouragement was his purpose. <3 Good luck!
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    What if she was actually the one that sent that message to him? Think about that!

But she didn't. He did. And if she had, then she'd be the superficial one.

mfzhn7kcrwoa.gif

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't be a doormat--give him the "kiss-off".