Replies

• azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    BeLLe_60 wrote: »
    @DDHFree

There is probably more water weight loss for a keto diet than just a low calorie or low fat diet, because once you use up all of your glycogen (which happens on a low carb diet), all the water that was bound to the glycogen is gone, too. Each gram of glycogen is bound to 4 grams of water. So we should all lose a lot of weight the first week due to diuresis. Not because we are losing fat, although there is some fat loss, too. The reason this is important to understand is that you can gain 5-10 lbs overnight if you go to a birthday party and eat a piece of cake or something, and your glycogen stores are repleted. It has nothing to do with fat loss or fat gain, it's all water. Fat loss is less dramatic on the scale. Once you have lost that initial exhilirating several pounds, weight loss will slow down. I will be happy with 1-2 lbs/week.

Karen in Virginia

Even if it's just water weight, is it still visibly noticeable?

Very much so! Your clothes will fit looser and your measurements will change whether it's water or fat that is lost. Conversely, your clothes will fit tighter the day after you eat carbs while on a keto diet.

Karen in VIrginia

How much of the initial weight loss is water? Is there a reliable percentage?

This article it will explain the water weight loss at the beginning of going on the keto diet.

http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/phlaunt1?url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/43067073.php&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/#2795

The first week initial loss of weight is probably your body using up the glycogen stores in your liver and muscles. If you go back to eating and burning carbs your body will again build up glycogen stores probably equal to what weight you lost during that first week. Not the weight that you lost after that first week though!

Mary

That was great and reassuring. I've heard horror stories that the MOMENT you start eating more than 40-50g of carbs (EVEN ON A CALORIE DEFICIT) you'll gain ALL your weight back in a day or two.

Thanks!

I have heard the same .. if it isn't "substainable".. it won't be a lasting lost. That is why I want to take it slow not whole hog.. (LOL pun not intended) and make this a lifestyle dietary change.

Did you read that article? Always good to go slow for a life change.

http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/phlaunt1?url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/43067073.php&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/#2795

You won't gain all the weight back possibly only the first week of water loss through your body using up the glycogen stores. When you go back to eating carbs your body will rebuild up the glycogen stores thus your body will retain water for that process.

Mary

No I didn't read it. I just have someone close that .. lost 20 lbs fast through low carb restricted diet. When they went back to eating regularly they gained it all back. I shouldn't talk out of turn, but this is new too me and I have this in the back of my mind. Thank you for all the info and links your providing.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    BeLLe- you definitely didn't talk out of turn! It's a very valid point! If people gain their weight back they probably didn't continue to monitor their food intake and since they were eating Keto which is a very high fat diet they probably added carbs back and didn't cut down on fat which together would add weight back on!

When we stop at the end of the 3 weeks we will do what we did prior to starting. We will transition slowly back to carb burning. Unless you decide to continue longer.

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    ^^Agree^^. I would add, when anyone gains weight back after " dieting " no matter what the diet, it's usually bc they went right back to how they were eating that got them needing to " diet " in the first place.

Many people can transition easily from Keto ( very low carb ) to LCHF which is Low carb High Fat - same as keto but the carbs are slightly higher than Keto, to other ways of eating...Whole 30, Paleo, Primal etc. All of these focus on cutting out the sugars and processed foods, which lets face it people, is huge in itself . LowCarb is considered anything under 150 gr of carbs. Everyone has their magic number where they find out how many carbs they can eat a day and still lose or maintain their weight, what ever the goal is. So if you decide that you want to continue low carb way of eating after this challenge is over, you may want to experiment with those levels of carbs to see what works best for you.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pwrfl1- thanks for the inspiration!
  • 44scoobydoo
    44scoobydoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I have heard the same .. if it isn't "substainable".. it won't be a lasting lost. That is why I want to take it slow not whole hog.. (LOL pun not intended) and make this a lifestyle dietary change. [/quote]

I feel the same way. Slowly learning this new eating regimen as this is a lifestyle change for me. Never going back to processed food.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Now that my elephant is out in the room.. :#

@fanncy0626 , Mary Yes that is probably what happened in their case.
    @pwrfl1 Once again ..You help put my reservations to rest in a matter of fact way!
    @44scooby I understand..One day at a time!

I <3 the support here :) Thank you all!!
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Complex feeling today : cravings of sweets,tired, mfp not counting net carbs, uff.... but will go through, wishing you all good luck!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Day5 - no matter where you are in this change in eating we are all here to support each other! The unknown is always scary. Thanks everyone for helping to reassure others and asking questions that others may want to know the answers to, together we make a great team!

Pessxx- sorry you are having a rough time! It should be short and you should be feeling more energetic and less hungry very soon!

Mary
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    pessxx. When I get to feeling that way, it was a sure sign I needed to drink my salted water or pickle juice. It's amazing what this little pick me up drink does for the cravings, energy and mood. You'll get through this !
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    BeLLe_60. Your elephant is helping many I'm sure ! Thanks for bringing your questions to this page , it is helpful to everyone!
  • 44scoobydoo
    44scoobydoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just made and ate (lol) the low carb hand pies! Yummm. Wow. You could do a lot with these. So delicious and easy. Will definitely make again.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you all, I will follow your advice !
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Omelet & sausage this a.m. Fried ring bologna and raw veggies/dip for lunch. Taking Macadamia nuts and chop salad w/low carb dressing for dinner. It's all good!

Yesterday I walked away from my favorite shortbread cookies in the breakroom and work. It wasn't easy but I did it!

Karen in Virginia
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I guess I have a lot of ketones in my urine. This morning it tested at the last of colors on the bottle. My daily carb count tend to be between 15 and 35 not including leafy green veggies. I don't count my veggies but eat a good bit of leafy greens. Probably won't sound enticing to anyone but I love it and I'm sharing it anyway :)
    A typical day of meals for me --

noon 1st meal of the day:
    1. smoothie - frozen spinach, tsp spirulina, 35 gm of frozen blueberries, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/4 cup of coconut milk, 8 oz water. This very small smoothie has 3 carbs from the berries. Amount was too small for other items so maybe they could all count as 1 carb. .
    2. 1 tbsp fermented homemade kimchi
    3. kale chips made with almond butter, orange bell pepper, nutritional yeast, and salt (this makes a sauce for the kale so majority of carbs are from almond butter but again, I don't worry about the leafy green veggies. Two bell peppers were spreaded across 14 servings of kale chips)
    4. 4 tbsp of roasted, salted, crunchy peanut butter with 2 celery sticks

dinner:
    1. sliced avocados on top of slice tomatoe with sliced black olives (sprinkled with sea salt and nutritional yearst) OR if I want to do vegetarian that day rather than vegan I am now having
    2. 4 eggs (grass fed chickens) with raw organic cheese sauteed with spinach and green onions
    3. Top it off with 1 or 2 fat bombs if desired

• fanncy0626
    Options
    DDHFree - thanks for sharing your meal plan with us! I had to look up what nutritional yeast is! It is good to see what other people are eating. I myself am having a little issue with putting enough fat into my meal plan without having to resort to olive oil. So it is nice to see other options!!

Mary
  • DDHFree
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I like seeing what others are eating too. I'm really trying to keep it simple but I think I at least have to try the pizza recipe that I continue to see on YouTube.
    Removed the video because not sure if it's allowed. Not sure why it must post the actual video as oppose to link to the video.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DDHFree- i'm so glad that I looked at the video before you removed it. It was an excellent demonstration. I definitely am going to make it. I went back and found the recipe on YouTube. Very first cauliflower pizza crust recipe that comes up when I googled! I don't think there's any issue with you posting it though. Yummy!
  • azsundancer
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you @fanncy0626 @pwrfl01!!

@44scoobydoo, is it the chili stuffed pies that was posted by @pessxx .. I beleive?

@ketonekaren yum on the fried bolona and the pork rinds you mentioned the other day.

@DDHfree I never thought of PNB and celery!!

@pessxx I hope your feeling better. :)

I just had a whole avacado with a tbs of mayo.. mixed ..It was supper creamy and delicious.

Think of tweaking a few older recipes I have made in the past.

Baked Ruben Chicken.. *shake n bake chicken breasts. on top of saurcraut, foil top and bake , remove foil when done, then sprinked with swiss cheese until melted.

Chili Reanos ...Whole green chilies, stuffed with monterey jack cheese, dip in *flour, egg and fry.

*Do away with the shake n bake and flour.

Does anyone make versions of these?

Can you tell I am hungry?

• fanncy0626
    Options
    I've never made them! But now I am really really really hungry!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    DDHFree- i'm so glad that I looked at the video before you removed it. It was an excellent demonstration. I definitely am going to make it. I went back and found the recipe on YouTube. Very first cauliflower pizza crust recipe that comes up when I googled! I don't think there's any issue with you posting it though. Yummy!

There are several versions but I think this person went the extra distance to to perfect it. If anyone is interested, search Keto Pizza and it's done by Chef Buck. Mary, if you do make it, you must tell us how it turned out. If I make it, I will report back as well.