Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My philosophy is the more days you stay on plan, by eating only keto approved foods the easier it will be to stay on the plan as time goes on. If you flirt with a sugar something something or high carb dealio, the more cravings pop up and it becomes increasing harder to stay on plan. It becomes a slippery slope in my case.

When I first started, I was very diligent, until my family would bring home the pumpkin bars or some other treat. Some days I was able to stay away from it, other days I did not fair so well....so yeah, speaking from experience it caused tons of cravings in my case. ( and lots of stomach distress !)

You need to up your electrolytes if you're feeling drained. Drink a couple cups of bouillon, salt your water, take a magnesium supplement at night.....it seems counter intuitive , but you need more salt than you would regularly....3-5000 mg a day !!!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Made a big MIM (Muffin in a Minute) with almond flour, eggs, blend of 3 hard cheeses, baking powder, and butter.

4g carbs, 2g fiber, 33g fat, 25g protein, 390 calories

Oh my goodness I am full - that should hold me for a few hours

I work a double today.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice on here ladies! Just taking a moment to check in. It is very easy to stay on plan when everyone is dieting! My son and daughter-in-law are both doing low-carb high-fat just now Keto. Have a great day everyone!

Mary
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Feeling better, losing 1 kg , I like a lot this WOE!
    Have a nice and wonderful day!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    pessxx wrote: »
    Nice work!
  • fanncy0626
    Options

Fantastic! Great job!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    My philosophy is the more days you stay on plan, by eating only keto approved foods the easier it will be to stay on the plan as time goes on. If you flirt with a sugar something something or high carb dealio, the more cravings pop up and it becomes increasing harder to stay on plan. It becomes a slippery slope in my case.

When I first started, I was very diligent, until my family would bring home the pumpkin bars or some other treat. Some days I was able to stay away from it, other days I did not fair so well....so yeah, speaking from experience it caused tons of cravings in my case. ( and lots of stomach distress !)

You need to up your electrolytes if you're feeling drained. Drink a couple cups of bouillon, salt your water, take a magnesium supplement at night.....it seems counter intuitive , but you need more salt than you would regularly....3-5000 mg a day !!!

I am feeling better this am. Thanks for your thoughts and advice.. I ate more carbs yesterday thinking that was the issue. I am looking into the electrolytes and eating accordingly.. today. Sounds like you had a battle with those pumpkin bars .. I would also.
  • azsundancer
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Awesome advice on here ladies! Just taking a moment to check in. It is very easy to stay on plan when everyone is dieting! My son and daughter-in-law are both doing low-carb high-fat just now Keto. Have a great day everyone!

Mary

Nice!
  • azsundancer
    Options

Woo- hoo!! You too pessxx!
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree

There is probably more water weight loss for a keto diet than just a low calorie or low fat diet, because once you use up all of your glycogen (which happens on a low carb diet), all the water that was bound to the glycogen is gone, too. Each gram of glycogen is bound to 4 grams of water. So we should all lose a lot of weight the first week due to diuresis. Not because we are losing fat, although there is some fat loss, too. The reason this is important to understand is that you can gain 5-10 lbs overnight if you go to a birthday party and eat a piece of cake or something, and your glycogen stores are repleted. It has nothing to do with fat loss or fat gain, it's all water. Fat loss is less dramatic on the scale. Once you have lost that initial exhilirating several pounds, weight loss will slow down. I will be happy with 1-2 lbs/week.

Karen in Virginia

Even if it's just water weight, is it still visibly noticeable?

Very much so! Your clothes will fit looser and your measurements will change whether it's water or fat that is lost. Conversely, your clothes will fit tighter the day after you eat carbs while on a keto diet.

Karen in VIrginia

How much of the initial weight loss is water? Is there a reliable percentage?

Usually it's about 2 to 3 lbs, which you will regain if you go back on carbs. I would aim a couple of pounds below goal weight for that reason.
  • ideliver
    Options
    Stressful time, as we have a sick newborn granddaughter, but for some reason I am highly motivated to stay on this food plan; I think it's because it makes me feel better physically so I can cope better...stayed well within my carb macros yesterday, slightly over on total calories but not by much. Very glad.

Keeping you in my thoughts. The reality is that life will always keep happening, so at some point you have to put your health high on the priority list!
  • ideliver
    Options
    surreychic wrote: »
    Hi,
    I apologise if this isn't the right place for this question. I suffer from depression (small scale) and wondered if your mood has improved with a ketogenic diet? Anyone?

Thank you in advance and again, apologies if I've randomly thrown this into a thread that isn't really relevant!

Not the same, but I definitely get less Hangry on keto. And my migraines get better, for reasons I can't understand...but it stands to reason that mood fluctuations may decrease as well.
  • pessxx
    Options
    Another nice recipe
    I put it 2 servings
    If you make this into 2 servings, it will be: 197 Calories, 19 Fats, 2.6g Net Carbs, and 6g Protein
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/
  • azsundancer
    Options
    Another nice recipe
    I put it 2 servings
    If you make this into 2 servings, it will be: 197 Calories, 19 Fats, 2.6g Net Carbs, and 6g Protein

Looks delicious!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Another nice recipe
    I put it 2 servings

Awesome! I am definitely going to try this!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Week 2, Day 1 - I hope everyone is doing fantastic after the first week! I feel I was very successful in transitioning into ketosis. First week total loss was 2.8 pounds. I stuck to the eating plan. I hit my macros every day mainly because of preplanning.

Thank you everyone for the support you show others on here! The recipes are greatly appreciated! Please keep the advice and recipes coming!

Sounds like everyone is doing a fantastic job! Remember this is your challenge. Go at your speed. I wish everyone much success!

Mary
  • pessxx
    Options
    Hi !
    Week1 1.2 kg lost = 2.6 pounds
    No more keto flu
    Good luck for everyone!
  • azsundancer
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Week 1

This was a successful/ learning in the works week. While I had a 2lb loss , I was feeling great at the beginning of the week...dragging by the end. I picked up my carbs a bit, looked into upping/ electrolytes, eating from each, calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium and chloride and over ate my cals yesterday. I am feeling back to normal... back at it today but taking it more slow . I need to look into a ratio change to reflect a 1lb. weight loss a week.

• azsundancer
    Options
    Week 2 :)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Tip- Keto flu can happen at any time regardless of how long you've been on plan. It all comes down to the electrolytes