WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Ann, welcome. I hope your lupus is now under control. This is a wonderful place for support and information so do come often. It may seem that we know each other but we always get so many newbies that we are always learning new friends. Join right in and you won’t be a newbie for long.

Yvonne, I hate that any of my friends have to put off health care but the expenses are just getting out of sight.

Janetr, you are rockin’ those leggings. They have to make exercising more fun!!!

Scubabumm, welcome. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. We also request that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location is great too.

Kay, you will love your yard after you have all that work done. Be sure to get before and after pictures to share.

Lisa, just remember that we have to use every last ounce of patience we can muster when our DHs are sick or hurt. Hell, just get him some more pain meds. Lol I don’t know why men have such low pain tolerance? Guess that’s why the women bear the children. I do hope he gets better soon, for both your sakes.

I’m behind again and trying to catch up but first of all just don’t feel great and second of all DH keeps coming into my office talking to me. ppffttt I love him but OMG that man loves to talk! Will try again later.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yep. I now know that my “maybe cold” is a cold. I’m taking care as much as possible and keeping my distance from DH. If he gets it I’ll never hear the end of it. I stayed in all day and made some ham soup. Yum. Going back to the couch to rest some more.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Got behind but finally caught up. That is a hard thing to do with this group. I had a lovely birthday on Tuesday, dinner at El Lago. I had a chicken enchilada and salad, very good. Of course someone let slip it was my birthday so the waiter brought a big sombrero and they sang to me. Then they brought a small piece of cheesecake but we shared it among five of us so I think it was OK. DD just had to post the pic on FB, oh well.

Yesterday I used the gift certificate my DD gave me for a massage. Very nice and relaxing.

Today it has snowed, sleeted and rained here. It is very, very windy. Poor Pip! Are you trying to ride in this? Brrr.

Betty - You might see if you can find an aquatic physical therapist near you. They might be able to explain the reason for the cramps and give exercises to do in the water. I have seen people who were strong swimmers and have had strokes try to swim again and they often panic when their bodies do not respond as they used to in the water. The buoyancy can really throw them off. I can imagine not having the use of your legs would cause a similar feeling. Water exercises versus swimming is most often the better option.

Lisa - Sending healing angels to your DH and patience to you both.

Barbie - Glad Bess is settling in.

Heather - You had quite the adventure. Glad you are safely home.

DJ - If you are getting a sore throat only at certain times and it does not progress it may be reflux and not a cold. Just a thought. I often have a sore throat in the mornings from reflux but it goes away after I eat something.

Animika - Good to see you back.

Beth - Sorry that chocolate got you. Now you will have to go do some exercise but no more diving.

Sarah - Stay strong!

Welcome to the newbies.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ann I am surprised Dr. didn't start with Physical Therapy. Did you have X-rays or MRI? It can show the damage or if it is soft tissue.

I have been sprinkling cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric on and in as many things as I can. I do think it is helping with knee pain. Advil did nothing for me. I had a hard sub day yesterday and that aggravated it. Still it is better than it was a month ago.

Sue glad you had a great Birthday.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :) Bess, the Texas dog didn't mind walking for two hours in temperatures way below freezing but she stayed out about five minutes in a very light rain and then insisted on coming back to the house so she could get in bed.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Toni in TN: Your high protein, semi-high fat & low carb diet is the menu that my body likes, too. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm happy that you're safely home and getting back into the swing of regular life. :smiley:

Joyce: If you ever figure out how to understand men I'll be first in line to buy your book. :wink:

Barbie: Tess will get used to the notion that she won't dissolve in rain water, but it may take a little time. :bigsmile:

We did some work cleaning up our office today. It is still messy, especially my part of it, but we got a lot of loose papers stowed in the right folders. Three cheers!!! Yoga today with my favorite teacher was a gift. I had to miss the Monday and Wednesday classes this week. We had good news about the raccoon damage. It looks like our homeowners insurance will pick up part of the tab. Yay!!!!! Unfortunately the work won't be done until April. :ohwell: The good news is that they can't get under the house to make things worse. :star:

Katla in wet & cold NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Sue!

TNToni
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Took me a few days to get on the February thread. I just finished reading January's! LOL. Thank you Barbie for getting us going again. I love this group. I am already 240 posts behind so will have to catch up a little at a time.

Went for a massage today. Have been very stressed out lately between work and some home situations. Waking up with headaches and pain because I think I'm just so tense. It was amazing. I could definitely get used to those!

Allie, good for you and Tom if you can make it work. It takes work but you have to do what is in your heart. Good luck to you both.

Barbie: How is Bess fitting in? is she right at home now?

My January goals were:
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month :)
    2. Increase muscle and decrease fat percentages :(
    3. Begin exercising at least 4 times a week :(
    4. Get ready for work, the evening before :)
    5. Start getting up at least 30 minutes earlier so I don't have to rush in the morning :)
    6. Work smarter so I don't have to work longer and harder :(
    7. Meal plan every week ;)
    8. More bubble baths and meditation, de-stress ;) Trying SO hard!
    9. Be present, listen and really hear what people are saying :) Improving. Trying not to multi task in my brain so much!
    10. Start my read the Bible in one year plan... ;) Been reading inspirational books but need to start on reading my Bible
    11. One random act of kindness each day :) Usually more than this, but at least one a day.
    12. Laugh...a lot!!!!! :D

Well, I think I have lots of grand ideas but need to keep it simpler. so for February, I will have smaller goals to try to turn into habits.

February Goals:
    1. Weight less at the end of the month
    2. Begin exercising regularly 3 days a week at least
    3. More veggies
    4. Begin meditating and finding ways to get some quiet "me" time
    5. HYDRATE! WITH WATER!!!!
    6. Work on ridding self of anxiety

Have a great evening Everyone!

Tracie in cold and getting colder, Wisconsin
    2017 Word: Serenity
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies.
    Cheri- I was looking for a workout for arms and there was your post. It was perfect excerpt I couldn't figure out how it make it a favorite.
    Welcome to the new ladies. It is hard to keep everyone straight so that is why it is suggested we post a name and location.
    Barbie - there has been a lot of flooding in the Houston area so maybe Bess was exposed to some of that.
    My February goals:
    1. Walk at least 15 minutes each morning
    2. Eat slowly and mindfully
    3. Walk around while talking on the phone.
    4. Continue to do workout program.
    5. SueBDew in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :) Bess and Sasha are happily napping in our bed. They seem to enjoy each other's company. In a few minutes I'll take them out for their bedtime walk. I hope it's not raining now. Bess's new coat won't be here until Wednesday. After the walk I'll do a few minutes of PT exercises and then go to bed.

<3 Barbie
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – My oldest sister wore a 6AAAA throughout HS; they had to order shoes for her; but, penny loafers and ‘be-bops’ were ‘in style’ so with those and a pair of heels to wear to church; she only had 3 pair of shoes.

Before I had children, I wore an AAA; I think a ‘slim’ is between a narrow and a medium. There still are some shoes I can’t wear. I also have an extremely high arch. That makes it difficult; but, now I wear a 7 ½ regular. I think this sister still has a difficult time finding shoes.
    In HS I had a ‘butt’; was a cheerleader; now it has gone ‘south’.

Re – A door – for any reason – would get a reward (for hubby). I’m going to go pick out one and do what someone suggested as ask if they have one that is being discontinued or in a ‘scratch and dent’ pile. At some point, I will get it; but, I want it now so I can enjoy it. It is just the start of doing something and once I get started, I on a rroooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllll!!!! I made a “Bucket List” for things I would ‘like’ to see done around the house. After 15+ years in the same place looking at the same things, I would sort of like to make a few changes.
    Protein – in meat, peanut butter; put it in celery which is lot of ‘water’ content, so you don’t over eat. Whatever the # of tsp./tbsp. in the center of the celery will go far. Cheese. But, then you have to watch the calories for that. Milk? Yogurt?

Lisa – It’s only a NSV … if you never tell why he disappeared, how you used the scales to bop him over the head, and you feel victorious. That’s a NSV!

I agree with Sue’s DDnL – DH needs to start taking the pain pills ASAP to get ahead of the pain; in fact when I had my rotator cuff surgery done, both times, I was put on a pain pill the day before the surgery.

The Synthroid is working, girl! You cannot ‘fool’ your body’s ‘thermostat’ with a placebo. Glad you got it taken care of. You will feel like a ‘new woman’ in a few months.

You said you DH broke his ‘left’ wrist … did he wear a wedding band?

Carol – Yeah! Go FALCONS! I just hope that WALB-TV gets ‘their technical issues’ corrected by the time the game comes on. I don’t know what is going on … the last time this happened, they were in a ‘dispute’ with ABC, CBS, and NBC about ‘contacts’ between them and DirecTV. I’ve already ‘cussed’ out one technician, who made me repeat everything. SLOWLY! I hate dealing with technicians that are probably in another country, who shorten their names to Bob, and can’t understand you, especially when they are acting like a Dick.

bwctc – The weighed hula-hoop will cause bruising around (usually the sides); but, continue it, they go away. I have had mine ‘hanging’ from a tool; and, I think I am going to have to go back and make a new one; and then hang them differently. They are exactly a circle anymore. It does a lot of good for your tummy … that is why I want to do it. If you are not able to hold it up and it is weighted, it might still not be ‘big’ enough. Mine is 5’ around; using 3/4th inch black irrigation tubing, with a double-ended connection point and about ½ cup of water; then wrapped with 2 rolls of colorful duct tape – started an inch away from the connection, wrapping over it, then going back over it in the opposite direction.

Lanette – After losing 40lbs; I attempted to pick up a 40lb bag of ‘potting soil’ and could NOT do it; to think I had been lugging that on my body certainly gave me all the reasons why I would stumble when I walked, felt like my tummy was cutting of my ability to breathe, so any other things.

DJ – It seems like this year has been pretty hard on a lot of people getting colds, sore throats, coughing, just feeling like (*$& warmed over. I hope I can stay away from ‘sick folks’ because if I get a ‘cold’ it usually settles in my chest and I end up with bronchitis, pneumonia, or worst – pleurisy.

Gloria – Thanks! I’ll check with my friend at a CPA office or I will pull them off the Internet! Thanks!

Becca – I don’t weigh at home, naked or otherwise, because I just don’t trust my scales. I think they weigh heavy or not consistently.
    I only count ‘calories’ and not what my DOGD calls ‘macros’. She would try to ‘fix’ her meals around them and I don’t think it was doing her any good by doing so. The only thing I watch out for is the ‘sodium’.

Michele – What about Azaleas? Do they bloom in your Zone? I’m in Zone 8, don’t know. Some are evergreen and some are more or less deciduous. They do well under pine trees with filtered light. You can use them as a hedge or as a bush, leave them alone, and they grow big like a large bush. You can cut them back drastically to get them to bush out. Whether you are looking for bushes that are evergreen and flower or what … look up where you live and stick with the ones that fall in the middle of that range. My Japanese Magnolia is blooming now; usually blooms a little later; then the leaves appear and it is green until late fall. I cannot believe the guy said you were ‘cheap’ … it’d be a little less offensive if he had said you were trying to be ‘economical’ … ‘word of mouth’ can either ‘hurt’ or ‘help’ your business.

pitegny – I take a medication that ‘if I did not have insurance’ would cost me $1200 a month. I’d just be S.O.S.; and, it is a ‘must have’ medication. I’d hate to know what ‘all’ of them would cost a month if I did not have insurance.

Lenora
  • RayvenSkye96
    RayvenSkye96 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to the group but happy to find you all. This looks like a great, supportive place to make some new friends :)

My January resolutions:
    Log my food daily (yes)
    Lose at least 1 lb. weekly (yes)
    Start exercising 3 x week (no)

My February resolutions:
    Log my food daily
    Lose 1.5 lbs. weekly
    Exercise 3x week
    Drink more water (at least 2 bottles daily)

• pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

ride hm 2 gym- 13.51min, 12.8amph, 146mhr, 2.9mi, hail= 138c
    apple watch- 106c
    Ski Machine- 35min, 2incl, 25-45resist, 125ahr, 142mhr, 1.55mi = 289c
    apple watch- 291
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.03min, 152mhr, 10.7amph, 1.4mi, sprinkles = 75c
    apple watch- 52
    jog/walk station 2 wk- 5.10min, 10.30ap, 149mhr, 138ahr .4mi = 60c
    apple watch- 54
    jog wk 2 sta-5min, 10.45ap, 144mhr, .4mi, = 71c
    apple watch- 53c
    ride dome 2 hm- 21.27min, 7.3amph, 142mhr, 2.6mi = 186c
    apple watch- 152c

total cal 819, I was slow at the tail end of the day.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    welcome new peeps

hey there old peeps
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »

canookie - "The odds are good, the goods are odd" is hilarious! I like 'em on the odd side.

-Yvonne in TX

Yvonne in Tx !!!! ... got me an odd one - it's name is Scott! (mind you i'm not exactly "normal" either) !!! LOL

Marni in Alaska
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good morning gals,

Becca and Marni - YOU CAME BACK! Not that you were gone so long, but I missed you.

Toni in cloudy Tennessee

Thanks Toni!!! {{{ hugs !!! }}} :-)
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Kelly - no Canadian holiday here today. We have a Provincial holiday in Manitoba on February 20. As far as our PM, I don't want to trade - you can have them both.

Went to Tim Horton's for coffee with my son and grandson today. Ended up eating part of grandson chocolate mint cookie. Felt guilty about the calories but it was so yummy.

Hugs to all
    Paula Y