WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Kelly Coffee Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 Pounds Down DVD

I'll probably go to mahjongg later this morning. Then they usually go out to lunch. Since I didn't go with them the past few times, I think I should this time. Hope they decide on the deli, their menu looks fairly safe.

Sarah - good luck to you

Welcome everyone new!

KBR - you've come to a great place

Lisa - so glad you're feeling better

Yibnka - welcome. Boy, you sure are one busy lady

Gingersnap - welcome. This is a very non-judgmental group. We all do what works for us

I just ate my breakfast of (get this) chicken broth, shirataki noodles, edamame, oatmeal, and kale. How's that for a weird breakfast?

Rita - one of our cats thinks when I'm doing the plank that I'm making a bridge for him to go under. He's just not thrilled when every time I go down when doing a pushup, I give him a kiss. But I still do it! Do leg exercises while petting him. Makes life interesting. Brownie is adorable!

Off to mahjongg.

Michele in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Go Falcons!

9ltiildleukm.jpg
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Welcome gingersnap and Yinka (we have girls from all over the world but nice to have 1 more from UK) we are non judgemental here and we all do what works for us at least we know what works but sometimes fall off the wagon. Most important thing is to get back on. Good luck

My youngest grandchild is currently having adenoids operation hugs cos I can't be there

Kate UK <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Rita - Love your story about your pups helping you exercise....Brownie wants to get in the action right there! When I get on the floor to do exercises Sophie brings her toys and piles them on me. I think the record is three little squeakies and her big puppy on my tummy while I'm doing (trying to do) stretches. My has to burn some calories.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lanette ~ Your hair is so pretty. :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Welcome newbies! Keep checkin' in!

Yinka, I like your goals - sensible and I've seen many on this forum with similar. Mine too!

Gingersnap, I also have heard good things about the 5:2 Fasting plan. Kind of reminds me of the Wendie Plan on Weightwatchers -- cutting way back a couple days a week makes changes up the metabolism.

Gloria, that's good news about your insurance coverage. Last year I was on work insurance with HUGE deductible and out of pocket - now that we're on Medicare looks like the coverage will be a lot better tho we're still on the hook for more of the dental and vision. Good luck on the job hunting!

Lisa - what a shame about your DH's broken wrist. Sounds like he's doing OK - having husbands "laid up" can be quite a challenge. Mine was not a happy patient and I was a very impatient nurse when he had some major health stuff a few years ago. That was incentive for him to get better quickly. LOL!

Predicted freezing rain didn't hit here tho our deck is super slick.

Have a great day all!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marni in AK: I used to watch an Alaska State Troopers show on the National Geographic Channel. You're right about lots of crime. Much of what I saw on TV revolved around drugs. Drugs are involved in a huge proportion of crime everywhere, especially violent crime as near as I can tell. :cry:

Sherry: I'm glad that you've found a good situation. :smiley:

Becca: The closest thing to pure protein that I can think of is egg whiltes. Yolks are full of fat. I'm a protein oriented woman and wind up with quite a bit of fat in my diet because most proteins come in something that has fat, too. Perhaps others will add to your protein list. Omega fatty acids in salmon are very good for health. Not all fats are equally evil. Saturated fats in doughnuts are among he bad guys. :noway: :ohwell:

Yinka & Gingersnap: Welcome to a great group! We have a few other women for Britain, too along with lots of Canadians and Americans. :smiley:

Joleen: I think you are wise to take off your weight without the "help" of drugs. Slow and steady wins the race. I remember your face and name. It seems to me you were with us for a while in the past. It is great to see you again. :heart:

DH has eye surgery scheduled for February 8. I'm praying for no snow. We go for years without snow in winter here in the Willamette Valley area, and this year we're hitting the jackpot. :grumble: He can't see well enough to do so many things a person takes for granted & cataract removal plus an artificial lens is the only option to make this better. Please send good thoughts for snow free days on Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • TravelGurrl
    TravelGurrl Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good morning my new friends!
    So yesterday was my first full day back on MFP. Can't say it was the greatest, but I DID log all my food, so that's a real eye opener.

I went to see a new ortho because I've been having some random aches in my left knee. Doc says we'll start with shots, but he's certain I need a knee replacement :/ . GREAT! I'll just add that to the list!

Anyways - just popped in to say hello and hope everyone has a great Friday. It's cool and dreary here in San Antonio today. One of those days when you wish it would just rain and get it overwith! But again - it's Friday! That's enough for me!

Ann
    Texas
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to everyone!

The thing I liked about the rewards in that contract I mentioned yesterday is that they were so personal. The person had about 100 pounds to lose, and the rewards definitely got bigger as they higher goals were met. I think the last one was a nice weekend getaway with her husband. But early on they were just simple things that you could tell would bring her joy.

Karen - Too bad about having to work when you really want to rest. I hope you'll find inspiration and encouragement.

Re - Your image of the chihuahua made me laugh. I know what you mean about the clamshells though... I've been trying to do some every day for my own self-directed knee rehab.

Lisa - Philip had lasik surgery years ago and his vision was better than 20/20 afterward, but age-related changes mean he now needs reading glasses to deal with stuff close-up. He loses them all the time. One of these Christmases I'm going to give him a couple dozen pairs just to make sure he's always got a pair in reach.

DJ - Uh-oh, time to reach for the zinc! Hope the proto-cold doesn't turn into something worse.

bwcetc - Oh, no, not the dark chocolate! 'Tis the season for temptation everywhere. But there are far less nutritious ways to slip up. Hope you savored every delicious morsel.

Becca - Woohoo! How wonderful to have such a good January, and then to have your efforts recognized!

Allie - Why not put all of your paycheck into your account and then use that to pay your portion of the bills? I don't see why you should have to account for what you do with the rest of it.

canookie - "The odds are good, the goods are odd" is hilarious! I like 'em on the odd side.

Yinka - What a nice photo! You have a gorgeous smile. Welcome to the group!

I made a nice Cooking Light casserole on Monday... we've had it for three dinners and there's still a little left. Think next time I'll make it in two square pans and put one in the freezer for a lazy day.

Speaking of lazy, it's confession time: The main reason I don't log my measurements along with my weight is that I'd have to put on a bra. I work full-time from home and I've gotten spoiled about not having to dress for work!

All this talk of leggings has me wanting to go see my LuLaRoe consultant. Maybe instead I'll see about sewing a tunic or two, then reward myself with new leggings to match. I have some sewing to do on Roman shades for Dad's river house anyway, and it would be fun to make something for myself while I'm at it.

Off to be productive now.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OK I have a question for some of the posters here.

I am being sucked into the Lulu leggings - can anyone please post a link where I might be able to shop and/or buy them? I love the boldness of them while wondering if I am brave enough to bring that level of attention to my body.

Thanks!

Charleen in Colorado (P.S. Can I get them lined as well for the cold days??)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good morning gals,

I am loving the stories of pets doing stretches and helping with exercise! Can't really say Shirley cat does this. She takes after her mom who is a real couch potato at home. I don't dare take her to a water class to see if she would try to keep me company there. That would not be a pretty picture!

Rita - love the pooch picture!

Lisa - so glad you seem to be getting balanced with the help of your new medicine.

Katla- I will be praying for clear weather so your hubby can get his eye surgery.

Becca and Marni - YOU CAME BACK! Not that you were gone so long, but I missed you.

Other Returnees - so happy to see you join back up! I came back in October thanks to a message from Carey. I had been awol from ya'll for more than a year.

I woke early after 4 hours sleep so I have been cleaning my livingroom carpet. Now that's a calorie burner! I have done well with my food this week after a bad start on Monday. I find the high protein, semi high fat, and low carbs seems to keep me satisfied. Now if I could find a magic combo to end the mental craving for all things gooey and delicious........

Going to work today from 1:45 to 8:15 then tomorrow from 7:45 to 6:00. Exhausting for this old gal (even tho I used to work 12 hour days 6 days a week when I taught.)

Toni in cloudy Tennessee

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Looked at leggings on UK Amazon no lularoe but some others similar mad patterns

Kate UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Just did the following video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NYbpakuJ5SQ&list=WL&index=10

Total Arm Workout with Dumbbells for Women. There are several others I am going to try. My arms are feel like jello right at this moment.

Cheri
    in cloudy College Station, TX

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    ?
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, Heather (not forgetting the other warm welcome messages that I have received from this lovely group!)

Heather, where is Merida? Looks lovely!

Well done, Cheri on your strength exercises for your arms. I'm a big fan of strength workouts and try to do 3 each week. I use Fitness Blender's YouTube videos. They're all free and they're a lovely young husband and wife team. It took me a long time to get to the point where I actually look forward to my workouts, but I am finally there!

Have a great weekend, ladies
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    HELP- I was talking to one of my daycare parents the other day about Instant Pots, and she has one that she uses all of the time. Well, this morning when she dropped her boys off, she brought me her pot and is letting me try it out over the weekend, as they are travelling and she won't need it. Please send me some of your best, easy Instant Pot recipes to try this weekend!!!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    For those searching for LuLaRoe leggings, if you are on facebook, just post that you are looking for a consultant (it's kind of like Avon or Mary Kay; in that you need a sales rep). I swear every other woman in Michigan is either selling/hosting LuLaRoe clothes or they are "oilies" (Essential Oil converts). I believe in holistic meds, the mood lifting ability of aromatherapy, etc. But some of these oilies claim the craziest things "I have an oil for that!" My own former sister-in-law told me she had a mixture of oils that would take care of my husbands RA!
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Cheri, thank you for the Total Arm workout link.

And Yinka, I will also check out the Fitness Blenders. Thank you also for that suggestion! Isn't it neat to be able to get access to these on YouTube?

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies. Yinka, you looks like a very happy person.

Our new stove should be here within the hour. I called and they said it was the last one to be delivered and should be around 6 PM but the delivery driver called and said it would be around 3:30! This morning Charlie spent a long time scrubbing the old one. He said he didn't want the delivery driver to get any grease spot from our old stove. Men, are they even meant to be understood????

I'll be glad when winter is over. My doctor said I need to use this cool mist vaporizer until I turn the furnace off. But it is so chilly sitting beside it. I have a sweatshirt on and am wrapped up in a blanket. But as long as it keeps me out of the hospital I will take it.

Joyce, Indiana