WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Photo of Sasha and Bess warms my heart. How is Bernie adjusting to new sister?

NYKaren: Great time meeting you, and I’ll definitely let you know next time I’m in the Big Apple. So sorry about your friends’ situation. Prayers going up for them and for you. Proud of you for your compassion and great parenting.

KJ: So impressed with your Girl Scouting experiences. We really should meet some day. I know a lot about your council. I love my InstantPot. My small condo kitchen doesn’t give me a ton of counter space, but this device earns a spot because it has multiple functions: saute, slow cook, and pressure cook. It also has a setting for making yougurt which I haven’t tried yet. I can take frozen boneless chicken, throw it in with a can of diced tomatoes and spices, and 35 minutes later it’s taco time.

Sherry: Glad to hear you are in a safe place. I’ve had a Kindle Fire HD for about 5 years and it’s never let me down.

Re: I did a bunch of extra clam shell exercises today, just to join you in spirit. Your attitude is fantastic and really commend you for your diligence and smart choices.

DJ: Woooohoooo! Way to go with the 3 lb loss. Love you, too.

Lisa: Glad to hear DH is managing the pain. I’ll be in Alpine at the end of February. Will PM you the dates and if it’s at all feasible that we can meet up again, I’d love it.

Normally I can get into a gym while on a business trip, but last week was ridiculously busy with meetings running over breakfast, lunch and dinners. Only 1 workout between Sunday and Thursday and it shows on the scale. Ugh.

I’m still reading “The Secret Life of Fat: The Science Behind the Body’s Least Understood Organ and What It Means for You” by Sylvia Tara. Bottom line: hard exercise (like Heather described) and intermittent fasting are the winning combo for keeping fat off. Something in the fasting helps create the right hormone alchemy that burns fat, without over increasing hunger. It’s just so distressing how fat is wired to thrive in people who have worked hard to shed it. That’s us, friends. Hyper-vigilence will now be my way of life, especially once I hit goal.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

January Resolutions and results:
    Re-read “Salt, Sugar, Fat” - DONE
    Water with lemon everyday - DONE
    Do something social every week – DONE
    Take measurements – DONE
    Practice Reiki daily – 50% done

February Resolutions
    HIIT 3 times per week
    Water with lemon everyday
    Do something social every week
    Fast at least 10 days this month
    Practice Reiki daily

Word for 2017: Attune
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone new.

Just found out that Jess plans to leave at 5a.m. tomorrow. We went to dinner tonight. I had a black bean patty, no mayo or bun just lettuce (unfortunately it was iceberg) and tomato and a salad on the side. Wish they'd brought the salad with the burger. Bad thing is that they didn't have any vegs at all at this place. Nothing except french fries which I didn't want. Only water to drink. If Vince and Jess had wanted dessert, I'd already decided that I'd have had a cup of tea for my dessert. But they didn't want any which was just fine by me.

Sarah - how I wish I could have had steamed broccoli. Good for you. If I'd have known that they didn't have any veggies, I probably would have brought some for myself (don't put it past me)

DJ - a few years ago someone gave Jess a down comforter. She left it here. Lately it's been so cold that I've gotten it out and used it. I think I'm getting intolerant to the cold. I almost can't wait for summer when it gets warmer

Beth - so sorry about your hubs. On top of everything else! Would it have been possible for you to go with them?

Made the filling for the shrimp fillo tarts that I'll take with me to the Wine & Design from Newcomers this Thurs. The filling needs to be refrigerated so the flavors meld, tomorrow I want to go to Bi-Lo to get some ribs for Vince since they're on a weekend sale, then cook them and fill the filo shells. Then I can just put them in the freezer until Thurs

Mia - good luck with job #3

Well, going to bed now. I think I'm going to try to get up and see Jess off. Just in case I don't make it, I did give her a "goody" bag that I made up for her consisting of cashews and clementines. She's lately gotten into a sort-of healthy eating and exercising. I saw sort-of because like tonight she had french fries and ribs. Well...she's trying and I don't want to sabotage it.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Beth you reaffirmed what I need to do.
    1. Be even more careful with my diet
    2. Get this extra weight off.

Karen Virginia yes I am taking Vit D and fish oil for knee.

Talked to a friend whose DH had knee problem he changed his sleep, diet , and exercise and lost 20 pounds. No more knee problems.

Now I can ask myself cookie and pain. No cookie on the way to be pain free. NO COOKIE! NO ICECREAM!

Still up because spent an hour cleaning out a six inch clog in our vacuum cleaner. It happened because when I was cleaning up the glass from our window that was shot at by our neighbor who was shooting at squirrels, I accidentally vacuumed up a pen. I knew it might be a problem and tried to get it out before. I took more pieces off this time and was able to get to the clog caused by the pen. I found the pen. The window that keeps on giving. Now the vacuum works great!

:heart: Margaret
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Michele ... no both of us couldn't go to the game ... wheelchair seating at these large sporting venues is limited to the chair and ONE attendant. If I had gone, I would have sat by myself who knows where!!

Husband did ok at the game with his back. We'll take it easy tomorrow.

Toni ... I may get down to visit before the end of the semester ... would love to meet you if it worked out!

Sigh ... I got nothing done in the wallpaper ...

Beth

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh: I hope you feel better soon. (((hugs)))

Becca: Milk is my personal enemy. I have to take lactaid before I have anything with milk in it, and butter is not in the realm of possibility. Margarine does not cause problems for me, thank goodness. :blush:

Pip: You can definitely count the lifeguard who thought you were in your 30s as a huge NSV! WTG Pip! :bigsmile:

Allie: I hope you were able to enjoy your meal despite having a cold. :flowerforyou:

Karen: We were surprised and thrilled to find out that insurance will help with the raccoon damage. The woman at our agent's office was not hopeful in the beginning. I asked her to read the policy to me and she discovered that mice are not covered, but raccoons & other pests are covered. YAY!!! :bigsmile:

Heather: I got married at twenty, too. It wasn't easy but we're both stubborn and refused to give up. Here we are all these years later, still together. :heart:

Canookie: The Angry Yoga segway into a pot commercial is hilarious. Thank you for sharing!!! :laugh:

I had a good riding session today and am pleased with my progress. I don't think my teacher was as pleased as I was. I need more saddle time to improve. I hope that I can make that happen after DH's eye surgery. The surgery is set for Wednesday. We are praying that it doesn't get snowed out again.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Canookie: The Angry Yoga segway into a pot commercial is hilarious. Thank you for sharing!!! :laugh:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Darnit - I didn't play it all the way to the end until watching it a 4th time :-O !!! .. (somewhat appropriate considering I AM Canadian and the sticky green weed is now legal here in Alaska) .. so glad you enjoyed it - I love to laugh but my sense of humor is not for the faint-hearted. My husband and I both have a somewhat twisted sense of humor - one of the many things we have in common that brought us together! :-) In fact, we met online and talked to each other for over a year before we met. We would talk on the phone for hours, telling jokes and funny stories.

Marni in Alaska
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Got back to sleep and slept in late. :D All well. Thanks, Becca, for the lullaby!
    Having breakfast in bed and then on to get my heart rate racing. I've been easy on myself for two days, now to get that magic pill (vigorous exercise ) working!

Love Heather UK,
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

pitegny - It would also be ‘nice’ to know what you prefer to be called, a location (specific or general) and a little about you, married, hobbies, goals, that sort of stuff.

Lenora - sorry, I don't alway remember to put the closing. Leigh in France here. I answer to Leigh, Pitegny or Pit. I am a 64-year old, originally from the USA, but living in France for 33 years, now a dual national. I worked for 30 years across the border in Geneva, Switzerland for an international non-profit concerned with education and human rights for women and girls. It brought me in contact with amazing women from around the world. I live with my DH (definitely dear), Bill, to whom I have been married for 42 years. Our two sons were born here and are working in the Paris area, so my husband and I have decided to keep this as our permanent home. We do still try to spend three months out of the year in Oregon, where we both went to graduate school and have a tight network of friends. I love to cook, read, travel, and watch films, plus anything relating to computers. I also belong to an international trivia team and am starting back to play bridge. You will notice that there are no sporting activities in that description. I do not have a sportive bone in my body, despite having three sports nuts in the family. My weight crept up gradually over the years, some from my love of cooking and eating, and lack of exercise, but mainly from visits home to family in the USA. Each trip was generally worth five pounds. I tried a couple of times over the last decade to lose weight, but each time quickly lapsed. When my son was home for Christmas, he told me he was using MFP to track his weight training and calorie intake, in his case to make sure he gets enough calories. (He, like the other males in my family, is skinny as a rail.) Being a nosy Mom, I decided to have a look and was hooked. When I went to sign up, I found that I had created an account several years ago and then never used it because I decided to go with WW. I love the MFP progam and think it will stick this time. It is encouraging me to get out and walk as a start. I have to go slow, as I had a severe tendon problem three years ago that made walking extremely painful. It still flares up from time to time. I think that is me in a nutshell.

Rita - I would be interested in the squat app.

Karen - I will send good thoughts about your daughter.

Beth - This baby bok choy recipe is very tasty: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/stir-fried-sesame-baby-bok-choy-51180000

Marnie - the angry yoga clip is hilarious.

DJ - congratulations on the loss.

- Leigh in France
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Did my exercises. When I was on the elliptical my raised heart rate was skipping all over the place. One second it was 124 and the next 136. That hasn't happened before. I guess my blood chemistry and electrical signals to my heart are still out of whack. The other machines, which don't get my heart rate up so high were fine. I stopped ten calories early and made it up on the recumbent bike.

Margaret - The jury seems to be still out on the probiotics. Most scientific evidence suggests they have little or no effect. This is because our stomach acid is mega strong and puts paid to most things. The best way to build good bacteria is lots of vegetables for the microbes to munch on. :D Having said that I do eat homemade yoghurt every day, because I love it. <3

One thing that was very noticeable when I was so sick was my "brain fudge". I could not remember anything and my Spanish almost deserted me. Could hardly hold a conversation without forgetting my words. This is because the toxins from the e coli were affecting me, plus dehydration and chemistry out of whack. When we are older the membrane round the brain, that normally keeps it safe, gets thinner and toxins can cross. That is why, when older people get a UTI they suffer from serious hallucinations. That happened to my mother. Really weird stuff. I am fine now, but my chemistry still needs to settle down for my heart.

Going to Skype this pm with the grandchildren. :D

Now to get the insurance forms printed out. (I hate admin) :s

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • mavisjones58
    mavisjones58 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Not starting off the month good at all. Was doing good until Friday. Friday, we had a super bowl potluck at work. Did okay there except for the chips and salsa. Totally, lost it when I came home. Saturday was out of town. Did semi, okay, again, but then have lost it in the wee hours of the AM. On top of that I checked my A1C numbers, and they keep seeming to go up even though I think I'm on track for bringing them back down. I'm so trying to control those numbers with diet but that no longer seems to be working. I don't want to go on meds. I watched my father head down this slippery slope and I ready don't want to be there. Lastly, because I had so much going on this week, except for my water challenge exercises, I got in no activity for the week.

Therefore, goals for the coming week are 1) Continue planning ahead but 2) watch my calorie intake, 3) watch my CARB intake, 4) up the activity level, and 5) get control of the mindless and late night snacking.

Mavis in NC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Rori - would LOVE to see you the end of February! Alpine's one of my favorite places.

Allie - sorry about the cold, girlie, take care of yourself. Zinc really does help shorten mine, or seems to.

Off to the laundromat this morning... and no real plans for the day. Did go for a walk with the DH yesterday, because he's starting to get bored... Lord only knows what trouble he'll be getting into today.

Might do a little work around the warehouse--supposed to be sunny and low 80s today, Mon., Tues., then mid-70s for three days, and up to 91 degrees on Saturday! Then back down in the 50s again by Monday, which is a little more normal around here for February. Might mow the weeds down around the warehouse. The DH always feels guilty if I mow, but it's not like he can do it one-handed. :) Unfortunately, with no rain for weeks, it will be very dusty work.

OK, time to stop procrastinating and just go get my laundry on...

Loved the Canadian pot commercial. :smiley:

Lisa in West Texas
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

It's been a rough couple of days but hopefully thing are settling down. On Thursday I had to deal with an extremely difficult personal situation and that evening I met with a beloved group of girlfriends for support. I indulged in a bit of wine and snacks, stayed within my calorie goal. The next morning I could not get out of bed because the pain in my lower back/hip area was so bad. The pain eased with time but was really sore all day. I also gained 2 lbs. Not a good day. Friday evening I attended my monthly book club meeting and went almost 600 calories over and did not do any exercises for the day because of the back. Yesterday I was back on plan, my back was better, did a little elliptical but up 2.2 lbs. (for the week). Heavy sigh. It was suggested that the portable stationary bike I have been using while sitting on the sofa is the culprit for my back woes. I am not sitting properly while cycling. I have given it up for now, so sad. I suspect the weight gain is also more sodium than I usually consume but I need to get the weight off before I go to NJ on Saturday to see my mother. It is never easy for me to stay on track during those trips.

I am making turkey meatballs in the crockpot to bring to a Super Bowl pot luck this evening.
    GO PATRIOTS!!!

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Chris in MA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    Well wok up at 5... and had a bowl of cereal.... I bought myself a new window feeder and am having a heck of a time getting it up... will have Tom help a bit later... the dogs really needed a bath so just got finished doing that.. it is nice and warm in the house and they are both running around crazy...
    feeling a bit better today.. maybe I am just skirting a cold and can keep it at bay.. I am drinking alot of water and tea...
    Tom and I will hit Sam's today and then I will come home and cook... and maybe take a nap.... want to go over finances with him also..and a will
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Chris - injury will add water weight, plus the sodium. It can't possibly be real fat gain. You are probably right about the bike thing - you need to have your back very well supported. Sorry it hurts! :flowerforyou:

Printed out my forms - a major achievement with my dodgy laptop. :D Now to photocopy everything, fill it all in and send it off. :s

DH watching rugby again, I am catching up with TV programmes about healthy eating. :D

Making the spinach and Feta Pie for dinner. <3
    Any new people - check out skinnytaste.com for tasty recipes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx