• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Off to Golf! Yeah!!

Lillian ........Temporarily in the sunny south
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning Glories! Happy Sunday! Yesterday I tried two meals in the Instant Pot, the soup and the chicken dinner. Both turned out really well. BUT...peeling and cutting the butternut squash was not easy. Usually when I make this soup, I just split the squash and scoop out the seed and then bake it before adding it to the soup. after baking, just scoop out the flesh and add it to the broth. Takes more time, but definitely easier on the arms. I am thinking I will make the pork loin using the slow cooker option, so I can compare it to my crock pot. If it works as well as my favorite crock pot, I can validate getting one of these. Because I work at home, and I really don't have many days where I "forgot" to get dinner ready or am pressed for time, unless the Instant Pot can fill in for a crock pot, it is just another appliance to sit unused on a shelf. SO...we shall see...
    Karen VA- Thank you for the Instant Pot facebook link! I will check that out.
    Marni- O.M.G.!!! That video cracked me up! I am not a yoga person (yet). I keep trying. Maybe this class is one I need to go to!
    Rori-I would love to meet up with you sometime. Let me know if you ever come to West Michigan and I will do the same if I am heading your way. Those years that I was involved in scouting were truly some of the best times with my daughter and the other girls in my troop. The Europe trip (London, Paris, Switzerland), I was not able to go on. I helped with the organizing, fundraising and planning. But because it was a trip organized by the council and was offered to girls council-wide; the list of potential chaperones was Looooooong! We were all interviewed by the two leaders and the girls and they chose the adults. (Not me) BUT, it was thrilling to watch my daughter and one other girl from my troop raise the funds and prepare for the trip. They were both 12 when they learned of the trip and over the next three years each raised a little more than $3,000 for expenses and spending money for the two week trip. My daughter raised the money through babysitting, cleaning and organizing rooms/homes, tutoring younger kids, etc. That work ethic stuck with her. The girl will work her butt off toward whatever her goal. LOL! Wow! That was a long response!
    Sherry- I can picture you sitting at the table buried in paperwork! Go girl! Love the Patience and Wisdom meme!
    Pip-Of course you look years younger than you are! You are a rockstar and have aged much better than Keith Richards!
    KarenNY- tough talk with daughters (or sons). My heart is with you and I think, giving her the little nugget of info that her aunt is there for her was very smart. College can be hard on EVERYONE!
    Heather- Easy does it, getting back into your exercise regime. Listen to your heart!
    Leigh- Is Bill also an American transplant? What took you to France?
    Sharon- Yea! Glow in the Dark Dance Party! Great theme! I have done that with my daycare kids! (except with out the cake). Fun stuff!
    Kate- LOTR trilogy is one of my favorite movie trilogies. There are certain movies and books that I watch/read often or at certain times of the year. My hubby and kids don't understand why; but I think it is because it is like visiting family for me. Familiar, comfortable and the love for the characters pulls me in every time!
    DJ- 3 pound loss! Whoot! YEs! Way to go!

time to get busy! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday
    Not a good day yesterday foodwise started off well with gym and healthy lunch Then went to town with DH wine and a sandwich and entertainment counted the wine and sandwich but (oh dear) when we got home got the munchies (as you do after alcohol)

Staying in today have been to the gym, bike, rower, treadmill and 2 sets on weight machines had a healthy lunch and will have homemade soup later and watch the rugby on TV

Kate UK
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    STATS:

Lazy day yesterday.
    Squats, stretches, breathe, and cardio....nil
    Water 10 cupspound 184.5

Rita in CT
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For those interested in my squat challenge: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10512368/50-plus-squats-challenge#latest

No prizes except for a firm butt and tighter muscles! LOL.

Rita in CT.
  • PHXLoser
    PHXLoser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yay! Happy to find an over 50 ladies group. My first time here. My February goal is to establish a good exercise plan. I was sleeved on 12/28 and need motivation. Diet is going fine. Down 32 lbs because I can't eat much. I work full time from home and am a caretaker for my elder mother and really struggle with making time for exercise. I just bought a FIt Bit so it will zap me every hour to remind me to get off my butt. I also desperately need to clean out my home office so I'm very inspired by those of you on a cleaning binge. Maybe I can do that today during Super Bowl (yawn).
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good luck today football fans, whichever your team! My personal goal is to enjoy the company, the game, and a wing or two or three, but to skip the dip that goes with them.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Leigh – So how did you get the nickname of pitegny or pit? My Daddy always called me Dale; occasionally Jellybeans or Lean-O-Me. 1) Because I was a huge Dale Evans fan, 2) because it was my favorite candy as a child and Mimi always had a dishful, and 3) because as a child, standing in the front seat of the car (no seatbelts back then), I would lean in to him, and he would say, ‘DON’T lean on me’! But, Dale was what he called me all the time. IF he ever called me by my ‘given’ name … I knew I was in ‘big trouble’.

Neither Louis nor I play cards very much. Parents ‘tried’ teaching me Bridge; but, I just could not learn all the nuances of it. We have played 8-1-8 (because sisters play it on vacation); I prefer to play Mexican Train Dominoes; but, don’t have anyone to play with at home.

On WW, I gained weight; but, I wasn’t doing any exercise. I hated their ‘point’ program and keeping up with proteins, fats, carbs, etc. Take a lot of medication with ‘side effects’ of gaining weight. Did not realize that I was gaining a lb., or more every month until one of my MDs pointed out that, which meant, I was gaining 12- 18-lbs. a year. I had almost topped 200lbs by the time my DYS married. Now, 40lbs lighter I look at the wedding pictures and want to cry (again). That’s when my MD ordered me into the weight loss program they had; and, I have been on it for about 1 ½ years. It is coming off ‘slowly’ but, this is a lot healthier than going on a ‘crash’ diet.

Chris – That, at least, makes me feel a little better; knowing that someone here goes that much over their allotted caloric intake … I have done that a few times this week; and, some of last. But, trying hard to get back on track, if not … the exercising. GO FALCONS!!!!

Nancy – Weekends are really hard on me, because DH cooks breakfast on weekends. He also cooks Cream of Wheat the rest of the week, although not every day.

Barbiecat – I don’t think my son’s lab, Luna, would be this patient or have the wisdom to stand back; she would probably think she was running off our ‘tuxedo’ cat.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - I'm 51 and my struggle continues to be eating well. The exercise part I feel ok with (good be better, but I'm pretty consistent right now).So this year, I was hoping to do one thing better with respect to diet each month. Jan, I cut out the pop. I did not drink much (one 90 calorie pop per day), but it was a trigger for other things and was a bad habit. Feb, I am focusing on the snacks I bring to work to avoid the vending machine. Lots of fruit and veg. It is starting to take hold, right now, I feel like some cut up carrot and stewed apple rather than a cookie. I'm trying to work up my nerve to cut out chocolate, but I'm not sure I am ready. Happy Sunday!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Sitting here with a warm compress on lower back. It has really been bothering me since returning from my Disney trip. I think all the intense continuous walking took a toll on my lower back. I'm also in the middle of an arthritis flare. Looking like an old lady arising from a seated position!

Despite this I've been on top of my eating/exercise goals! Weighed in at a new low this morning:184.2! Screen shot from my Fitbit Trainer report for Week 1 of 12. This is my 2nd go around at the 12 week trainer reports. Very helpful to me to see that my efforts payoff. Every 12 weeks you set a new goal. Premium feature.

edjz84bq0qey.jpg

Plans for today: get to the gym, make some returns to Sams Club and later watch the game.

I contacted the local Project Linus Chapter and am ready to start crocheting some blankets for deserving little guys and gals. It gave me such pleasure delivering blankets to the Chapter in Akron, Ohio! Glad there is a local chapter in College Station.

Running into some communication issues with the hubs. Typical pattern we've been through before with hub's Asperger's. Let him know that I was feeling like a roommate lately. That there has been a lack of warmth, hugs and cuddles of late. It's hard for him and I understand this but also know that it is not up to me to adjust to who he is and be happy. He tries and just needs to be reminded once and again. 34+ years together and it's a constant dance of togetherness!

Sending hugs, prayers and blessed thoughts to all in need. Kudos to all our successes. So very blessed to have you in my life! Think of you'all throughout the day and have you on my shoulder guiding me through this journey!

Cheri
    in dreary College Station, TX

• loseweightbb
    loseweightbb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone has a good day. Enjoy the superbowl outtings, but focus most on the company & the game & less on the food. Make wise choices & at least limit unhealthy ones. Try to drink plenty of water & eat something healthy before so you won't be as hungry & better able to resist temptation. Hubby & I don't do anything special for it, just stay home. Hubby bought some extra snacks, but I'll make up some fruit or something else to have instead. I'll prob. work on grading quizzes while it's on & watch just bits of it - like to watch the ads & halftime shows mostly- not really a big football fan.

Finally got back to exercising yesterday again after having a cold & no exercise for past wk or so. Did 30 min on treadmill - moderate pace, pushed myself a little faster & higher incline for short bursts, but a bit difficult to breathe, so took it easy. Should've used my inhaler before started so I could've gone longer. Did pretty well with eating yesterday. Made a yummy salad with some grilled chicken & sliced strawberries & a tiny bit of strawberry balsamic vinegar. Dinner wasn't as healthy - hubby made mashed potatoes & meatloaf & brown gravy. Not too bad, though, since we always use lowfat ground beef & don't add a ton of butter & use skim milk in the potatoes. Didn't take time to measure it out, but think I did ok on the portion sizes I ate. No seconds, which I've done in the past. Gave in later to a craving, though, & had a small bowl of rice pudding & then ate 2 hershey kisses. Regretted it later since more difficult to fall asleep since had it late at night.

A bit disappointed that the scale this morning was on the same wt I've been for past 4 days, but figure the gravy I had prob was a bit salty (did drink plenty of water earlier yest.) & only just got back to the exercise yesterday & didn't burn that many calories. So at least it's still not a gain. Will try to up the exercise today so I'll hopefully see a loss again tomorrow.

Can't wait for spring - soooo sick of snow & temps in 20s or lower. My asthma can't take being outside when it's so cold so can't enjoy winter sports either. Supposed to be in 30s & even 40s one day this wk, but lows in teens. Wintry mix of rain & snow or just more snow most days so still stuck inside, plus will be working anyway. Usually dark when leave for work & often dark by time leave work or get home. UGH. Dream of retiring someday to a warmer climate where we don't have to deal with so much snow & where I can work on flower & veg gardens longer. Some day!

Need to get off butt & off computer now to go change & exercise. Also need to do more laundry & other housework & grading, etc today, too. Despite feeling like I have so much to get done today, though, I feel good that I'm making my exercise a priority instead of putting it off (& never doing it) as in the past. If I don't get all the housework or work stuff done I'd like to today, so be it. My health is more important!

Let's keep reminding ourselves what's most important to us & keep the big picture in mind so small slip-ups don't become bigger ones. Forgive yourself, reflect on what you can change, & move on.

- Becky (upstate, NY)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just done the most chaotic Skype! Grandson Max, 5, doesn't want to do it any more, but we did catch a glimpse of him. :p Edie, 3, is really into it and chats away. :D Bea was Bea. <3 She is crawling everywhere now.

DDIL has started two new projects, one on Instagram for post partum women and a new one on Facebook with general advice for a happier life. She has recently written articles for two big newspapers, including the Huffington Post online. (She is a clinical psychologist ) Dr Jessamy Hibberd. She is trying to get a following before she launches her next book. She is one determined and together woman (nearly all the time) :laugh:
    This is a photo that is on her Facebook page called I <3 Sundays. It is Edie on the Brighton bandstand.

uwepbz23yh3c.png

Feeling really bloated today with the prickly pains Becca described. I have restarted the pills the doctor gave me in Mexico which were superceded by the ones the second doctor gave me. They are supposed to reduce bloating. :(

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marni: Medical marijuana has been legal here in Oregon for decades, and the recreational stuff is finally legal, too. Last year they had pot plants at the State Fair & some were awarded blue ribbons for agriculture. That still makes me giggle. :star:

Sharon in Lethbridge: Congrats on a successful glow in the dark dance party! We've always had the dream of taking the Trans Canada train from west to east in the fall so we can see the leaves in new England, and then fly home. I hope someday we do it. :heart:

Leigh in France: Thanks for putting a signature on your posts! Now we know what to call you. :bigsmile:

Heather: I have had nasty acid reflux for decades and had to quit the medicine I was given for it because the medicine is a contributor to Alzheimers. My thinking and word recall have improved since I quit. DH was taking probiotics and I decided to give them a try. They have been very helpful. He eats kimshee or yogurt. Both do the job for him but I can't eat either one so I tried a probiotic supplement. It is helping. The Bragg's Vinegar that Mary recommended was my first effort, and it was somewhat helpful but didn't quite get the job done for me on its own. I use it to make salad dressing, and now take the probiotic capsule daily. Things are going well. :smiley:

Mavis: I have a strategy that works for me when the urge for mindless munching attacks. I eat raw celery in place of sweets or chips. The crunch is very satisfying & I can eat a lot of it with no worries. I read that it takes more calories to digest than it contains so I consider it a freebie. Several of the women here eat a pound of raw veggies each day. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that practice also helps with the munchies. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Lilymay: My cousins are snowbirds in AZ and have a lot of Canadian friends in their community. The cousins come back for the summer at the Oregon Coast. :smiley:

Barbie: Is Bernie the patient one while the dog eats, or is it the other way around? :bigsmile:

PHXLoser: The best exercise is the one that is enjoyable and makes you want to do it. I enjoy yoga classes three times a week & horseback riding. The riding is a once a week deal, so it is frosting on the cake, so to speak. It is exercise, but not part of daily fitness. We have an exercise bike that has recently moved into the living room where we can ride and watch TV. It has even motivated DH to ride more. I also walk with a friend twice a week. Good luck finding ways to burn calories that you enjoy. :star:

Becky in upstate NY: I absolutely agree that exercise is more important than housework when budgeting your time. :wink:

We have no Super Bowl plans for today. I always like to watch the Budweiser Clydesdales but am able to find them on YouTube. Football is not a big interest of ours unless the Oregon Ducks are playing well. (This year wasn't so good.)

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,682 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

a friend that is not in this forum sent me a msg saying I always say "like" to your daily entries but I don't know what any of it means.. so I replied it's a lot of abbreviations. I sent her a reply to my last stat entry from Friday and broke it down for her and told her that was a slower riding day..she replied, you make me feel lazy, how old are u!.I replied....58 in may..lololi

I guess it does sound like a lot when you write it down.

well.. gonna go to the gym. THIS TIME I have my watch on and my chest strap him is working.. I don't know if I'll do a repeat of yesterday so I could see how many calories I really burned yesterday... we'll c
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Katla I try to eat probiotic food daily too, and I always go over the fiber setting. Fiber is also needed for a healthy gut. I figure if antibiotics survive stomach acid so will probiotics. I know when I got so sick in Mexico it compromised my immune system. Thus it made me vulnerable to getting the swine flu. The flu made me sicker than I was in Mexico. The current thinking is a good portion of your immunity comes from your gut.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,339 Member
    Options
    Sarah - It is the Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie from skinnytaste.com. Many women on this thread like to make it. I usually eat it room temperature with a salad. Today I'm having it with green beans, tomatoes and garlic, with a teaspoon of olive oil. Normally I have mine with chilli sauce, but I will limit that today because my stomach is still sore. We eat a double portion for dinner and have the last sixth each for lunch the next day. I like several recipes from her website.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx