WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Jaja99
    Jaja99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tammy -Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    WHOOPS! I think I did it again … did not save my responses; but, that is “OK”. Like I said, probably something I should not have said.

Pip – I guess I write long posts because I am ‘retired on a disability from a job I LOVED’. I miss the people I worked with. But, there again … I think things happen for a reason; and, sometimes we have to come to the realization that "all the ‘what if’s, then maybe’s’ just aren’t meant to be." LOL! I miss people! I really do! We are 6 miles out in the country from a couple of “Podunk” towns; and 25-30 miles from Albany or Americus, GA. Most of my friends and co-workers have ‘retired’ and ‘moved away’. I make friends very slowly; but, that is due to ‘trust issues’ … that stemmed back from being in the hospital due to “Lithium Toxicity”. I ended up being ‘assigned’ to the most ‘means-spirited’ B**** (who had a ‘god’ complex because she signed her name as “DR”. She was definitely in the wrong profession and even more so when it came to her ‘specialty’. I guess she thought ‘all’ people who had a ‘mental illness or disorder’ were STUPID! I’m a lot like you, when pushed beyond my ‘limits’ … I try to ‘work things out with my immediate supervisor'; but, like my Daddy taught me … 'if you aren’t getting anywhere; go straight to the top … and let it ‘trickle downward; and, be patient’.

I worked for an attorney. I was ‘hired’ specifically to be ‘his’ secretary. I was the ‘new kid on the block’ and the secretary to the ‘big’ boss decided she was intent on making me quit; as she had done to just about all that preceded me.

Firm had just won its major ‘fee’; and, a week after I started, they put on a ‘huge shindig’ to ‘celebrate it’. I found, #1 – I don’t do Champaign, very well … and I got just tipsy enough to strike up a conversation with the two partners. One conversation led to another; the other 2 secretaries were receiving a ‘big bonuses’ … I wasn’t. I laughingly said, ‘well, they should give me a ‘little’ bonus because I had stood at the copier, for the first week, making ‘copies’ and ‘stacking documents’ since I started – 8 hours a day (for this case – which actually ‘settled’); but, it still had to be ‘prepared to go to trial’. I might have told this story – sorry if it is a ‘repeat’. My ‘short-term memory loss problems’ is part of the reason I had to ‘go out on a disability’ after my boss became a Judge; and, took me along with his as his secretary.

Well, the next day I got called into the ‘big boss’s office’ … I just ‘knew’ I was getting ‘fired’. Well, he told me that had talked it over and were going to give me a ‘bonus’; but, not as big as either of the 2 others (who worked for the partners). He asked ‘if I wanted it as a one-time bonus’ or ‘did I want it as a raise’? I asked ‘if’ I could ‘think’ about it and I did for a couple of hours. I went back in his office and told him that I wanted to take it as a ‘raise’ (knowing, that any minute – his secretary could have me ‘fired’). That did NOT go over very well, in her eyes; but, I decided to ‘take my chances’. They already paid their secretaries a ‘lot’ more than any other law firm in town. I had turned down a job the morning I interviewed for that one. He said, ‘good decision’. It did not make my life better … she would ‘rail’ me out every time he was in the office. She was really bad to ‘get her fanny on her shoulders and would walk out on him’. He’d let her ‘cool her jets’ and come back many times. About 2 years later … she got her ‘fanny on her shoulders’ he fired her – for good. What had happened was, she had called me into her office, and was in the process of ‘dressing me down but good’ and he called me in. Again, I was ‘sure’ I was going to get ‘fired’. He turned around and pulled out a ‘blue’ carbon copy of a letter she had typed in his absence and told me to read it. I did and he asked me ‘what I saw’. Well, uh, mmm, 7 typos. This was a ‘one-line’ letter. He told me that I ‘did NOT answer to her’ – I answered to MY boss. As long as HE was happy with my work, I had a job.

I can understand what you are going through. I could not answer phones all day in a CS type of job. I would be ‘cursing, bleeping, and slamming the phone down in their faces’. I admire you for doing this type of job. It is difficult when someone is either not pulling their weight; or they think they are too high up on the ladder to pitch in.

I think it is ‘funny’ that she called you into her office and ‘told you her plan’. I could have had ‘too look down at my feet, bite my lip to keep from laughing and admitting … “Hey, you are in this BECAUSE of me! I would have been ‘bleeding’ from my lips if she had told me ‘they are going to determine which is sharper, bring her up here and I will go down there’. UGH, I’d not go down there either ‘without a raise’. I’m sorry that you will have to ‘complain to her’. Maybe she won’t be ‘in that position very long’ and they will pass her over and pull up someone who knows how to ‘handle’ issues and make them more smoothly.

I’ll be keep you in my “prayers”, hon! You’ve got more moxie than I do. Go for it, lady!!!

I write long posts because you all ‘are’ my friends and I am comfortable, even though I know some of you don’t read my posts or ‘like’ me very much. That’s alright; if I was busy … I probably would not do it either. But, I found this great group of ladies and feel like when things are not going smoothly for me, somebody will post something that ‘hits the nail on the head’ and I can then go and ‘fix’ myself and whatever is going on in my life.

THANKS for putting up with me.

Hang tight!!!! You are worth every single cent you make, then some! I could NOT handle your job, even on one of my many 'good days'.

Lenora – in SW GA (small “Podunk” town outside of Albany/Americus, GA)

For those who might not have ever heard the term "Podunk" ... NOUN: An informal hypothetical small town regarded as typically dull or insignificant:

"She lived in a Podunk town notable for nothing except the girls' school where she taught art."
    Art was my major --- and, I volunteered one day at the school my DGDs go to; and, the teacher who was ‘teaching art’ never asked me back and I volunteered several times - even volunteered to be a 'substitute teacher'. Oh well. I do it for my own pleasure, at my leisure. I don’t have to answer to anybody but myself.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Accountability Post Progress update of my Feb goals for Saturday.

✔1. Log and COMPLETE the entry daily.
    ✔2. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔3. Fiber 30g daily
    4. Walk 30 active Fitbit minutes daily.
    ✔5. Declutter clothes, books, office supplies.
    ✔6. In bed by midnight.

Finally did round 3 of my clothes declutter yesterday.

Only did 12 active minutes. Got busy and then it got late. Didn't want to miss Bed check! LOL!
    --Ginger in Texas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    This time i read all of your post, cuz I guess it was directed to me, lmao!!!!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Went to church and was able to sing with the choir even though I missed rehearsal on Wednesday due to icy roads. After church came home and fed horses and myself and then we went to Community Concert in Everett. It was a comedic magician. He was quite entertaining. DH and I laughed a lot and generally had a good time. DH was a little nervous for a while because the guy was picking people out of the audience to help and the first three he picked out were bald guys. DH definitely fits that category. LOL

Janetr - congratulations on winning the leggings!!

Pip - I hope everything works out great for you.

Cheri - Yes, please share about the program you are on. Sounds interesting.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • jbrinker23
    jbrinker23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    TAMMYCLF...the pictures you posted are just gorgeous!

ANNR...the pasta dish you posted is making me hungry!! Looks delicious!

BECKY...way to go on your weight loss! I love to hear about other peoples' successes! I am a Special Education teacher...what do you teach?

Sounds like a lot of us are doing laundry! I did some yesterday, but the majority of it had to wait until today...it was beautiful here--70 degrees! I spent my day picking up sticks and branches in my parents' yard and then came home and raked (and raked, and raked) leaves from our yard. I even have the blisters to prove it! LOL!! I made my dad some homemade tomato soup with homemade croutons--I got the recipe from my aunt (dad's sister) who made it like their mom did. I took it over today and he said that he hasn't had homemade tomato soup like his mom's since he came back from the service (WW II).

CHERI...yay to you on your downward spiral--weight loss, that is!

I really enjoy reading all of your posts and hearing about your successes! Thank you for making me feel welcome!

Jayne

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa in West TX congrats lady, quitting is not easy. Way to go!!

Janetr okc
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Becky in NY, we had lots of wet snow on Monday…. Good luck navigating around in the blizzard, hope they cancel school for you tomorrow. Sounds like you and DH are kept busy this time of the year.

Carol, I’m praying for the best outcome for your situation.

Pip, boy your work stuff brought back memories. Hope you get the raise AND the move. Nice to get recognized for your hard work and contribution. And also hope it won’t cut into your commute and bike riding. I haven’t spent much time in Tacoma except when I worked for a Seattle seafood distributor decades ago and went along on a sales call to Johnny’s Seafoods on Dock St. I know it has since changed hands and name. Oh, and thanks for posting the photo of the kids “relaxing” on their loveseat!

Congrats to all now able to fit into smaller sizes! I managed to slip on my favorite “summer” pants and get them zipped. Not super comfortable so need to take off a bit more but at least it’s going in the right direction.

Cheri in TX, hope the Imitrex did the job on your headache. It was a life saver for me for several years. After meno the headaches pretty much disappeared except for a sinus thing now and then.

Rita, great your house sold w/o a realtor and you saved some $$. Nice when it goes so slick – yes, you’ll be one busy girl trimming down to fit things into the motorhome. I keep saying I’m going to declutter but it might take us actually moving for me to kick into high gear.

Barbie, I agree on retirement. I too could have “hung on” for another year or two but just couldn’t do it anymore, especially when I realized my pension would be more than what I was making! I do miss being around some of my favorite peeps. Grateful I now have a 2 day casual job with a very nice crew.

Heather UK – chicken in walnut sauce sounds yummy! We had fried potatoes (DH ate them), smoked pork chops, asparagus for supper. Now we both are ready for naps.

Becca, that salmon looked delicious with the pasta and zucchini. My DH doesn’t like the smell of it so we have it rarely (cooking and eating it outside!) Also great idea posting your goals where you can see them on a regular basis! We’ll think of something those fish bones will lure so you don’t starve if “Alone”. I thought the gal from Lopez Island was quite clever, despite the spider bites, and was sad to see her go. But Fowler did a great job. Hope the ones that made it over 60 days got some $$ for their efforts, they deserved it.

Tammy, good luck on the biggest loser challenge! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Wow, gorgeous hike in the snow! Winter is so beautiful there…. and of course, you are used to driving in it and enjoying it. We are weenies out here where we see it rarely.

Sue in WA and Katla, I so enjoy hearing your stories about the horses and riding. I miss the barn smells and sounds and animal kisses (we had sheep). Hug them for me please! And Sue, that comedic magician sounded enjoyable!

OK time to close on this. I’m working on my list for the doc visit tomorrow. I always go to a doc, if possible, with some history about the condition – when it started, what makes it worse or better, how much it hurts, etc….AND a list of questions I want answered. I have to go prepared like that, otherwise I totally space and walk out of there wishing I’d have asked this and that. I think doctors appreciate it too.

Welcome newbies and to those I haven't mentioned, I'll try to hit you next round!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Well, I have "trigger finger" in my right thumb. A while ago I had it in my left thumb, got a shot of cortisone and it eventually went away. I read on the Internet that a self-help treatment is to immobilize the finger for a few days. So I'm going to try that instead of the cortisone. Another reason I'm not saying anything to Vince about it is because I know him and he'll insist that I go to the MD, and I don't want anything to delay our going to FL

joy - welcome. Have I ever found that my body doesn't respond the way it used to! I really can't do plyometrics (well, I really never could) but I've also found that classes/DVD's I need a more basic, can't seem to do the very intricate things that are required. Also, I don't seem to go as fast. Good luck at your race

Becca - the salmon looks good. The bones are said to be high in calcium and because they are soft, you can eat them and not have a problem. Just like sardines. How do you cook your lobster tails?

Loved all the pics, but you can keep the snow, thank you very much

Yea Lisa!

Cooked up some ground chicken breast meat into patties. Sometimes I have that for breakfast (I told you sometimes my breakfasts were strange!). Also, did a load of laundry. Now to watch some TV and then bed.

Michele in NC
  • therwil
    therwil Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks Becca. I just bought lobster tails today and wasn't sure of the best way to prepare them being a prairie girl. Joyce in Alberta Canada
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't posted in a couple of days. Dealing with a very tragic and unexpected loss of a close family member. Even though I haven't logged anything, my last minutes before finally giving way to exhaustion have been spent reading all the encouraging notes you ladies are sharing. Though not directed to me, they are still very uplifting. This week will be very hard dealing with coordinating three services, housing, and meals for up to 200. Do I try to keep up with my diary? I don't know. Maybe the practice will help my sanity. Thank you wonderful strangers for sharing your friendship.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I only eat salmon when I am out due to the smell. Well about any fish smells. I like the lemon trout that Cracker Barrel makes. Becca, I agree that salmon does not look like a nice filet. It reminds me of what Walmart sells as stew meat. I am sure it is what they cut off when they make their cuts for chuck roasts, etc.

Tammy , those pictures are awesome. Although I would love to go hiking and seeing those things, I hate the cold. I remember when my Mom would need me to do something for her she would apologise for it being cold. And I just told her is was just s different temperature and you have to dress for it. Not now. I like being inside. If Charlie and I are going out I want him to make sure the car is nice and warm, although it doesn't always happen. Not many men are like my Dad. He would think it was terrible to allow anyone in the car if it wasn't nice and warm. Of course air conditioning was all 4 windows open.

I have two cousins who live in the Seattle area and I love, love, love the pictures they send. One is an absolutely wonderful photographer. Well so is the one who lives in North Carolina and one in Nashville. The one in NC specialty is blue herons. Seattle is light houses and marine animals. Nashville is kids. They got it from their Mom who loved to photograph roses.

After reading what one of you said about gutter covers, it has really made me think about them. The contractor that is not installing doors has a lower estimate but the one that is higher is installing all doors and a local garage door specialty place is installing it and it includes the price of the door. The difference is about $1500. So I'm not sure which is better since we would have to pay for a garage door and installation with the lower estimate and pay for installation of the front and back doors. Will have to talk to both guys tomorrow. We had an estimate from another company that is really popular here in Evansville but I had to call twice for the estimate, they had trouble finding it and they still had not gotten the subcontract out on the painting. I think they didn't want to do it as the the price was way high.

Love you all, Joyce, Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Tammy Love it!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Whew! I think I'm caught up on the posts.
    Katie Tracking calories is going well for me. Down 4.6 lbs for the week.
    Carey Loved your thought for the day (2/10). Some days are better... I've shared it everywhere!
    Michele deep water? I'm only 5' tall. Maybe they'll let me stay in the shallow end. ;-)
    Lisa Way to Go on your quit! NOPE - Not One Puff Ever! I'm 3 years quit. A great online support group at LS helped me.
    DJ Yes! I'm a believer in the 15 minute task thing. I've just been busy with other things and wasn't highly motivated to do it. But I did it yesterday.
    Lanette We are about 45 minutes to an hour away from Mama's 17 grandkids and 13 great-grandkids. She's been living with us for 10 years. But she lived near the grandkids for most of their younger years and the older Great-grands. We had Sunday dinners at Mom's house. My youngest brother lived next door. His 2 boys were in her house most every day. And - they all had special times with her. We FaceTime with them frequently and see them as often as we can. I agree... there's nothing like the grandparent relationship.
    Mia that 4 flavor cake was all her's. I think DH and I each had a little sliver. She had another sheet cake (lemon filled) for the bigger party.
    Lenora Love the long posts!

Thanks Everyone for your nice comments about my beautiful mother. We cherish every minute with her. I think DH and I compete to see who can please her the most. She's easy to please. She's loads of fun to be with. Quick witted.

We are retired also. DH retired (police officer) at age 50. I retired 8 years later at age 55 - office work. I may have worked longer - but Mama was showing signs of needing me at home with her. And I would rather spend time with her - it was getting harder to go to work - though I loved my job.
    --Ginger in Texas