Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Ann, I don't know anyone well in this group but the women are very inviting so I guess that is a compliment to our group if that is how it looks to a new member.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    sjrs11: You join by posting. Come often and post frequently. You can find us again easily if you look for the blank star at the top of this page and click on it. It will turn yellow. After that you find us again simply by clicking on the star in the Community section. Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Pip: It has been windy here, too. Right this minute it is relatively quiet. :smile:

Re: You can change the language of certain goals to make them more quantifiable. For example: Eat 1 pound of raw vegetables daily; spend 30 minutes working out on the eliptical trainer three times a week; drink two quarts of water daily, etc. You're right that the word "more" doesn't give you enough specificity to make a good goal. (((hugs))) I have a fun goal--have fun every day. It makes me happy. Fun includes everything from riding horses to watching hummingbirds at the feeders. Consider the idea. Every goal doesn't have to focus on weight loss. It is important to include being happy in your life. :wink:

Sherry: You sound happy. I love it! :heart:

Kate UK: DH's eye situation is somewhat like yours. He has cataracts. Both of his are awful & we can hardly wait for the first surgery--which should have been weeks ago but was cancelled due to snow. Wednesday can't get here too soon. :bigsmile:

Beth near Buffalo: Sending good thoughts for your DH's back. :(((HUGS)))

Heather: Welcome home!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Rita: I had a cat who was a master at yoga. God rest her. :heart:

Ann: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Yvonne: I like your idea about rewarding yourself with orchids & garden accessories. Brilliant! :flowerforyou:

Today is a blustery day and I am not planning to walk outside. I am so glad to have the trike set up in the living room. I can exercise all I want in the comfort of my own living room. My main reason for bringing it inside was to take away DH's favorite excuse not to use it himself--it is too cold in the garage. He did use it in the living room yesterday! YAY!!! I want him healthy. I do not want to be an early widow, or forever tied to someone who won't even try to be as healthy as he can. :noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/url]
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people! You don't have to do anything special to join the group, just chime in! Bookmark the thread, though, so you can find it again. At the end of the month wonderful Barbie will post a new link which you will want to bookmark so you can find us on March 1st!

I am down today, tired in my body & soul due to a bunch of stuff I don't really want to whine about. I go to work in a couple of hours. Tomorrow is another day.

Lisa Sending healing thoughts to your husband.

Heather So glad you are home. That was not the easiest holiday you have ever had! Hey, at least you are skinny!

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katie – I totally missed it. I recently ‘deactivated’ my FB account, way too much ‘drama’ and the ‘ex’ of a friend who moved to the other side of Albany, a good 50 miles, we have lost touch. I just did not like some of the things that, if you knew the situation, you’d know he was really 'dissing' her. Even though we have lost touch; I really did not want to see it in print. I tried to ‘block’ him, I ‘tried’ to ‘unfriend’ him; but, he kept showing up. Don’t know if that is because of the settings that either I or another friend of a friend have set on their account. My middle sister has not spoken to me since the election and she apparently has ‘blocked’ those who did not have her ‘political’ leanings. She has not even responded to emails - good, bad, or indifferent.

I hear about it from other sources and it is really none of my business. This site is way more encouraging and supportive and we seem to understand where everyone is in their journey.

Re – I just hope it is better and much cheaper than the AARP we have which just went up nearly $250 for us, combined a month. We need the insurance but at the price of the premiums, can’t afford that; and it will go up once more before the ‘term’ is up. Louis could live longer, as longevity runs in his family. It does for my family as well. Just want to make sure we have enough to pay off things so that the boys won’t have to have any property that is tied into each together.

Michele – I tried doing a new ‘twister board’; finally had to hold on to the door frame; it won’t twist on the carpet; and it walks off the pad. Got terribly frustrated. Went out and tried ‘hula-hooping’ also very frustrating. So total, spent 15 minutes between it. I used to be able to hold up either hoop (one is a little heavier than the other); then I could not hold one ‘up’ and the other stayed up around my boobs and it hurt. I will continue trying it daily. I guess I will either walk again or do a little bit on one of my DVDs. I am hurting today, I hope it is not a start to another UTI. I need to finish reading the book I have out from the library. I am wondering ‘how it has stayed on the best-selling list … for 26 months, longer than most others. It has one particular character; but, it seems to jump ahead almost like it is 5 or 6 different stories depending on what is happening. Doesn’t seem (to me) to have anything that connects where main character gets from one place to the other.

We have not received any 1099s from anybody. I thought they were supposed to be out by the end of January; maybe it is February. But, I have not send Louis’ 2 workers theirs yet. Got to pick up the forms. Sure hoping that BF has them at her office. Would be so much better than having to drive downtown to the IRS office.

Paula – A couple of Thanksgiving Days ago, when DYS had brought his 2 dogs here, one an old lab; the other a Mountain Feist, our DMGD saw no reason why she could not bring their Boston Bull Terrier over. Got up on the deck and he got too close to Jake who was sleeping, he jumped up and had the BBT’s neck is his mouth before we knew it. All 4 men jumped to the recuse; and DDnL#1 was holding the BBT up, so he would not be getting hung. One son was punching him, one was trying to get his mouth open, don’t know what DBnL was doing other than pushing all the furniture away. The DGDs were screaming their heads off. Our DYGD was being held by her other Nana; who held her close to her body and could not turn around to see all the commotion was about. They ran home, and Will took the dog back to them, they would not talk to him; but, he told them that 2 males dogs cannot share the same territory; and Jake had claimed our yard as his territory, and Buster crossed the line. But, he was sorry they had to witness the fight. They wondered why Shorty and Lily were not fighting. It was because every time Lily peed to mark the territory, Shorty went right behind her and peed over it.
    I only weigh every other Tuesday (unless I have a MD appointment between).

Allie – What is the difference between you taking on a certain number of the small bills and pay it out of your paycheck; and, him paying the big things out of his? I'm sure he makes significantly more than you do. I would definitely sit down with him and gather up all the bills and discuss them first before signing over 2/3rds of your paycheck. The next thing you will know you will be ‘back in the same position’. That is how Louis and I do it. He pays for the mortgage, utilities, his charge cards, garbage, anything associated with the house, his business expenses (which come out of his business account), and he has been paying the AARP life insurance. Oh, and for the most part, he pays for all the groceries. I pay my car payment, student loan, car insurance, and WOW life insurance, and the 2 (maybe 3) small credit cards that are in my name only. If we get more WOW life insurance; we will stop the AARP insurance. Then, he will have to take on my car payment; because I just won’t have enough left in my check to pay both. Or, he can take the old truck (one DYS gave us), his present truck – won’t get much for it; and, my car and trade all of them to trade and buy a big truck with an extended cab. So long as they pay off my car and give him a little for each truck; then we could still travel in the truck. I would just have to make all my appointment in the AM and go to my BF’s house to stay until they could come pick me up. He said, ‘no; I’m getting the transmission redone in the truck, which is where it is now; and he doesn’t want to have an even larger truck payment. Oh, and I give DOS some money to help towards tuition for his girls, and I give DOGD a little bit to help her with gas and anything she needs. So far, it works for us.

pitegny – I’ve learned to question things about my medical needs a lot more than ever before. One thing that is nice is now have 3 of my 4 MDs that I really like and feel like they answer my questions. I’m not so sure about the Neurologist … he is strange; but, I think I liked the one I had before better; but, she moved out of town. A nice young black woman and she seemed truly interested in what was going on with me. This last visit to the Neurologist was probably the best that I have had in the past couple of years since I have been with him. One thing is for sure, I probably won’t ever agree to be treated at Phoebe without having someone staying with me most of the time. After what happened to me before I know my BF would take off time to be there for me.

Sarah – I think I have been a ‘fighter’ all my life. Had febrile seizures as a child; my mother said she never had to take my temperature, as soon as it hit 101.3°, I had them. My DYS had them as well; he even stopped breathing on us - now that is scary. Mother said that I almost died twice as a baby. I think the fact that our parents gave us a lot of ‘room’ to make mistakes and learn from them, helped a lot. Daddy always said 'if we had an issue with someone - go directly to them to try to work it out' ... if that did not happen, to go straight to the top of the ladder and let it trickle down.

Kate – I am surprised that the ‘eye MD’ says that my husband doesn’t have cataracts. His irises have changed from a brownish-green hazel to gray over the years (but, they still change color).

Heather – Always flying from west to east is always more tiring than the opposite; you get up, then you are home at a different time and you have to adjust to the time again (from Mexico back to London). I know when we come home from Will and Tami’s it seems so strange that we are more tired coming home than when we go out there. Going out we gain and hour; have no idea how many hours you lost coming home.

Hi Ann – You’ve come to a very large; but, supportive group of ladies. Jump right in and start posting. Don’t be afraid that it is so big; it doesn’t seem that way to us. Some of us are on the journey to lose weight, a few to gain, and several who stay for the encouragement and communication with friends even though they have already reached their goal. It helps them stay there. When yyou are tracking your food, it is important to keep in mind portion control. Getting a good food scale and set of cups and spoons for measuring you food. Some of us ‘eat back our exercise calories’, some of us don’t – but we know that we have a bit of a buffer if we go over. Check with you MD to find out how many calories you should be taking in, to be able to lose. I know about what it is like to take a lot of medication with the side effects of ‘weigh gain’. You just have to realize that you will have to lower it, from what is considered maintaining.

Yvonne – Louis is self-employed and we both receive SSI (I get SSD) – which these two things are not taxable; my BF who used to be an ‘agent’ with the IRS does our taxes. She finds every loophole she can to help us not have to pay a large sum.

I never thought about a ‘reward’ for reaching you weight; such as an ‘orchid’ or a ‘house plant’. I still have a glassed-in porch that has been without a door since we enclosed it. Therefore we cannot use it, although we have the furniture in there. I’m ready for it to be ‘finished’.

Lenora
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Collecting together all the docs we need for our medical insurance claim. We need a more detailed bill from the second doctor. The total is on our card though. We have emailed him. Totals around £350. £100 is excess, so should get back £250. If we can jump through the hoops. ;):*

Had my first alcohol in two weeks tonight. :D And a lovely nap this pm. I woke up thinking "This is a nice hotel room!" :laugh:

I certainly would never exercise if I didn't have my machines at home. I'm far too lazy. >:) I reckon, over the years, it's cheaper than the gym. They are in the spare bedroom.

Loving all the leggings! :bigsmile:

Haven't even opened my suitcase yet. :o Always takes me a while to decompress.

Sorry about all the cataracts. So far my eyes are ok and I only need glasses for reading. I buy really cheap ones in bulk and have them everywhere.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Heather glad you are back home safe and sound. It definitely is a long flight.

Katla/Yvonne thanks for mentioning the "reward" system. I had just decided this morning that if I have lost 2-3 pounds tomorrow when I weigh in that I'll order the Valentine leggings that I fell in love with :)<3

I had cataract surgery, both eyes two weeks apart, almost 5 years ago and I am still loving it. I had astigmatism in both eyes, the left was worse. The surgeon told me it would cost $1,000 per eye because insurance wouldn't cover them, to have the Toric lenses inserted to correct the astigmatism but that I would love it, so I paid the difference. The Toric lenses come in graduated strengths from T1-T10, 10 being for the worst case. He to order them as he only had up to T7's available. He put a T9 in my left eye and T8 in the right and the doctor was so right, I love it. I can see better than I have since I was a teenager. I still need glasses for reading and close up.

Janetr OKC

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet ~ Your leggings rock! :)

Lisa ~ Sorry about your hubby's fall. :'( Hope he heals quickly.

I am psyching myself up to make an appointment with the ortho doc. My right knee really hurts and I cannot walk around for more than 15 or 20 minutes without becoming almost lame. I think I am favoring this leg and it is aggravating my left knee.

Question ~ If you have arthritic knees, does the surgery make you pain free?

Carol in GA
  • janetr7476
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Carol, as you know I had both knees replaced in 2015, about nine months apart. I got to the point that it was excruciating pain to walk thru the grocery store, avoided steps when at all possible and moved very little. I will not say I'm pain free but the pain is livable and I walk on the treadmill for an hour, stationary bike for 45-60 minutes, squats with the kettle bell. Definitely worth it to me and I'd for sure do it again. Everyone is different though and handle pain differently.

Good luck what ever route you decide to go. <3

Janetr OKC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet ~ Thanks! My mom, brother, and sister had the surgery so I guess it's in my future.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
  • brendadonnelly26
    Options
    Just joined MFP. Trying to lose 5-7 pounds, tone up and have more energy.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Janet ~ Thanks! My mom, brother, and sister had the surgery so I guess it's in my future.

Ask your doctor/surgeon all the questions you may have, including if you'll be pain free. Everything you can do to prepare yourself for what to expect is a big plus. I came through both surgeries with very little struggle but again we're all different and have different pain thresholds. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Janetr OKC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sarah, thanks for the pic. I might look into that if I'm not happy with my bungee cords, milk crate, and handtruck.

Janet!!!!!!! Great leggings.

I'm excited. We are going to have a landscaper clean up our wooded areas, severely prune our shrubbery, and fill in some holes in our yard and help us grow some grass. It is going to look so good!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options