Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    IndySue13 wrote: »
    Just joined a gym and am coming in late to this discussion. Due to joint issues I only use the pool to do laps. It makes my skin crawl to see sweaty, stinky people come in to the pool area after working out and hopping into the whirlpool. Really...you can't take a quick rinse in the shower provided before entering the whirlpool? It's not a bathtub.

Gross. Aren't they supposed to shower off first? That's the way it was at my old gym.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Put the fricken weights back on the rack!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    whine about all the other members
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    bwmalone wrote: »
    Was seriously considering getting a membership ... but after this thread, I don't think I will. I'll stick to BW exercise at home.

In my experience most people are nice and at worst things they do will be mildly annoying but being at the gym makes me 10x as motivated to workout as being at home.

Fortunately I don't have too much problem with the motivation - just would be nice to have new routines/options available is my main attraction to the gym.

What intimidates me most about the idea is a combination of the horror stories here and some of the attitude towards newbies, out of shape people and older folks.

I am really quite surprised at how judgemental some of the above posters are.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Was seriously considering getting a membership ... but after this thread, I don't think I will. I'll stick to BW exercise at home.

These problems are really just first world. Get the membership. It's worth all the little nit picky stuff we are crying about on here (myself included). This is just a place for people to vent really. I'm sure I've been guilty of annoying people at the gym for some reason or another. Quite frankly if they don't have the stones to say something I really can't do anything to correct my transgressions. Soo just join up. You'll be happy you did. And you'll be able to commiserate with us all in some way shape or forum.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Don't let people put you off in making gains. You would always find an *kitten* where ever you go.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Leaving the bar loaded...then I get really mad because I workout in my garage and it was me who left it.

:lol:
  • will_be_53
    will_be_53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate when some people think it's acceptable skip shower for weeks before they go to the gym. I understand, all bodies are different, we don't smell like roses when exercise, but sometimes it really feels like dudes skip shower for weeks! It stinks, bro...
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options

In my experience most people are nice and at worst things they do will be mildly annoying but being at the gym makes me 10x as motivated to workout as being at home.

Fortunately I don't have too much problem with the motivation - just would be nice to have new routines/options available is my main attraction to the gym.

What intimidates me most about the idea is a combination of the horror stories here and some of the attitude towards newbies, out of shape people and older folks.

Lots of older men/women at my gym. A mix of out of shape people like me with some people that look incredible. The big buff jock type guys are usually very nice towards everyone including newbies. The staff is there to help newcomers. Horror stories have not happened to me personally. Mostly everyone is just busy doing their own thing.

I recommend you go!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

But... if you're worried about judgmental people, aren't they everywhere, not just the gym?
  • kpancioli
    kpancioli Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • Carillon_Campanello
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So I just got in the shower at the gym and before I stepped in I noticed a large wad of hair in the basin where you stand. Like someone had just cleaned his hair brush in the shower instead of the trash.

I know maybe some people have issues that hair is falling out or has been tugged out during your workout, but the amount of hair was a bit ridiculous. Literally I thought to myself, "someone stood here and removed the excess hair from their hairbrush and threw it in the shower".

Does this happen to anyone else? I was kind of annoyed by this. I realize it's the gym, but who does this? Some poor gym employee making Jack Crap per hour is gonna have to pick that hair out of the shower floor.

Maybe I just need a hug.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    When they fart.

Farting is gymlife.
    There is no way around it.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    So I just got in the shower at the gym and before I stepped in I noticed a large wad of hair in the basin where you stand. Like someone had just cleaned his hair brush in the shower instead of the trash.

I know maybe some people have issues that hair is falling out or has been tugged out during your workout, but the amount of hair was a bit ridiculous. Literally I thought to myself, "someone stood here and removed the excess hair from their hairbrush and threw it in the shower".

Does this happen to anyone else? I was kind of annoyed by this. I realize it's the gym, but who does this? Some poor gym employee making Jack Crap per hour is gonna have to pick that hair out of the shower floor.

Maybe I just need a hug.

Some people are down right nasty. I once saw a guy shaving with a razor inside a regular toilet after working out. Whilst washing my hands I was looking at him. Some people are deranged.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

...What intimidates me most about the idea is a combination of the horror stories here and some of the attitude towards newbies, out of shape people and older folks.

Don't even worry about it. It's not that bad. Plus, all that attitude and judgement is mostly just trapped inside their own heads. You don't have to hear any of it or even know it's happening. If somebody has a bad attitude, that's their personal problem, not yours. Just do you! (That's what I do!) B)

And P.S. - most of the so-called "dirty looks" people think they're getting in the gym is just random Resting B!tc# Face. It's not personal at all, LOL!