Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill and someone gets the treadmill next to me when there is a plethora of empty treadmills available! Why?? Just, why? I literally stop my run, wipe the machine and move to the opposite end of the line of treadmills.
    I do not have the patience.

Some people get in the habit of using one bench or treadmill or whatever when they go to the gym. I do know that on different cardio machines, for the same workout, I will get different results. Maybe the person likes to get on the same machine all the time because he/she thinks it's accurate?

I'm going to be honest, that sounds like the absolute worse excuse to me but, that is another way to look at it. Nonetheless, it's still uncomfortable when someone does this. I'm pretty sure it's gym etiquette to leave a machine between you and another person (unless filled then it is totally fine). I really don't care if someone prefers a certain machine. It's not like all the other machines are broken or garbage. But, that's just me. I suppose that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym.

It's not unspoken gym etiquette. Get over it. There's a lot of wonky equipment, specifically treadmills. I don't care about your personal space when I'm putting all that strain on my knees and hips. I care about my pace, cadence, stride length and breathing. It's not an excuse. Trust me, no one WANTS to be extra close to YOU either. There's a treadmill I want to use, so I use it. Believe me, I'd prefer it if you wrapped it up and left too. But thems the breaks.

Then why respond? Dude, if I'm leaving you alone to do your workout then everything should be fine? Why must this be an issue? Calm down.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    When I'm on the treadmill and someone gets the treadmill next to me when there is a plethora of empty treadmills available! Why?? Just, why? I literally stop my run, wipe the machine and move to the opposite end of the line of treadmills.

Some people get in the habit of using one bench or treadmill or whatever when they go to the gym. I do know that on different cardio machines, for the same workout, I will get different results. Maybe the person likes to get on the same machine all the time because he/she thinks it's accurate?

I'm going to be honest, that sounds like the absolute worse excuse to me but, that is another way to look at it. Nonetheless, it's still uncomfortable when someone does this. I'm pretty sure it's gym etiquette to leave a machine between you and another person (unless filled then it is totally fine). I really don't care if someone prefers a certain machine. It's not like all the other machines are broken or garbage. But, that's just me. I suppose that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym.

Eh, this is pretty much it. If there are 10 treadmills in a row, then you get on whichever one you want, for whatever reason you choose. I know that there's a loose gym etiquette expectation that you shouldn't choose the one directly next to someone else, and all other things being equal, I guess that's fair, but the thing is, all other things AREN'T equal. It's silly to expect everyone else to follow your personal space preferences when their favorite treadmill is available and just happens to be next to you.

And if you've used a gym for a couple weeks or more, you know that some of the treadmills/ellipticals are a little more sketchy.

Exactly. Even if they're all the same age/model, there's always one or two that just don't feel right. The buttons don't work as well, or the belt feels funky. Maybe one has a sticky ledge where your magazine goes or maybe there's one that you were on during your BEST RUN EVER and it feels lucky so that's the one you use. Whatever your reasons, they're at least as valid as someone else's preference for personal space.

Wow, considering this is an opinionated thread, I can't share my opinion because it isn't valid in your eyes? The world must be a tough place for you.

I didn't say it wasn't valid. I said that personal preferences for certain equipment were at least as valid as personal space preferences.

Preference = preference.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dudes that stare. I get it, you're not used to seeing women lifting heavy weight, but I'm not here for your enjoyment/amusement.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Farters.
  • veezybell
    veezybell Posts: 104 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't like people that ego lift with terrible form. Just saw that yesterday, actually.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    Options

It's not unspoken gym etiquette. Get over it. There's a lot of wonky equipment, specifically treadmills. I don't care about your personal space when I'm putting all that strain on my knees and hips. I care about my pace, cadence, stride length and breathing. It's not an excuse. Trust me, no one WANTS to be extra close to YOU either. There's a treadmill I want to use, so I use it. Believe me, I'd prefer it if you wrapped it up and left too. But thems the breaks.

Then why respond? Dude, if I'm leaving you alone to do your workout then everything should be fine? Why must this be an issue? Calm down.

Why assume that I'm not calm? I'm here on my second cup of coffee, trying to shake my brain awake after being up all hours writing a long and complex business document. I'm not worked up - just parsing this out for you.

Do people assume that this is generally accepted gym etiquette? Maybe. I'd go so far as to say...probably. Should they? No. It is completely ridiculous to have that expectation for personal space in a public facility. I guess I would have two things really to point out.

First - you (or anyone else) would likely be a lot more comfortable and happy if you disabuse yourself of the notion that this is a "generally accepted rule"

Second - there are really a lot of considerations that other people make for doing pretty much any thing. I would guess that the reason for being so close to you is almost never "I want to be close to you" or "I am trying to make you uncomfortable" or even "I'm just doing things haphazardly with no regard to how others may feel."

If you read here, you'll see that A LOT of people enjoy personal space. In the States, EVERYONE pretty much wants more. So if I know that, generally speaking, people love personal space. And I know that someone just set up shop RIGHT next to me, I can perhaps soothe myself by understanding that they really are just going about their business without any efforts or attempts to otherwise inconvenience me.

In other words, just depersonalize it. People are just going about their business...so let them. And you go about yours - which it sounds like you do, moving over to enjoy more space if that's an option.

Well you came off as aggressive so, yeah, I told you to calm down. Like I somehow personally offended you. You seem reasonable and I'm glad you were able to express and explain both sides; good for you unlike other posters trying to argue with me. I still don't understand why everyone was freaking out. It's as if people want to be offended.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying. I completely agree besides the general rule thing. I'm not sure what gyms you all go to but this is followed where I've been. I do attend more high-end gyms so that can also be a factor.

Good talk and have a great rest of the day. Best of luck with the business document.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    Options

Eh, this is pretty much it. If there are 10 treadmills in a row, then you get on whichever one you want, for whatever reason you choose. I know that there's a loose gym etiquette expectation that you shouldn't choose the one directly next to someone else, and all other things being equal, I guess that's fair, but the thing is, all other things AREN'T equal. It's silly to expect everyone else to follow your personal space preferences when their favorite treadmill is available and just happens to be next to you.

And if you've used a gym for a couple weeks or more, you know that some of the treadmills/ellipticals are a little more sketchy.

Exactly. Even if they're all the same age/model, there's always one or two that just don't feel right. The buttons don't work as well, or the belt feels funky. Maybe one has a sticky ledge where your magazine goes or maybe there's one that you were on during your BEST RUN EVER and it feels lucky so that's the one you use. Whatever your reasons, they're at least as valid as someone else's preference for personal space.

Wow, considering this is an opinionated thread, I can't share my opinion because it isn't valid in your eyes? The world must be a tough place for you.

I didn't say it wasn't valid. I said that personal preferences for certain equipment were at least as valid as personal space preferences.

Preference = preference.

I'm done speaking to you. You're not adding anything to this conversation. You're fueling a completely unnecessary fire. I stated my opinion and you took it as a personal attack. We were at a understanding somewhat. But, Like you said, preference = preference. I have mine and you have yours.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    When people take up the entire locker room to set up a beauty salon for themselves.

Not putting equipment & weights back after using them.

Not wiping down machines after using them.

Taking up a machine to sit on it & talk to your gym buddies.

Talking to me & interrupting my workout when I'm clearly not interested in talking to you.

Staring

Singing out loud to the music you are listening to & being obnoxious in general.

Getting on the cardio machine right next to me when there are 20 others available.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Preference = preference.

I'm done speaking to you. You're not adding anything to this conversation. You're fueling a completely unnecessary fire. I stated my opinion and you took it as a personal attack. We were at a understanding somewhat. But, Like you said, preference = preference. I have mine and you have yours.

Okay, then. I certainly didn't take anything you said as a personal attack, I just disagreed with your initial statement and then clarified my position when you misstated it.

Nothing I said here was intended to be heated or personal. You have your pet peeve and I have mine and we can live and let live.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Cardio Coughers. Getting on whatever machine and coughing and coughing and clearing your throat. It's not a sick cough. (Although I have seen that as well) Its Cardio coughing to catch more air. Drives me nuts.

Sounds like exercise induced asthma to me. My cough usually doesn't start until after I stop exertion. So at least I won't be bugging you while on the treadmill. Maybe a little bit on the way out of the gym, though... ;)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Guys in man bra's

:lol:
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    People sitting on the machines and texting.
    People not wiping down equipment after using. I don't like marinating in my own sweat, let alone anyone else's.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    PAGinger wrote: »
    People sitting on the machines and texting.
    People not wiping down equipment after using. I don't like marinating in my own sweat, let alone anyone else's.

How do you know they aren't just using an app like "Strong workout tracker". I used to carry a notebook around and furiously scribble in between sets and then use my phone as a countdown timer. Now I just use the app and track it that way - it has an automatic timer that notifies me when it's time to start the next set. I take 2 minute breaks between sets - so I'm gonna be there a while. You want to work in - just ask. ;)
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I hear what you are saying. I feel the same way at a urinal. Some dudes just saunter on up right next to you and pee.

But, if you just look around here on MFP, you'll see a ton of OCD people who are like that about machines, places to sit, showers they use, etc... It has just been my observation/realization that not all people who sit next to you on a bus or get on a machine right next to you; some people literally can't help it. But then again, some people are just creepy freaks.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Cardio Coughers. Getting on whatever machine and coughing and coughing and clearing your throat. It's not a sick cough. (Although I have seen that as well) Its Cardio coughing to catch more air. Drives me nuts.

Sounds like exercise induced asthma to me. My cough usually doesn't start until after I stop exertion. So at least I won't be bugging you while on the treadmill. Maybe a little bit on the way out of the gym, though... ;)

I think I might have this too. So there is a name for it?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    [ but I'm not here for your enjoyment/amusement.

well ....

hqdefault.jpg

• DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to sit or work out next to someone and there are empty seats or treadmills and other machines out there, he or she is probably interested in you.