Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    We've got a dude at the gym who likes to make "reservations" by putting his belongings around or on the equipment.

This morning, he left a towel hanging over the barbell in the squat rack; a water bottle on the bench at the bench press station; meanwhile, he was over at the dumbbell rack doing curls.
  • HooperDrivesTheBoatChief
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    We've got a dude at the gym who likes to make "reservations" by putting his belongings around or on the equipment.

This morning, he left a towel hanging over the barbell in the squat rack; a water bottle on the bench at the bench press station; meanwhile, he was over at the dumbbell rack doing curls.

Oh man. That makes me go from Bruce Banner to Hulk in a matter of seconds.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i want to know who these savages are who rack a 45 pound plates in front of 10 or 5 pound plates.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »

we have a guy like that at my gym. we had a run in a few months ago because he had a towel on the lat pulldown machine. i moved the towel and was doing a set when he came over and started talking to me. at first i pretended i didnt hear because of my head phones. then i took them out.

him: excuse me. i was using that.
    me: no you weren't. you were somewhere else.

he started saying something but i put my headphones back in and finished my set
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill and someone gets the treadmill next to me when there is a plethora of empty treadmills available! Why?? Just, why? I literally stop my run, wipe the machine and move to the opposite end of the line of treadmills.
    I do not have the patience.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ...I walk around naked all of the time and only "warn" my 13 year old son that I'm "coming through the house naked" just in case he has some weird, teen issues that I'll need to correct...

That's not really a weird teen issue that needs correcting. It's actually totally normal for pubescent kids to NOT want to see their own parents (especially opposite gender) in the nude. That's a confusing time - raging hormones and all. The last thing a young boy wants is to see his naked mom and get inadvertently aroused. Awkward...

ETA: Everyone's got their own level of comfort. It could be totally normal for one kid to see his parents naked and not think it's a big deal. But some other kid could be made uncomfortable by it. Probably more of an individual personality/comfort zone kind of a thing. My point is that it's not abnormal for kids to NOT want to see their parents naked. It doesn't indicate any kind of "issues" or shame or sexual hang-ups.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When there is no coffee left for me at 0800
  • fit4life_78
    fit4life_78 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I hate when people turn it into their hangout, where they are just sitting around talking and taking up benches and such, but not doing any excercising!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    When there is no coffee left for me at 0800

OMG, I miss my gym that had coffee. It was one of those keurig thingies and they had a million k-cup choices so you could get a cup on your way out if you were a morning gym-er (or if you just happen to be a coffee enthusiast and you like a cup at 2 p.m. Whatevs.)

I'm annoyed that my current gym has no coffee.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I can't seem to see/read the original responses from @jenilla1... maybe its the app.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting every parent should be comfortable with nudity nor every kid. But since this IS the norm in my house and I've always raised him this way, sudden issues with passing nudity would certainly warrant a discussion. I don't want him getting the impression that nudity is wrong, shameful, and especially *sexual* since that's not accurate.

Basically, I tend to think parents that exhibit shame or overreact to children flinging their clothes off when they're young is particularly harmful to boys and breeds the idea that women's bodies are inherently sexual even in non-sexual situations. I'd like to quash that idea in advance. I don't want my son ogling women's bodies, hooting and catcalling, or ever thinking a sexy outfit is any sort of invitation for staring, comments, etc. I want him to understand that while sex often includes naked bodies/barely dressed bodies... naked/barely dressed bodies do not equal sex.

They're just bodies. Sometimes viewed as art, sometimes a cadaver on a slab, sometimes sex, sometimes just comfort. So I'm trying to make it easy for him to know the difference BEFORE he's sexually active/dating.

I'm surprised that so many people are uncomfortable with that idea when it seems so obviously necessary to teach. Anyway, hopefully that clarifies.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Naked women in the changing room. There was a woman in the locker right next to me the other day and she was putting lotion all over her body next to me. I mean there is a time and a place for the lotion people!

Yes. A time and a place. A time...like after a shower. A place...like in a locker room.

Ok. Some people have a problem with me not liking the nakedness or the lotion. There, now you know. Some people don't like the nakedness or the lotion. I said it. Ok. I'm not the only one. There are others. We wear bracelets

Are you one of those people that brings all of your stuff to the shower with you and takes 15 minutes getting dressed, all the way to your shoes and jewelry, in the privacy of the shower while the rest of us are waiting in line?

Because there's my gym annoyance.

No. I hate that too. I just don't want women naked around me or talking to me while they are naked. There is nothing wrong with that. My new gym annoyance are women that have a problem with me having a problem with their nakedness :)

HOW did you make it through junior high and high school? We didnt even have shower curtains in our locker rooms.

I'm not annoyed with your or anything. It's something more like pity. Like...oh wow? That must suck...having to feel uncomfortable with very basic societal norms.

Societal norms include parading around in front of strangers completely naked and having extended conversations while in that state of undress?

I was in the Army and lived in military barracks that entire time. Most of us kept a towel wrapped around us when not in the shower... I never found it "normal" or fun trying to have a conversation with some dude standing next to me fully naked with his junk eye level as I'm putting my socks on or tying my shoes.

Speaking of junior and high school... there were a LOT of kids there that wouldn't take a shower because of embarrassment at having to undress in front of their classmates. I remember them. They would just change, without showering... and it wasn't just a couple of them.

I was in the army and lived in the barracks too. I always had a towel around me getting out of the shower. Hell, everyone did. It kind of goes with that old cadence, "don't let your dingle dangle dangle in the dirt..."
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Naked women in the changing room. There was a woman in the locker right next to me the other day and she was putting lotion all over her body next to me. I mean there is a time and a place for the lotion people!

Yes. A time and a place. A time...like after a shower. A place...like in a locker room.

Ok. Some people have a problem with me not liking the nakedness or the lotion. There, now you know. Some people don't like the nakedness or the lotion. I said it. Ok. I'm not the only one. There are others. We wear bracelets

Are you one of those people that brings all of your stuff to the shower with you and takes 15 minutes getting dressed, all the way to your shoes and jewelry, in the privacy of the shower while the rest of us are waiting in line?

Because there's my gym annoyance.

No. I hate that too. I just don't want women naked around me or talking to me while they are naked. There is nothing wrong with that. My new gym annoyance are women that have a problem with me having a problem with their nakedness :)

HOW did you make it through junior high and high school? We didnt even have shower curtains in our locker rooms.

I'm not annoyed with your or anything. It's something more like pity. Like...oh wow? That must suck...having to feel uncomfortable with very basic societal norms.

Societal norms include parading around in front of strangers completely naked and having extended conversations while in that state of undress?

I was in the Army and lived in military barracks that entire time. Most of us kept a towel wrapped around us when not in the shower... I never found it "normal" or fun trying to have a conversation with some dude standing next to me fully naked with his junk eye level as I'm putting my socks on or tying my shoes.

Speaking of junior and high school... there were a LOT of kids there that wouldn't take a shower because of embarrassment at having to undress in front of their classmates. I remember them. They would just change, without showering... and it wasn't just a couple of them.

I'm sure there's different levels of what is acceptable to different people. But if I'm at my locker and someone else is 2 feet away, completely nude, applying lotion and generally minding their own business... it doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm STILL in the army. We didn't have shower curtains in our showers several of the places I've lived. We would chat and go about our business in various forms of undress. As ladies, we shared a bathroom with another company, so there would be women in there that I hardly knew. Everyone just carried on as adults. I do agree that it is not a societal norm to stand and face someone will full frontal nudity and make eye contact and have a whole conversation.

But...generally speaking, I don't get the issues with nudity. Especially when people are just minding their own business. You can get butt hurt about it if you want... I don't see what the big deal is. Then again, I don't get wound up about all that much.

I was in the Army, too, and spent a number of years showering without privacy. So nudity doesn't bother me, but still, I think the locker room and showers should be about changing/showering and then exiting the area. I think people who just stand there naked for long periods of time socializing without progressing to get dressed are getting some sort of enjoyment about it and it is creepy.

I've literally never met these people you speak of. Well I have, but on nude beaches where you'd expect that sort of thing (not my lifestyle, just a film shoot).

People that dry their hair with no shirt on? Sure. People who apply lotion in the nude? Yep. People who pull their pants on while asking me how the traffic was on my way in? Indeed. But not people who socialize for long periods while naked. Everyone is pretty much on a mission.

If you go to your local community rec center I think you will find that there is no shortage of naked elderly men milling around the locker room who are absolutely not on any type of mission.

Those guys don't really bother me. They can't see anything anyway.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill and someone gets the treadmill next to me when there is a plethora of empty treadmills available! Why?? Just, why? I literally stop my run, wipe the machine and move to the opposite end of the line of treadmills.
    I do not have the patience.

Some people get in the habit of using one bench or treadmill or whatever when they go to the gym. I do know that on different cardio machines, for the same workout, I will get different results. Maybe the person likes to get on the same machine all the time because he/she thinks it's accurate?
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Options
    Damn! I'm on a roll. This is what happens when you have a few min a day to check FMP at work. LOL
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    when other members use the equipment and walk away and don't even wipe it down...oh and they don't re-rack the weights. I care about the equipment I use and I respect it....just wish other would do the same..that;s my only issue at times.
  • reesejenks520
    reesejenks520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kwph wrote: »
    wanna talk about the Super Bowl while they're naked ....U didn't even break a sweat! What are u bathing???

lmao.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Today a couple came to the gym and did the following. We are a very small gym and there isn't much space. Not a ton of equipment: 1 rowing machine, 4 bikes, 4 ellipticals, 5 treadmills, 1 power rack, 1 cable machine. No Olympic lifting equipment.

They took both Olympic bars and we're doing snatches. They set up in front of the cable machine rendering it useless. They were also using 1 of the 3 benches. Because they were using the bars, the power rack was also unavailable because of no bars. They were also going back and forth to the treadmills and rowing machine.

Jesus, just do 1 thing at a time. 2 people shouldn't take up 1/2 of the gym. I see this a lot and it drives me nuts. If you want a group workout switch off doing one thing or at the most alternate between 2 things.