Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill and someone gets the treadmill next to me when there is a plethora of empty treadmills available! Why?? Just, why? I literally stop my run, wipe the machine and move to the opposite end of the line of treadmills.
    I do not have the patience.

Some people get in the habit of using one bench or treadmill or whatever when they go to the gym. I do know that on different cardio machines, for the same workout, I will get different results. Maybe the person likes to get on the same machine all the time because he/she thinks it's accurate?

I'm going to be honest, that sounds like the absolute worse excuse to me but, that is another way to look at it. Nonetheless, it's still uncomfortable when someone does this. I'm pretty sure it's gym etiquette to leave a machine between you and another person (unless filled then it is totally fine). I really don't care if someone prefers a certain machine. It's not like all the other machines are broken or garbage. But, that's just me. I suppose that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill and someone gets the treadmill next to me when there is a plethora of empty treadmills available! Why?? Just, why? I literally stop my run, wipe the machine and move to the opposite end of the line of treadmills.

Some people get in the habit of using one bench or treadmill or whatever when they go to the gym. I do know that on different cardio machines, for the same workout, I will get different results. Maybe the person likes to get on the same machine all the time because he/she thinks it's accurate?

I'm going to be honest, that sounds like the absolute worse excuse to me but, that is another way to look at it. Nonetheless, it's still uncomfortable when someone does this. I'm pretty sure it's gym etiquette to leave a machine between you and another person (unless filled then it is totally fine). I really don't care if someone prefers a certain machine. It's not like all the other machines are broken or garbage. But, that's just me. I suppose that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym.

I have Aspergers and will always try and use the same rowing machine/treadmill/squat rack/ locker to the point where i panic slightly if someone else is using them. So now I have to stress if someone is using the one next to my usual as well as the one I like to use. Good job everyone at my gym knows and understands I'm a bit weird and isn't all judgemental
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    edited July 2017
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

I have Aspergers and will always try and use the same rowing machine/treadmill/squat rack/ locker to the point where i panic slightly if someone else is using them. So now I have to stress if someone is using the one next to my usual as well as the one I like to use. Good job everyone at my gym knows and understands I'm a bit weird and isn't all judgemental

You go to a great gym; glad everyone is aware and is able to accommodate. However, I don't have that luxury to randomly know if someone has Aspergers or something of that nature. The point I want to emphasise is that this is a public gym, people are going to do what they want no matter the inconvenience. People are going to use machines whether they are aware of your disorder or not. I'm not trying to sound rude but, realistic. I'm sorry you have to stress when this happens, I have a really good friend with Aspergers and he feels the same way when it comes to sitting at our favourite restaurant; so, I get it. Thanks for sharing.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    edited July 2017
    Options

You go to a great gym; glad everyone is aware and is able to accommodate. However, I don't have that luxury to randomly know if someone has Aspergers or something of that nature. Good for you.

So maybe you should be a little more tolerant of those around you, after all ASD is not the only invisible disability and they're called invisible for a reason.

Lady, as I said, that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym. Please read my edited comment. You're sounding delusional.
  • 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sit on a machine and talk on the phone
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    But...generally speaking, I don't get the issues with nudity. Especially when people are just minding their own business. You can get butt hurt about it if you want... I don't see what the big deal is. Then again, I don't get wound up about all that much.

I don't understand being weird about nudity, either. It's the natural state of the human body. I walk around naked all of the time and only "warn" my 13 year old son that I'm "coming through the house naked" just in case he has some weird, teen issues that I'll need to correct.

But locker rooms are FOR being nude. And from what I've noted, the people most likely to stay nude/be the most nude are the much older ladies who give zero *kittens* what anyone thinks. And I think that's awesome. I mean... if a person is sensitive to nude bodies, why are they in a locker room??

The talking I totally get. Not because of the nudity, just the socializing is annoying.

I don't have an issue with nudity just the trying to have a conversation with me while you are nude. I don't want to have to look or not look at your hairy nipples or hairy bush thank you very much. And no I really don't get walking around nude. I mean you don't need to walk around nude. I barely have to walk around nude at home. It's just not neccessary.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    People who don't put deorderant on before coming in :s

I know. If I remember correctly, the guy I trained with never did.
  • bellyfringe
    bellyfringe Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Cardio Coughers. Getting on whatever machine and coughing and coughing and clearing your throat. It's not a sick cough. (Although I have seen that as well) Its Cardio coughing to catch more air. Drives me nuts.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Eh, this is pretty much it. If there are 10 treadmills in a row, then you get on whichever one you want, for whatever reason you choose. I know that there's a loose gym etiquette expectation that you shouldn't choose the one directly next to someone else, and all other things being equal, I guess that's fair, but the thing is, all other things AREN'T equal. It's silly to expect everyone else to follow your personal space preferences when their favorite treadmill is available and just happens to be next to you.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

Eh, this is pretty much it. If there are 10 treadmills in a row, then you get on whichever one you want, for whatever reason you choose. I know that there's a loose gym etiquette expectation that you shouldn't choose the one directly next to someone else, and all other things being equal, I guess that's fair, but the thing is, all other things AREN'T equal. It's silly to expect everyone else to follow your personal space preferences when their favorite treadmill is available and just happens to be next to you.

And if you've used a gym for a couple weeks or more, you know that some of the treadmills/ellipticals are a little more sketchy.
  • JeepHair77
    Options

And if you've used a gym for a couple weeks or more, you know that some of the treadmills/ellipticals are a little more sketchy.

Exactly. Even if they're all the same age/model, there's always one or two that just don't feel right. The buttons don't work as well, or the belt feels funky. Maybe one has a sticky ledge where your magazine goes or maybe there's one that you were on during your BEST RUN EVER and it feels lucky so that's the one you use. Whatever your reasons, they're at least as valid as someone else's preference for personal space.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    Options

I never said I expected everyone to follow my personal space preferences. I said it was part of gym etiquette. And I pretty much agreed with you?? Things aren't equal hence why I said that that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym. So, don't expect anyone to exactly do what you want them to do because it is 'public'. Sigh.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    Options

And again, if there is a whole clear row of treadmills they all must be inaccurate, right? I fully understand that some treadmills are sketchy, that happens. You can have your preference as to which you would like but, that sounds a tad unreasonable to me. But, like I said in my previous posts (somewhere), I don't mind moving in order to continue my workout. A person can pick the more 'trusted' treadmill and I really don't mind getting out of the way for them to do so.
  • JeepHair77
    Options

I never said I expected everyone to follow my personal space preferences. I said it was part of gym etiquette. And I pretty much agreed with you?? Things aren't equal hence why I said that that's the deal you make when you go to a public gym. So, don't expect anyone to exactly do what you want them to do because it is 'public'. Sigh.

Maybe this is or isn't a significant disagreement, since we both agree with your last line, but I'm not sure that this "gym etiquette" is as universal as you think it is, or that it should be, and it doesn't matter much if none of "the other machines are broken or garbage."
  • TominTorrance
    TominTorrance Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Guys in man bra's
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    Options

Maybe this is or isn't a significant disagreement, since we both agree with your last line, but I'm not sure that this "gym etiquette" is as universal as you think it is, or that it should be, and it doesn't matter much if none of "the other machines are broken or garbage."

Really? Look, you and a bunch of people are blowing this out of proportion. I've been in numerous gyms around the country (and out of the country) and this rule has been followed, if not, so what? As I said, I move or finish up so I can continue my workout.
  • kristenmaure
    kristenmaure Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is why I stopped going to the gym and found my own workout space at home/outside. I couldn't stand the sweat, the disregard for personal space & the fact that some people don't take showers and smell like garbage.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    Options

Exactly. Even if they're all the same age/model, there's always one or two that just don't feel right. The buttons don't work as well, or the belt feels funky. Maybe one has a sticky ledge where your magazine goes or maybe there's one that you were on during your BEST RUN EVER and it feels lucky so that's the one you use. Whatever your reasons, they're at least as valid as someone else's preference for personal space.

Wow, considering this is an opinionated thread, I can't share my opinion because it isn't valid in your eyes? The world must be a tough place for you.