Metabolism help needed. $$$ money is on the line $$$

Options
123457»

Replies

• JakeL1981
    JakeL1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss , they sure have. Calorie deficit is all i need. I don't work out, don't care about working out. Burn more than you stuff in your face, pretty easy concept. You showed me light early on and it works.

Calorie deficit is all this guy needs.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say GREAT JOB! Money or not, this is definitely bragging right with your coworker heh. And good job for busting thru your plateau.
  • JakeL1981
    JakeL1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have consistently lost weight almost daily with the calorie deficit approach. I still have a long way to go but im committed and will continue pushing. I should be very close to my 40 lb milestone at tomorrow's weigh in. If not ill get it the next week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I would suggest if the contest is over that you might want to start giving consideration to WHAT the weight is you are losing.

True, that could be some fat as expected and some water weight - because you realize that wasn't all fat, right.

The problem is your typical diet with no resistance training to tell the body to keep the muscles - will lose muscle.

You have lost muscle with your fast loss rate, no way around it.

You'll regret that later, and likely sooner.

That's how people end up skinny fat - smaller versions of fatter selves, still fat areas where they don't want them.
  • s54729
    s54729 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    JakeL1981 wrote: »
    Not looking for a product to use for metabolism rate increase looking to see if there are any techniques for men. What's foods help increase rate, how much water do i need to be consuming, is there a higher rate combo of when i should eat before working out or after, eat this kind of breakfast, do not eat anything after this time, general parameters or guidance for a better performing metabolism.

Jake, try eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. That is supposed to keep the metabolism fired up longer, since your body is constantly burning food. There are lots of articles on the benefits of Grazing.
    You do have to plan ahead since you're eating every 2-2.5 hours. If you don't prep some of your meals, you spend a lot of your day prepping each meal.
    So 1950 calories/6 meals = 325 calories per meal. /5 meals = 390 calories.
    It's not easy, but it's not that hard either. Just think of it eating a meal in two course with a 2 hour gap in between.
    I just started doing this a week ago, i one thing i can tell you is that i am Not hungry.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    s54729 wrote: »
    Not looking for a product to use for metabolism rate increase looking to see if there are any techniques for men. What's foods help increase rate, how much water do i need to be consuming, is there a higher rate combo of when i should eat before working out or after, eat this kind of breakfast, do not eat anything after this time, general parameters or guidance for a better performing metabolism.

Jake, try eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. That is supposed to keep the metabolism fired up longer, since your body is constantly burning food. There are lots of articles on the benefits of Grazing.
    You do have to plan ahead since you're eating every 2-2.5 hours. If you don't prep some of your meals, you spend a lot of your day prepping each meal.
    It's not easy, but it's not that hard either. Just think of it eating a meal in two course with a 2 hour gap in between.
    I just started doing this a week ago, i one thing i can tell you is that i am Not hungry.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Only total weekly calories matter. Some people choose not to eat for 16 hours a day and eat all their calories within 6 hours.

If your metabolism needed fired up you'd be dead. That's just something people made up to sell you something.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    s54729 wrote: »

There is not speeding up of metabolism through frequent meals. This has been extensively studies, and has been solidly disproven. Basically the theory was because of the thermic effect of food, that is, the energy needed to digest it, if a person ate a bunch of small meals a day, there would be an overall increase that effect, thus an increase in metabolism. When studied, that did not show up because what they found was that thermic effect of food is directly proportional to the size of ones meal. So when a person eats a small meal, the increase is small and for a shorter period of time. When they eat a large meal it is proportionally larger and lasts longer. The overall effect through the day if a person eat the same amount of calories is the same. Thus, there is not metabolism speed up from frequent small meals. Instead, the important factor is how many calories overall a person eats.

That means in practical terms, one's eating pattern should be the one that leaves them, as and individual, most satisfied and more easily able to comply with their calorie goal. For some, that is few small meals. For others, it is small frequent meals.

Sadly, this advice that everyone must eat small frequent meals to boost their metabolism is one of those things that keeps being trotted out even when the research evidence is simply not there to support it, and actually disproves it.
  • joannamarshall
    joannamarshall Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've got a similar competition going with my sister (not quite £100 though)
    I don't need to lose as much as her, but I'm hoping that money will motivate her a bit more.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Contest is over next week on Wednesday. I believe the Challenger was trying to workout at home and eat less.

I don't work out. Straight up, calorie deficit for the win.

Am I mistaken? I thought you started out with a fairly intensive workout workout plan?

Yeah, from OP:
    I have access to a rowing machine and a stationary bike at my office that started using on Thursday and Friday. I am going to put at least 30 minutes of hard work in on those two machines every day before i head home Monday through Friday. Ill also do 30 minutes of cardio at home on Saturday and Sunday to keep the extra burn going

So, I'm not sure what happened here.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Contest is over next week on Wednesday. I believe the Challenger was trying to workout at home and eat less.

I don't work out. Straight up, calorie deficit for the win.

Am I mistaken? I thought you started out with a fairly intensive workout workout plan?

Yeah, from OP:
    I have access to a rowing machine and a stationary bike at my office that started using on Thursday and Friday. I am going to put at least 30 minutes of hard work in on those two machines every day before i head home Monday through Friday. Ill also do 30 minutes of cardio at home on Saturday and Sunday to keep the extra burn going

So, I'm not sure what happened here.

It would appear the OP is an all or nothing kind of guy.

OP, now that you've shed a fair amount of your pounds and the bet is out of the way, you may want to give that equipment a second look. We don't need the exercise for weight loss, but it can sure improve our quality of life. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Well done, keep going :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ok here it is. Final weight loss challenge update. This thread has been like the walking dead show. I can't stop watching it now, but i can't wait for it to be over.

Since nobody ever reads back enough and only cares about their own long *kitten* post here is one from me.

I started off on January first weighing 321. Im now at 281. I still have a lot of straight up fat to lose. I am also super busy monday through Friday running my own business which is in the construction industry. i am not exactly turning into a marshmallow behind a desk. I start my day at 6am and do not get home untill between 6 pm and 8 pm most days and my kids are practically standing and waiting in the doorway for me to get home. They come flying outside to meet me when i pull in. Its a great feeling. I ask them to wait another 15 minutes for me to eat dinner and then ill spend all the time with them while there is still daylight and before bedtime. Weekends are busy with family stuff. No marshmallow time.

I am not interested or concerned at all with working out at this point. Maybe when i lose another 40 pounds of fat ill be ready for some muscle building. That's not my priority right now.

I do not care at all about my metabolism. That care went away practically the first day of this thread. My metabolism works fine as it is. Im averaging a 1/2 pound a day loss for the year so far. My calorie deficit it going great and my body is doing a fine job of eating away the old DFB.

I lost 8 lbs since my last check in and weighed in at 281 this morning. I lost a total of 25 lbs during our challenge and hit the 40 lb milestone this morning.

Challenger lost 2 pounds this week and a grand total of 3 pounds during the challenge.

I am assuming he was planning on a better performance since he was the one that suggested the $100 weigh loss challenge to help motivate each other to stay focused. I was going to do this regardless of the challenge and or money. I viewed it as a bonus not the reason.

I am very happy with my 25 lbs lost over the last 2 months and I will not have a problem with accepting the $100 this Wednesday either.

You have done a great job! Congratulations :)

Personally, my comments about your exercise were based on the mistaken belief you were at a desk job. Your original post referenced having workout equipment available at your office, so I was envisioning you as being at a desk normally. Also, it seemed like you went from being determined to overdo it with exercise to not doing anything at all. But it sounds like you are an active person, which is great! This is a long process- lifelong, if we do it right- and I wish you well in it. :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nice update. Congrats to you. Perhaps your coworker will keep going and both you guys can be motivated for one another. Construction is hard work. Especially dealing with PITA buyer's (heh). And yes, the kiddos will run flying out the door to greet papa. Great priorities.
  • jenniferjackson1
    jenniferjackson1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone says this many meals a day is myth but that is how I lost over 100 pounds twelve years ago. I went back to only eating once or twice a day and gained back 70 so now I am starting over. It doesn't help I went from a job where I had to keep up my weight for appearance (I was a counselor) to working for my Dad in a diner. I had tried the calorie counting thing time and time again but when I broke it down to where I was eating every three to four hours I made progress. It could have been because I personally didn't feel deprived and wasn't hungry all of the time doing it that way.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Everyone says this many meals a day is myth but that is how I lost over 100 pounds twelve years ago. I went back to only eating once or twice a day and gained back 70 so now I am starting over. It doesn't help I went from a job where I had to keep up my weight for appearance (I was a counselor) to working for my Dad in a diner. I had tried the calorie counting thing time and time again but when I broke it down to where I was eating every three to four hours I made progress. It could have been because I personally didn't feel deprived and wasn't hungry all of the time doing it that way.

It's a myth that it's REQUIRED or BEST to lose weight with. That's the way the above post expressed it.

It may be best for you - and in your case - perhaps - though again you changed a couple of variables around so hard to point to one and say that was the issue.

You gained the weight back because you ate more than you burned - end of story.

If you did that because you ate fewer bigger meals, it could also have been accomplished eating more frequent bigger meals.

Some people that get spiked insulin after eating, and then resulting low blood sugar making them feel hungrier than they really are - don't benefit from frequent eating - they always feel hungry.

And there is actually a disadvantage to the body and insulin response by eating too frequently - especially if body is already going in direction of problems with carbs and insulin, pre-diabetic.
    Studies have actually shown improvements to that by the intermittent fasting method, only eating during a 4-8 hr window only, fasting rest of the time (8 hrs is sleeping, so .....).
    But if neither one helps you adhere to eating goal - both don't matter.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you'll be using a rowing machine... I can offer this: http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/rowing-machine-mistakes/

I've found it very helpful in correcting technique.