Why is my weight loss unsuccessful

Options

Replies

• mokum71
    mokum71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal was 80 pounds as well. It took a month before I actually started loosing weight, in the end the full 42 kilo took 9 months. But that was really strict (1200kcal) plus 3 times swimming a week and 2 hours walking each week. Just keep going, don't expect wonders in the beginning, just be strict and it will work. Good luck!
  • sadeelisha86
    sadeelisha86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi OP
    I'm in the same boat. I started earing clean and doing daily hiit sessions 4 weeks ago. After 2 weeks, I'd lost 5lb , which I was pleased with. 3rd week I stayed the same, and today I weighed of see I've gained 3lb.
    I'm trying not to let it faze me. As someone said, unless there's something medically wrong , this won't continue, and the fat will start dropping off soon.
    That being said, I'm giving it another 2 weeks amd if I still haven't lost anything (I have 48lb I want to lose, and I'm 5ft 1), then I'm going to sign up to the body coach. I've been following his hiit workouts on YouTube and Facebook but his actual plan tells you what to eat and when, specifically to you. Have a look at the transformations on his website, they're incredible (but realistic)
    Stick at it !
    I love this quote -
    "Don't put off doing something because of the time it will take. The time will pass anyway."
    Xx
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Ya all are really over complicating this, bottom line, the duration of her weight loss journey is not long enough for anything to really occur

Maybe, but, at the OP's height and weight, and if her diary logging had been very accurate then she should have lost weight even in just two weeks. Clearly it's not accurate given the chicken entries, no harm in getting in early and helping point out logging errors. Early intervention may help with later success.

Besides, someone may be lurking and reading and maybe further into their journey and not losing, they may see parallels with this thread and it may help them...

Really? Do you have a 100 bulletproof on that statement you just wrote ? Just because that happens to you, doesn't mean it happens to 100 % people,. If weightloss was a 2 week endeavor we'd all be walking around in bomb bodies

Gosh, wow, aggressive much? No I DON'T have a "100 bulletproof on that statement" whatever that might mean, and it hasn't happened to me, but, at just 5ft tall and weight 279 lbs, if the OP had been 100% accurate on her logging and therefore only eating about 800-900 calories a day AND doing an hour of cardio AND weight training, then in most cases there would have been a small change, even given periods, water retention etc. Goodness, sorry for trying to help!

I don't think it is necessarily true even for most cases. I have put on 6lb of water after heavy exercise before, that can easily mask even beginner losses for very heavy people. It seems quite common for people not to see a loss early on due to water retention. We generally say that if there are no results after 3 weeks to start looking for problems. 2 weeks is too soon to start worrying.

But I agree 1200 is low, OP, slower is generally better.
  • CarolynSullivan1
    CarolynSullivan1 Posts: 6,016 Member
    Options
    All of this is great advice. I was amazed about the muffin! I've never wt them, just went by the packaging.
    I would also suggest that you get your thyroid tested if you have not done this. It can be a serious problem and one of the reasons I had difficulty loosing wt.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    lots of useful comments. Great that you are working on your health and fitness, don't let this 'hiccup' get you down or tempt you to stop. It is almost always an error measuring both calories in, and calories burned. An accurate digital scale is essential, as is a good HRM (heart rate monitor) both are not too costly, (I have both) and will make a huge difference to your daily defecit maths. Also, be wary of eating back too many exercise calories. There is much debate over this, but in case of measuring errors I eat back 25% or less normally. Best of luck, David.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Something to think about - is it your thyroid?

Check out http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for information on how to find a thyroid doc who will listen to you and treat your symptoms not your blood tests; because if you are restricting calories and aren't losing weight, it could be your thyroid.

Also, other thoughts:

If you are on a low carbohydrate diet you have to get your energy from somewhere... How much good fat are you getting every day? I like some of the "Paleo" websites - they also have some great food ideas that restrict carbs and are full of healthy fats. If you are going to eat eggs eat all of them not just the white;

See: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/02/29/egg-yolk-benefits.aspx

Finally, I really like the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, (get a used paperback on Amazon for cheap) which is based on the Weston Price Foundation.

See: http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-nutrition/ for a lot of good information on how to eat clean, eat "traditional foods", lose weight and feel great.

Good luck and send me a friend request if you want.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would almost bet that after your cycle, you will start seeing results. For me, when it's that time of the month it would seem I gained five pounds but it's the water and bloating I retained. Stay positive and motivated. You will began seeing results,
  • chynaloveee1
    chynaloveee1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @trigden1991 I do weigh everything on the scale but as everyone pointed out to me I might be calculating it wrong. But thanks
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long enough to know. The only way to be sure it to weigh it, whatever "it" is. If you are logging everything, using the package sizes is close enough, you might be off some calories, but it wont be enough to stall you if you are doing everything else right. Lastly, OP I think I am seeing a little defensiveness in your responses, I haven't seen anything that would warrant that. If you want to succeed, be open to the possibility that you may be doing something wrong. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing for about 6-8 weeks and then reevaluate.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    At her weight, even with the inaccuracies she will see weight loss. She's eating too little anyway for her weight and exercise regimen:

Eating too little is not going to cause her to NOT lose, though.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss as for the chicken I weigh it on my food scale when it's done cooking ... should I do it raw?

I always weigh my chicken cooked. 4 oz of grilled chicken breast is 170 calories.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long enough to know. The only way to be sure it to weigh it, whatever "it" is. If you are logging everything, using the package sizes is close enough, you might be off some calories, but it wont be enough to stall you if you are doing everything else right. Lastly, OP I think I am seeing a little defensiveness in your responses, I haven't seen anything that would warrant that. If you want to succeed, be open to the possibility that you may be doing something wrong. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing for about 6-8 weeks and then reevaluate.

While her deficit might be a nice cushion now on the package errors, being aware of them and getting into the habit now is probably a good idea. Just like the picture i posted, the muffin says 1 muffin is 130 calories, however at a 77g weight, the muffin is 175 calories. And if all she ate that day was a muffin, 45 calories might not seem like a big deal.. but we also know she was logging her chicken wrong by 102 calories. sometimes she would eat that twice in the same day.. calories add up, small errors can make bigger errors bigger.. its important to know things now so that when her deficit is smaller and shes only got 250 calories between losing and maintenance that shes not eating her deficit.

That muffin is just as likely to be less as more. I mostly agree with you that as the deficit gets smaller the logging must be tighter, however, that is something everyone learns over time. OP is concerned as to why the scale isn't moving NOW, not sometime later as the deficit gets smaller. I like the idea of keeping it pretty simple in the beginning, but I don't disagree with you on the whole. I am more concerned with OP being defensive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been clean eating and working out for about 2 weeks but I see no changes. I stick to my diet religiously (egg whites for breakfast, 6oz of chicken, 5oz of veggies for dinner and lunch... drink only water and maybe a protein shake if I need it) ... I see a lot of people saying they see change fast and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I stick to my 1200 calorie diet with high protein and low (non) carbs. I also do an hour of cardio everyday plus weight training. What can I do to start seeing results?

What results? Have you lost any weight? It's only been two weeks...very often, people's expectations are pretty out of whack with reality.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
    Is the accurate, the only comprehensive and accurate database available.
    If you have frozen chicken and intend to cook it, search that database for "chicken, raw".
    You'll get a lot of choices. The one I use is

05039, Chicken, broilers or fryers, light meat, meat only, raw

I copy that from the USDA web site and paste it into the MFP food diary. I even sometimes double-check the mfp nutrition to see that it exactly matches the USDA site.

A neat feature of the USDA site is that you can change the serving size. If you weigh your breast and it's 251 grams, you can change the USDA serving size from 100 to 251 and all the values change to reflect the nutrition in the serving.

I keep tabs open on my browser for the USDA database and for convertunits.com, which is always useful.