Why is my weight loss unsuccessful

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    @misskarne those are the "recommended serving size. So if it says 16 crackers for 160 cals, then I'll count out 16 crackers, lol 1pkg is the packet my protein powder comes in (one packet per use) and the granola bars come 2 in a pack "2 bar"

Instead of going by the serving number (which is just an estimate), go by the weight listed next to the serving size. It should be there right next to the "12 crackers" or "1 slice". You'll see, by weighing everything (yes everything) that you eat, the numbers will he far mire accurate.

Weigh foods raw (meat, pasta, rice) as generally the nutrition information on the packaging is for raw.

Also, you've only been going for 2 weeks, just started exercise and are on your period. You need to give weight loss more than 2 weeks. You are retaining from your hormones as well as the exercise. Give changes at least 3 weeks.

Also? No need to "eat clean" for weight loss. Weight loss is all about eating less calories than you need to maintain your current weight (aka, eating less than your TDEE or total daily energy expenditure).

Why are you eating so little? At your height weight and age, you can lose weight eating more than 1200. You shouldn't aim to lose more than 2lbs per week.

Don't "spoon dry items" into cups. Cups and spoons are for liquids. For work lunches, prepare them at home or weigh your food at work.

Definitely this.

Give it more time. And in that time, work on your logging accuracy.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started with essentially the same stats as you, 5'1" tall 259lbs. The only thing I did was calculate my TDEE and start from there to lose 1lb per week. That's it 1 pound per week. I think when I started my TDEE was around 1700 calories that I could eat per day. I lost 6 pounds the first week. I didn't change what I ate too much, just how much of it I ate. I only started recently to exercise and that has been just walking. It seems to me you are biting off a big piece. I used to do it too. This time I have lost 33lbs so far. Its taken since last July of 2016 but its coming off, its just gonna take a while. I encourage you to start just as slow. In the beginning you won't have the satisfaction of fast results like you would with stricter dieting but it adds up and best of all its sustainable. The time will fly by and you will still be able to eat your yummy food and treats and as you lose weight and gain confidence you will tweak your diet and exercise and be able to lose even more. I hope you find what you are looking for and wish you all the best.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I never said it would, you did

You stated....
    She's eating too little anyway for her weight and exercise regimen

I commented...
    Eating too little is not going to cause her to NOT lose, though.

Project much?
  • Spiderwoman333
    Spiderwoman333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks. Give it time! A lot of times I have no weight change for weeks and then lose it all at once. Be patient and consistent.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Debating can happen without ad hominem comments getting thrown in.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Two weeks..... that's all.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    bjvbcuyna1pl.jpg
    recommended serving sizes are often never right

Look at this photo, the package says "1 muffin" but the gram weight is 20g LOWER then what the muffin actually weighs, making the calories in that muffin much higher then what is listed on the package.

I have to say, this is probably the best proof of advise that I seen on these threads. It is very informative without being attacking. I have always gone by suggested serving size and never even noticed the grams next to it. Going to be changing the way I log my food.

Calorie estimation is extremely difficult and carries an industry wide 20% margin of error. This is why the consistent answer to "Why am I not losing weight?" is "Look to your logging".

The problem is that many are not aware of this information.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the comments but it seems like you should go to the doctor and get a check up. Maybe there is a health issue that is preventing the weight from coming off. I have hypothyroidism and I know if my levels aren't right it is impossible for me to loose weight. It could be that or something else. I wish you much success.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    bjvbcuyna1pl.jpg
    recommended serving sizes are often never right

Look at this photo, the package says "1 muffin" but the gram weight is 20g LOWER then what the muffin actually weighs, making the calories in that muffin much higher then what is listed on the package.

I have to say, this is probably the best proof of advise that I seen on these threads. It is very informative without being attacking. I have always gone by suggested serving size and never even noticed the grams next to it. Going to be changing the way I log my food.

Calorie estimation is extremely difficult and carries an industry wide 20% margin of error. This is why the consistent answer to "Why am I not losing weight?" is "Look to your logging".

The problem is that many are not aware of this information.

I weight out most of my foods but I never really thought about weighing out the slice of bread I have every morning because the package tells me everything. Granted, I have pretty big deficits so a few hundred calories will not make a huge difference in my loss right now, it is great information to make sure I am being more accurate, especially when I get closer to my goal weight.