Is it healthy to completely cut out carbs from my diet?

Options
I eat a lot of carbs. Like white bread, potatoes, white rice, pasta.

Would it be a problem to completely cut out carbs from my diet for 1-2 weeks?
With the exception of having ready break in the morning for breakfast. And just have a diet of fruit, veg and protein?

I've read here that starchy food can contribute to weight gain and I want to cut it out together with high sugar foods (like cakes and biscuits) for a couple of weeks.

Would this be a good idea?
Has anyone tried cutting down on carbs?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Lara_z wrote: »
    Would it be a problem to completely cut out carbs from my diet for 1-2 weeks?
    With the exception of having ready break in the morning for breakfast. And just have a diet of fruit, veg ...

Fruit and veg are carbs.

I'd recommend taking a nutrition class at your local college or through your local community classes. Have a look ... your area might have something interesting and informative on offer. :)

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How about just switching from white bread to wholemeal and wholegrain, limiting to a slice or 2 a day. Instead of white rice have brown rice. Change from white pasta to wholemeal.
    Cut out most processed foods and replace with fresh.

Just cutting out carbs (or greatly reducing as your education on carbs is limited) for a few weeks and then returning to your normal diet will result in weight loss (mainly water) followed by weight gain, often more than you lost. You are much better off finding a healthy balanced nutrition plan that you can stick with long term.
  • Lillymoo01
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As for "is it healthy" I have been less than 20g carbs per day for 4 years and according to my doctor and bloodwork I have never been healthier.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. What works well for one person won't for another. I am not say that a LCHF diet is bad but it isn't the only one to get success. The trick is to find a meal plan that is heathly, provides all of your nutritional needs and that you can stick with. From whay I have read, as long as you keep up with the required amount of protein the fat/carb ratio doesn't make a huge amount of difference long term.

That being said, I think we can all agree that cutting out carbs COMPLETELY is a recipe for disaster.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    As for "is it healthy" I have been less than 20g carbs per day for 4 years and according to my doctor and bloodwork I have never been healthier.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. What works well for one person won't for another. I am not say that a LCHF diet is bad but it isn't the only one to get success. The trick is to find a meal plan that is heathly, provides all of your nutritional needs and that you can stick with. From whay I have read, as long as you keep up with the required amount of protein the fat/carb ratio doesn't make a huge amount of difference long term.

That being said, I think we can all agree that cutting out carbs COMPLETELY is a recipe for disaster.

Actually no, we don't all agree. But thank you for assuming other people's experience and opinion. *golf clap*
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No. It's not.
  • lcrivas4jc
    lcrivas4jc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to completely cut out carbs. That said, there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, unlike protein and fat. Check out the ketogenic lifestyle. Don't believe conventional medical advice about what a healthy diet consists of. Most doctors have less than eight hours of nutritional instruction! Also check out Ancel Keys and his completely flawed study (he blatantly lied and skewed the data) back in the 50s, which our government bought hook and sinker and has been shoving down our throats ever since (https://authoritynutrition.com/modern-nutrition-policy-lies-bad-science/). There used to be a really good video about Ancel Keys on Youtube but I have been unable to find it for several months. Ever since his "findings" were published, we've been told to cut the fat and up our consumption of whole grains.

The current American food pyramid should be turned upside down with the grains section deleted. Of course you can lose weight on a lowfat diet but it won't last long and it definitely won't make you healthy. The other thing about the keto lifestyle is that food cravings are dramatically diminished!

I've been eating 25-30 carbs per day for a while and my blood sugars (previously in the low 200s almost immediately went to an average of 80-90.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    So @EbonyDahlia you don't agree that having vegetables everyday is essential? Strange when that should be close to 50% of our diet. That astounds me, unless you are not knowledgeable enough to realise that vegetables have carbs.

Carbs are not an essential nutrient, therefore vegetables are not essential. Vegetables can certainly contribute to a healthy diet but they are by no means needed. There are actually quite a few carnivores and almost zero carbers on MFP who are thriving without plant matter in their diets. As long as you eat quality animal products, it is not difficult to maintain excellent health without plants in one's diet.

I don't think you will find any dietitian agreeing with you there. There is no way you can meet you essential micro nutritions without vegetables in your diet without the need for supplements. I stand corrected though. Some are crazy enough to believe that a carb free diet is healthy but they would be wrong. Still trying to work out how you can have a totally carb free diet at any rate.