Is it healthy to completely cut out carbs from my diet?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    So Ebony you don't agree that having vegetables everyday is essential? Strange when that should be close to 50% of our diet. That astounds me, unless you are not knowledgeable enough to realise that vegetables have carbs.

Actually, no, having vegetables every day is not essential. Or even required. You can be extremely healthy on fat and protein alone. Do some research.

Now that you have cut out vegetables you now have to cut out all dairy and all nuts because they too contain carbs. You have cut out pretty much all foods except meat to have a zero carb diet. Please show me scientific research stating that this is healthy or even comes close to having optimal health.

I was going to ask about that - don't cheese and tzatziki and whipped cream (having read that up-thread) have carbs? minimal, but carbs nonetheless?

About 50/50 with carbs verses protein for some dairy. The 50 grams of Greek yoghurt I had with breakfast this morning was 3 gms of carbs and 2.9 grams protein. My half a cup of milk had 6.2 grams of carbs and 4.1 grams of protein. Cream is about the same ratio. On the flip side cheese only has protein and butter has no protein or carbs.

So you can now have a diet consisting of meat, cheese and butter.

You can survive on a diet free of fruit and vegetables and all other food sources except what comes from animals but you could not be close to optimum health and there is no way you would be reaching your daily nutritional requirements. I know you can get some vitamin C from raw meat but there is no way you would get enough to meet your daily requirements.

I can understand a low carb diet and its benefits but a diet that removes the majority of food groups so you can be nearly carb free is just plain crazy and anyone that thinks this is a way to go needs a serious talk with a dietitian.

These are assumptions. You really can get enough nutrients if if you eat quality animal products. People are doing it, and many people did it in the past.

Steffanson (sp?) lived with Inuit for years and when he returned the medical community did not want to believe the Inuit were healthy on a mainly carnivorous diet. To prove his point he lived in a hospital ward for months so they could supervise him, and his health, on an Inuit diet. He eventually proved his point.

He wrote The Fat of the Land about his experiences.

Look into it a bit deeper and you come across articles like this which show that the Inuits diet is not as low carb as believed and their rates of heart disease are actually higher than reported.

The Inuit

Well known to consume significant amounts of whale and seal meat frequently, the Inuit are commonly construed to be heart disease-free. Is this another outlier to much of the other observational research finding low processed food, low animal, high plant diets to be associated with low heart disease death rates?

Some small studies do show that the Inuit eat a relatively lower carbohydrate diet. One study in Greenland in 1976[4] found they consumed about 37% of calories from carbohydrate. Other surveys of native populations found them to consume anywhere from 8 to 53% carbohydrate, the 53% number being noted in populations in the late 1930s. 53%, by the way, is more than was found to be consumed in Denmark in 1972(cited in 4). Certainly significant amounts of bread and sugar were consumed as long ago as 40-50 years ago, at least as documented by trading post activity[4].

What about their risk of heart disease? It turns out to be a myth so often repeated it just became an unsupported truth. A 2003 paper[5] published by a highly experienced, highly published scientist at the National Institute of Public Health in Greenland, written with his colleagues from Canada, documents many autopsy studies and clinical observations and studies proving that heart disease existed among the Inuit. In fact, in 1940 the “father of epidemiology” in Greenland, Bertelsen, noted heart disease to be quite common, perhaps even more interesting given the young age of the population. He based this on clinical experience and medical officer reports going back for many decades(cited in 5). All told, the 2003 paper found “the hypothesis that mortality from ischemic heart disease is low among the Inuit compared with western populations insufficiently founded.” Further, “…a general statement that mortality from cardiovascular disease is high among the Inuit seems more warranted than the opposite.”[5]

In addition, it has been found that bone health among the Inuit was quite bad. A 1974 study[6] found, “Aging bone loss, which occurs in many populations, has an earlier onset and greater intensity in the Eskimos. Nutrition factors of high protein, high nitrogen, high phosphorus, and low calcium intakes may be implicated.”

http://nutritionstudies.org/masai-and-inuit-high-protein-diets-a-closer-look/

It is possible, but this article is about the Inuit after they started eating western carbs: bread and sugar. People like Steffanson lived with the inuit and adopted their lifestyle. He didn't study them after they adopted our lifestyle.

If you have ever been to Canada's arctic, you will know that the people there could not have been eating many plants. There just isn't much up there. I would guess that they would sometimes be at the higher end up a low carb diet if they came across some berries or roots they wanted to eat, but the article suggests the inuit eat up to 53% carbs - that is goofy. There is no way that could happen unless they were eating imported western foods. Sine it was only 40-50 years ago that they cited that stat, western food influence is probable.

Looking at rates of heart disease after their dietary change will just show how the introduction of western foods affected them. The Inuit do not do well with higher carbs. They appear to do worse with it than most people.

You'll need to find research, like Steffanson's or earlier, that goes back to before they ate western food to try to prove their ancestoral diet resulted in poor health. From the accounts of first contact that I have seen, Canada's First Nations peoples were robust, tall, long lived and healthy.

My point in this is not that carbs are bad. Veggies and some fruit seem to be quite healthful for the majority. My point is that you don't NEED plants to live healthfully. Just like vegetarians don't NEED meat to live healthfully. I'm NOT saying people SHOULD stop eating plants but that it can be a dietary option. People have done it in their ancesteral diets (are there any vegetarian ancestoral diets?) and people are still doing it today.

The idea of eating no "wholesome fruits and veggies" just seems to get some backlash still... At least the old myth that people need grains to live is finally dying down.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I would say people have been vegetarian/vegan in India for a few thousand years. Does that qualify as "ancestral"?

Eating no wholesome fruits and veggies gets backlash because, generally, the average North American would be more healthy if they ate more fruits and veggies (and less crap).
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well...as others have said fruits and vegetables are carbs. Carbs are NECESSARY NUTRITIONAL ELEMENTS.

Cutting them completely out is a bad idea, just as it would to get rid of all fiber or Vitamin C in your diet.

The tricky thing about the human diet is that we are omnivores. We aren't koalas or panda bears in which you just give them eucalyptis or bamboo and that's that. Or even a dog in which one gets a good quality dog food and you're done.

Humans need a wide arrangement of food, nutritionally speaking. But the benefit was our adaptability. You get healthy diets in Inuit who eat a heavily meat based diet, or strict vegetarians in India. But all need carb sources of some kind.

The other questions is unless you had a specific dietary issue: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BAN A VARIETY OF FOOD? The only answer seems to be "it's hard". But unless you learn, you won't eat healthily. Yeah, pain in the neck but you'll be the better for it.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I would say people have been vegetarian/vegan in India for a few thousand years. Does that qualify as "ancestral"?

Eating no wholesome fruits and veggies gets backlash because, generally, the average North American would be more healthy if they ate more fruits and veggies (and less crap).

India could work if we look at their diet from before western contact... That's quite a while back though.

I think the key dietary change for better health could be "less crap". The crap should be eliminated and replaced with something, and the something could be fruits and veggies; it could also be replaced with animal products.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Is it healthy to completely cut out carbs from my diet?

It's neither healthy nor unhealthy - depends how you do it - and might depend on your body makeup. It does require much more effort to tune the food balance, it's not just a jump in and eat less carbs for 2 weeks [that would be a bad experience]. There can be unwelcome side effects if not done correctly.

My scale tells me it's the right thing for me - lowest weight in 30 years [still more to lose]. My blood tests are totally normal,
  • hughiepie
    hughiepie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the vast majority of people "trying" to lose weight are still back in the seventies and reading questionable research. All one needs to read is "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung. It is not about calories in vs calories out. This has been proven to be a complete falsehood. If you eat more, your body boosts its metabolic rate to burn those extra calories. Ever notice how you sometimes feel really warm/hot after a big meal? That is your metabolism at work. As for carbohydrates, your body doesn't need them, it can manufacture all the sugar it needs. I challenge anyone here to name me one essential carbohydrate. The body requires essential amino acids (that's protein) and it requires essential fatty acids (that's fat), but there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. We also eat too often. 3 meals and 3 snacks per day is overkill and unnecessary. Try cutting out the least important meal of the day and the 3 snacks.
  • hughiepie
    hughiepie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    So @EbonyDahlia you don't agree that having vegetables everyday is essential? Strange when that should be close to 50% of our diet. That astounds me, unless you are not knowledgeable enough to realise that vegetables have carbs.

Carbs are not an essential nutrient, therefore vegetables are not essential. Vegetables can certainly contribute to a healthy diet but they are by no means needed. There are actually quite a few carnivores and almost zero carbers on MFP who are thriving without plant matter in their diets. As long as you eat quality animal products, it is not difficult to maintain excellent health without plants in one's diet.

Terrible advice and one to avoid.

Vitamins
    Minerals
    Phytonutrients
    Fiber

What do you suggest?
    Supplements?
    C'mon!

Any good cut of meat (especially eating a varied diet of meats) along with healthy fats from things like eggs and butter will provide all of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs to thrive.

Phytonutrients - a catch-phrase used by the health food gurus backed by lots of correlation studies that do not offer direct cause/results to justify needing them.

Fiber - needed only to clean out the residue of higher carb diets

Again, as has been posted before, carbs are not a required macro and the body can and does manufacture any glycogen that it needs from both protein and fat.

Still not advised.
    You'll be hard pressed to find an RD or RN who'd agree with the above statement.

I'm an RN and I do agree that carbs are not required, as do my two cardiologist friends and colleagues.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    hughiepie wrote: »
    So @EbonyDahlia you don't agree that having vegetables everyday is essential? Strange when that should be close to 50% of our diet. That astounds me, unless you are not knowledgeable enough to realise that vegetables have carbs.

Carbs are not an essential nutrient, therefore vegetables are not essential. Vegetables can certainly contribute to a healthy diet but they are by no means needed. There are actually quite a few carnivores and almost zero carbers on MFP who are thriving without plant matter in their diets. As long as you eat quality animal products, it is not difficult to maintain excellent health without plants in one's diet.

Terrible advice and one to avoid.

Vitamins
    Minerals
    Phytonutrients
    Fiber

What do you suggest?
    Supplements?
    C'mon!

Any good cut of meat (especially eating a varied diet of meats) along with healthy fats from things like eggs and butter will provide all of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs to thrive.

Phytonutrients - a catch-phrase used by the health food gurus backed by lots of correlation studies that do not offer direct cause/results to justify needing them.

Fiber - needed only to clean out the residue of higher carb diets

Again, as has been posted before, carbs are not a required macro and the body can and does manufacture any glycogen that it needs from both protein and fat.

Still not advised.
    You'll be hard pressed to find an RD or RN who'd agree with the above statement.

I'm an RN and I do agree that carbs are not required, as do my two cardiologist friends and colleagues.

So? I'd be much more interested in your real life experience with weight management. How many pounds have you lost? How many years have you been successfully maintaining your loss?

eta: my sister is an RN and is also obese and a smoker. Being a medical professional doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, when it comes to weight management and nutrition topics.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    ok, just for giggles, @Lillymoo01 (and just to clarify this conversation), please define 'optimum health' for us.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    ok, just for giggles, @Lillymoo01 (and just to clarify this conversation), please define 'optimum health' for us.

Where you are at your best physically and emotionally without being sick or rundown. Without adequate nutrition including all the required micro nutrients I can not see how this is even close to possible. Why you would get giggles from this is beyond me.
  • dawnflowers104
    dawnflowers104 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lcrivas4jc wrote: »
    It's impossible to completely cut out carbs. That said, there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, unlike protein and fat. Check out the ketogenic lifestyle. Don't believe conventional medical advice about what a healthy diet consists of. Most doctors have less than eight hours of nutritional instruction! Also check out Ancel Keys and his completely flawed study (he blatantly lied and skewed the data) back in the 50s, which our government bought hook and sinker and has been shoving down our throats ever since (https://authoritynutrition.com/modern-nutrition-policy-lies-bad-science/). There used to be a really good video about Ancel Keys on Youtube but I have been unable to find it for several months. Ever since his "findings" were published, we've been told to cut the fat and up our consumption of whole grains.

The current American food pyramid should be turned upside down with the grains section deleted. Of course you can lose weight on a lowfat diet but it won't last long and it definitely won't make you healthy. The other thing about the keto lifestyle is that food cravings are dramatically diminished!

I've been eating 25-30 carbs per day for a while and my blood sugars (previously in the low 200s almost immediately went to an average of 80-90.

Totally agree with you on the Ancel keys thing! There are SO many people that are uneducated about this fact. I teach this to my clients (I am a personal trainer). Question, do you exercise regularly? I have thought about trying the ketogenesis diet just to see if it could work for me to help cut body fat but I exercise alot and sweat alot so Im afraid to go that low with carbs.