Is it healthy to completely cut out carbs from my diet?

Options

Replies

• bhwalsh1
    bhwalsh1 Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'll be honest, I haven't read through all these posts so im sorry if i repeat something. Reducing carbs puts you into a state of Ketosyis, where you body burns fat instead of carbs as a source of fuel. I've actually just started my Keto diet today where I'm limiting myself to 100g of carbs a day for this week and then dropping down to around the 50-75g range. As long as you're getting enough calories and fats its actually not bad at all for you apart from when your body is adjusting to burning fats instead of carbs as fuel. You'll be sluggish and tired at first and then will start to gain energy when your body acclimatizes. I did a fair amount of research before starting my KETO.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent podcast interview for anyone wondering if they should cut carbs or not.

Enjoy!

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode165/

SNR #165: Kevin Hall, PhD – Testing the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model & a Response to Gary Taubes
  • bhwalsh1
    bhwalsh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ^side note i'm 205 lbs 6'0 and at 7% BF and have been an athlete my entire life. I hope that doesn't sound like i'm bragging, I just wanted to let you know you can even vigorously exercise on a low carb diet. I'll post an update in 2 weeks if anyone is wondering how it affects me. Switching from carbs to fat also increases the mitochondrial count in the brain, which increases neural connectivity. There is also no "time-limit" to be on a KETO diet, it's another, different, healthy lifestyle.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    So @EbonyDahlia you don't agree that having vegetables everyday is essential? Strange when that should be close to 50% of our diet. That astounds me, unless you are not knowledgeable enough to realise that vegetables have carbs.

Carbs are not an essential nutrient, therefore vegetables are not essential. Vegetables can certainly contribute to a healthy diet but they are by no means needed. There are actually quite a few carnivores and almost zero carbers on MFP who are thriving without plant matter in their diets. As long as you eat quality animal products, it is not difficult to maintain excellent health without plants in one's diet.

Terrible advice and one to avoid.

Vitamins
    Minerals
    Phytonutrients
    Fiber

What do you suggest?
    Supplements?
    C'mon!

Any good cut of meat (especially eating a varied diet of meats) along with healthy fats from things like eggs and butter will provide all of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs to thrive.

Phytonutrients - a catch-phrase used by the health food gurus backed by lots of correlation studies that do not offer direct cause/results to justify needing them.

Fiber - needed only to clean out the residue of higher carb diets

Again, as has been posted before, carbs are not a required macro and the body can and does manufacture any glycogen that it needs from both protein and fat.

Can you list off a week's worth of no carb meals? By "no carb" I mean no carb, not net carb, but absolutely zero carbs.

It's almost impossible to reach zero carb in the literal sense. There will be trace carbs no matter what.

I tried all animal as a challenge once, just out of curiosity if it would make me feel better. I lasted 2 or 3 weeks. I can't remember. I felt about the same. The only reason I stopped is because I don't enjoy eating meat as much as vegetables. I missed some veggies and nuts.

A usual day was eggs, bacon and coffee with whipped cream (I think I still used some coconut oil for the MCTs); tuna and tzaziki or meat and cheese for lunch; and meat and possibly cheese or eggs for dinner. My meat at dinner was usually beef or pork (we butcher our own) in the form of burgers, roasts, chops, sausages, but I sometimes had fish or shellfish, and very rarely had poultry. I think I had lamb curry once... I also had small servings of liver every week. I'm not a big liver fan but it's good for me so I'm trying to grow to enjoy it more. Trying.

So @EbonyDahlia you don't agree that having vegetables everyday is essential? Strange when that should be close to 50% of our diet. That astounds me, unless you are not knowledgeable enough to realise that vegetables have carbs.

Carbs are not an essential nutrient, therefore vegetables are not essential. Vegetables can certainly contribute to a healthy diet but they are by no means needed. There are actually quite a few carnivores and almost zero carbers on MFP who are thriving without plant matter in their diets. As long as you eat quality animal products, it is not difficult to maintain excellent health without plants in one's diet.

Terrible advice and one to avoid.

Vitamins
    Minerals
    Phytonutrients
    Fiber

What do you suggest?
    Supplements?
    C'mon!

As another responded, there is no need for supplementation. Fibre and phytonutrients are only needed to properly digest plants. It isn't needed for animal products. Vitamins and minerals are even more readily accessible in animal products than in plants so it's a non-issue there.

I did supplement with a few things but I have supplemented those for years. Nothing was changed when I went low carb, or "zero" carb.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

the macro carbs might not be needed but the micro vitamins sure are.

True. Thankfully the micros are also found in animal products so we can do fine with just animal products if we choose to do so.

I don't think you will find any dietitian agreeing with you there. There is no way you can meet you essential micro nutritions without vegetables in your diet without the need for supplements. I stand corrected though. Some are crazy enough to believe that a carb free diet is healthy but they would be wrong. Still trying to work out how you can have a totally carb free diet at any rate.

You're probably right. Most dietitians would probably, at first glance, agree that plants are needed for good health... They'd be wrong though.

If you think about it, it isn't that outlandish. There are multiple cultures that eat no plant matter, or very very little of it: Inuit, Masai, Canadian First Nations plains tribes are some. Thousands of people living healthfully for generation after generation on an almost entirely carnivorous diet.

I know a handful of people who eat this way now. Just meats, seafood, dairy, eggs, some offal, and a bit of seasoning. They feel great. Some of them have eaten this way for years.

I'm not saying plants are bad. I like veggies, that's why I eat them. I am saying that they are NOT needed for a healthy diet.

I imagine this is the type of disbelief that vegetarians faced 100 or so years ago...

I did read this article awhile ago which indicates that these cultures had more carbs than first believed and that no culture has spent time in permanent ketosis. Who knows what to believe though.
    https://chriskresser.com/7-things-everyone-should-know-about-low-carb-diets/

There are some good points in there. Those cultures were not in ketosis 100% of the time. TBH, most keto'ers are not in ketosis 100% of the time either. I know I'm not. I do try to stay in ketosis most of the time though because I feel better that way.

The one point from the article that I disagree with is that the high protein content of largely carnivorous diets kicked those people out of ketosis. They weren't eating high protein diets. They were still high fat diets. Those people are eating large mammals that are very fatty (bison, seals) so their protein was moderate. It is possible that the raw nature of the inuit diet provided enough carbs to prevent full time ketosis, but it isn't anything certain.

As a point of interest, one of the "carnivores" I know eats mainly beef. He figures his macros are about 75% fat and 25% protein. About. Carnivorous diets are not high in protein unless you choose high protein,/ lean meats like chicken or shellfish.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Any good cut of meat (especially eating a varied diet of meats) along with healthy fats from things like eggs and butter will provide all of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs to thrive.

So, you're down with scurvy then?

Actually, the Inuit and other traditional cultures would get plenty of vitamin C from raw meat, particularly liver and other organ meat (cooking destroys it). The Maasai would often drink raw cows blood accessed with a fleam in the jugular--I wonder if that provides vitamin C as well. Mmmmm....very interesting, but don't think I'll be doing this diet any time soon.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

C is in meats. The sailors of yesteryear had scurvy because their diet was flour and sugar based which increases your C requirements.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Eating organ meat occasionally (and not cooking the other meats to complete oblivion) will provide more than enough vitamin C for the body to thrive.

My typical meals include eggs, cheese, pork/beef/chicken and dairy fats - butter and heavy whipping cream. I do eat liver (both beef and chicken) but not very often as I am the only one in the family that will eat them. Yes, I get trace carbs from the dairy but my usual intake is under 5 grams a day. I have had mushrooms twice in the last 10 days because I like them when they have been cooked with a roast and they have soaked up all that meaty goodness, but other than that, I haven't eaten more than a couple of veggies in the last month (and no fruit at all).
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

C is in meats. The sailors of yesteryear had scurvy because their diet was flour and sugar based which increases your C requirements.

Organ meat tends to contain the most vitamin C, and I don't consider those to be "good cuts of meat".
  • French_Peasant
    Options

Organ meat tends to contain the most vitamin C, and I don't consider those to be "good cuts of meat".

I don't mean to make an argument for a no-carb diet, which I think is either insane or the product of an extreme environment in which the genetically unfit are swiftly and efficiently winnowed out (and even then, plenty of vitamin-c-containing carbs are eaten and preserved for the winter), but it's a fairly recent innovation in which offal has been treated with disdain; from foie gras to dirty rice, liver for example has been the crown jewel of French and Creole/Cajun cuisine. Also, dishes like tête de veau grace many a Michelin-starred menu.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

I don't mean to make an argument for a no-carb diet, which I think is either insane or the product of an extreme environment in which the genetically unfit are swiftly and efficiently winnowed out (and even then, plenty of vitamin-c-containing carbs are eaten and preserved for the winter), but it's a fairly recent innovation in which offal has been treated with disdain; from foie gras to dirty rice, liver for example has been the crown jewel of French and Creole/Cajun cuisine. Also, dishes like tête de veau grace many a Michelin-starred menu.

I'm well aware of the culinary uses of organ meat. But that doesn't mean I have consider them to be good cuts of meat. It's just a personal preference.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Low carb, yes. Cut out overly processed foods, yes.
    No carb, close to impossible to eliminate carbs totally.
    Your body/brain needs carbs.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

I'm well aware of the culinary uses of organ meat. But that doesn't mean I have consider them to be good cuts of meat. It's just a personal preference.

I was under the impression that the discussion was on the theoretical mechanics of sustaining this particular diet; if I missed that we were discussing your personal preferences and their relationship to scurvy instead of the historical sweep of the elements contributing to the diet, please accept my apologies.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Lara_z wrote: »
    I eat a lot of carbs. Like white bread, potatoes, white rice, pasta.

Would it be a problem to completely cut out carbs from my diet for 1-2 weeks?
    With the exception of having ready break in the morning for breakfast. And just have a diet of fruit, veg and protein?

I've read here that starchy food can contribute to weight gain and I want to cut it out together with high sugar foods (like cakes and biscuits) for a couple of weeks.

Would this be a good idea?
    Has anyone tried cutting down on carbs?

You are aware that fruit is almost completely carbs and a lot of veggies are high in carbs, right????
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    I was under the impression that the discussion was on the theoretical mechanics of sustaining this particular diet; if I missed that we were discussing your personal preferences and their relationship to scurvy instead of the historical sweep of the elements contributing to the diet, please accept my apologies.

You did, indeed, miss it and I accept your apology.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Low carb, yes. Cut out overly processed foods, yes.
    No carb, close to impossible to eliminate carbs totally.
    Your body/brain needs carbs.

It doesn't, the body can convert from fat and protein.