March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Macy and her did not meet face to face, lots of glass door interaction. Two females on Macy's turf didn't sound like a good idea to me. Sadly she went to animal control, I can't get another dog and as it is my boyfriend's son is asking me to take his lab because he "doesn't have time for her" gggrrr!! So Daisy might be coming my way. I did post on my lost doggie post that she is awesome and someone needs to adopt her as soon as she is available. @7lenny7 I cried when animal control took her. @lporter229 she came with the bandana, no other collar.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Macy and her did not meet face to face, lots of glass door interaction. Two females on Macy's turf didn't sound like a good idea to me. Sadly she went to animal control, I can't get another dog and as it is my boyfriend's son is asking me to take his lab because he "doesn't have time for her" gggrrr!! So Daisy might be coming my way. I did post on my lost doggie post that she is awesome and someone needs to adopt her as soon as she is available. @7lenny7 I cried when animal control took her. @lporter229 she came with the bandana, no other collar.

Hopefully, her owners will find her. She seems like a lover of a dog.

My last dog was a wanderer. I don't think she could ever find her way home. She just followed her nose to wherever the interesting smells were. The worst time was when we lost her over Thanksgiving weekend. She got out while we were bringing xmas decorations in. Then we realized we cancelled our home phone since we had her tags made, but our address was listed. We put up signs, but fortunately, the people who found her called our vet listed on her rabies tag, but we had to wait until Monday so we went a few days not knowing where our beloved dog was.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 8 miles
    3/3 - 16 miles

3/5 - 7 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
    3/7 - 6.5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 6 miles
    3/10 - 13.4 miles

3/12 - 6 miles
    3/13 - 8 miles
    3/14 - 6 miles
    3/15 - 10 miles
    3/16 - 6 miles

3/19 - 13.1 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 7 miles
    3/22 - 8 miles
    3/23 - 7 miles
    3/24 - 3.5 miles

3/29 - 6 miles
    3/30 - 6 miles

The silly things are pretty popular. I love the YouTube clip of someone doing a great job at American Ninja Warrior in one.
    @autumnblade75 I love it!! Just run an extension cord out into your yard and run on the treadmill or go to the local gym where the ceilings are higher

My treadmill is way too heavy for shenanigans of that sort. The gym, now - there's a thought. I had to cancel my membership when my husband bought the treadmill, but they've got a free indoor track for residents...
    ritzvin wrote: »

After watching that video, I'm unsure of the wisdom of bringing it out for Sunday's race, even if I manage to run a few test miles in it, tomorrow. It's a crowded one, and I hadn't considered dragging the tail along behind me...
    ariceroni wrote: »
    @autumnblade75 OMG I'm dying!! I wonder if there is a world record category for fastest race while dressed as a dinosaur? Could be a fun goal :lol:

I suspect it won't be me. But if I can manage 9:30 min/miles in the costume (just for 5 of them, I'm not asking a lot!) I'd run it. There's probably a way to keep the tail from getting stepped on...
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Didn't have time for a run today due to family stuff (it's my son's spring break so I get to see him more this week, YAY). Not sure if I'll get a chance to run tomorrow but I do plan to try after outpatient and before going to see my son. So far I have 124.1 running miles for March, which isn't too bad considering all the *kitten* I've been dealing with.

Oh, did I mention that my car is back in the shop, on top of everything else? Yeah. So I may have to go pick it up after outpatient instead of running, but we'll see.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Got a scheduling question for the sages here. My wife has her first solo (I'm not running) 5k coming up in about 3 weeks, I'm totally excited for her, and am trying to be very supportive. It's on a Saturday at 0900, about an hour and a half away, and packet pick up ends at 0830. I'm sup)posed to run a 15 mile long run that day.

Right now options are:

1. wake up VERY early and try to get it in ahead of time (ugh, not a happy thought.
    2. Run some time later in the day, knowing I'll be tired from driving 3 hours and watching an active 2 year old while my wife races
    3. Swap my Sat and Sun runs (sun is a 3 miler) knowing I'll have an 8 mile run on Monday, after running 15 on Sunday.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good plan of attack for that weekend?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Got a scheduling question for the sages here. My wife has her first solo (I'm not running) 5k coming up in about 3 weeks, I'm totally excited for her, and am trying to be very supportive. It's on a Saturday at 0900, about an hour and a half away, and packet pick up ends at 0830. I'm sup)posed to run a 15 mile long run that day.

Right now options are:

1. wake up VERY early and try to get it in ahead of time (ugh, not a happy thought.
    2. Run some time later in the day, knowing I'll be tired from driving 3 hours and watching an active 2 year old while my wife races
    3. Swap my Sat and Sun runs (sun is a 3 miler) knowing I'll have an 8 mile run on Monday, after running 15 on Sunday.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good plan of attack for that weekend?

How about: Run 8 miles Saturday in the best compromise for your schedule, either getting up early, running later, or splitting the difference with a daily double. Run 15 miles Sunday. Run 3 miles Monday as the recovery run from the 15 miles Sunday. If you choose to do the Saturday run after the 5K, you don't have to choose between this strategy and Option 2 until you see how tired you are when you're running on Saturday.

Or if you're feeling pretty well conditioned in 3 weeks, just go with Option 3 and accept an 8 mile run the day after a 15 mile run. It really depends on whether running 8 miles the day after running 15 miles is a big deal for your conditioning level when the situation arrives.

Actually, if you don't run till you get back from the 5K you can decide at that point whether you're running 3, 8, or 15 miles on Saturday.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thanks for the advice...LOL....Somehow I never thought about the fact that if I'm running after the 5k. I like the idea of not getting up at like 0330 to fit a run in and then driving all that distance.

Maybe I should have mentioned, the 15 will be the LR for a cutback week, the previous 2 long runs will have been 17, and Monday's 8 starts the next training week, not that that's really set in stone as far as switching runs around, I just happen to have a Mon-Sun training schedule with the LR on day 6.....my mind is going a mile a minute...too much late in the day coffee.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Another 4km on the dreadmill tonight before Yoga!!

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @orphia, the calculator I posted earlier does cover walking (as well biking, dancing, and many other activities), and is based on speed.
    This one is for gross calorie burn (includes what you burned just by being alive)
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.shtml
    And this one converts it to net calorie burn (includes only the extra calories from the activity.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.shtml
    It's irritating that they can't put this all on one calculator! There probably is one out there that will do that, but this is the one that I've found that clearly tells you how they arrive at the values, and they use the values from scientific studies.

@7lenny7 Great! Thank you!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for the helpful article!

@ROBOTFOOD Running those hills in a dust storm! :open_mouth: Crazy, but in a good way!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Last Run of the Month and it leaves me 20.5 km short of goal.
    A little 6 km shorty along the Riverbank Trails. Spring is finally here.
    The Ice on the River is starting to break up and flow. Carrying Huge Trees along that have been ripped out of the Banks by the Ice as it forms Mini Dams and then breaks free to continue moving.
    April will start out slow as I am in Taper Mode for Jasper HM.
    See everyone in April.

03/01 7.0 km –7.0 km –133.0 km – YTD 187.55
    03/02 5.0 km –12.0 km –128.0 km – YTD 192.55
    03/08 10.5 km – 22.5 km –117.5 km – YTD 203.05
    03/11 19.0 km – 41.5 km –98.5 km – YTD 222.05
    03/12 5.0 km – 46.5 km – 93.5 km – YTD 227.05
    03/15 7.0 km – 53.5 km – 86.5 km – YTD 234.05
    03/17 13.0 km – 66.5 km –73.5 km – YTD 247.05
    03/20 14.0 km – 80.5 km – 59.5 km – YTD 261.05
    03/22 7.0 km – 87.5 km – 52.5 km – YTD 268.05
    03/25 6.0 km – 93.5 km – 46.5 km – YTD 274.05
    03/26 20.0 km – 113.5 km – 26.5 km – YTD 294.05