March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning you made an awesome comeback!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ There must be something weird with my setup, but I just have zeros for all my calorie counts in Strava...I see all the other data (elevation etc), just no calorie burn. I'm not too fussed though; I get all the data I need through Garmin Connect.
    @garygse The only explanation I can imagine is that maybe you didn't enter your weight in your profile? Strava probably needs that to calculate calorie burn.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Got a mile in at Orangetheory yesterday, and two miles in today. So I completed my goal for the month! I go to Orangetheory tomorrow, so I will have maybe another 1-1.5 to add to the total. I'm glad I made it! I wasn't sure if I would! I'm ready for April, also my birthday month! :smiley:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Well look at that...there are all of my calories! Thank you so much; I feel like an idiot now for not even thinking about that, but thank you! Now to answer the earlier question...yeah Strava is definitely overestimating calories: 1516 (Strava) vs 899 (Garmin) for this morning's run. It was 11 miles of very easy running, so even if Strava is showing gross calories as opposed to net, that's still over a 600 calorie difference in less than a couple of hours. :neutral:
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Ticked over my goal yesterday. Now it's all bonus miles. . . or maybe meters. . . ow. Dang speedwork.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I didn't run yesterday because that sore knee from a almost 2 weeks ago was much worse yesterday. It is feeling better today, so I'm going to take a short run tonight wearing a brace. I won't run tomorrow night before the Sat. morning race. I'll still plan to wear the brace on Sat., and that is on the same hilly technical trails where I got runner's knee during a training run. The goal is not to win, but to do my best, not get [more] injured, and at least complete it. I fear that my competitive spirit will put me going to fast early on (I have this issue) and I'll either get injured or at best, my total time will suffer because I start out too fast.

The good news: More recent weather forecasts show rain will not start until afternoon. While the trails may be a bit muddy from rain earlier in the week, it isn't expected to be raining during the race and not even the prior day. So they won't be as bad as they could be.

I'm really quite nervous, but trying to keep expectations low and plan everything in order to curb anxiety. Two things I learned from the 'practice run' I did last Sat.:
    1. I still have a lot of trouble starting out too fast and I need to really make an effort to restrain myself.
    2. I need to not over-dress. Last Sat. it was raining and 40's, so I wore a long-sleeve 1/3 zip with wicking fabric over a synthetic short-sleeve shirt. Despite the rain and cold, I was sweating quite a bit (good thing it was all wicking, and I wouldn't go out with cotton because of sweat anyway). However, I would have been better off with just the short sleeve by the time I was done.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 -Good luck this weekend!

@skippygirlsmom -She is a beauty! Did she have the bandana around her neck already? If so, at least you know she belongs to somebody. I'm sure they will come for her. If not, I might just drive down there and get her!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    03/02: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:29 pace
    03/04: 3.04 mile easy run, 9:31 pace
    03/05: 10.07 mile long run, 9:28 pace
    03/06: 3.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace
    03/08: 4.01 mile easy run, 9:32 pace
    03/09: 6.03 mile run - 4 mile tempo, 8:08 average pace
    03/10: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace
    03/12: 12.05 mile long run, 9:28 pace
    03/14: 5.00 mile tempo run
    03/16: 4.19 mile easy run, 9:41 pace
    03/17: 4.08 mile easy run, 9:29 pace
    03/19: 10 mile race - 1:19:00 - new PR!!!
    03/20: 3.07 mile easy run, 9:30 pace
    03/22: 4.08 mile easy run, 9:20 pace
    03/24: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:28 pace
    03/26: 8.07 mile long run, 9:35 pace
    03/27: 4.10 mile easy run, 9:30 pace
    03/28: 5.11 mile run, 9x400m repeats (1:42 average)
    03/30: 4.09 mile easy run, 9:34 pace
    Total: 102.54 miles

Notes:
    Just some easy miles this morning. One of my goals for this month was to actually do my easy runs at an easy pace, and I've done a great job sticking to it! I'm definitely starting to appreciate the power of slow runs :) Just one run left this month- some goal race pace miles tomorrow. We'll see how it goes, right now the forecast is calling for cold (mid 30s), rain, and high winds (15+ mph) so I might call it a "tempo" run instead of race pace that way I don't feel bad running a little slower than goal when I'm heading into the wind :lol:

Love all this talk about Boston! It helps keep me motivated for some of my long-term running goals! One of which is to qualify for and run Boston
    @girlinahat what a lovely place to vacation! Love the pictures
    @MNLittleFinn welcome back! I definitely understand needing that time away, it's hard to stay active on here when everyone is doing what you love while you cant :disappointed:
    @autumnblade75 OMG I'm dying!! I wonder if there is a world record category for fastest race while dressed as a dinosaur? Could be a fun goal :lol:
    @WhatMeRunning Awesome comeback, congratulations on crushing your goal for the month!
    @7lenny7 That's some amazing improvement! It can be hard day to day to notice any changes, but I always love hearing about long-term improvement like that. Keeps me motivated to get out there and keep working hard!
    @skippygirlsmom Aww she is too cute! I hope you can find her owners, they must be missing her so much :(

exercise.png

Training For:
    03/19: Excalibur 10 Miler (Viera, FL) 1:19:00 - new PR!
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That sounds like a fun race! 16 with 4700ft vert NIIIIIIIICE! I'd be all over that! Might be a good idea to use poles for those climbs. I've been thinking about getting some.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    Got my Peachtree Road Race confirmation the other day, pretty happy about that!

fe2m2x.jpg

Holla when we get closer - I'm doing it too, and we gotta meet up!