March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Got a scheduling question for the sages here. My wife has her first solo (I'm not running) 5k coming up in about 3 weeks, I'm totally excited for her, and am trying to be very supportive. It's on a Saturday at 0900, about an hour and a half away, and packet pick up ends at 0830. I'm sup)posed to run a 15 mile long run that day.

Right now options are:

1. wake up VERY early and try to get it in ahead of time (ugh, not a happy thought.
    2. Run some time later in the day, knowing I'll be tired from driving 3 hours and watching an active 2 year old while my wife races
    3. Swap my Sat and Sun runs (sun is a 3 miler) knowing I'll have an 8 mile run on Monday, after running 15 on Sunday.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good plan of attack for that weekend?

Knowing me, I would just run the 15 miles Saturday night. I've done that many times. I even done that 2 weekends ago. I ran an 18 mile long run late in the early evening AFTER I got up early that morning to help my neighbor and good friend move. I learned that running a long run after carrying furniture up and down stairs all morning is really tough. The last 6 miles of what normally would be a pretty easy 18 miler ended up feeling like the last 6 miles of a marathon. Maybe in hindsight it's good practice. LOL But I think the hardest thing about running a marathon is training for a marathon, and the hardest thing about training for a marathon is training for a marathon while still doing real life. My hats to you @MNLittleFinn if you pull off both (the 15 miler AND supporting your wife).

The second thing in this post that bothers me is that you have to drive an hour and a half for a 5K. I realize where you live and you don't have much of that stuff where you are. I guess it makes me appreciate where I live where practically every weekend here in the Huntsville area there is so much going on as far as races and group runs. I take it for granite that there is so much going on when it comes to running in this area.

Just this weekend alone is Oak Barrel Half at the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, TN. There's probably about 30 local people going up there to run it. There's a local Shamrock 5K in town also on Saturday as well as a Superheroes 5K the next day on Sunday (both to support the national Children's Advocacy Center) plus a 5K (Double Helix Dash) race on Tuesday night in town (you can actually see a lot of that double helix in lot a lot of strava training runs). That's just this week. Last week we had a big McKay Hollow 15K and 25K trail race on Monte Sano Mountain. The BridgeStreet Half Marathon is next Sunday that @skippygirlsmom is doing. Cookie dash 5K is the following weekend (Apr 15) which is in town. In Decatur (less than 30 minute drive) 3M River City Run 10k/5k/Fun Run this Saturday and the Heel and Crank Duathlon on Apr 8 in Mooresville, AL which is also about a half hour away drive. And that's just this weekend and next weekend. Every weekend is like that around here. If races were hard to find around here, like if I had to drive 90 minutes just for a 5K and have to plan for it way in advance, I probably would not be as enthused. My hats to all of you that aren't as lucky when it comes to find races so easy.

EDIT: Scanning Facebook, I also noticed that there is also the Grissom HS JRTC Warrior 5K this Saturday. lol
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    How far would you go to ask your girl to go to the prom with you?

http://www.today.com/parents/ohio-teen-runs-5-5-miles-spell-out-promposal-app-t109348
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Stoshew71 We're in a town of 2,000 so there aren't any races closer. She's running a 3 race series, the KP Challenge that's meant to encourage new runners. She ran a 4k a few weeks ago, she has the 5k in a few weeks, and a 5 mile in July. It's run by the same organization that's hosting my Marathon. It's also in the closest "big city" so there's the chance of getting lunch and such after, before heading home....we make a day of it whenever we head down, since it's about 65 miles. When my wife told me she wanted to run the Challenge, I was exstatic, it was only later that I thought about the logistics of fitting it into my own training schedule....LOL.....

This is just one of the new "complications" I've found with getting my wife into running....LOL......

Edit: we might be driving down the night before and staying the night in a hotel. That would make things easier....have to see if my wife can get an early out.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    1/3/17 3.4m - faceplant!!!!
    2/3/17 2.7m
    4/3/14 9.8m
    5/3/17 2.9m
    8/3/17 3.8m
    9/3/17 4m
    11/3/17 10.5m
    15/3/17 3.5m
    16/3/17 5.1m
    20/3/17 1.7m
    21/3/17 3.3m and 3.1,m
    22/3/17 2.9m
    28/3/17 9.6m

Totals: 66.3/70

Target 70 miles

Planned races -

7.5.17 HM-ish The Ox Wiltshire.
    30.7.17 HM-ish Dorset Invader
    27.8.17 East Farm Frolic

back to struggling with fatigue this week. I have only worked two days since I had some leave to use up but have been shattered all week. Then remembered that in addition to my usual hour each way commute I drove 700 miles in four days over the weekend. That might explain part of it!!!!

I'm trying to find an app or similar where I can simply record my lack of energy/motivation in calendar/graph form so I can see peaks and troughs. If anyone has any suggestions - I've found a couple of ME-type ones but I want something that pays attention to my diet and exercise habits too.

Had the day off today, and the sun is shining. Had some bookings to make for an Italy trip so apart from grocery shopping all I've done all day is read a book. BUT - I just noticed that I have 3.7m left in order to hit my goal and it's the last day of the month.......off to get the trainers on and go for a slow easy 3.7m run!!!!

see you on the flip side!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @skippygirlsmom - I have to chuckle at the idea of a 65 mile drive being a long way to go for a race, when you live in a racing community. On March 18 I could have volunteered to pace Spring Forward 15K at a 7:30 pace, treated it as practicing MP for 9.3 hilly miles, got a free entry, had an easy 20 minute commute to the site, and possibly won my age group* even though I wasn't racing. It would have been a good Boston tune up. Instead, I endured an 11.5 hour drive to Virginia Beach to run a flat 8K hard and finish 8th in my age group. LOL.

OTOH, my team mates are happier with me for supporting the team. Sometimes life overrides doing the optimum thing for training.

*I don't know whether pacers with comped entries were eligible for age group awards. The actual winner of the 60-64 age group at Spring Forward averaged 8:34 per mile.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @mobycarp my first 5K was in West, Texas 11.5 hour drive, 749 miles...but I cannot lie, I flew. It was also 102F in the shade and it was basically over 1 mile out, around a few blocks and over a mile back. All you could see was the heat rising off the street. Best EVER water station handed out small sponges that were sitting in a bucket of ice water.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow runners!

Aim: 120k

3/2: 1.5k -warmup for strenght training-
    3/3: 11.6k -5.49 min/km-
    3/4: 4.4k -wu and cd for strength training-
    3/5: 10.7k -Perfect trail, a little bit tired at the end-
    3/8: 6.5k -easy incline-
    3/9: 8k -treadmill, intervals-
    3/11: 6k -last shake out before race-
    3/12: 13k -Trail Race-
    3/14: 5k -cool down from race and from strength training-
    3/15: 4k -cool down-
    3/16: 6.2k -empty stomach early morning run-
    3/20: 1.3k -walk/run at gym-
    3/22: 2k -cool down from strength training-
    3/23: 7.2k -soft ground, easy-
    3/25: 10.1k -quad test, negative splits-
    3/26: 12.5k -trail running-
    3/28: 3.5k -w/u and c/d for leg strength training-
    3/29: 6.7 -trail easy morning run-
    3/31: 6.8k -fartlek-

SUM: 127/120k
    Goal achieved

Let's make a plan for the following month

Take care and stay strong!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    If my wife decided she wanted to run a 5K, I'd be willing an entire day just to get her there. She has NO interest at all in running.

Mine too, sadly :neutral:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm a tiny bit jealous... my community is definitely not a running community at all. This is why my races are 2 hours drive away and I never know anybody. It's alright, though... I usually prefer to run alone because I fear my pace and such would be a major drag on everyone. I have literally never run with a group, ever, except obviously at races.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom When I saw Skip's promposal when you posted on FB, I got a chuckle. And I am sure you're right that I am missing 5 more races going on this weekend. lol

@MNLittleFinn That would be awesome if you could make a weekend out of it and go down the night before.

@MobyCarp Virg Beach is a nice destination race. I promised myself more destination races once I BQ. The furthest I gone so far for a race is Knoxville which is only a 3-1/2 hour drive from me.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn That would be awesome if you could make a weekend out of it and go down the night before
    Wife got her early out approved, so we're going to be staying the night, Friday, in town. I still have to figure out my run time, but I can more easily see myself getting it in when we come home now, since I won't be driving for 3 hours in 1 day. Chances it will be head down Friday, stay the night, she runs her race while I watch little man, then we get lunch and head home.

I'll e able to get my run in around like 2-3pm possibly, and that might be a good thing, since it will be warmer then, and I'll get some heat conditioning in....LOL...heat conditioning in 60F weather that is...LOL